Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:42 am

CoasterAuditor wrote:I've always noted how easy it would be to cram Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Kings Island into one trip since they're all relatively close to each other. That would be a great trip especially when I've never been to any of the three.

I would do them in that order, too.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:56 am

It's very easy to do. We did that before and it was easy to combine Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World into one day (especially coming from the east with the time change), though on our next trip I'll be content to skip Holiday World and stick to the other two.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:04 pm

^Im not crazy into water parks but it would be hard to pass up a few hours in Splashin Safari with those water coasters.
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby KyKingdomMike » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:09 pm

The Media Day Event for Kentucky Flyer from 4-6pm EST is currently going on if anyone wants to watch.

https://www.facebook.com/kentuckykingdom/videos/408480146613659/

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:42 pm

^We have some TPR Representatives there, I'm sure they'll post soon!

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby KyKingdomMike » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:02 pm

SharkTums wrote:^We have some TPR Representatives there, I'm sure they'll post soon!

Awesome, can't wait for the Pictures and possibly Videos.

Kentucky Flyer Media Day 4/25/2019

Postby mikeykaise » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:18 pm

Friends, Coaster Geeks, and Donkeys lend me an ear….

Today I was recruited for a not so secret mission and out of a sense of duty I heartily reported for duty so with that here is the details from my test flight:

Operation: Open Sesame

Mission description: To test pilot the new Kentucky Flyer airplane and report on my findings of performance

Results: OMG! I don’t even know where to begin! I’ve been watching the construction closely and I was like well that will be a nice little family coaster and same as I finally walked up to the beautiful coaster that was to be my plane for the day. My first ever ride was in the front seat for the rider cam per orders of General Robb Alvey. The climb up the hill of 48 ft is quick and there’s a little drop into a very short straight section and then whooooooossshhhh!!!!! I was blown away when I pushed the stick forward and the drop took my breath away and I knew that KK had a winner on their hands!!!!! This thing took off big time and it did not let up. The ride is only 50 secs but omg my butt was barely in the seat the whole time and I was flying left and right and the head choppers towards the end after the turn made me pull my hands down in fear I was going to lose them. I was thinking to myself this can’t be just 50 mph and a family coaster, it felt like we were going 70. The pops of airtime and negative g’s is unbelievably awesome!!!! My second ride was in the very last row and again as I was dropping I was thinking what the heck, this ain’t no family coaster, whereas the front pulls you non-stop and there’s no letup the backseat has a nice little delay before each pop of airtime hits you, and by the time I got into the exit and got into line for a 3rd ride in the middle this time I was almost senseless from the intensiveness and the giddiness I was feeling. The middle is a lot like the front: fast, no letup, and pulls you through the hills and bunny hops with constant pops of airtime!

Overall impressions:
Pros: Where the heck do I even begin???? This ride is awesome as a family ride with a 38” height minimum so families will be able to ride together and coaster geeks will be happy with all the pops of air and the pacing of the ride. I call this a win-win-win. KK is going to have a hit and I think when the reputation of this ride gets out it will be help draw crowds along with the other 5 roller coasters that they have. I made sure to thank the Gravity Coaster people and Kentucky Kingdom’s staff how good of a roller coaster they have. I told Mark from KK that they have another hit on their hands!

Cons: I really don’t have any complaints but I guess if I had to pick something I would say that the entrance to the line is in a bad spot and might be hard to spot. The Que entrance is right in between the Craft Beer Garden pavilion and the Calypso water slides. The front part of the ride is somewhat easy to photograph and film but from the drop hill back to the turn will be hard to photograph and film with the way it goes along the water park.

My overall rating: 5 out of 5!

Time to kick the tires and light the fires because I feel the need, need for speed and enough of the cheesy movies lines and onto the pictures:
IMG_1192.JPEG
I have arrived for a mission that I've been recruited for.
IMG_1193.JPEG
oops no sign but I know for a fact that this is Kentucky Kingdom.
IMG_1195.JPEG
The line to pick up my assigned plane
IMG_1197.JPEG
wait! what! Lightning is being tested?? Could Lightning Run possibly be opening for us pilots too?
IMG_1201.JPEG
Looks like they are working on the main wave pool
IMG_1204.JPEG
new cabanas being built.
IMG_1210.JPEG
Nom! Nom! Nom!
IMG_1209.JPEG
this would put my body into shock!
IMG_1207.JPEG
yummmmmm!
IMG_1214.JPEG
The white macaroni and cheese was so good!!!
IMG_1212.JPEG
free beer samples for the win!!!!! I will be buying a pilsner this summer somewhere in the park!!!
IMG_1219.JPEG
The ribbon is cut and the engines are being warmed up for the pilots!
IMG_1223.JPEG
but first Louie!
Last edited by mikeykaise on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:49 pm.

Kentucky Flyer Media Day 4/25/2019 continued

Postby mikeykaise » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:41 pm

I'm suited up in my flight suit and I'm ready for my flight and I kicked the tires and lit the fires!
IMG_1224.JPEG
waiting on my plane to be brought to me
IMG_1225.JPEG
more waiting
IMG_1226.JPEG
red train
IMG_1227.JPEG
rest of red train
IMG_1228.JPEG
oops, I forgot to get a pic of blue train, I'm sorry I'm not Robb Alvey so sue me ok? lol
IMG_1234.JPEG
storage shed and station
IMG_1235.JPEG
lift hill
IMG_1236.JPEG
X marks the spot
IMG_1237.JPEG
Umbrella blocking the X, curses!!!
IMG_1238.JPEG
looking back at lift hill
IMG_1239.JPEG
turn around and you're literally flying at this point
IMG_1240.JPEG
hills
IMG_1241.JPEG
lift hill again
IMG_1242.JPEG
I was walking out of the park close to 6 pm and I saw LR being dispatched with riders, and it quickened my pace but I was shot down and needed a drink to put out these flames
IMG_1243.JPEG
They were training this season's LR crew. They have the coolest job ever!!!!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:14 pm

CoasterAuditor wrote:I've always noted how easy it would be to cram Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Kings Island into one trip since they're all relatively close to each other. That would be a great trip especially when I've never been to any of the three.

You can very easily. I did it last year. I did KI all 3 parks in 2 days actually. KI, then to KK which on a weekday we rode everything many many times and were done in a few hours, then off to HW. It was my first time to all 3 as well and it was a wonderful time. I would recommend it!

Oh and this ride looks superb. I know its a family coaster but looks to move quickly over those hills. And it looks physically fantastic, like an old school woodie. Love it
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Postby mikeykaise » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 pm

It definitely hauls butt, it's only about a min from the time the train errr plane leaves the station and hits the brake run. The signs along the que says 35 mph but I heard someone say something about being closer to 50.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!