TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

I don't know where you heard Cannibal was forceless. I loved it last October. The first drop has incredible air. The rest of the ride is no Kumba, but it does have some good hangtime and pulls some Gs.

Coaster Studios.

Who's views I usually agree with, even in ways/rides I differ from many. Also, I just haven't heard much about it, or the park, at all so thus why Im seeking input. And yeah that drop has me kind of amazed. I am super curious what 200 foot (very) beyond vertical drop is like

Coaster Studios.

Who's views I usually agree with, even in ways/rides I differ from many. Also, I just haven't heard much about it, or the park, at all so thus why Im seeking input. And yeah that drop has me kind of amazed. I am super curious what 200 foot (very) beyond vertical drop is like

Never, ever let one person's opinion dictate how you feel about a park, ride, or experience before you get to go there yourself. For all you know your favorite coaster could end up being Puff The Little Fire Dragon.

Coaster Studios.

Never, ever let one person's opinion dictate how you feel about a park, ride, or experience before you get to go there yourself. For all you know your favorite coaster could end up being Puff The Little Fire Dragon.

Nah I feel ya. Perhaps bad wording, (as Im prone to!) not like that swayed me either way, I was planning on going, just looking for input

And nah my #1 was MForce for 14 years no one's opinion can sway me.

Is it single rider friendly? I know some rides you cant ride front/back solo which is fine, and for any that require two people guess I'll have to ask someone, which is also fine.

One or two of the coasters required two riders. I can't recall the specifics, I'm sure a local will chime in.

Jet Star II is the only one not allowing single riders outright. You need to ride that one in groups of 2 or 3.

Lagoon doesn't allow single riders in the front or back row of any coaster except Spider (spinner) and Puff (kiddie). I think on the Wild Mouse single riders could only ride in the front or back (forget which).

Wicked and Cannibal have awesome single rider lines that'll save you a ton of time.

Well, since I'll be in CA, which isn't close to Lagoon but the closest I'll be any time ever in the forseeable future, I may try to stop by. Perhaps take a layover in Salt Lake City. (Nothing flies directly to Tallahassee anyway) Esp since it seems I can get from the Airport to park without a rental car!?

I know this is a family park with a collection of mostly moderate rides, but I've heard good things about Wicked, not as much about Cannibal, (was let down to hear its supposedly forceless???) but I do love a Schwarzkopf. CoasterStudios, who's opinions seem to strongly align with mine, found the spinning coaster and....Roller Coaster not bad either.

Think its worth a day trip to the park? For a solo traveler esp? Is Cannibal as awesome as it seems?

I see that in Sept, when I'd likely be going, its basically weekend hours. Any idea what crowds would be like on a Sept weekend?

I would expect moderate to heavy crowds on a September weekend. It depends on if Frightmares has started yet since that draws lots of people. The park is definitely doable on crowded days though thanks to the wonderful single rider lines on Cannibal and Wicked as well as overall solid operations for the major rides.

Honestly, the worst part about crowded days at Lagoon is navigating through people on the midway since the park has no queue space for the major coasters, flat rides, or food services. On any crowded day, the lines spill into the walkways and can get rather obnoxious to deal with.

Cannibal is an excellent coaster. I wouldn't say it's "top 10 in the country" or anything of the like, but it does what it's supposed to very well and has some unique elements you really can't find on other coasters. I like it mostly for its originality and weirdness.

Cannibal is an excellent coaster. I wouldn't say it's "top 10 in the country" or anything of the like, but it does what it's supposed to very well and has some unique elements you really can't find on other coasters. I like it mostly for its originality and weirdness.

I actually disagree about the top 10 thing. I may be the black sheep here but I REALLY like Cannibal. It's in my personal top 10. Granted, I haven't been around the block nearly as much as a lot of the other people on the site, but I think Cannibal is just a fun coaster. It's super re-ride-able. It's not forceful, that's true, but it has a ton of hangtime and the first drop is absolutely amazing.

Take that for what you will. I hope I'm not alone in this, I think this ride deserves more credit than it gets.

Well, since I'll be in CA, which isn't close to Lagoon but the closest I'll be any time ever in the forseeable future, I may try to stop by. Perhaps take a layover in Salt Lake City. (Nothing flies directly to Tallahassee anyway) Esp since it seems I can get from the Airport to park without a rental car!?

I know this is a family park with a collection of mostly moderate rides, but I've heard good things about Wicked, not as much about Cannibal, (was let down to hear its supposedly forceless???) but I do love a Schwarzkopf. CoasterStudios, who's opinions seem to strongly align with mine, found the spinning coaster and....Roller Coaster not bad either.

Think its worth a day trip to the park? For a solo traveler esp? Is Cannibal as awesome as it seems?

I see that in Sept, when I'd likely be going, its basically weekend hours. Any idea what crowds would be like on a Sept weekend?

I would expect moderate to heavy crowds on a September weekend. It depends on if Frightmares has started yet since that draws lots of people. The park is definitely doable on crowded days though thanks to the wonderful single rider lines on Cannibal and Wicked as well as overall solid operations for the major rides.

Honestly, the worst part about crowded days at Lagoon is navigating through people on the midway since the park has no queue space for the major coasters, flat rides, or food services. On any crowded day, the lines spill into the walkways and can get rather obnoxious to deal with.

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. TPR to the rescue as always. It would likely be early to mid Sept. Waiting on WCB dates. I may just try a weekday, so in August, just to try and avoid the crowds entirely.

I actually disagree about the top 10 thing. I may be the black sheep here but I REALLY like Cannibal. It's in my personal top 10. Granted, I haven't been around the block nearly as much as a lot of the other people on the site, but I think Cannibal is just a fun coaster. It's super re-ride-able. It's not forceful, that's true, but it has a ton of hangtime and the first drop is absolutely amazing.

Take that for what you will. I hope I'm not alone in this, I think this ride deserves more credit than it gets.

...4.5 Gs isn't forceful. Got it! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. TPR to the rescue as always. It would likely be early to mid Sept. Waiting on WCB dates. I may just try a weekday, so in August, just to try and avoid the crowds entirely.

Yeah, August is Hot and Crowded, even on week days. lol I might be able to get a great discount voucher for you...maybe not as good as Doppel Looping, but close.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It's not forceful, that's true,

ok

whatever

It's forceful, but it doesn't throw you around like Maverick or anything.

better?

I guess forceful is the wrong word. It's not...intense? Again the wrong word because this ride will scare the living crap out of you if you're afraid of heights or hanging upside down with a lapbar. I think enthusiasts have been trying too hard to judge how good a ride is based on how crazy it moves and how much you'll get thrown around, hence the hype of RMC. Yes, those rides are good, because they're good at what they do. But different rides are good for different reasons. Among my personal top 10 are Beast, Diamondback, TTD, and Eejanaika and they are all COMPLETELY different rides. Cannibal does some weird crap, but instead of its gimmicks being outerbank turns and stengel dives, they're lagoon rolls and gigantic loops. It provides an insane amount of quality hangtime and that's why you'll fall in love with it when you ride.

Bottom line: Cannibal is a good ride. Throw out the typical enthusiast's "best coaster ever" and expect something completely new.

It's not forceful, that's true,

ok

whatever

It's forceful, but it doesn't throw you around like Maverick or anything.

better?

I guess forceful is the wrong word. It's not...intense? Again the wrong word because this ride will scare the living crap out of you if you're afraid of heights or hanging upside down with a lapbar. I think enthusiasts have been trying too hard to judge how good a ride is based on how crazy it moves and how much you'll get thrown around, hence the hype of RMC. Yes, those rides are good, because they're good at what they do. But different rides are good for different reasons. Among my personal top 10 are Beast, Diamondback, TTD, and Eejanaika and they are all COMPLETELY different rides. Cannibal does some weird crap, but instead of its gimmicks being outerbank turns and stengel dives, they're lagoon rolls and gigantic loops. It provides an insane amount of quality hangtime and that's why you'll fall in love with it when you ride.

Bottom line: Cannibal is a good ride. Throw out the typical enthusiast's "best coaster ever" and expect something completely new.

I was just joshing you dude! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yeah, August is Hot and Crowded, even on week days. lol I might be able to get a great discount voucher for you...maybe not as good as Doppel Looping, but close.

For real? Well, I may flip a coin then on aug weekday or sept weekend and risk it, apparently the single rider line is quite helpful.

Hey Im excited about Cannibal. Honestly the idea of a very beyond vertical 200+ foot drop alone. And I cant pass up the chance to get to certain parks I will realistically prob never get to again. Like I'd kick myself.

Oh and hot I always am basically from June to Sept so no way around that

• 1 month later...

I'm currently at the park, and cranes are now on site for Primordial. One of those cranes is massive. Logic would state that for any construction project, you should use the smallest possible crane to do the job due to their expense to rent. The big crane is a Kobelco CK2500 II (the model name is plastered on the crane itself.) The thing has a max height of 300 feet according to Kobelco' s catalog, while the next largest model is 250 feet tall. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that this new ride is gonna be a 250 - 300 foot tall behemoth.

I'm currently at the park, and cranes are now on site for Primordial. One of those cranes is massive. Logic would state that for any construction project, you should use the smallest possible crane to do the job due to their expense to rent. The big crane is a Kobelco CK2500 II (the model name is plastered on the crane itself.) The thing has a max height of 300 feet according to Kobelco' s catalog, while the next largest model is 250 feet tall. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that this new ride is gonna be a 250 - 300 foot tall behemoth.
Lagoon has not filed a height variance with Farmington City, which means they can build the mountain for Primordial up to a height of 217 Feet.

I would expect a family thrill ride/coaster. Lagoon has a huge family demographic and their last two biggest rides catered to the thrill seekers.

However, I feel we will see a lot of money go into theming for this ride. After the success of the Terroride revamp, I expect some great theming results for this ride that everyone will love, kids and adults alike.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

There are a lot of big coasters in 2020 but this is one of the most fascinating simply because we have no clue what it'll be.
Except, as the park previously announced, Primordial won't open in 2020, and 2021 is possible, but 2022 is probable.

Except, as the park previously announced, Primordial won't open in 2020, and 2021 is possible, but 2022 is probable.

I wish Lagoon would take a lesson from Hansa Park and build the ride to be operational ASAP, work on the themeing after the fact. It took Karnan, what, three years to be fully themed? But it was operational and still became my #1 (effortlessly, I might add) back in 2016.

I wish Lagoon would take a lesson from Hansa Park and build the ride to be operational ASAP, work on the themeing after the fact. It took Karnan, what, three years to be fully themed?

There are different theme park expectations between Europe and the United States.

• 1 month later...

Despite living about an hour away, I went to the park for the first time this season today. It was a fun day! I love this little park. Some thoughts on the rides:

Cannibal: Great as ever. Still a top 10 for me, and possibly my favorite first drop on any roller coaster. The amount of insane ejector air on that drop is ridiculously satisfying. The Lagoon roll ain't half bad, either!

Jet Star 2: "mini colossus" in my opinion. It's quite forceful and much more thrilling than it looks.

Colossus: I can't help but love this ride. It's a people eater, meaning it never has a line. Rode in the front, back, and middle, and I like the back the best (although they don't always let you choose your row). The ride is really forceful and gets so close to the ground at the end that the advice "keep your hands in the car" becomes very, very important. Man, what a ride!

Spider: Fun as always. Didn't spin too much this time around. I liked Sierra Sidewinder better.

Roller Coaster: Honestly, not as good as I remembered. My GP friends were not fans, but I enjoyed the ride. You can get some mini-pops of air in the front and the back, but nothing too crazy. It's a little shaky, but what else can you expect from a 1920 roller coaster? It has a really nice classic feel.

Bombora: Fun with good capacity; a great fit for the park. Surprisingly forceful on the helix.

Puff: I caved and got the credit. My friends were super embarrassed; I made them ride with me

Terror Ride: Surprisingly well done. A little morbid for my taste, but fun nonetheless.

Wicked: Eh. The tower and the well-designed zero-g roll were the only redeeming qualities. I'm sorry, but this ride has not aged well. The bottom of the drop hurt my back a bit, and all the turns and curves were all too rough to enjoy. I'm praying that Cannibal does not end up like this in a few years!

The park has an amazing collection of flats. A lot of flats make me sick, so I normally skip them. If you're into flat rides, though, you'll enjoy Lagoon.

Took a look over toward Primordial as I rode Rocket, though. I didn't get a picture from up there for obvious reasons, but it looks pretty interesting. There's what looks to be the start of an irregular-shaped building. I wish I could tell you more, but despite living close I rarely find the time to actually visit the park.

• 3 weeks later...

So, my time off has been approved and I am planning my West Coast trip.

Lagoon is not really near CA, but its not near anything really and since I apparently get out west every 6 years, I figure might as well make my layover Salt Lake City and check it out? Cannibal and the Schwarzkopf's alone seem worth it!

What crowds can be expected on a Sept weekend (like the Sat the 7th or Sun the 8th)? Earlier I was not sure on dates but now Im 99% certain it'll be one of those days. In general, how much time is needed to do the park and in general what can be expected?

I recall earlier some were saying there is reliable, easy public transport to get from the airport to lagoon without any need for rental car/uber/etc?

I used a car during my one trip there simply because I needed to store my luggage somewhere. It is probably 20 minutes from the airport if I remember correctly, so an Uber wouldn't be too costly.

Wicked and Cannibal both have single rider lines that can save you a lot of time.

I think the biggest thing with Lagoon is whether or not you only care about the coasters. I thought I would have enough time to leave in the middle of the day to ride the nearby mountain coasters, but I absolutely needed a whole day there to do all the non-coasters and get rerides on everything.