TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lakemont Park changes

So basically they're upgrading a few things that they already have (like mini golf and go karts), removing a bunch of things (which were admittedly garbage) and promoting the fact that they're replacing them with nothing as exciting new green space. Aside from that they're adding volleyball courts and basketball courts?

If I'm understanding this correctly then I don't get it. Personally I don't care because Skyliner and Leap the Dips are the only things in the park that I have any interest in anyway but I mean... if Lakemont was having financial issues then how is this going to fix that? It's sort of the same thing it was before only with more grass.

I hope this works out for them but I don't totally get it.

So basically they're upgrading a few things that they already have (like mini golf and go karts), removing a bunch of things (which were admittedly garbage) and promoting the fact that they're replacing them with nothing as exciting new green space. Aside from that they're adding volleyball courts and basketball courts?

If I'm understanding this correctly then I don't get it. Personally I don't care because Skyliner and Leap the Dips are the only things in the park that I have any interest in anyway but I mean... if Lakemont was having financial issues then how is this going to fix that? It's sort of the same thing it was before only with more grass.

Get rid of the stuff that isn't making you money but costs it to raise cash. Keep the stuff that isn't terrible. Go pay-per-attraction instead of POP. Add FEC stuff like bumper boats, mini golf, new go-karts, and batting cages. Makes sense to me rather than try to do the same thing as Delgrossos.

I do like the pay per attraction model. They really need to piggyback off of the Curve crowds and families are probably a lot more likely to pop in and ride one or two rides than to pay for everyone in the family to get into the park for an hour (or whatever) before the game.

I actually forgot that they used to charge for admission since whenever we went there there was always some promotion where everything was free and you only had to pay for Leap the Dips. I think it was a holiday weekend promotion which (to me) seemed like the most asinine thing ever but... okay.

Saving on staffing costs is the only thing I can think of. Maybe they think that removing a ride is better than seeing one still and non-operational.

Staffing, maintenance, insurance, utilities... It takes a lot to keep a ride going. Insurance especially is a cost that many enthusiasts don't even think of. In some states it can be ridiculous.

The stuff they got rid of wasn't the stuff that people came to the park for. Due to their staffing, some of those rides barely operated anyway, from what I hear. Maybe they sold a few extra tickets for those rides, but probably not enough to make a profit on. Removing those rides might cut their revenue by 10%, but I'm sure their costs will drop by over 50%.

Hopefully if they have some success they can focus on improving the park and adding new amenities that will also stand out on their own and pull a profit.

They are showing several "concert" spaces, which kind of seems like an out for justifying the empty green spaces. If they do come up with some events to utilize those spaces it will be a boon for the park though. A lot of successful park management these days hinges on programing, even for municipal parks.

They're re-targeting themselves. Instead of trying to be an amusement park, they appear to be trying to position themselves as a traditional city park / public space that just so happens to have amusement rides. I would definitely agree with what you said about spending a few hours in the park before / after a Curves game, that sort of repeat business will probably be what continues to let them operate. Plus, now that a lot of their space is open park land, picnic areas and concert venues, they can continue to operate in at least some capacity all year.

You could draw comparisons to the Sustainable Playland project with this in my opinion. That never got off the ground, but if this does and it's successful, the "city park with rides" model could become a viable type of family entertainment center, or even as big as Tulsa's Gathering Place. I would LOVE that.

The park makes a HUGE amount of their business on corporate picnics. Sounds to me like what they are doing is increasing that area of their business to have more amenities for that. It's not uncommon at all for businesses to come to a place like Lakemont, have their company picnic, softball games, etc. Even the company picnic areas at Six Flags Magic Mountain have Volleyball nets.

Even if they may be taking away some old and busted rides and replacing it with "green space" that is actually an overall improvement to the park.

I'm happy to see this park get a bit of a new breath of life and I hope it works out for them.

• 6 months later...

Lakemont IS opening this year it seems. Article goes into sone detail about what’s been done and what to expect. I’d have been happy if a few flats stuck around but an overall pleased with what they kept and some of the new stuff looks nice! Pricing seems steep to some folks because of how cheap it was before. I think it’s fair. Just they have direct competition with Delgrossos. $5 more with coupons gets you a lot more. Will be interested to see how this plays out and plan to visit this summer!

http://www.altoonamirror.com/news/local-news/2019/04/country-praises-lakemont-park-plan/

6A1F1249-71E4-44AC-AB65-411EF1B610EA.thumb.jpeg.abb7b9e7515a53928f9ddabc84e507eb.jpeg

Hey, hey, hey, this might be a step in the right direction for this park. Upon seeing the price list and what's contained inside this park I'm delighted they still kept the train ride (what else can I say except that I like train rides?). They also kept the paddle boats which I do not care for, but I'm sure many other riders do.

I'm thinking about Adventureland Park in Fredrick, Maryland when it first opened and how they began to add more rides within the upcoming years. I was there when they debuted their first coaster, today they have two coasters and an extra flat ride that wasn't there before. If Lakemont Park's inaugural season works out, maybe they would do the same ( I can see them putting in another coaster, a water slide, or even a bounce house for the kiddies) I can even see them attracting more people if they put on a weekly concert series out on the greens.

But whatever happens I do hope and wish them the best of luck.

Hmmm...no rides only pass?

I mean for $20, can you really complain? Just don't do the waterpark.

You just asked if someone could really complain on the internet....

giphy.gif

Seriously, it is TWENTY F**KING DOLLARS... to ride as much as you want... How much cheaper do you want it to get????

The park was comically underpriced before

The last time we went there they were literally giving out free ride-all-day passes to every single guest all day. The only thing you had to pay for was Leap the Dips. I've never seen anything so ridiculous.

giphy.gif

Seriously, it is TWENTY F**KING DOLLARS... to ride as much as you want... How much cheaper do you want it to get????

For clarity.... I'm not bitching about the price, but the fact that we have no interest in the water attractions.

giphy.gif

For clarity.... I'm not bitching about the price, but the fact that we have no interest in the water attractions.

I don't go to the water park when I go to Dorney or Hershey and I don't ask where their rides-only price is...

I don't either, because there are enough rides at Dorney park to keep us buisy for the day. Even with our platinum pass, we may have hit a waterpark twice in 8 years.

I also don't think the price is "bad", I just think it's odd that they dont offer a dry ride option for people that take a pass on the waterpark. I guess the individual ticket option is the best route to go.

One ride on each coaster comes out to $8 total. There are probably SBF spinners out there at FECs that cost that much for one ride and credit whores don't seem to bat an eye there.

It costs $10 a ride on White Lightning here at Fun Spot.

$16 for a ride on Manhattan Express last time I was in Vegas.

All I'm saying is that $20 is cheap af for an all-day ride pass, especially when you have rides as good or as legendary as Leap the Dips or Skyliner.

Edited by robbalvey

One ride on each coaster comes out to $8 total. There are probably SBF spinners out there at FECs that cost that much for one ride and credit whores don't seem to bat an eye there.

Agree 100%

Cj Berrymores has one of those spinning coasters. I believe its $8 per ride as you mentioned. As soon as it decides not to rain on my days off, I'll be there riding it.

I'd say this is an improvement considering Leap the Dips wasn't on the Pay-One-Price plan when I was there last time and I rode Skyliner a couple of times. Still debating whether to spend the 2 1/2 hours of driving and Pa Turnpike tolls to re-visit the park sometime this year, but we'll see.