Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

P. 928 - Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Media Preview!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did my donkey title just change???

Re: Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

Postby Chiselphane » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:15 am

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:Of course, the only ones who have a problem with these policies are the smokers who don't care about anyone else breathing their disgusting smoke and the obnoxious a-holes that have no qualms about blocking pathways with their double-wide strollers.

My money is on the strollers being the bigger headache for the staff, particularly at the entry gates. You know there will still be parents trying to bring in their Winnebago-sized strollers and have a laundry list of why their kid NEEDS it and the entire trip will be RUINED without it.

The ice change is a little strange to me, particularly since I don't see a stated justification for it. I'd assume it's because people dump out the water once it's melted, or even the ice itself, because.... people.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby DBJ » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:02 am

Well in good news, they are bringing a new show to DCA, Mickey's Phillharmagic is coming to the Sunset Showcase theater! I think I would refer to is as an adaptation because of the limits of the theater. Good news to finally see an attraction back into the theater.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:16 am

Chiselphane wrote:The ice change is a little strange to me, particularly since I don't see a stated justification for it. I'd assume it's because people dump out the water once it's melted, or even the ice itself, because.... people.

the justification I heard for it (from a friend who works at DownTown Disney) was that it was due to security reasons.

more specifically, that it's difficult to check for contraband among loose ice in a timely manner. . that with ice packs only, it's much easier to look into the coolers, and move the lines thru.

he also said he believes (tho I didn't see that noted anywhere), that once thru the security gates and into the parks, one can go to several stores and ask for (purchase?), loose ice to then dump into the coolers. I guess that would KIND of make sense? similar to how one can't bring a liquid into TSA security gates, but can buy sodas/liquids within the airport.

just sharing what I heard. .
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:48 pm

DBJ wrote:Well in good news, they are bringing a new show to DCA, Mickey's Phillharmagic is coming to the Sunset Showcase theater! I think I would refer to is as an adaptation because of the limits of the theater. Good news to finally see an attraction back into the theater.

If it's the Paris single screen version, the best thing that can be said is that it's better than nothing.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Re: Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) DiscussionI'd say it Th

Postby SteVeUrkle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:34 am

I'd say it's probably worth it if you're willing to spend thousands of dollars to get all the advantages and perks with having a hotel room and early entry, maybe go for the VIP experience. But why any general public feels like they need to be there opening day, opening week, opening month, for Star Wars land and be a general public visitor is beyond me. The entire thing just screams disaster.

The crowds are going to be unbearable. Rides will have downtime. I imagine the 5 freeway Harbor exit will be absurd with traffic, and surrounding major roads are also going to be a headache for a while, not even for guests but people just trying to get to work. I think I recall getting in the park for free for an event a couple years back when I was around 10 years old, and good gawd it was not even worth the headache.

I'll probably wait a year or two before I even think about going.

But I'm so glad the park is generating an insane amount of notoriety from this installation. I can't remember the last time Disneyland was so hyped up for an attraction.
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Re: Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) DiscussionI'd say it Th

Postby firebird81 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:51 pm

SteVeUrkle wrote:I'd say it's probably worth it if you're willing to spend thousands of dollars to get all the advantages and perks with having a hotel room and early entry, maybe go for the VIP experience. But why any general public feels like they need to be there opening day, opening week, opening month, for Star Wars land and be a general public visitor is beyond me. The entire thing just screams disaster.

The crowds are going to be unbearable. Rides will have downtime. I imagine the 5 freeway Harbor exit will be absurd with traffic, and surrounding major roads are also going to be a headache for a while, not even for guests but people just trying to get to work. I think I recall getting in the park for free for an event a couple years back when I was around 10 years old, and good gawd it was not even worth the headache.

I'll probably wait a year or two before I even think about going.

But I'm so glad the park is generating an insane amount of notoriety from this installation. I can't remember the last time Disneyland was so hyped up for an attraction.

So, you think it'll be less crowded in a year or two? I don't see that happening at all. This is Star Wars we're talking about. I honestly don't think Disney even fully grasps what they've done here....especially if they deliver on providing the immersive experience they are going for....as far as IPs go, this is the royal flush. There's literally nothing bigger. Major changes in how that entire park operates are going to end up happening as a result of the onslaught of people headed their way for the foreseeable future. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:12 am

firebird81 wrote:Major changes in how that entire park operates are going to end up happening as a result of the onslaught of people headed their way for the foreseeable future. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Changes are already happening. Disneyland's Project Stardust has been an ongoing effort to widen pathways and eliminate pinch points, and apparently it's been working.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:07 pm

Disneyland will always be a mess unless they basically rebuild the whole park. It was built to 1955 standards and it’s all been patchwork since then. The park simply doesn’t have enough space to put everyone not waiting in a ride line.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby prospekt88 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:56 pm

I agree it's gonna be really interesting how this plays out. I can't understand why they thought this was a necessary move. Not only do I not see the need for this to be in Disneyland Park, I don't know why it needed to be the first one to open, adding even more to the hype. Maybe since it's such an iconic expansion they wanted it in the most iconic park, and they wanted it there first. But Disneyland really already walks a fine line between being the "happiest place on earth" and "most stressful clusterf*ck" on earth". Like people said above that starts before you even enter the property with the surrounding traffic. If I was them I would be pretty worried that the quality of the product is going to be overshadowed by the maddening crowds surrounding it. For me, no matter how impressive the land looks I can't get excited about actually going there. I'm really excited to read detailed reports and reviews from afar, but even as a SoCal resident for the next year I don't plan on getting over there myself in that time frame.

In Orlando on the other hand at least they were able to build an entire land in Grand Avenue to queue the masses. They added a skyliner, new bus stops, tram stations, baggage check, etc. They even built a new E-ticket in Mickey and Minnie's Railway to absorb some of the crowds. I'm sure it'll still be madness in Orlando but I think they should've let it play out there for a couple years before opening the flood gates at Disneyland. I really don't see how this addition doesn't negatively impact the rest of the Disneyland park experience over the next couple of years. And I don't care at all that they're messing with "Walt's park", that isn't my point.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:00 pm

firebird81 wrote:...as far as IPs go, this is the royal flush. There's literally nothing bigger.

Some others on this forum would disagree with you. Fortnite, anyone?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!