Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1050: 2020 park and water park additions announced!
Users viewing this topic: DarienPoint and 20 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby SteVeUrkle » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:54 pm

kotsy wrote:I'm really surprised they never themed the tunnel and just left it as bare concrete. They went the extra mile for the mine-shaft area after the vertical loo.

I think you're mistaken, as they didn't theme that mine-shaft tunnel. What you're looking at is bare reinforcing underground steel material. It's the same stuff used on the tunnel after Cheetah Hunt's "tree figure 8" which isn't themed at all either. It's the same stuff street construction workers use to keep the land on their sides from collapsing when they're working underground. Why they don't spend a couple thousand dollars freshening up something so ugly after spending 10's of MILLIONS on a coaster, is beyond me. Hell, even bolting some 1x6's to the sides would look sweet!

mikeykaise wrote:I love how it dives through the turn around of another coaster and then flies over top of the same coaster, very cool!

This actually bugs me about this coaster. In standard B&M form, besides the initial tunnel, they ignore everything around what they're building and just "plop" the thing on top of everything. That spot after the first dive loop is a perfect example of "Welp, we'll just build OVER it!" I'd prefer if B&M would incorporate the existing rides around what they're building and adapt the coasters' circuit to them. It would make their rides seem SO much less cookie cutter, and arguably, this one comes off just like the latter.

Debbie Downer Alert: I dunno. B&M just does not impress me anymore. These dive machines, or a lot of their rides these days are just so watered down, to be honest. Yukon Striker as a Dive Coaster goes SO slow on some of its inversions, they're forceless, that MCBR is laughable, and I've been on more than a couple of these now: but after riding one, you've pretty much done all of them.

It's just not something that would ever "entice" me to go out of my way to visit a park that I didn't want to visit in the first place. Even friends and family that have been on these with me would literally rather "skip" them on their next visits, because they all suck.
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:10 pm

SteVeUrkle wrote:
It's just not something that would ever "entice" me to go out of my way to visit a park that I didn't want to visit in the first place. Even friends and family that have been on these with me would literally rather "skip" them on their next visits, because they all suck.

"They all suck"? Really?

Its one thing to say that you personally find a ride underwhelming (which is fair), but then you just jump to saying "they SUCK". Not only that, you say "they ALL suck". Have you ridden all 15 B&M dive coasters in the world to make such a sweeping generality? I suspect not...

As far as I'm concerned, a ride normally has to have something that causes an undue of discomfort/pain in order for it to "suck" (excessively rough, too much headbanging etc.) And no, I wouldn't consider vest restraints necessraily to be one of things (granted, some people really find them uncomfortable - but I've heard more complaints about it reducing airtime etc. rather than it being uncomfortable) .

Petty complaints of a ride being "forceless" or watered down is not enough to constitute true suckishness - but thats just my opinion!

To be fair, you did give a Debbie Downer alert. :lol:

(P.S. But honestly, might you refrain from shitting on a coaster you haven't even ridden yet?)
Last edited by Intamin_coyote on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:54 am.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby MIAfan88 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:11 am

It looks slow in some areas, but more circuits and warm weather will help with that. I don't think I've ever seen MCBR catwalks shake like it did at the end.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:32 am

Married a Canadian wrote:If you are flying back from YYZ, they do US preborder clearance (customs) AT the airport, and the line ups do get pretty long. They recommend arriving at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours before a US flight simply because of the wait time in customs.

Wow. I had no idea I would have to allot myself that much time. I really appreciate your feedback.

SteVeUrkle wrote:
Debbie Downer Alert: I dunno. B&M just does not impress me anymore. These dive machines, or a lot of their rides these days are just so watered down, to be honest. Yukon Striker as a Dive Coaster goes SO slow on some of its inversions, they're forceless, that MCBR is laughable, and I've been on more than a couple of these now: but after riding one, you've pretty much done all of them.

Did you ride it? Sounds like your attitude really sucks, dude.

I'll just quote myself from an earlier post:

prozach626 wrote:
operative_me wrote:You'll love it. Fury defintely lives up to the hype. What 300+ ft coaster that goes 90+ mph doesn't? Oh wait some think Millennium Force sucks lol. Which is the other giga I've been on. Both are great rides.

And most of those people are one of the reasons I only communicate with a few unlucky enthusiasts outside of these forums.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:31 am

I love when people talk shit about dive coasters because it gives me the opportunity to tell them that if a massive roller coaster with a ridiculous 250 foot tall vertical drop going 80-some mph into multiple inversions, tunnels etc etc is boring/dull? Then you probably need to just find a new hobby. Shut it down, its all over for ya.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Married a Canadian » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:54 am

This actually bugs me about this coaster. In standard B&M form, besides the initial tunnel, they ignore everything around what they're building and just "plop" the thing on top of everything. That spot after the first dive loop is a perfect example of "Welp, we'll just build OVER it!" I'd prefer if B&M would incorporate the existing rides around what they're building and adapt the coasters' circuit to them. It would make their rides seem SO much less cookie cutter, and arguably, this one comes off just like the latter

Criticism is "OK" if you are actually critiquing and making sense! You are saying here that the first drop which goes THROUGH the turn of another coaster WHILE that coaster is actually in operation is "cookie cutter". They actually have adapted Yukon Striker to go through the course of Vortex in a pretty nifty way...and you say that you would like B and M to incorporate existing rides into the circuit. Well they have here...so what are you complaining about?

I said earlier...you could technically say that CW has a "duelling" element now...any train on the drop of YS and any train on the turn of Vortex will be in close proximity to each other. That seems OK to me.

As others have said....criticising the ride now before riding it is rather "odd". Criticising the layout for being "cookie cutter" is, dare I say, just wrong!
Top Rides:
1 X2 2 Tatsu 3 Twisted Timbers 4 Apollo's Chariot 5 Skyrush 6 Maverick 7 Iron Rattler 8 Leviathan (front row) 9 Phantom's Revenge 10 Millennium Force 11 Manta 12 Saw The ride 13 Mako

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:01 am

boldikus wrote:I love when people talk shit about dive coasters because it gives me the opportunity to tell them that if a massive roller coaster with a ridiculous 250 foot tall vertical drop going 80-some mph into multiple inversions, tunnels etc etc is boring/dull? Then you probably need to just find a new hobby. Shut it down, its all over for ya.

So true. Understandable that some people can become jaded. I hope it doesn't spread easily! When driving up to the park and seeing that skyline, it's easy to remember why we love this stuff.

SteVeUrkle wrote:This actually bugs me about this coaster. In standard B&M form, besides the initial tunnel, they ignore everything around what they're building and just "plop" the thing on top of everything.

Yukon Striker is a custom design, the furthest from cookie cutter for the very reasons you mention. Its use of the terrain on the side with the second Immelmann, tunnel and vertical loop is definitely different. The pathway beside that section, near the Splash Works entrance, was still under construction so we couldn't get closer. The spiral with the viewing area worked really well. It was definitely the most popular viewing spot.

I love how dive coasters work so well for parks, being one of the coolest looking rides to watch for the non coaster rider (viewing/ F&B areas built around splash downs and now spiral elements), and one of the coolest to ride for the the coaster rider.

Also, keep in mind that they built an entirely new themed area that this coaster belongs to. Both the ride and area are well themed. Some great details all over.

If you love dive coasters, you'll love this one. I've been on six, including Yukon Striker, and it's the most unique. Best themed I hear goes to Baron 1898, although Krake is up there as well.

MIAfan88 wrote:It looks slow in some areas, but more circuits and warm weather will help with that. I don't think I've ever seen MCBR catwalks shake like it did at the end.

It was definitely cold in the morning and cool throughout the day. The station wheel heaters were on all day. I can't wait to try it again in the summer. It snowed during Leviathan's opening day and the last turn into the break run didn't seem like it would happen every time haha

The shake/ wobble is there on the mid course. It's the only place I noticed it unlike Valravn where it felt wobbly/ shaky throughout the entire ride, in particular the lift. Adds to the thrill I guess? :)
Last edited by rollin_n_coastin on Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:52 am.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:51 am

Edit - Double Post

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby BitterOldHag » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:44 am

boldikus wrote:I love when people talk shit about dive coasters because it gives me the opportunity to tell them that if a massive roller coaster with a ridiculous 250 foot tall vertical drop going 80-some mph into multiple inversions, tunnels etc etc is boring/dull? Then you probably need to just find a new hobby. Shut it down, its all over for ya.

This 1000%.

I rode Sheikra back in 2006 and that was my first Dive Coaster. I was blown away and ended up riding it 6 times that day. I came off each time smiling from ear to ear. In 2009 I rode Griffon for the first time. Again, blown away. Yes, the layout of the ride is a bit short, but I came off grinning like a little kid. When Cedar Point announced Valravn, I was ecstatic. Finally I get a Dive Machine nearby. And while most will argue with me, I actually enjoy Valravn more than Steel Vengeance. I can ride it numerous times without feeling sore, and like the previous two, I've got a huge smile plastered across my face after the train hits the brake run. These rides are smooth, thrilling, and just plain fun.

Unfortunately this year has seen the end of my coaster riding... so I will be unable to try Yukon Striker. But I do know one thing- if I did have a chance to ride, I guarantee I'd be as happy as a little girl when I got off. :)

I Love Donkeys!

Postby savetheclocktower » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:56 am

Even if Yukon Striker goes through the inversions slowly, who cares? That would be pulling g's of -1! That's only .3 g's more than El Toro's "minimum" (according to that El Toro graph from the ride force app)! :)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!