Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:21 pm

mikeykaise wrote:The signs along the que says 35 mph but I heard someone say something about being closer to 50.

It's physically impossible for this coaster to reach 50 mph given its height. But I'm sure the tight hills and transitions of these Gravity Group coasters makes it feel much faster though. Probably the fastest-feeling 35 mph ever!
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:14 pm

mikeykaise wrote:...The signs along the que says 35 mph but I heard someone say something about being closer to 50.

Don’t believe it!!! I’ve heard someone say TTD reaches over 200mph.... people will say just about anything now days days if they think it makes them seem some how superior by “knowing” something others don’t.
Bigger is not always better.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby tndank » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:53 pm

Driving back from KI I decided to hit up Kentucky Kingdom. Never been before. Had a great time. I can't wait to return later and see the whole park going.

Not many people there today. Everything was a walk on which was nice. 2 trains going on Flyer so it was pretty much walk up the stairs and sit down. Fun little ride. Rode it a few times and enjoy it. Like everyone else has said, little more airtime than I really thought it would have.

I enjoyed Lightning Run and it is super smooth. Storm Chaser was really nice. I have been riding Lightning Rod a bunch lately and Storm Chaser holds it's own. I was grinning the whole time. Rode it a bunch today. The first drop/roll and hill are top notch.

T3 is ok; just a little rough here and there. Thunder Run was decent enough. Seemed to have a ton of new track towards the end.

Everyone was nice. Couldn't ask for more. I'll be back soon.

Also met Daniel from Midway Mayhem and some OVC guys and chatted with them. Nice folks. Nice running into some youtube'ers that I've watched for awhile. Good times today.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:47 pm

Many are saying this is a great, probably best, family coaster, but this looks like a legit good coaster
Looks like it carries good speed over the hills, (yeah not real fast but not real big either, all enthusiasts know everything is relative) and just saw a rider POV....there was a pretty good amount of airtime.

Given the park has 2 A+ coasters already this is indeed a superb addition.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby ShaneH » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:53 am

Kentucky Flyer is the first small Gravity Group I've ridden and it is a perfect family coaster. I had tons of fun on it and so did people across all age demographics. I rode with a little kid when he needed someone to ride with and he loved it. It was his 2nd coaster after Roller Skater and it was very thrilling but not too scary for him. Overall a super reridable and fun coaster that I plan on riding each visit to the park.
Steel: Iron Rattler |Steel Vengeance|Millennium Force|I305|Wicked Cyclone
Wood: El Toro|Voyage|Lightning Rod |Phoenix|Legend

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby palmerleeberry » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:54 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:
mikeykaise wrote:...The signs along the que says 35 mph but I heard someone say something about being closer to 50.

Don’t believe it!!! I’ve heard someone say TTD reaches over 200mph.... people will say just about anything now days days if they think it makes them seem some how superior by “knowing” something others don’t.

I have a feeling we need someone with a radar gun to settle this debate. I saw on an episode of "Mr. Wizard" on Nickelodeon ( This was years and years ago) when he took a radar gun to the amusement park and recorded how fast their corkscrew coaster was going down the lift hill. The kid that traveled with him ( Mr. Wizard always have a kid with him when doing science experiments) told Mr. Wizard that when the train goes down the first hill it felt like he was going a hundred miles an hour, but when Mr. Wizard scanned the coaster train going down the first hill he announced that the train was going 35 mph. Now 35 mph isn't very fast when traveling in a car, but in a coaster car going over hills and tight curves at that speed can make the rider feel like they are going very fast. He also scanned the swinging pirate ship in that same episode and announced that that ride swings back and forth at 18 mph.

So if you want to find out how fast a certain coaster train is going then invest in a radar gun. ;)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby diamondzznspurs » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Have to chime in as well, we were lucky enough to attend Media day and quite honestly we were blown away. We've only been to the park once and it wasn't a good representation as it was during the state fair and a lot was closed. The food spread was so awesome and everything I tried was so good. I was not expecting much from the coaster as it was advertised as a family coaster, boy was I wrong. If I was young I would have been terrified of this coaster. It doesn't look like a whole lot but oh my was it fun. The only negative I would say is I wish it was longer. I rode three time, front, second and last row, my preference is front. We really didn't have any plans of going back but after riding this coaster and the great event KK put on we will definitely be visiting this summer.
Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Maverucj 3. Beast 4. Millennium Force 5. Mystic Timbers 6. Top Thrill dragster 7. Valravyn 8. Gatekeeper 9. Banshee 10. Diamondback

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby mikeykaise » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:29 am

I was the same way, 35mph family coaster no big thrill for coaster people there but then as soon as I dropped I was like wow! Are you kidding me right now... lol

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:37 pm

This park has an obsession with airtime and I freaking love it. Even their drop tower is the best and its only 130ft tall.

Postby prozach626 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:56 am

palmerleeberry wrote:
I have a feeling we need someone with a radar gun to settle this debate.

No radar gun is necessary. I trust Newton.

thrillseeker4552 wrote:It's physically impossible for this coaster to reach 50 mph given its height.

This. Maybe the coaster train varies within a couple miles per hour, but a 30% increase is not realistic.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!