TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I think he was making a point about all of the hype this coaster generated despite it's small size. It was easy to understand. But, he clearly doesn't understand how our amusement park industry works.

Nah, I totally meant Kentucky families are packing their passports to hit up a park 9 hours north in another country.

Joking aside, yes, I meant the hype around the rides. Particularly online (cuz that's honestly one of the only ways I can base things like that). If this debuted the same year as, say, some potentially massive project a few hours away, it potentially wouldn't get as much attention.

Nah, I totally meant Kentucky families are packing their passports to hit up a park 9 hours north in another country.

Joking aside, yes, I meant the hype around the rides. Particularly online (cuz that's honestly one of the only ways I can base things like that). If this debuted the same year as, say, some potentially massive project a few hours away, it potentially wouldn't get as much attention.

I completely misread the post. I must have missed my morning coffee that morning. My bad.That's on me.

Judging a rides hype from online forums that specifically focus on amusement parks is probably not the best way to judge a rides hype. You're focusing on a bunch of nerds and fanboys who follow the industry with a constant eye and will hype any new ride. Just always remember we are not the majority of guests for parks or for this industry but a very small but focused and passionate percentage.

The vast majority of guests at any regional amusement park probably have never been to another park outside of vacations to Orlando and don't follow the industry. If you went to a shopping mall in the Louisville area and randomly polled 1,000 people you may be surprised how few know anything about Kentucky Flyer let alone Yukon Striker. Yet if you came on here and polled 1,000 people you'd get obnoxiously different results.

I've been pretty absent on forums lately, to be quite honest, so most of it is attention or hype brought on by bouncing around social media. (Though I'll admit I'm still not away from fanboys/enthusiasts/regulars/etc there.)

And I don't take all this too seriously. They're just things I've seen, nothing more nothing less.

Hi - I'm looking to visit Kentucky Kingdom for the first time and I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea about what the crowds are like during Kentucky Fair Saturdays - what kind of wait times would I expect on the better coasters? Do you think Labor Day weekend would be less busy?

Trying to figure out how to schedule my trip to hit some of the parks around these parts later this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi - I'm looking to visit Kentucky Kingdom for the first time and I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea about what the crowds are like during Kentucky Fair Saturdays - what kind of wait times would I expect on the better coasters? Do you think Labor Day weekend would be less busy?

Trying to figure out how to schedule my trip to hit some of the parks around these parts later this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Labor Day was pretty busy last season, fair is kind of a hit or miss. During the fair, you'll have to pay $10 to park, parking is a huge hassle, and the park typically offers some special admission deal to reel in crowds. Even when it is busy, the waits are typically no more than 30 minutes per coaster.

Might as well go this weekend, since you won't have anymore hockey to watch this season after tonight.

Let's Go Blues!

The State Fair is really fun, their craft beer & whisky tent last year was awesome. Looked like it was a hit too, so I'd imagine they'd bring it back. The Fair has some pretty good rides that Kentucky Kingdom doesn't have, like 1001 Nachts. Also some mildly racist children's coasters that you can skip.

I went 2 years ago on a KY state fair Saturday and KK was completely dead. Every coaster and flat ride was a walk on. I also went to Holiday World the next day and that place was just as dead. So if you haven't been there I would highly suggest it as it's not too far from Louisville.

Thanks for the info, I think it sounds like we should try to go on a Saturday during KY fair instead of Labor Day. Might be interesting to check out the Fair too.

Yes, we are planning to go to Holiday World (I've been there before but my wife hasn't, but I haven't ridden Thunderbird). We're really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the info, I think it sounds like we should try to go on a Saturday during KY fair instead of Labor Day. Might be interesting to check out the Fair too.

Yes, we are planning to go to Holiday World (I've been there before but my wife hasn't, but I haven't ridden Thunderbird). We're really looking forward to it!

Sidenote, I am a Sharks fan as well... ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, do they ever run two trains on Lightning Run? Pretty much everything was a walk-on this past weekend except Lightning Run, which was only using one train. The same thing happened for my visit last year on Labor Day weekend.

Yep, they have and usually still do. I don't know how they constitute when to bring on a second train tho, because they plan that out before the day starts and rarely ever add a second train during the day (likely due to how long it takes to do so).

Trip planning question, how much time is necessary for a visit to Kentucky Kingdom? I’m planning a Holiday World-Kentucky Kingdom-Kings Island Trip for next month and wondering if Kentucky Kingdom is a park I should plan to spend a full day at or if I can ride all the coasters & best flats in a few hours and then head to Kings Island.

Are you planning on doing the water park? If you cut that out, I think Kentukcy Kingdom can comfortably be done in a half day although I could have easily spent more.

Get there at opening and ride Lightning Run a few times. This past Sunday, that was the longest line by far at a half hour. Storm Chaser, Thunder Run, and Kentucky Flyer never had more than a 5-10 minute wait. I rode T3 early, but I could see that one getting a bit of a queue with the single short train.

Kentucky Flyer won't que too much, the ride itself is only like 30-50 secs out and back so it's a pretty quick return to the station and they have 2 trains so there may be a short line but it doesn't take long to get on the trains.

I love Kentucky Kingdom and really the slow ops is the only real thing that kills it. I went to the water park and they had one lifeguard at the top of a complex managing 3 slides. I felt so sorry for the woman. The River Rapids ride only had 2 ops working on it, the Tin Lizzies had one college age girl working it and she was running from the entrance to the exit and then pulling the cars up.