TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

KD's log flume is open, and people were riding LeScoot at BGW last Sunday.

Chuck's always bringing that good news!

I believe I've read in prior reports that KD has an excellent flume.

It is excellent but its covered in spiders. You've been warned.

No big deal. I'll just pretend it's a Six Flags park and that they hadn't removed their Fright Fest themeing, yet.

So sad in seeing the deconstruction of Volcano. For a while I thought there was a SLIM Chance that The Lost World could have made a comeback, but looking at the deconstruction I realize that it's actually the opposite of slim chance - FAT Chance!

This will mark the fourth coaster in Kings Dominion that I will truly miss as it joins Galaxi, King Kobra, and Hypersonic XLC on my list. That is the mark of going forward in the amusement park world. Still I shall skip going to Kings Dominion this season. As for the next season . . . wait and see.

^Shockwave was an OK ride for me in the beginning, but I began to noticed that it was starting to become rough for me to ride later in life. Besides, I really don't miss that ride like I miss the four coasters on my list. If my wish was granted and I could ride the all the Kings Dominion defunct coasters one more time, I would ride Volcano, Galaxi, King Kobra, and Hypersonic XLC, but I would skip Shockwave. While I'm on the topic, other rides I miss would be The Lost World and Yogi's Cave ( before it transformed into Treasure Cave which was somewhat suitable, but it lacked the sparkle that Yogi's Cave had ).

Looks like metal detectors in the station in conjunction with the pouches will be the permanent solution to last year's cell phone issues.

I honestly think this the best way to do it. It allows me to keep my phone in line but also ensures that my phone is safe and that I don't get nailed in the face with somebody else's phone.

It'll be interesting to see if the pouch+metal detector combo is implemented on Steel Vengeance as well.

I believe King Kobra is technically the world's first launch coaster period, but I'm not 100% sure

You would be right, depending on what month it opened; according to RCDB, the following all opened in 1977:

No Month Given - Black Widow at SFNE (Arrow winch launch)

July 8th - Greased Lightnin' at CGA (Schwarzkopf weight-drop)

No Month Given - White Lightnin' at Carowinds (Schwarzkopf weight drop)

No Month Given - King Cobra (Schwarzkopf weight drop)

Looks like metal detectors in the station in conjunction with the pouches will be the permanent solution to last year's cell phone issues.

I honestly think this the best way to do it. It allows me to keep my phone in line but also ensures that my phone is safe and that I don't get nailed in the face with somebody else's phone.

It'll be interesting to see if the pouch+metal detector combo is implemented on Steel Vengeance as well.

Forgive me for asking the stupid/obvious question, but what stops some idiot -hole from removing said phone from the pouch during the ride, immediately dropping it into someone's face, and causing the park to have all riders shove everything they own into a locker again?

The fact that with RMCs restraints, unless your legs are twigs, there is no way to manipulate the zipper on the pouch once you've been secured in.

The fact that with RMCs restraints, unless your legs are twigs, there is no way to manipulate the zipper on the pouch once you've been secured in.

Yep--the pouch is down low and between your legs. You'd have to be a contortionist to reach it.

^ Same. Usually they open the gates so quickly and the next people are so excited to get on, I can barely get my seatbelt unbuckled before I have someone breathing down my neck to get in. Hopefully there will be plenty of reminders, and the ride ops will act as spotters to quickly let people know if they did.

I really wish parks would just push the zippered shorts option. I've been wearing zippered shorts to parks for 15 years now and I've never had to worry about a single loose article.

They could even sell some $15 athletic shorts w/ zipped pockets at the entrance gift store. It ain't rocket science. This new reality of extreme airtime (thanks RMC and Intamin!) and everyone needing an iPhone at all times has led to a need for some creative solutions.

I really wish parks would just push the zippered shorts option. I've been wearing zippered shorts to parks for 15 years now and I've never had to worry about a single loose article.

They could even sell some $15 athletic shorts w/ zipped pockets at the entrance gift store. It ain't rocket science. This new reality of extreme airtime (thanks RMC and Intamin!) and everyone needing an iPhone at all times has led to a need for some creative solutions.

This. A thousand million times this. There could at the very minimum be a zippered shorts or jacket exception. But parks will often simply cater to the lowest common denominator.

The problem parks have with that isn't the zipper magically unzipping and the phone flying out: the problem is people putting their phones in their pockets, and as soon as they're dispatched they whip their phones out and start filming, and then the phones fly out of their hands.

I've seen it happen several times (people filming on rides, not necessarily them losing their phone), once it was even the person sitting next to me on S:ROS @ SFA (luckily I was able to convince him that it wasn't worth the risk before the ride began).

"Pardon me, sir. May I check your pockets to see if you have functioning zippers?"

"Sorry, but your buttoned pants don't meet the zipper pants requirement. Feel free to purchase our $15 'Ride and Wear' pants package at the front desk, where Fastlane Plus is sold."

Yeah, sounds like a great idea.