TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Owen, Claire and Dr. Wu will shed light on their interactions with the dinosaurs along with facts and information about the imposing prehistoric creatures that first roamed the earth more than 65 million years ago.

This part kind of makes me hope it's queue tv videos and that it won't be as screen filled as we expect but let's be honest Universal doesn't have the best track record here on their over-use of screens.

From screamscape

Speaking of the Mosasaurus, more details about this particular encounter were mentioned, as guests enter the new Aquarium Observatory section of the ride and encounter the creature that will appear to be over 60 feet in length, with a weight of 30k pounds… yet this massive creature will move within inches of the guests as they pass through a virtual 3.5 million gallon glass-walled Mosasaurus enclosure.

Another interesting factoid about this particular new effects scene is that it will change throughout the day depending on the real-world environment outside. “The team also employed a series of lighting enhancements allowing the aquarium to intuitively shift from day to night, as well as visual changes to the environment during inclement weather, thus creating a variety of visual scenarios guests can experience based on when they experience the ride.”

http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_hollywood.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owen, Claire and Dr. Wu will shed light on their interactions with the dinosaurs along with facts and information about the imposing prehistoric creatures that first roamed the earth more than 65 million years ago.

This part kind of makes me hope it's queue tv videos and that it won't be as screen filled as we expect but let's be honest Universal doesn't have the best track record here on their over-use of screens.

I'm assuming also that they'll really only be in the queue video, but with the 'aquarium' section and all of these other announcements I'm just hoping we don't have another immersion tunnel ride.

I have hope for this. From above, you can see that only the old beginning scene and stegosaurus lagoon are now enclosed. The rest of the outdoor section remains outdoors.

The rest of the outdoor section remains outdoors.

I'm really, REALLY hoping they updated most of the outdoor section, and I don't mean fresh paint. The entire lagoon scene could stay similar but once you get knocked off course should be pretty fresh. If they keep it as it was and only added the Indominus Rex for the finale I'm going to be deeply disappointed.

Then again, this is Universal we're talking about. It's probably fresh paint and a few new water squirts. Yayyyyyyyy.

• 3 weeks later...

Walls came down! Area looks great, makes the rest of the lower lot seem even more out of place.

1F1CA1F9-AB6C-443D-9164-151C583D9DA8.thumb.jpeg.a1ad8b88b62666c6016916603a130a38.jpeg

Welcome....to Jurassic world

24F03524-12FA-4FCA-A7DC-DA39E6BD6DEE.thumb.jpeg.c372eba9e4042adc673678eae762134e.jpeg

Huge sign and statement on the side of the building.

C2ADA81F-0DD9-4499-8BC3-E9558AC8F4D7.thumb.jpeg.f6d03c49cf9c96b07d53fdf6ef87c00f.jpeg

Get it! It’s a bar. On isla nubar

E82ED4C9-FC24-4FF5-896D-18A1EE7F6552.thumb.jpeg.310b41c36c2f18ea82f4f2e3e0197369.jpeg

Whole area got a new color scheme

How different would Jew’s post had been if, say, SFMM had made this error? [emoji1]

I need to do some more reading about this ride - after seeing how the building now looks I realized I have no idea what they’ve done to the old version!

How different would Jew’s post had been if, say, SFMM had made this error? [emoji1]

I need to do some more reading about this ride - after seeing how the building now looks I realized I have no idea what they’ve done to the old version!

Well considering the bar isn't open yet, this is not a big deal at the moment.

The area has opened!...sans the ride and Dino play. Still no word on those yet.

2B6C418C-DDCA-48AD-B94E-305B003371D1.thumb.jpeg.8cae228d34288c79b1dbdad993fa63de.jpeg

Store has a refreshed interior that is much more open

3CBCDE94-F5D8-4886-9C65-8F6BF4801A8A.thumb.jpeg.764dd16adb47261a04ecaf750d4f54bd.jpeg

More store

761BFFCF-B2AC-491C-8B11-AF3EE679918C.thumb.jpeg.5968c5b4e94d4d64f492e9e635ff9f4d.jpeg

Bar is open! All drinks come with some sort of tiki mug

B7E1CFC9-3DEC-499E-8A88-2CF48F797A36.thumb.jpeg.45a26e5b196aec86c74522c5e0bea607.jpeg

Food

C78B39C3-2695-4DB8-9D61-E5BC3FD10BD7.thumb.jpeg.71615fda771f3e97927cca952ed3b7c0.jpeg

Raptor encounter looks great with it now having a purpose built area

CE81DB4D-4193-4B8A-BC04-590AFAB60DD4.thumb.jpeg.54be6036497b765c4041a9996a6e37c8.jpeg

More food

FB1C1278-FB65-4C6E-B5AD-173A22C269B5.thumb.jpeg.b735f6a7fd6d2b3e9082edff9a46bdd9.jpeg

And even more food.

I'm probably wrong since I've not visited the park in a few years, but isn't the Raptor Encounter a wee bit close to the splash zone?

That area was previously a planter with a static dinosaur photo op. People standing in the wrong area watching the raptor might be in for a surprise though, as the splashdown was in front of the newly created space.

• 2 weeks later...

Universal Studios Hollywood has released new details about the scare zones that will be featured at Halloween Horror Nights 2019!

https://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/park-tips/hhn-2019-your-first-look-at-this-years-scare-zones/

“Halloween Horror Nights” brings together the sickest minds in horror to immerse you in a three-dimensional world of terror by turning mazes into living horror movies. But the torment doesn’t stop there…as you venture from maze to maze, we fill in the darkness with twisted beasts, demented creatures and chainsaw-wielding maniacs…just for good measure! You’ll want to walk fast and keep looking straight ahead…but never lose sight of what might happen when you turn your back.

Here’s a first look at what to expect in the Scare Zones at this year’s “Halloween Horror Nights”…

Fallen Angelz

Metro-BronzeStatue.thumb.jpg.52f62b5ece04d2dedeaa36d657bb4cd7.jpg

Explore crypts packed with restless ghouls and escape angry skeletons that have taken over Main Street. If you think the aged statues are creepy, wait until you encounter the wraith who will be literally watching over you. You can also spread your own demonic wings while you’re here, but be sure not to antagonize the Angel of Death.

Spirits & Demons of the East

NY-Dragon-demon.thumb.jpg.20074852c519783408094319087f9ae6.jpg

Sacred antiquities have just been shipped over from the Far East, and they didn’t come alone. Many of these artifacts were stolen from ancient temples and carry angry spirits with them. Now the spirits roam New York Street, looking to exact vengeance on anyone who would dare steal such sacred relics. Be careful out there, these powerful demons can look like anything – even innocent school children.

Christmas in Hell

Christmas-Santa-Claus.thumb.jpg.d04032d4be883279fc7d82b678ee631b.jpg

You’ll likely feel a faint sense of relief as you exit the Holidayz in Hell maze, but it won’t last long. Navigate through the Christmas trees littering French Street and make your way through our twisted takes on many holiday traditions. A giant nutcracker may be looking for a skull or two to clamp down on. The Winter Witch and Jack Frost himself will be celebrating as well, and they may not take too kindly to you interrupting their festivities. And just when you think it’s over, beware of the New Year’s Baby. He’s… cranky.

ToXXXic Tunnel

ToXXXic-Tunnel-Franky.thumb.jpg.063ce45579eff7b3aadae074f123e532.jpg

Yes, if you wish to experience the mazes on our Metro Lots, you’ll have to get through the tunnel once again. This time, the warped and cartoonish members of a demonic custom car club have taken over, and they don’t plan on letting you get very far on foot.

All Hallow’s Evil

HHN_LeggedWendigo_2019-1.thumb.jpg.e8e214349e6de747838d34f6210812ad.jpg

Halloween isn’t the only holiday that happens this time of year. The Celtic festival of Hop-tu-Naa is celebrated on October 31st as well. There’s also All Saints’ Day, followed by All Souls’ Day, and of course Mexico’s Dia de Muertos; all of which share this season with the centuries old Gaelic festival of Samhain. Samhain celebrates our transition into the “darker” months at the end of the harvest season. The souls of the dead are thought to return home on this night, and are welcomed with costumes and bonfires. Some say the costumes were actually intended to protect oneself from these otherworldly beings. Here’s hoping they’re relatively peaceful during your visit…

So there’s your sneak peek at what you can expect from this year’s “Halloween Horror Nights” Scare Zones. We covered pretty much everything, but there may still be a couple surprises in store for you. If we told you what to expect at every turn, it would be much harder to sneak up on you, you know? We can’t wait to see you and yours at HHN…and don’t forget to watch your back!

Another note on HHN: They have made official that the park will now feature 10 mazes!

Four have been announced: Walking Dead (year round haunt), Universal Monsters: Frankenstein meets the Wolfman, Stranger Things, and Holidayz in Hell.