Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1050: 2020 park and water park additions announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:06 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a clone of Kings Islands "Bat*, except much cooler because there is a mountain :-p

It really is a great, underrated ride, though. I always make a point to get on it, so much fun.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 pm

SteVeUrkle wrote:I just watched a POV of Vortex at Canada's Wonderland which I don't think I've ever seen before and WOW!

Is this perhaps the best still operating Arrow Suspended that exists? After that first drop the ride never gives up, swinging all over the place and keeping pace the entire ride! Dare I say, better than Ninja at Magic Mountain? Man that thing really seems to haul, and I'm glad Canada's Wonderland has been able to keep such an intense Arrow Suspended still operating. Props to the park, that ride looks awesome!

Having rode Vortex many times over the years, it is quite forceful and amazing! My favourite place to ride on it is in the back seat as it just pulls you from start to finish. It always draws a line due to its swinging motion and forces that it produces. It never disappoints!

anonymouscactus wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a clone of Kings Islands "Bat*, except much cooler because there is a mountain :-p

It really is a great, underrated ride, though. I always make a point to get on it, so much fun.

Well, I would say The Bat at Kings Island is a clone of Vortex at Canada's Wonderland since Vortex opened in 1991, two years before The Bat (Top Gun/Flight Deck) had. I've been on both, and I always prefer Vortex due to its location and its overall smoothness and speed. While nearly identical, The Bat at Kings Island seemed a tad slower and slightly uncomfortable when I rode it in 2014 and 2016. It was still quite fun, but not nearly as fun or intense as Vortex. We're quite lucky to have it!

On a side note, I rode Vortex last night during Season Pass Sneak Preview Night and it seemed even more so intense than usual due to the amazing and new Yukon Striker interacting with it. There is at least one section where the cars swing quite close to Yukon Striker's supports! :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby SteVeUrkle » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a clone of Kings Islands "Bat*

Wow! You are right! Although the supports are vastly different, the track spine joints are literally all in the same spots throughout the entire ride. Can't believe I didn't pick up on that before. I feel like part of the GP sucker crew now lol.

However, Vortex when compared to Bat side by side with numerous POV's, seems way more intense and faster than Bat. Maybe it's just the surroundings, or maybe there are different train sway patterns based on how Canada's Wonderland lets those shock absorbers operate on the train. Because when you put them next to each other the ride time off the chain lift to the brake run is pretty negligible, but maybe that sway and just *slight* couple seconds of time cut on Vortex makes all the difference.

Johnlloyd wrote:
Having rode Vortex many times over the years, it is quite forceful and amazing! My favourite place to ride on it is in the back seat as it just pulls you from start to finish. It always draws a line due to its swinging motion and forces that it produces. It never disappoints!

anonymouscactus wrote:Well, I would say The Bat at Kings Island is a clone of Vortex at Canada's Wonderland since Vortex opened in 1991, two years before The Bat (Top Gun/Flight Deck) had. I've been on both, and I always prefer Vortex due to its location and its overall smoothness and speed. While nearly identical, The Bat at Kings Island seemed a tad slower and slightly uncomfortable when I rode it in 2014 and 2016. It was still quite fun, but not nearly as fun or intense as Vortex. We're quite lucky to have it!

I would agree with you quite a bit anonymouscactus. While Bat was definitely worthy of a re-ride, (not better than Ninja, just falls a bit short of it) I feel like Vortex might actually be one of the best Arrow Suspendeds out there with how intense numerous POV's appear to be.

Learning these types of things is a BIG part of why being a coaster enthusiast is so fun.
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:48 am

The new Yukon Striker bin system at work
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Carowinds

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby southpuddle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:06 am

That’s pretty impressive, but isn’t everything inside the bins going to slide and crash down to one side when it reaches that incline?

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby 11slataus » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:56 am

SteVeUrkle wrote:
anonymouscactus wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a clone of Kings Islands "Bat*

Wow! You are right! Although the supports are vastly different, the track spine joints are literally all in the same spots throughout the entire ride. Can't believe I didn't pick up on that before. I feel like part of the GP sucker crew now lol.

However, Vortex when compared to Bat side by side with numerous POV's, seems way more intense and faster than Bat. Maybe it's just the surroundings, or maybe there are different train sway patterns based on how Canada's Wonderland lets those shock absorbers operate on the train. Because when you put them next to each other the ride time off the chain lift to the brake run is pretty negligible, but maybe that sway and just *slight* couple seconds of time cut on Vortex makes all the difference.

Johnlloyd wrote:

anonymouscactus wrote:Well, I would say The Bat at Kings Island is a clone of Vortex at Canada's Wonderland since Vortex opened in 1991, two years before The Bat (Top Gun/Flight Deck) had. I've been on both, and I always prefer Vortex due to its location and its overall smoothness and speed. While nearly identical, The Bat at Kings Island seemed a tad slower and slightly uncomfortable when I rode it in 2014 and 2016. It was still quite fun, but not nearly as fun or intense as Vortex. We're quite lucky to have it!

I would agree with you quite a bit anonymouscactus. While Bat was definitely worthy of a re-ride, (not better than Ninja, just falls a bit short of it) I feel like Vortex might actually be one of the best Arrow Suspendeds out there with how intense numerous POV's appear to be.

Learning these types of things is a BIG part of why being a coaster enthusiast is so fun.

Bat also runs with one extra car, which I suppose must be the reason it's not tied for fastest suspended like Vortex is (with SFMM's Ninja). Must slow it down slightly.

Personally, I liked Bat a bit better as a I liked swinging through the woods and its little valley back along the queue area KI has back there. Vortex is obviously great (and is probably better now with YS) but going over a flat lake didn't quite do as much for me.

It's odd that Bat is the clone, seeing as Bat seems much more custom-designed for KI's topography than Vortex is for CW.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Sledgehammer_77 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:26 am

Vortex's lift hill is built on a mountain, how is that topography not appropriate? It's helix is also around a island in the middle of the pond.

Looking at the KI version on Google maps just looks like they plopped it on a piece of flat land with a lot of tree's.... ho hum.
1. Steel Vengance 2. Maverick 3. Behemoth 4. Leviathan 5. Millennium Force

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:22 pm

CaptainUnknown wrote:The new Yukon Striker bin system at work

Looks impressive. But let's hope nothing causes it/them to suddenly stop and get 'stuck'.
That would probably cause a small riot in that part of the station.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby 11slataus » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:32 pm

Sledgehammer_77 wrote:Vortex's lift hill is built on a mountain, how is that topography not appropriate? It's helix is also around a island in the middle of the pond.

Looking at the KI version on Google maps just looks like they plopped it on a piece of flat land with a lot of tree's.... ho hum.

I get what you're saying with the mountain so that's a fair point, but KI's spot for Bat is nowhere at all near flat.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby tanthonyam » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Future trip planning advice needed.... from Toronto airport are there any shuttles that go to the park area or close by hotels? I really don't want to rent a car.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!