bert goes to Texas Theme Parks (mega thread)

8/2 SFFT visit. Riding the Joker for a Commercial shoot
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: bert goes to Texas Theme Parks (mega thread)

Postby bert425 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Went to the park yesterday, 3/24/19 and had a wonderful time.

figured it would be either slammed or dead, as it was the last day of "Spring Break" (they had been open daily the whole week).

started out overcast, and turned into a gorgeous day by about 3pm, but by then folks were already in the park or not. Ended up not being too crowded.

mostly will be photos this report, since I found a new spot to take pics from (under the flume near Lone Star Lil's exit), so got some interesting angles I'd not seen before.

I also made sure to get pics of the still nearly empty Bugs Whitewater Rapids queue, when walking thru. SO ODD that this, and Roadrunner Express are missing most of the Looney Tunes characters (that the rides are named after), tho the LT characters (including Pepe Le Pew, and Marvin Martian) were out and about in the park. so it's not a case of them phasing the characters out.

but here's what I posted yesterday in the SFFT thread:

bert425 wrote:took a visit to Fiesta today, and had a great time (Pepe LePew, and Marvin Martian were both out and about!).

I'll have a report up in the next couple of days, but some take-aways:

-- the fingerprint scanners are not being utilized at the front gates. they are now covered up with tarp, and they scan your Pass/membership with what looked like an iPad, then took a picture to tie face to the card.

I asked the staffer if they are no longer going to use fingerprints at all, and she said she thinks the scanners are going to be removed in the next few weeks. I asked if it was due to that "Mother didn't give consent for her child's fingerprint" lawsuit, and she said if she had to guess? that's the likely reason.

-- Chop Six is not open yet, but it looks like it's getting close. I suspect it will be open in the next week or so.

- apparently a change for 2019, but I JUST noticed it on this visit: Icees are now considered an option for "snack"
(so won't be standing in long A$$ lines at Johnny Rockets for shakes any more).

- they soft opened both the Train & Gully Washer, neither was planned to be back up until April from the maintenance
(I'm wondering if they opened those because Superman was down - was talking to a "Super"visor (LOL) at the ride entrance and he told me that it went down yesterday and they had fixed it but it was not opening today because they had to wait for an inspection. I told *him* Gully Washer was open, and he was surprised, but I showed him a pic I took of folks on it). Hurricane Force 5 was also down for some reason. With Hustler down for refurb, Whirlygig still in pieces for the retheme, and Joker not built yet?. . guess they needed to get more rides open ASAP)

everything else was operating.

(and the repaint on the Hustler "pool table" looks fantastic. no pool balls in sight, but the table, looked great.

anyways, on to pics:
IMG_6701.JPG
day is starting off a little overcast, but it seems to be keeping the crowds away
IMG_6760.JPG
new front gate operations - no fingerprint scanners anymore
cd8efd0d306146a1bcd65708d1c56130.jpg
"Six Flags Professional Pic". . and it came out. . not as good as the pics from my iPhone 8

too funny . .and he had a "real" camera.
IMG_6702.JPG
when it's this light crowd wise? Head to iron Rattler first, even if Goliath looked like it had almost no wait.
IMG_6703.JPG
yep. . pretty much a walk on.
GBMH3140.JPG
my 2nd time thru. . still was only station wait, but the design of the station is simply so bad, I don't understand why the Six Flags staff isn't THERE directing people, instead of two ramps down, holding the line prior to Flash Pass.

if you've not been in this station, the queue dumps out in the MIDDLE of the station. so anyone who wants to wait for Front or Back rows (which have extended queue you can get into once you're in the main station), tends to then block at this choke point, backing the line up, when there is plenty of space in any row.

Seriously, less than 2 minutes after this picture? I was on the coaster in row 2 (granted, sharing an open seat with someone, but still. .less than 2 minutes for front car).
9cadb0deab5a46619b46272bc359c7b9.jpg
but hey. . they finally got picture frames for IR! Not sure what the heck that tower thing is, as it's nothing liek the design of the ride. . but hey, a picture frame. (this is back row)
d1a41a7424984437b216db96faad9708.jpg
TWO PICTURE FRAME options! (so did one for each ride, this is 2nd row)

At least this frame looks like the actual ride.

still. .pretty good, from zero options to two options.
IMG_6705.JPG
holding camera over the fences for a peek at "Chop Six"

looks like it's just about ready, wont' surprise me if it opens next weekend.
IMG_6706.JPG
Gully Washer was up and running, which was a pleasant surprise, as the website noted it was down for maintenance and wasn't supposed to be up until April.

Not many takers when I walked by (I didn't want to ride it either), but by mid afternoon? it was pulling a healthy line.
IMG_6707.JPG
such a pretty park.
IMG_6708.JPG
hey there
IMG_6710.JPG
the Train was up and running too (yet another ride noted on the website as down for maintenance until April, but was up and running).

they were also running the little castaways teacups ride across from the Carousel. First time I've seen it staffed and running in a long, long time. (maybe because Hustler is down for refurb?)
IMG_6711.JPG
take the tunnel !!!
IMG_6712.JPG
IR doing it's thing, with that upcharge launched thing.

they were only charging $10 a person for both this, and $10 for the zipline over (the closed) Superman. Both of them had lines of customers when I passed by.
IMG_6713.JPG
IR cresting the hill
IMG_6714.JPG
Still overcast, but made for a nice pic of Skyscreamer
IMG_6715.JPG
I actually rode Zoom Jets. . LOL. . all the times I've been in this park, and I've never gotten on it.

it's fun, but it's Dumbo/Batwing/Jasmine's Carpets.

I also considered for a moment, riding the park's Roller Skater, as I've never been on it, and there was no line. But ultimately decided I'm not enough of a credit whore to care about it, so even tho it's neat in that it's built over water? I didn't bother.
IMG_6716.JPG
Zoom Jets sign
IMG_6717.JPG
Was getting hungry, but on the way, swung into Bug's White Water Rapids, to see if the Looney Tunes figures were back in the queue.

nope.

and the TVs weren't playing the Singing Sword cartoon either :( (in fact, they were all turned off)

used to be a Yosemite Sam as knight figure in this 1st room.
IMG_6718.JPG
Empty Throne.

Six Flags theming
IMG_6719.JPG
Empty corner
IMG_6720.JPG
well. .at least they kind of fixed this figure (last time I went thru, he was broken at the waist and leaning at an odd angle in a chair). looks like they simply propped him up
IMG_6721.JPG
sad, empty space for where Bugs should be fighting Sam
IMG_6722.JPG
Empty Jewelry room, TV off, and no figures.
IMG_6723.JPG
pretty much the only theming left in the ride queue (tho the course itself still has Bugs, Sam, the Dragon on it).
94e9ee797c254fe6804a89a04b070a09.jpg
and hey. . they fixed the camera!

(met these girls in line and we all rode together to get some weight in the log, so we'd get a bigger splash. . tho no one wanted the front row).
IMG_6758.JPG
oh. . Six Flags has updated the signage for Joker, to reflect "Carnival of Chaos"!
IMG_6727.JPG
my lunch (from the dining plan). . it was an overcooked Chimichanga & chips w/ queso. . the inside was good tho.
IMG_6728.JPG
Bugs and Marvin were out doing meet and greets.

wow. .that Marvin outfit is NOT forgiving. . .LOL
IMG_6730.JPG
of course, after eating, had to ride the Carousel
IMG_6731.JPG
surprisingly, some of the paint seems to be chipping already. . .still looks beautiful tho!
IMG_6732.JPG
and I got to ride on "my" white rabbit (with the two different colored eyes)
IMG_6733.JPG
also remembered this time to get a picture of the organ in the center of the Carousel
IMG_6734.JPG
pretty
IMG_6735.JPG
Construction seems to have started full tilt on the Joker: Carnival of Chaos.

they were starting to lay down the base/foundation supports
(pic over the construction fencing)
IMG_6736.JPG
slightly different angle
IMG_6737.JPG
From the front of the "ride" area
IMG_6738.JPG
virtually no movement on the Whirlygig retheme (which seems to still be getting called "Crime Wave" (but not "Gotham City Crime Wave").
IMG_6739.JPG
the Chassis is still sitting over by Batman queue, tho now there are weeds starting to grow thru it.
IMG_6740.JPG
ah, a smaller sign is also updated to reflect the "Carnival of Chaos" name
IMG_6741.JPG
but directly across from it is the giant billboard by the construction site -- that refers to it as "Joker's Wild Card"

oh. . .Six Flags. . you are so. . .. Six Flags
IMG_6742.JPG
No balls in sight, but the base of Hustler is looking fantastic.

this repaint was really needed, and very happy they are putting some $$ into the ride.
IMG_6725.JPG
Pepe & Sylvester were out!
IMG_6726.JPG
not the most flattering angle, but hey, it's Pepe Le Pew!
IMG_6743.JPG
I discovered this walkway behind the bumper cars that I'd never seen before. really liked some of the pics I could take from over here, and with the sun now out, was turning into a beautiful, if warm, day
IMG_6744.JPG
IMG_6746.JPG
the backside of water!

(wait. . wrong company)
IMG_6747.JPG
IMG_6748.JPG
IMG_6749.JPG
angle of Skyscreamer I'd not seen before
IMG_6750.JPG
same with Iron Rattler
IMG_6751.JPG
IMG_6752.JPG
even Boomerang looks good from over here
IMG_6754.JPG
see?
IMG_6755.JPG
eded7f4529114341bed80a82945e47e0.jpg
Wonder Woman. .and of course, ended up in the back seat (not that I minded)
4000729e5aa344299ad174757f54b4fb.jpg
IMG_6757.JPG
it was starting to get hot, so went ahead and hopped on the train for a lap of the park.
IMG_6756.JPG
whee. . . . train was pretty crowded, which was surprising, as most other rides had turned into Walk Ons
IMG_6759.JPG
for example: Goliath.

wasn't planning to ride, but on the way out, peeked over to see the line - and it was non-existent around 6pm.

I ended up getting front row to myself as walk on, so went for center to get a decent picture
00ce625cdc7f4fea8554422a24b4b3d1.jpg
and like Iron Rattler, Goliath is now offering two photo frames. . from the left. .
d0b80d460ff54102a9a6bf2cd04d2c67.jpg
and darker, but from the right
00ce625cdc7f4fea8554422a24b4b3d1-1.jpg
I was surprised to see two cameras when riding. .but it is rather cool.
d0b80d460ff54102a9a6bf2cd04d2c67-1.jpg
all alone, on Goliath. . front row. . .
9cadb0deab5a46619b46272bc359c7b9-1.jpg
Back row of IR, without the photo frame
94e9ee797c254fe6804a89a04b070a09-1.jpg
Bug's WhiteWater Rapids without the Photo frame
d1a41a7424984437b216db96faad9708-1.jpg
Iron Rattler row 2, no photo frame
eceda88a67ed4b2db862bef09a379cac.jpg
thanks for reading!

it was a fun afternoon.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Great shots of your afternoon, Bert! <sighs> Wishing Playland(PNE) was like THIS as a home park, heh.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby bert425 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:13 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:Great shots of your afternoon, Bert! <sighs> Wishing Playland(PNE) was like THIS as a home park, heh.

it looks like i'm photoshopped in, in the pics at the end.

LOL
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:15 pm

^ Isn't technology wonderful? :lol:

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:20 pm

Great report! Fiesta Texas is the shining example of what a Six Flags park can be.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:23 pm

^ This, and I would like to add Six Flags:Mexico, too. Whatta great SF park, that was. :airtime:

HA! Just realized the Mexico park and this one (and the other SF:Texas park) would make
a great (pardon) Six Flags:Tex-Mex Tour? :smile:

EDIT: Start in Arlington, fly to Mexico(City), then fly back to San Antonio. :airtime:

I have nothing to do, in 2020 or 2021.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Looks like you had a great time! Still bummed that I missed out on Wonder Woman by about a week, but just an excuse to come back at some point. Just got to come up with some other excuse to travel for work!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby bert425 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:00 pm

michaellynn4 wrote:Looks like you had a great time! Still bummed that I missed out on Wonder Woman by about a week, but just an excuse to come back at some point. Just got to come up with some other excuse to travel for work!

:nina:

you'll have Joker, Pirates, Refurbed Carousel, re-painted Hustler, and re-themed Swings as a reason to come back too :)

Postby bert425 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:45 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Great report! Fiesta Texas is the shining example of what a Six Flags park can be.

even with multiple rides out (and Superman closed all day), it was still a great visit.

they even have started putting in some of the live shows, before the "summer" daily openings.

I stopped in Los Festivales to watch part of the 80's "icons" band. They were pretty good, tho for someone performing Madonna, I was surprised to hear a song that was from the 2000's ("Hung Up") since she was dressed as 80's "boy toy" Madonna. . but I guess as long as she stayed in character. . .LOL

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Yeah, I don't really expect any Six Flags park to be at 100% this early in the season. And lol at Madonna.... Six Flags always seems to treat shows as an afterthought anyway, so I'm just impressed they got that much right.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!