Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

P. 212 - Camp Snoopy Coming in 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:31 am

Oh that's a fun promotion. Get fun all winter long, then get a pass which you'll use once but lets you upgrade to a Platinum so you can go to Cedar Point instead.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Parker821 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:49 pm

2019 operating hours are on the website.

Postby VF15 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:46 pm

I'm planning on visiting Michigan's Adventure for a day at some point this year, likely in late July or early August. What's the best order to hit the coasters in the park (I assume Mad Mouse first due to low capacity), and are there any other tips for a first time visitor? Also, are there any hotels nearby in Muskegon that are relatively cheap but not terrible?
Valleyfair Ride Operator
2016 - Wild Thing
2017 - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Cedar Point Ride Operator
2019 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:13 am

Even though it has the best capacity of any coaster in the park, I recommend going to Shivering Timbers first. I know the odds of it breaking down are slim, but when a ride is that much better than everything else in the park, I'd say to do it first.

In terms of lines, the worst coaster was Wolverine Wildcat for me. It ran one train and had bad dispatches. Plus it was actually a fun ride for me.

Corkscrew also runs just one train and can build up a line.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Postby coasterbill » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:20 am

VF15 wrote:are there any other tips for a first time visitor?

Leave early and do this.

Honestly I like this park. I don't mean that as a dig, but unless you're doing the waterpark it's not really a full day park. The dunes in Mears are amazing. Honestly, the Michigan western shore is one of the coolest places in America that nobody talks about.
Last edited by coasterbill on Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:32 pm.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:41 am

Also make sure to stop in downtown Grand Rapids. They have an amazing craft beer scene

As for the park. Unless you go on a Saturday the dry side shouldn't have crazy lines. Wildcat and Mad Mouse are the ones that really ever build up a crazy wait. Thunderhawk seemed to have some issues early in the season and kept having to go down to one train last year. If you are into waterparks they have a massive one. 3 wave pools, 2 kids areas, lazy river and lots of body, tube and family raft slides.

We plan on going opening weekend and will report any noticeable changes we spot and then give my usually yearly prediction for the next off season that is always wrong lol
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

Postby VF15 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:04 am

Thanks for the input, I’ll be sure to hit Corkscrew and Wolverine Wildcat early on but my gut still says to hit Mad Mouse first (since I’d rather not wait more than 5-10 minutes for a Wild Mouse). I plan on going on a weekday so I’ll definitely consider the suggestion of spending half a day at the park and then visiting another local attraction.
Valleyfair Ride Operator
2016 - Wild Thing
2017 - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Cedar Point Ride Operator
2019 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Coasterguy21 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:50 am

grsupercity wrote:Also make sure to stop in downtown Grand Rapids. They have an amazing craft beer scene

As for the park. Unless you go on a Saturday the dry side shouldn't have crazy lines. Wildcat and Mad Mouse are the ones that really ever build up a crazy wait. Thunderhawk seemed to have some issues early in the season and kept having to go down to one train last year. If you are into waterparks they have a massive one. 3 wave pools, 2 kids areas, lazy river and lots of body, tube and family raft slides.

We plan on going opening weekend and will report any noticeable changes we spot and then give my usually yearly prediction for the next off season that is always wrong lol

I can't stress the first sentence enough. Depending on which way you plan to drive, the Beer Scene between Kalamazoo & Grand Rapids is just astounding. If you like beer, then stopping at one or two of these is recommended (in Downtown Kalamazoo, Bell's is the place to visit but then visit the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange which has been voted one of the best bars. Beer prices there reflect actual buying trends, so its just like the stock market. Founders is a must visit in Grand Rapids as well, the atmosphere is great and they have terrific beer)

I'm with Bill on the Dunes as well. Visiting anywhere along the Lakeshore is a plus. Michigan's Adventure isn't too far from Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon.

As for the park itself, the waterpark is fun. If you only plan on doing the ride side, then its a half day (just like everyone else said). The longest lines you'll see will be at Wolverine Wildcat and Corkscrew probably (one train operation on each). Shivering Timbers may have a line, but you'll still be able to get a few laps in on it (same with Thunderhawk, which is a smoother SLC than many out there). Mad Mouse is hit or miss with lines sometimes. Big Dipper and Zach's Zoomer, the two smaller coasters, would be the last two to hit to finish the coaster lineup (both run one train but usually wait times aren't too terrible for them. Zach's Zoomer is actually a pretty fun junior woodie).

In respects to flats, a lot of them are just your standard carnival type flats. Falling Star used to be my favorite flat there until the Gliders opened (and Falling Star has since been removed). Once you finish your coaster laps, maybe just a few of the flats would be appealing to you. If you want to do RipCord, you have that option. If you are interested in the water rides then you have Grand Rapids, Adventure Falls & Loggers Run. HydroBlaster is a fun waterslide type raft ride that's in the dry park and you don't really get too wet on it. But, at that point, you might as well hit the waterpark (which could get really busy).

If you stick with the rides, then yes, half-day and move on to the Dunes or something beach related.
This is my super lame signature where I will mention the words "roller coaster" and "theme park"

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:55 am

The park is like 7 minutes east of duck lake channel which is a really nice beach on lake Michigan. Its so close not to visit
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Parker821 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:40 pm

coasterbill wrote:
VF15 wrote:are there any other tips for a first time visitor?

Leave early and do this.

Honestly I like this park. I don't mean that as a dig, but unless you'rwe doing the waterpark it's not really a full day park. The dunes in Mears are amazing. Honestly, the Michigan western shore is one of the coolest places in America that nobody talks about.

I would even say do the dune rides or a local attraction in the morning then go to the park in the afternoon. The lines are the longest in the morning when the water park is not open. Once the water park opens lines for rides decrease. When the water park closes the lines get longer for an hour or so but after 8PM most families have left.
2017 Ride Operator - Mad Mouse/Shivering Timbers
2018 Ride Operator - Shivering Timbers
2019 Team Lead - Thunderhawk

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!