TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

From this angle it sort of looks like a fully completed Universal's Volcano Bay.

[attachment=0]59183098_889369911412446_6184578771085950976_n.jpg[/attachment]

PS: This image is floating around Facebook and I'm unable to find the original source. If you know, shout them out and I'll update the post.

That tiny piece of track on the left looks so lonely.

From this angle it sort of looks like a fully completed Universal's Volcano Bay.

[attachment=0]59183098_889369911412446_6184578771085950976_n.jpg[/attachment]

PS: This image is floating around Facebook and I'm unable to find the original source. If you know, shout them out and I'll update the post.

That tiny piece of track on the left looks so lonely.

the short section going up the center looks so sad too. . but yeah, the little piece you pointed out looks like it's just a bug hanging on for dear life.

so sad .. . .but hopefully something really cool will eventually come in to take it's place in KD line up.

thumb_59183098_889369911412446_6184578771085950976_n.jpg

This hurts my heart! I feel like I am one of the few who actually really enjoyed Volcano.

I think they should have Intamin come out and do "Son of Volcano"!

Now that's an idea I could get behind!!

I feel like I am one of the few who actually really enjoyed Volcano.

I don't think that's the case at all! There's a LOT of love for it here. I loved that ride (and I don't love or even tolerate a lot of rides)!

Read back through the thread where its demolition is announced and you'll see a lot of us were quite bummed.

Yeah, Volcano was my jam. Bill and I were crying into our beers about it down at the park a few weeks ago. It wasn't balls-to-the-wall intense, but it was unique and just wonky in the best way. Good launches, the barrel rolls up top were just fun and I actually really liked the drop into the brakes, as I like rides that end with a bang as opposed to a whimper. There was nothing bad about it, as long as you had FL+ to bypass the always-awful wait.

Yeah, Volcano was my jam. Bill and I were crying into our beers about it down at the park a few weeks ago

Is that how it went down? If I shed any tears at the beer place they were tears of joy when I saw the size of the beer flights. That’s not a flight, that’s just four beers in a line.

Question regarding visiting KD when the school term is still ongoing.

My experience at Canada's Wonderland is that the park tends to be less busy on these days....and therefore Fastlane/Fastlane Plus becomes more of a "wait and see" type affair.

Would it be fair to say that this is the case at Kings Dominion? We are heading to the park on Monday June 3rd.....I normally always get Fastlane in advance for our travels, but this is the first trip for us in a while where we are travelling when it is still term time (outside of Disney/Universal) Given that I don't know the park or the area that well...seems best to ask here.

Question regarding visiting KD when the school term is still ongoing.

My experience at Canada's Wonderland is that the park tends to be less busy on these days....and therefore Fastlane/Fastlane Plus becomes more of a "wait and see" type affair.

Not a KD regular but last season I visited on a Monday in August before the new school term started and FL was not needed. I would take a wait and see approach.

The main reason to get FastLane Plus was Volcano and now that's out of the equation

Don't remind me!! My son has already asked me to confirm whether Volcano really is done for good!! My fault for not getting to KD earlier!! We are both consoled with I305 and Twisted Timbers though...which are the two rides we are most looking forward to.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it....and I will take the wait and see approach. I pretty much figured that it would be similar to Canada when the kids are still in school, but always good to get the local and expert opinion.

Kings Dominion is still completely f*cking awesome even without Volcano. No question its one of the best parks on the east coast. You're gonna love it.

The main reason to get FastLane Plus was Volcano and now that's out of the equation

Don't remind me!! My son has already asked me to confirm whether Volcano really is done for good!! My fault for not getting to KD earlier!! We are both consoled with I305 and Twisted Timbers though...which are the two rides we are most looking forward to.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it....and I will take the wait and see approach. I pretty much figured that it would be similar to Canada when the kids are still in school, but always good to get the local and expert opinion.

When I'm really skeptical of crowds, I usually try to give it until noon to make my decision, which almost always... well... always... ends up in favor of FL+. If you're like me, shaving 10-20 minutes off of queues to parks I rarely visit is worth it. It will probably be worth it for TT, alone if RMC hybrids are your thing.

Here's a quick little trip report from Saturday. Since this weekend was mainly about Busch Gardens I only spent about 4 hours at Kings Dominion before the rain came in, but I managed to get on everything.

At opening I went right to Avalanche since it has such a low capacity and the line tends to move slow. It worked out as I managed to be front row on the first train of the day! I'm glad this ride is still around as it is a fun little ride, although the view from the lift has changed a bit.

From here I hit Anaconda and of course, it had no line, but I love this ride so I can't complain. STILL NO WATER EFFECTS THOUGH. Following this was Timmy which never gets old. It was already warmed up really early in the morning and running incredibly fast you can't deny the love for the twistyness!

Next up was twisted timbers, which was hauling as usual. The metal detector system was interesting and now uses green and red cards instead of stamps. Regardless of this system the ride ops didn't seem to actually check at all if people actually put phones and keys in the pouches, so while I hope this policy works out I cannot be certain

From here I hit Apple Zapple and Grizzly. Apple Zapple always seems to have a bit of a line so I normally pass on it, but my girlfriend had never been on it so we took the wait. On the other hand Grizzly was hauling and running much better than it was during my last rides in the beginning of April.

At this point it was time for Flight of Fear which is a personal favorite of mine. Flight of Fear seems to run very consistently and always well, but I definitely recommend the front over the back. The 15 minute wait was made shorter through meeting another coaster nerd who understands the language my girlfriend doesn't . We then went to hit Dominator, but it had a bit of a line so Rebel Racer 75 Yell it was. I must say this ride has become.... let's just say interesting. The ride is about half retracked at this point so you get moments of super smooth sailing followed by jarring bumping and then back to smoothness. I'm glad it is being maintained though as I would hate to see it go the way of Thunder Road.

The final ride of the day was Dominator which in the front row is actually pretty good! and I didn't get as much rattling as I did in the back last month, which is definitely a plus. At this point it started raining a bit so I hit the shops to appease my pin collecting habit.

IMG_20190511_111255.thumb.jpg.07efac7e342f4eab329bc071eb7dd952.jpg

What was once a horrid sight has become a thing of beauty

IMG_20190511_123549.thumb.jpg.dd5c631d0891228043fd2dfa34465367.jpg

Definitely a front row ride

IMG_20190511_142938.thumb.jpg.1a7c6ae058aca8d61214411db6b78b7d.jpg

It looks like the eiffel tower repaint is almost complete

IMG_20190511_143400.thumb.jpg.fcd76e8b03962b9d0a309ba34a21d25c.jpg

And finally since this is a short report here are the remains of the extinct volcano, there really isn't much left anymore basically just the station

When I'm really skeptical of crowds, I usually try to give it until noon to make my decision, which almost always... well... always... ends up in favor of FL+. If you're like me, shaving 10-20 minutes off of queues to parks I rarely visit is worth it. It will probably be worth it for TT, alone if RMC hybrids are your thing.

I'm with you on that, and I think this will be the way we approach it.

I have only been on Iron Rattler on the RMC front and LOVED it, so very much looking forward to TT. It will be my son's first time on an RMC coaster (he wasn't quite ready when we were in Texas) but now is super excited! He wants to go to Dollywood next year to ride Lightning Rod! I better start planning!

I agree that for the big rides Fastlane plus is the way to go..especially if it means re-rides later in the day. We always budget for it anyway. Will let you know how it works out. Thankyou for the advice.