Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 1066: Finnegan's Flyer POV video
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Married a Canadian » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:33 pm

don't miss the Rhine River cruise while there.. it's a nice 20 minute getaway (entrance is on the lake (on walkway between LNM (from front of park) & Carousel from German side).. . and offers some great views of Verbolten & Apollo from the boat.

Thanks for that tip Bert. Your advice for Kennywood last year was spot on, so we will definitely do this.
Give me a heads up if you are coming up to Wonderland anytime soon.
Top 10 1 X2 2 Tatsu 3 Apollo's Chariot 4 Skyrush 5 Maverick 6 Iron Rattler 7 Leviathan (front row) 8 Phantom's Revenge 9 Millennium Force 10 Manta 11 Saw The ride 12 Mako

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby bachir » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:15 am

cfc wrote:
bachir wrote:Planning for 3 days in Williamsburg in July. Original itinerary had us spending 2 of the 3 days at Busch Gardens. That said, is Water Country a worthwhile visit? And if so, is it a full day's worth of activity? Any other water parks that it is comparable to?

We did the Holiday World water park last summer, I was very impressed.

They are opening their first water coaster this year: Cutback. Water Country is a very good water park (especially Aquazoid, Big Daddy Falls, and Hubba-Hubba Highway, a fast lazy river).

Thanks. I did see the news on the water coaster. I appreciate the feedback. Its easy to just check reviews on Yelp or Trip Advisor but I love to get the opinions from this forum. Haven't been to Busch Gardens in 20+ years so we are excited to get back and check it out.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat May 04, 2019 6:52 am

Flyin' High Over Ireland (and a Bit of Scotland): Finnegan's Flyer Media Day

Finnegan's Flyer is now roaring high over Ireland and a wee bit of Scotland at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. The park officially opened its new S&S Screamin' Swing to the public on Friday, May 3 (they held a "soft opening" the previous Sunday, too).

It's hard to miss this huge new attraction as you walk across the bridge between Ireland and Scotland, or even as you emerge from the path between France and Ireland. Finnegan's Flyer is huge--and a lot of fun. As many of you know, I'm not a "flat-ride" person, but I do enjoy Screamin' Swings, and I like what BGW has done with their version, from the placement to the color scheme. That little pop of airtime at the top of the arc doesn't hurt, either. Here are the essential facts:

Swinging height--81 feet
Capacity--32 riders
Maximum speed--45 mph

One thing to note about the "swinging height": The ride sits on a 30-foot platform, which adds to the whole experience as you're propelled by whooshes of compressed air. It even swings out over the queue house; sit on the green side facing the Loch Ness Monster, and you can look straight down at guests who are waiting to ride. They provide plastic bins for your loose items, too (and glasses require a strap).

The park shot videos of all those who participated in the media event on May 3: POV, 360-degree, and "foot cam." (Yes, a camera was attached to a rider's foot.) I still have to upload the video footage to Robb, but here are some photos of FInnegan's Flyer in action.
001.jpg
Sign photos for the park index make Larry happy.
002.jpg
Finnegan's Flyer from the far side of Ireland. As I said earlier, it's hard to miss.
003.jpg
Here's how it looks from the Scotland side of the park.
004.jpg
I'm sure you'll be OK, guys . . .
005.jpg
. . . well, reasonably sure.
006.jpg
A wee bit of "hair time" on the green swing.
007.jpg
High kicks with the foot cam.
007a.jpg
This gives you a better look at the camera rigs.
008.jpg
Yep--I think this'll be a hit for the park.
009.jpg
Hi Griffon--how you doin' today?
010.jpg
Remember that Grogan's is the place for Cinco de Mayo! Arriba and begorrah! Thanks for reading.
Last edited by cfc on Sat May 04, 2019 10:35 am.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby caleb.stone » Sat May 04, 2019 7:04 am

At the risk of sounding dumb; how does she keep her leg straight under the forces at the bottom of the swing for the foot cam? Am I missing some prop in the image?

Other than that, it looks like a great addition to the park!
Favorite Steel: The Incredible Hulk
Favorite Wooden: Storm Chaser

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat May 04, 2019 7:53 am

This looks great! Ireland really needed another ride.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Eiffel Tower & Nigloland

Postby Philrad71 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:02 am

Love, love, LOVE this addition!!

One can only hope that BGT gets one in the coming years too.

Thanks for sharing, Chuck...great photos and captions, as always!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat May 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Looks good! Those rides are always a blast. I love the ones that are raised up too, gives that much more height for extra freaking out at the top.

Postby prozach626 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:29 pm

The seats look like they give you a lot of freedom which would heighten the experience, vs. Skyhawk at Cedar Point, IIRC. The Ireland area always felt dead to us. This really looks like it will liven up the area.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 pm

caleb.stone wrote:At the risk of sounding dumb; how does she keep her leg straight under the forces at the bottom of the swing for the foot cam? Am I missing some prop in the image?

She never skips leg day.

Postby bert425 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:48 pm

that really is such *perfect* placement for this, and a great fit for that area of the park (which really did need a flat of some sort there). . yes, yes, the Battle for Eire and the Irish Dancing show are both good fun, but nice to have a "thrill ride" there now too.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!