TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

No plans for getting Fastlane.

I would like to hit most of the coasters and the unique flats. However, I'm not going wait forever for a garbage ride if that's what it comes down to.

Get on Yukon Striker first. Stand in the single rider line and you might even be able to get on 2 or 3 times while other people are still lined up for Thunder Run and Guardian.

Guardian is one of those 'garbage rides' that take forever to get on for a very lame ride.

Guardian is one that we are interested in doing. I was assuming that rope-dropping it would be a priority?

We all had this discussion when they first put this ride in the mountain and I am not starting again with you, Bill. If you have ever been on Spider-man or Harry Potter at Universal Orlando, then you will be disappointed in waiting in line for Guardian. For me, I do go on it a couple of times a year now but I will wait a maximum of 15 minutes only because I don't live near Universal. If I didn't have a season pass, then I would not want to waste my time with this ride. I will leave this choice up to you, defrocker. Please let us all know what you think of Wonder Mountain's Guardian.

If you have ever been on Spider-man or Harry Potter at Universal Orlando, then you will be disappointed in waiting in line for Guardian.

I'm not going to be disappointed during my visit in July, because I'm not going to have unrealistic expectations and compare this ride to Universal's similar rides.

I like the ride quite a bit, but over the years, even early in the year or early in the morning, I always feel at least one of the screens aren't working right with the glasses, or all the guns don't even function. Although I didn't ride it the other day, I swear it had a bunch of seats roped off when I glanced over at it from Vortex. The upkeep definitely needs work, but if fully functioning, a neat little ride.

The zombie makeover during haunt is awesome and a GREAT addition to the park, but obviously suffers from the same technical issues. A fun way to keep things fresh, though. Very unique.

Question for the locals: Anything happening on May 30/31 that would cause these days to be busy?

I'm looking at https://queue-times.com/parks/58/calendar. I have no idea how they come up with their estimates. And I'm fully prepared to buy FL+. I'm just curious.

School trips are popular around then, but it’s hit and miss from one day to the next.

If you have ever been on Spider-man or Harry Potter at Universal Orlando, then you will be disappointed in waiting in line for Guardian.

I'm not going to be disappointed during my visit in July, because I'm not going to have unrealistic expectations and compare this ride to Universal's similar rides.

Why would you go in with realistic expectations? That's weird.

I first visited CW 3 years ago and I thought Guardian was a lot of fun and a unique little attraction. A great change of pace from your normal coaster.

Is it as good as a $1 billion attraction like Spider-man at Universal? Idk honestly cause I haven't been on that lol, but probably not. Is it good for the budget they had? Yes. I think it's great. Plan on getting another couple rides on this in August when I make a return trip with my family.

As a first time visitor to CW in a couple of weeks, and as someone who absolutely loved Spider-Man the one time I visited IOA in like 2004, this comparison seems a bit strange. Then again, I don't know a ton about Guardian. I suspect that I'll enjoy it just fine.

Wonder mountain guardian is worth doing, especially if CW is not your home park and you don't get the chance to ride it often.

It's lineup is inside the mountain so you cannot tell how busy it is until you are in the lineup. You can also plan to go in mid day when it is hot and you want to get out of the sun for a while. not sure if you can take food in the line but you cannot take bags with you, so they have to either be in a fluffy bunny or stashed in the bushes.

I might be more inclined to spend my precious ropedrop time on some coasters.

Comparing WM Guardian to SpiderMan at Universal IOA is utter madness. I don't even think I'm exaggerating.

Guardian is fun, especially the end, but it is regularly plagued with technical issues that stop it from living up to it's potential. I get on it only when the park is quiet, but for someone making a long trip, it may be worth a longer wait if you're around for a day or two.

Speaking of Guardian, I actually like that ride and want to go on it once or twicr. Does that ride's line tend to die down near closing?

I'm eying a trip there a week from Saturday and plan to rope drop it for my first ride seeing that it isn't on Fast Lane.

Why the Wonder Mountain Guardian hate? We love that thing.

If it was at Disney, people would love it and rate it one of the best dark rides in the World. lol

Disney would never waste their money on something like Guardian and Disney would never build a ride that only dispatches 8 people at a time. How many times have you gone on Toy Story and have your gun not work after waiting in line for an hour?

Speaking of Guardian, I actually like that ride and want to go on it once or twicr. Does that ride's line tend to die down near closing?

I'm eying a trip there a week from Saturday and plan to rope drop it for my first ride seeing that it isn't on Fast Lane.

If you are getting Fastlane for your visit, then that is a good idea Canobie. Pretty sure you know your way round the park, Thunder Run and Vortex would be in close proximity to you once you've done Guardian, so three nice rides to start with...and Fastlane will take care of Leviathan, Yukon Striker and Behemoth.

Hope it works for you the weekend you go. I have never had any issues on it, and enjoy it also. Also hope you get some decent weather when you come up to visit.

I have to admit that I don't fully understand why it should be compared to rides at Disney/Universal as they are completely different types of parks with different business models that can afford the cost of the Avatar/Spider-Man/Harry Potter type stuff. Wonder Mountain's Guardian and Spider-Man don't even enter into the same comparison to me, Spider Man is more technologically advanced...and an excellent ride...but they are on two different budget planes and serve a different purpose and market.

I appreciate Cedar Fair for giving us something "different" for a park like Canada's Wonderland. It definitely opened up some new use for the mountain, and I believe, from way back in the thread,....isn't only about half of the mountain actually used for rides inside (Thunder Run and WMG)?? Could someone confirm this (John Lloyd...you are good with these questions?)

^ Doesn't Toy Story only dispatch 8 at a time too?

Yes. Yes it does. And in Tokyo DisneySea's version, too. Two 4-seaters (back to back), linked together.

If you are getting Fastlane for your visit, then that is a good idea Canobie. Pretty sure you know your way round the park, Thunder Run and Vortex would be in close proximity to you once you've done Guardian, so three nice rides to start with...and Fastlane will take care of Leviathan, Yukon Striker and Behemoth.

Hope it works for you the weekend you go. I have never had any issues on it, and enjoy it also. Also hope you get some decent weather when you come up to visit.

I have to admit that I don't fully understand why it should be compared to rides at Disney/Universal as they are completely different types of parks with different business models that can afford the cost of the Avatar/Spider-Man/Harry Potter type stuff. Wonder Mountain's Guardian and Spider-Man don't even enter into the same comparison to me, Spider Man is more technologically advanced...and an excellent ride...but they are on two different budget planes and serve a different purpose and market.

I appreciate Cedar Fair for giving us something "different" for a park like Canada's Wonderland. It definitely opened up some new use for the mountain, and I believe, from way back in the thread,....isn't only about half of the mountain actually used for rides inside (Thunder Run and WMG)?? Could someone confirm this (John Lloyd...you are good with these questions?)

Yes, there is still quite a bit of room inside Wonder Mountain. As for Canobie Coaster coming up for a visit to Canada's Wonderland soon, I would recommend getting Fastlane Plus which includes Behemoth, Leviathan, and Yukon Striker. The normal Fastlane pass does not include these coasters. Just thought I would mention that. I hope you enjoy your visit to Canada's Wonderland, Canobie Coaster!

Thanks! I was definitely leaning towards FastLane on a holiday weekend and just wanted to figure out a way to get on the non-Fast Lane rides I like. I've been on Thunder Run in the past and it's not a priority for me on this visit.

^ Doesn't Toy Story only dispatch 8 at a time too?

Yes. Yes it does. And in Tokyo DisneySea's version, too. Two 4-seaters (back to back), linked together.

I think there is a pretty big difference in the amount of trains they dispatch per hour though...

Any idea how busy the park will be on Memorial Day (5/27) considering Ontario schools are still in session and its not a Canadian holiday? Have dinner reservations at 5pm and was hoping to be able to hit most of the major rides between 10am-3pm.

Any idea how busy the park will be on Memorial Day (5/27) considering Ontario schools are still in session and its not a Canadian holiday? Have dinner reservations at 5pm and was hoping to be able to hit most of the major rides between 10am-3pm.

Should be a good day to go! It’s a business as usual work day. Last weekend was our holiday and it was packed as Wonderland put on a good fireworks show.

Question for the regulars: Does this park generally close for bad weather? We're thinking of going Saturday (I know the fact that it's a Saturday works in our favor) and we're watching the forecast but I figured I'd check in and see if this was the type of park that would close "for weather" if attendance was low on a crappy day.

Also, how are they about running the rides if it's raining but not storming?

Question for the regulars: Does this park generally close for bad weather? We're thinking of going Saturday (I know the fact that it's a Saturday works in our favor) and we're watching the forecast but I figured I'd check in and see if this was the type of park that would close "for weather" if attendance was low on a crappy day.

Canada's Wonderland operates quite well in rainy weather and does not close early unless if a downpour is predicted for the whole day (which is extremely unlikely). You should be able to get on most rides on a rainy day, unless if the rain is coming down very hard. Otherwise, you should be okay. In my opinion, rainy days are the best days to visit Canada's Wonderland!

^ Thanks! I guess I'll have to see exactly how much rain is expected on Saturday. I suspect the forecast means they know a thunderstorm will hit but not sure when right now.

I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking of going to Canada's Wonderland on Sunday now and doing Waldameer on Saturday. I've visited Waldameer on a day when it was torrentially downpouring on a weekday and I was one of like 10 people in the park, but they stayed open almost all day.

Second what JohnLloyd said, rain doesn't usually halt operations. The only thing that will is if there is a thunderstorm with a lot of lightning, but of course that is the same anywhere!

I will say that they get a bit "antsy" in very high winds (they did a LOT of testing for Yukon Striker on season preview night) but again that is not something that would be considered unusual, and although it was a gusty evening that night...the three "big" ones (Behemoth, Leviathan and Yukon) were all running fine.

Forecast is mixed for Saturday....but to be fair to the weather guys...it is really tough predicting weather around the great lake region......hopefully you will get lucky and the current outlook will peter out. Temperature looks OK.

Hope you have a good visit.

If you are looking for Craft beer in the city Coasterbill, "Liberty Village" is a popular area FILLED with craft pubs and microbrewers, just west of the downtown. I think there was a poster a couple of pages back that had beer suggestions also (possibly worked for a micro brewer!?) I have not yet tried the new brews at the park yet this year....will be interested to hear your opinion.

This has nothing to do with Wonderland, but I thought I'd throw it out to Coasterbill. If you have time and are in the area for a bit (and of course the weather is okay), Centreville Amusement Park on the Toronto Islands features a chairlift-style Sky Ride that allegedly lasts 16 minutes and offers views of the park and the Toronto skyline. The park also has an indoor Scrambler, a small-ish flume, and a classic dark ride. http://www.centreisland.ca/centreville/rides-attraction.html

I too am hoping the weather holds up for Saturday as I planned on going to Centreville that morning. If not, I think I'll go check out the Haunted Houses on Clifton Hill in Niagara...