Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1468 - Halloween Horror Nights 29 Media Event TR!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Preview!

Postby boldikus » Mon May 20, 2019 7:50 am

coasterbill wrote:
robbalvey wrote:the first coaster in the U.S. to feature a free-fall vertical drop

Auf wiedersehen with your bullsh*t :lol:

:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

I have no interest in Potter but I love Intamin and I'm super hype for this ride. 7 launches? WUT. But yeah, the world needs more Intamin launchers.

Thanks for all this awesome coverage, as always! Related, they've been playing ads on local Philly TV like crazy for this ride. It's weird to see long, elaborate TV commercials for a specific roller coaster, as the majority of ads for GreatAdv, Dorney, Hershey, etc that I see are just general park ads that usually will quickly mention the name whatever new attraction is opening/has opened.

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:04 am

Thank you for such an awesome new look at this coaster!

It definitely looks like they leveraged the old queue's existing infrastructure, which while smart fiscally, I'm curious to see just how much of the inside was touched, given how heavily built out the old Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge tunnels were... I'm hoping that they did a little to the interior than they did when Dueling Dragons became Dragon Challenge.

I'm really loving how these Intamin launched coasters are springing up all of a sudden... While I wouldn't have sacrificed the Dragons for this, it at least seems like they've put in a lot of effort for the coaster to use the plot of land for more than just a brief experience. A coaster with story was more of what I was expecting with Gringotts, where with that we got more of a dark ride with a coaster segment, so I'm curious to see how their take on the inverse turns out.

That being said... I don't know how anyone from Universal could pass the red face test over the claim that this is the first vertical free fall drop segment on a coaster in the US... As others have mentioned, Verbolten was the first to claim that title years ago.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 am

I decided to do some digging to see if Universal could get off on a technicality. I know enthusiasts have argued if things are a true freefall or a controlled drop in the past. Maybe Universal was claiming Verbolten's wasn't a true freefall?

But per the Zierer website, their drop track does include a portion of the drop that is a true freefall.

Zierer Drop Track
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby coasterbill » Mon May 20, 2019 9:15 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:I decided to do some digging to see if Universal could get off on a technicality. I know enthusiasts have argued if things are a true freefall or a controlled drop in the past. Maybe Universal was claiming Verbolten's wasn't a true freefall?

Verbolten doesn't count because it's in Germany, silly.

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 am

This Dueling Dragons fanboy is quite impressed with what they have done with this coaster. The theming, in the actual coaster area, looks really amazing. I will probably head down in June and check it out.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 20, 2019 9:34 am

coasterbill wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:I decided to do some digging to see if Universal could get off on a technicality. I know enthusiasts have argued if things are a true freefall or a controlled drop in the past. Maybe Universal was claiming Verbolten's wasn't a true freefall?

:nina:

I like this reason better why Universal is claiming it's America's first. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon May 20, 2019 10:03 am

Exciting! Great interview. I'm loving the scenery and story elements.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon May 20, 2019 10:43 am

coasterbill wrote:

Maybe they just googled the ride, saw where it was located, and legit thought that?!?!
Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 1.42.03 PM.png

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:47 am

Besides the weird claim that it's the first freefall track or whatever, I'm kind of surprised that they openly discussed and published details of the free fall and the backward track spike in the press release. Seem kind of strange to give away the surprise elements of the attraction before it's even opened, but maybe it's not that big of a deal.

I also didn't realize until these new pictures of the train that the motorbike seat isn't really a motor bike coaster seat like most were expecting, it just looks like a regular seat maybe slightly more elevated than that side car. The trains looks fantastic but I'm not sure the two sides will feel all that different now.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 pm

So one of my blogger friends actually asked Universal about Verbolten and this is the response they received:

"Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsbrug features a drop, but this is achieved through a high speed elevator system — not a true free-fall. So, our statement is still correct."

According to Zierer's statement on their Vertical Drop element:
"In this specially designed coaster component, rapid velocity and freefalling, two ride sensations of the extreme, will come to a unique peak. With the Vertical Drop Element, the train plunges 5 meters downward of which 2 meters occur in total freefall."
http://www.zierer.com/en/products/coasters/vertical-drop-element.html
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!