Las Vegas Area Attractions Discussion

Attractions around The Vegas Area. Past, Present & Future
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Las Vegas Area Attractions Discussion

Postby Jew » Wed May 29, 2019 11:24 am

KBrylczyk wrote:^ The rumor is most, if not all, existing Cirque shows at MGM properties will be going bye bye within the next two years. Run is a new show and new format, so hopefully it'll turn out well enough since it isn't going to the "same old crap" for the umpteenth time.

Change has to be coming, as all of the Cirque shows in Vegas have had very long runs. I'm not sure what all the hotels would do with those spaces. The market is already saturated for concert venues. I could definitely see a return of popular Broadway shows (Hamilton I'm sure would be a huge hit) and refreshed shows/new concepts from Cirque.

Penn & Teller could be looking for a new home if the persistent rumors of Rio being sold and then demolished are true.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ryder » Wed May 29, 2019 11:34 am

I'm not saying I agree with this, but I was seeing articles that were stating that the powers that be in Vegas are seeing less of a future in running expensive, high cast shows (like Cirque), and shifting the focus to DJs and starpower acts (Elton John, Lady Gaga, Cher, etc.). They feel those are the draws for that all important "millennial" crowd.

And strangely, they seem to feel no one really cares much about the parking and resort fees. Personally, if this is true, I feel they have their heads up their asses.

Postby Jew » Wed May 29, 2019 12:00 pm

ryder wrote:I'm not saying I agree with this, but I was seeing articles that were stating that the powers that be in Vegas are seeing less of a future in running expensive, high cast shows (like Cirque), and shifting the focus to DJs and starpower acts (Elton John, Lady Gaga, Cher, etc.). They feel those are the draws for that all important "millennial" crowd.

And strangely, they seem to feel no one really cares much about the parking and resort fees. Personally, if this is true, I feel they have their heads up their asses.

They do have their heads up their asses.

Famous DJ's pack the club, but the return on investment also diminishes quickly. You're only going to pay $5k+ for a table or the $50+ cover once. They play Vegas so much, it loses some of it's luster. At that is also a heavily saturated market with KAOS, Wynn, Drais, and Hakkasan group all competing for that same guy with money to blow on a table.

Residencies need larger theaters to be successful to offset the high cost of the performer. Hence why the big names play Park MGM, Zappos, and the Colosseum.

Filling Cirque theaters with residencies would mean B-list celebrities or extremely high ticket prices.
Last edited by Jew on Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 pm.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Wed May 29, 2019 12:30 pm

For that type of show, can't they rotate the act out every 3-5 years? That should cover both ends: You cater to the vacationer to Vegas that wants to go "All Out", but still can rotate the act to not become stale. I got to think that the "All out" type of visitor isn't the same guy thats in town 3-5 times/year....

Postby Jew » Wed May 29, 2019 12:38 pm

RaceBoarder wrote:For that type of show, can't they rotate the act out every 3-5 years? That should cover both ends: You cater to the vacationer to Vegas that wants to go "All Out", but still can rotate the act to not become stale. I got to think that the "All out" type of visitor isn't the same guy thats in town 3-5 times/year....

The Vegas Cirque shows all have extremely high production costs. They wouldn't see a return on investment for at least 5 years, since the theaters are all custom built to the show. Hence why Broadway shows and residencies are easier...they're just touring acts easy to move in and out.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby JeromyL » Wed May 29, 2019 3:39 pm

SharkTums wrote:^I think all of Vegas is hurting. I follow some of the Vegas blogs and there are lots of reports of shows and nightclubs cutting way back.

Honestly, I do not go to the tourist side of town anymore unless it's a very special occasion.. everything has gotten way too expensive.... and the whole charging you to park almost everywhere... I would not be surprised that the local clientele visiting the establishments has also been cut way back
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/1ca0001026f6d685dfa4545ede364cfc.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Jew » Wed May 29, 2019 5:48 pm

JeromyL wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^I think all of Vegas is hurting. I follow some of the Vegas blogs and there are lots of reports of shows and nightclubs cutting way back.

Honestly, I do not go to the tourist side of town anymore unless it's a very special occasion.. everything has gotten way too expensive.... and the whole charging you to park almost everywhere... I would not be surprised that the local clientele visiting the establishments has also been cut way back

It has. And the CA market too. Executives are blind to what they are doing to their brands because they made so much free money. Unfortunately that still wasn't enough and Ceasars and MGM are both cutting as much back as they can and laying people off.

I get comps from MGM properties, otherwise I'd only visit for EDC.

It's a real shame too, as I do believe Vegas is one of the most unique cities in the world since it basically takes the best of every other city and brings it to one 4 mile street.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Wed May 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Jew wrote:
RaceBoarder wrote:For that type of show, can't they rotate the act out every 3-5 years? That should cover both ends: You cater to the vacationer to Vegas that wants to go "All Out", but still can rotate the act to not become stale. I got to think that the "All out" type of visitor isn't the same guy thats in town 3-5 times/year....

The Vegas Cirque shows all have extremely high production costs. They wouldn't see a return on investment for at least 5 years, since the theaters are all custom built to the show. Hence why Broadway shows and residencies are easier...they're just touring acts easy to move in and out.

Ah, ok...

I didn't realize that there was a custom made venue commitment for some these shows. I was just thinking the musical acts would only be slightly more elaborate than a high end touring act.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:51 pm

most of them have custom theaters built.

for shows like "Ka" & "O" it's an absolute necessity.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:15 am

Jew wrote:

This is a HUGE reason that "Absinthe" has been so mega-successful in their tent. Production costs are low while still being extremely impressive, and they can rotate out acts per show if they want. In fact, they already do, almost! Not changing acts between the two nightly shows, but they rotate acts daily. If you go to Absinthe on a Saturday night and again on Tuesday night there's going to be about 50% new acts you didn't see. I live here and I've seen the show 10+ times and each time is as good as the last!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!