TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

Curious question. Is the Coney Island Cyclone as large rider friendly as other wooden coasters are (I rode all the knoebels coasters in October). I am going to be in NYC in May and was considering checking out Luna Park or the Coney Island area in general just to see it.

Curious question. Is the Coney Island Cyclone as large rider friendly as other wooden coasters are (I rode all the knoebels coasters in October). I am going to be in NYC in May and was considering checking out Luna Park or the Coney Island area in general just to see it.

Ā 

Tall, wide, or both?

^^ You have a ton of clearance between your legs and the lap bar. It's a single position one. However, I remember larger riders finding it a bit uncomfortable when the bar pressed into their stomach.

Ā 

I haven't ever seen anyone denied though since the ops at Coney throw the bar down so quickly and forcefully they'll get it to close.

^^ You have a ton of clearance between your legs and the lap bar. It's a single position one. However, I remember larger riders finding it a bit uncomfortable when the bar pressed into their stomach.

Ā 

I haven't ever seen anyone denied though since the ops at Coney throw the bar down so quickly and forcefully they'll get it to close.

Ā 

I saw someone almost get the walk of shame once, but did the whole butt-back-chest-forward thing to get it to settle against his thighs.

• 1 month later...

Looks awesome! And I am assuming that slowly, eventually, each vehicle is "on the ground" for unload and load.

It will probably take as much time (maybe less?) to unload/load as it does for the regular old ferris wheel.

Ā 

And when I stopped the video in parts, when a vehicle was ground level, another was the same.

So with four arms, and two vehicles on each arm, it'll take four times to unload and load them. Easy!

Ā 

And I wish Playland(PNE) got one of these for the park.

Ā 

Check out Luna Park's new ride! This looks like a great replacement for Air Race.

Ā 

That's not the replacement for Air Race. Super Air Race is the replacement for Air Race. There's a picture of it on Antonio Zamperla Spa from 5/6: it's already been packed and is headed to NY.

Ā 

There's still all the stuff going in with the log flume too. They're putting in serious work there. I wonder if it has anything to do with Legoland?

^Has any progress been made on the log flume and other additions? I know they had mentioned that the adventure course was due in this year.

Ā 

I think it's been graded (honestly, I can't remember from my visit opening weekend) but I'm pretty sure that whole complex is a 2020 opening date. I'm excited about the other stuff going in there. Should be cool!

^Has any progress been made on the log flume and other additions? I know they had mentioned that the adventure course was due in this year.

Ā 

I tried to stop by two weeks ago after a softball game but I couldn't find anyplace to park. I'll try to stop by again on the night of May 22nd after my next softball game.

Ā 

Edit: I stopped by on Wednesday night May 22nd, and groundbreaking has not started for any of the 2019 additions.

Edited by larrygator

• 3 weeks later...

in Six Flags' defense, I think rides like the Zamperla Air Race intimidate many guests. I think many quests see all the directions of motion going on with the many plains and they don't think they have a strong enough stomach for it. I think the simple looping motion of the Larson Loops make the ride seem a lot more appealing to the general public. Plus they require less space. I mean, just look at the small amount of space that Discovery Kingdom, St. Louis, and America had to work with for those rides. But yeah, I do hope that Six Flags gets at least ONE of these new Air Races. I could totally see one going to La Ronde, Darien Lake, or maybe they could add it to parks that don't have a Wonder Woman themed ride and theme them like the Invisible Jet. Or I could see something like this going in a new Screampunk District area.

I truly think Zamperla using Coney Island as a testing ground of sorts fits perfectly with what the area was all about from an amusements perspective during its hay day. Seeing these super crazy and unique flats here really just feels right!

Clockworkz and Atlantic Aviator open at Luna Park. Atlantic Aviator is the latest Air Race model and replaces the original Air Race

Ā 

https://www.silive.com/news/2019/06/report-2-new-rides-open-at-coney-islands-luna-park.html

Ā 

Report: 2 new rides open at Coney Islandā€™s Luna Park

Today 3:06 PM By Annalise Knudson | aknudson@siadvance.com

Ā 

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Two new thrill rides opened at Coney Islandā€™s Luna Park on Sunday, according to a report by Time Out.

Ā 

At 11:30 a.m., Brooklynā€™s Luna Park hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the two rides, Clockworkz and Atlantic Aviator, according to the report.

Ā 

According to Time out, Clockworkz is dubbed as a ā€œfamily thrill ride."

Ā 

It is a 33-foot attraction that rotates on a vertical axis while its arms swing in circular motions at 13 revolutions per minute. Riders soar through the air as the clockā€™s arms move in opposite directions, the report said.

Ā 

Atlantic Aviator is a 51-foot attraction suited for older thrill-seekers. Riders will have an experience similar to acrobatic airplane flight courtesy of loops, dips and speeds of up to 25 revolutions per minute, Time Out reported.

Ā 

ā€œWith the celebration of a new summer season and a fresh beginning for two new rides, we are excited to grow and to continue to provide quality entertainment for the millions of visitors that come through every year,ā€ Alessandro Zamperla, president of Central Amusement International said in a statement, according to Time Out. "We look forward to embracing the legacy of Coney Island by bringing new and exhilarating attractions like Clockworkz and Atlantic Aviator to Luna Park.ā€

Ā 

Luna Park is also expanding for the 2019 and 2020 season, according to its website. Its expansion will include a new log flume ride, zip lines and a rope course that will be constructed on vacant land between Surf Avenue and the boardwalk.

Edited by larrygator