TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

^ Looks great!

Future trip planning advice needed.... from Toronto airport are there any shuttles that go to the park area or close by hotels? I really don't want to rent a car.

As njcoasterguy34 said, you could probably use Uber or a taxi. Canada's Wonderland is only 20-30 minutes from the park, so it should be around $20-30 each way.

Senile moment earlier...posting two responses in the Canadian trip thread when I meant to post one of them in this one.....ooops!! Oh well......my blonde moment for the day!!

In regards to getting to CW from the airport.

UBER/LYFT is definitely the better option now in Toronto (it is now allowed to pick up from the airport...they have their own designated pickup point). It is more reliable than a taxi (for me anyway) and of course the fare will be shown in advance. Getting to CW by public transport from the airport would be a waste of your time......it is sooooo convoluted!! Great city this might be...but Toronto really has not moved on from the 70s in terms of public transit infrastructure.....it is a bit frustrating really!..

Rode it twice today. First in the back and it was good (the hang over the edge was underwhelming), second time in the front and it was GREAT! Best of the dives IMO, it's just one element after another and the loop is great. Definitely worth the wait for the front, and the vests didn't bother me or seem to really affect the drop sensation at all.

I don't think anybody mentioned this, but there are 4 different entrances. Single Rider, Accessible (those with return times go straight to the station rather than up the exit so they "merge"with everyone else rather than taking up someone's row), FastLane, and standby. FastLane merges at the bottom of the steps where you choose between front row, or rows 2&3 giving about a 5-10 min wait for the front, or 3-5 minutes for rows 2&3. I'd imagine single Rider going really slow on this one. The setup was great and the bin system seemed to work better than I imagined it would have worked. They really thought this one through! The bins even have an estop button... maybe for when the high winds hit and everything goes flying lol.

Each row had two modified seatings (I think... the ones with the red seatbelts?)... is it the same way on Valravn? I never noticed before. They aren't labeled at all and no signs about them... so I'm just assuming that's what they were (unless they are just rows for the amputee harnesses? -- I wasn't paying attention)

b2a16ad52bf5bfbf922afa17ca554e87.jpg

497977639796efbbfb255e471e897751.jpg

Ever since the one flipfest I had on Skyhawk I just can't seem to get the hang of it anymore. We saw it get stuck for a good 10 minutes in the air while we were eating.

Boooo to the beef burger at Muskoga coming off the dining plan, that was my go-to for every meal last year, lol

Tried the exclusive peach Yukon Striker cider, it was pretty good! It didn't have a strong fake peach taste, it was quite refreshing!

Care to elaborate....

How was not having a small drop after the first immelmen?

Did the vest restraints affect your ride?

How do you compare it to other dives (if you rode any)

What was the best/worst moment?

Enjoy the theming ?

sorry, was having fun with the minimalist review. (and can't type well on a phone...)

I got there part way into passholder ERT to find what seemed like a barely full queue house. then i noticed a back section that was completely full which accounted for a 40 minute wait. No complaints on a brand new coaster on it's second day open to the public.

The station is well done with way more themeing than we typically see at a cedar fair/ wonderland ride. They had lots of stuff related to the "Striker mining company" to look at. Non Canadians may not get all of the significance, but the themeing originally planned in the 1980s was done by/with Pierre Berton, one of Canadas prominent historians/ authors. (Studs Terkel or maybe Ken Burns today is a comparable US author.) Berton was born in the Yukon and wrote about canada's north and the national railway, and helped Canadians understand and celebrate their history. He lived for 50 years in nearby Kleinburg. It is really nice to see the commitment to reviving this work they have put into the ride. It really looks like this meant a lot to wonderland and they really tried to honour it. The station has good flow and as you exit the que you get separated into separate stairs for front row, rest of train and single rider.

From the top of the stairs, I was quickly ushered into row 3. I don't tend to bring crap along with me when i ride, so i did not get to try the fancy fluffy bunny conveyor. It is kind of weird, but you put your stuff into these cubbies and they go up over the train to the other side where the unload platform is. The empty containers follow the same course so there is lots of activity in the station.

We waited as the previous train had a more generously proportioned rider who they were strapping in with some kind of auxillary restraints clamped to the hooks on the back of his seat. I spotted red seatbelts and chose to sit where there was one to avoid extra grief. It fit with tons of room. There was a lady next to me who needed the ops to work hard to close her restraint. The vests were fine/ comfortable enough that i did not notice anything about them. I have been on Skyrush, Banshee, Valravyn and never noticed any problem either. I think that people who complain about them profusely could maybe consider a different hobby... It took them a while to get everybody in and loaded. It feels like they are taking extra care with the new ride which will sort itself out as they get experience.

The floor came down, the gates opened and we were on our way. There was a little kink at the bottom of the dip before we made our way up the lift hill. The hill went fast and at the top gave a great view of the park. This coaster is set in the middle of the back of the park. it is great how it fits in with the mountain, the lake and the other rides nearby.

I must admit I don't love heights, and have avoided drop coasters until i could get the nerve up to ride them. This did not seem as bad for me as there was stuff to look at. We got lowered over the top, but not as far as i would have thought (which is fine with me). when we let go, the back row was treated to a brief airtime pop which i liked.

The drop through the tunnel was awesome. you could feel the wind resistance through the tunnel, as it does not seem any larger than it needs to be. It was really cool heading down towards the lake below. The pullout and immelmann was awesome. Truth be told, i am more of a loops and helixes guy anyway. I have never been on an immelmann as large as this and it was awesome to fly effortlessly in a giant arc and see the park unfold beneath us. It does not pull hard G's and is a nice smooth flowing inversion. After a dip across lake vortexx we come to a dive loop that leads us into a loop, and then a turnaround through a bit of a trench and into the MCBR. It all happens so quickly and smoothly it is difficult to keep up with what is happening. We flew into the MCBR with a bit of a pop and slowed a bit before cresting the drop with an airtime pop and drop before pulling out into the final helix. It feels like the loop and helix are a shoutout to skyrider, and are really nice. Before you know it you are flying into the final brake course to think about what just happened.

I think this is a really nice reridable coaster. It is not as intense as some but really soars through the course for an enjoyable ride. The complete package with station themeing, massive drop, First Loop on a dive coaster and location over top of the new plaza at the back of the park make it a geally great ride.

Get a Pierre Berton book to read on the airplane and come on up and ride this thing!

I'd imagine single Rider going really slow on this one.

Today in the afternoon, they were letting large groups from the single rider lane through... Our train, they filled the entire 2nd row with the next 8 people from the single rider line...

So I see that there’s a toll road in Toronto where you can’t pay with cash. I did a little research but it’s still pretty confusing. What do I have to do in order to use that road or is there a way around it? I’m coming from Detroit.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I see that there’s a toll road in Toronto where you can’t pay with cash. I did a little research but it’s still pretty confusing. What do I have to do in order to use that road or is there a way around it? I’m coming from Detroit.

Thanks.

cross detroit to windsor

get on hwy 401

ignore signs for hwy 407 toll road.

pass pearson airport on left

get on Hwy 400 N (works from either express or collector lanes)

exit rutherford rd.

leads to wonderland driveway.

avoid rush hour (ha)

Get a Pierre Berton book to read on the airplane and come on up and ride this thing!

Thanks for the review (not quoting the whole thing since it was so long haha)! It sounds like they did a really good job with Yukon Striker.

I'm looking forward to trying it (hopefully) Memorial Day weekend.

Ok so 401 to 400 north. Looks easy enough. Thanks!

Good timing would be to get to the 401/ airport area after 9:30am. By then the early morning rush hour would be less. (it is a busy highway and has traffic no matter when). This would get you to wonderland around the 10:00AM opening time. google maps says it takes 3:24 to get from ambassador bridge to YYZ so It might mean leaving at a stupid early time of day. I might be inclined to buy a fastpass for an extra 2 hours of sleep...

Otherwise use your favourite map app and ask for no tolls and see what it says. HWY 407, sometimes called ETR Electronic Toll Road is the one to avoid.

Thanks.

The way the 407 works is that you get billed by mail afterwards. There's an agreement in place to pull your plate number and get your home address that way with states. It's not cheap (driving from the start to CW is probably like $15/20 CAD) but there's also almost never traffic. It's actually a super Singaporean way to do things.

Any recommendations on getting from the Toronto Pearson Airport to CW? I have an 8 hours layover and was probably going to Uber/Lyft but it seems like renting a car a week before is super cheap. Any other ways such as trains or buses? I'm not to familiar with the area so any help would be appreciated.

Any recommendations on getting from the Toronto Pearson Airport to CW? I have an 8 hours layover and was probably going to Uber/Lyft but it seems like renting a car a week before is super cheap. Any other ways such as trains or buses? I'm not to familiar with the area so any help would be appreciated

Uber/Lyft would be quicker than car hire as you don't have to worry about filling out forms and the like, and on return you can get dropped off at the terminal rather than going to the car rental garage.

Uber is now allowed to pick up at YYZ, so it is quick and convenient.

Trains/Buses......just too long winded. Toronto is not public transit friendly!!

It has been a while since I have posted, but this has been bothering me. After giving the rides in Med Faire, their original names back, why did they not do it to Spinovator? Spinovator's original name was Quixote's Kettles, a much more fitting name in a "new" Medieval Faire. Spinovator will stick out like a sore thumb to me. I won't be able to look at that name. It no longer fits in Med Faire. What do you all think?

I also want to ask everyone if you think they will have a Pin Trading Program this year. Most other Cedar Fair parks have pins to buy. Canada's Wonderland has not sold pins for years.

I did notice more pins for sale this year, and an increase in merch variety in general. Coffee mugs/shot glasses/keychains/magnets/pins all have more selection than they did last year... It's not as good as the selection at some of the other park sin the chain, but it's still an improvement, as in some of those categories the merch has been non existent in the last few years... Also, t-shirt selection got better last year, and is only getting better... Couple years ago, shirts came with 1 of 3 subjects, Canadas Wonderland, Behemoth, Leviathan. Now I've seen shirts for Skyhawk, Lumberjack, Soaring Timbers, Flight Deck, Minebuster, Dragon Fyre, the Bat and Timberwolf Falls...

It never understood that when per capita spending is mentioned on every quarterly conference call, why the selection has been so poor... Nice to see a change...

Ok so 401 to 400 north. Looks easy enough. Thanks!

Good timing would be to get to the 401/ airport area after 9:30am. By then the early morning rush hour would be less. (it is a busy highway and has traffic no matter when). This would get you to wonderland around the 10:00AM opening time. google maps says it takes 3:24 to get from ambassador bridge to YYZ so It might mean leaving at a stupid early time of day. I might be inclined to buy a fastpass for an extra 2 hours of sleep...

Otherwise use your favourite map app and ask for no tolls and see what it says. HWY 407, sometimes called ETR Electronic Toll Road is the one to avoid.

I think what I’m going to do is go on a Saturday around noon. Spend the night and get fast lane for Sunday and stay until I’m satisfied.