Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 127: Havana Nights at The Edison details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Postby DallasAlvey » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:15 pm

TPR was invited out to Amway Center for the Grand Opening announcement of the NBA Experience as well as hear more about the new offering at Disney Springs!

Press Release:
-NBA Experience, the brand-new destination coming to Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort, officially opens Aug. 12, 2019. The NBA Experience will give guests the chance to feel like a basketball superstar.
--
"When we were young, we played basketball in our driveways or in the park, creating those
imaginary moments of making the game-winning shot for a championship," said Stan Dodd, executive producer, Walt Disney Imagineering. "We want to take that energy and help you feel what it's like to be an actual NBA or WNBA player."

In collaboration with the NBA, Disney is developing NBA Experience as a one-of-a-kind environment packed with 13 interactive elements and hands-on activities across 44,000 square feet and two floors. Upon entry, guests will feel as if they're walking through the players' tunnel at an NBA or WNBA arena. A ticket to NBA Experience grants access to every activity, in any order guests choose, with the ability to return to stations to improve performances or learn even mor e about the game, players and teams they love. In addition to the competitions and games, the experience will also include a retail store featuring NBA-themed merchandise.

Additional elements of the destination include:
• A slam dunk challenge, where guests can change the height of a standard 10-foot hoop to as low as seven feet to perform their own superstar moves - captured by burst photography.
• An activity that tests shooting skills with spots on a court that light up as guests move from one location to another attempting to sink as many shots as possible in 15 seconds.
• A way for guests to see how they stack up to some of the world's best basketball players by measuring their vertical leap, wingspan, shooting and dribbling.
• Personalization for various activities with guests' names and associating the activity with their favorite NBA or WNBA teams.
• Real-time technology to aggregate statistics of NBA and WNBA games and players for continuous updates, while leaderboards will track top NBA Experience performers throughout each day.

Mickey’s here and ready for basketball!

It’s game time at AmwayCenter!

3B983186-D88D-498E-A565-5CF25564A1EA.jpeg
Was a really fun night! NBA Experience opens August 12th at Disney Springs!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:58 pm

As a sports fan, I love stuff like this! I hope it does well and they leverage the partnership with player appearances, contests for tickets, etc.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Halian » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:47 pm

I think they should have overhauled DisneyQuest instead, but I'm not sure how much of that opinion is owed to ① not being an NBA fan ② being underwhelmed by NBA City at Universal.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:16 pm

DallasAlvey wrote:guests can change the height of a standard 10-foot hoop to as low as seven feet to perform their own superstar moves

I'm skeptical.

Disney Magic is amazing but even the best Imagineers in the world can't help me do anything with a basketball that any sane / sober person would refer to as a "superstar move".

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:58 am

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:26 pm

On Tuesday, April 23rd, acclaimed celebrity chef, Wolfgang Puck, will be bringing his flagship restaurant, Spago, to Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill Disney Springs for a one night only special dinner event. Guests will be able to experience Chef Wolfgang Puck’s classic Spago dishes like the Smoked Salmon Pizza, Tuna Cones, and his Wienerschnitzel.

Wolfgang Puck will also be bringing some of his talented chefs from Spago Beverly Hills, CUT at the Rosewood and Wolfgang Puck American Grill, to present The Spago Experience.

Dinner reservations will go from 5 pm – 10 pm with a pre-fix menu of $98/per person.

Link to book: https://www.sevenrooms.com/reservations/wolfgangorlando?default_date=2019-04-23&default_time=5:00PM
wolfgang puck 1.png
wolfgang puck 2.png
wolfgang puck 3.png

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:40 pm

CUT is one of my favorite restaurants in Vegas...I am sure this will be a spectacular event!

Love that more high end dining is coming to Disney Springs!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:02 pm

There is so much that happens behind-the-scenes & "beyond the parks" at Walt Disney World which usually goes unnoticed by most guests. It's always nice when Disney gives us a little look behind the magic to really have an appreciation of what it takes to bring everything you see in the parks to life. Such was the case when we got to visit Walt Disney World's new solar farm!

You may remember that Walt Disney World built a solar farm in the shape of Mickey Mouse (of course they did! lol) but now, they've taken things one HUGE step forward! A 270-acre solar farm, the size of TWO Magic Kingdom's that will power two of the theme parks at Walt Disney World!

And we got to check it out...

001.JPEG
This morning we are heading to Walt Disney World, but for a DIFFERENT kind of fun!

002.jpg
You may remember the original Solar Farm that Disney build... it looked like Mickey Mouse... because... Disney! :mickey:

003.jpg
While the new 270-acre solar farm may not represent any Disney character, it does stand for something a bit more important... generating enough renewable clean energy to operate two of Disney’s four theme parks

004.jpg
As you drive into the facility there are solar panels everywhere you look!

005.jpg
Located adjacent to State Road 429 on the WDW property, as you drive by, it seems like the solar panels go on for miles!

006.jpg
And I present to you... Disney's solar farm!!!

007.jpg
Not only can the over half-a-million solar panels generate 50 megawatts of power...

008.jpg
They also have the ability to move and track the sun throughout the day! (They are probably smarter than most of us!) :lol:

009.jpg
That's a lot of wires! Not even my computer desk is that well organized!

010.jpg
Fun Fact! The facility is also pollinator friendly! With the goal of creating a nurturing and welcoming habitat for butterflies, bees and other insects!

011.JPG
Yes, these creatures are welcome neighbors to the solar farm and are also helping the environment!

012.jpg
Yay! We got to sign one of the solar panels!

013.jpg
Now Theme Park Review will live on in solar power history! :b

VOLUME UP! Listen to Angie speak about the solar farm and some of the interesting facts and info about it!

Thanks for reading everyone! Now...

POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:20 pm.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:08 pm

That's awesome! The scale of this is insane.

Postby bert425 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:59 pm

I followed along with y'all on twitter when you were there. . and saw a story about this running on our local Spectrum News (looked for you in the background with no luck, but immediately recognized Angie in her green shirt when I saw the story come on) :)

it's so cool that Disney is so forward thinking, and able to power TWO of the parks via solar.

it's great that they are finding alternative energy uses!

great report, and so neat to go behind the scenes.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!