TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Cool pictures, thanks for the update!

I was out at the Waterfront area on Saturday, and was able to catch a few glimpses of SC in the distance. The scale of this thing hadn't really hit me until I saw it from far away...that lift hill is pretty massive.

It's on the third level of the parking lot, which rarely opens. It has to be pretty insanely busy before they open it, to the point where I've been to the park on occasions when I literally can't find a single free parking spot but it's still not open. I guess that's their way to try and force people into paid parking?

With Steelers Country opening, I wouldn't be surprised to see in in use much more this year.

Just now seeing that the gate prices at Kennywood have sky rocketed (pun). I believe gate prices were around $44 last year tops. They are now $50 for weekdays, and $55 for weekends. You can still get them cheaper online and at Giant Eagle I assume. But that is a huge increase IMO. I know they've put loads of money into the park these past two years, so it isn't a complaint so much as an observation.

Also, I am a little uneasy still about how in your face this ride is around the lagoon and on the bridge. It just seems like a weird thing to look at when you compare it to the rest of the views (Jack Rabbit, Racer, Paratrooper, etc.). It is probably going to take some getting used to for me. But certainly, am still excited to give it a ride.

Just now seeing that the gate prices at Kennywood have sky rocketed (pun). I believe gate prices were around $44 last year tops. They are now $50 for weekdays, and $55 for weekends. You can still get them cheaper online and at Giant Eagle I assume. But that is a huge increase IMO. I know

I'm glad they still have the night rider admission as well.

Just now seeing that the gate prices at Kennywood have sky rocketed (pun). I believe gate prices were around $44 last year tops. They are now $50 for weekdays, and $55 for weekends. You can still get them cheaper online and at Giant Eagle I assume. But that is a huge increase IMO. I know they've put loads of money into the park these past two years, so it isn't a complaint so much as an observation.

Sounds like it was pretty cheap before now. I mean, this park has quite a few nice coasters. SFFT cost me over 90 bucks to get into for one day, and that was after paying $25 just to park. I know Kennywood wants to be affordable, but you have to move with the times eventually. They had to adjust their pay scale recently because they could keep the park staffed at the poverty wages they were giving before. Big new ride + properly paid staff = the ticket price should be closer to $70, IMO.

I would respectfully disagree that Kennywood should be charging $70. I agree the parking adds value to the park. The park has been steadily increasing prices IMO. $1-2/year adds up. I would bet that in 2010, gate prices were around $30. So to be at $55 in 10 years is quite an increase. Like I said, you can still find great deals (right now, you can get two tickets for $58). But, this was a sharp increase for one year, even considering the addition.

On my fan site in the revision history, the furthest back I can pull a price for is 2014 when gate prices were $40.99. $41.99 for 2015, $43.99 for 2016, $44.99 for 2017, and $48.99 for 2018.

I really think they're just trying to push everyone to get season passes.

Edit: I updated my site with this year's pricing... I think it's a little easier to compare all of the prices than on kennywood.com

https://www.kpconnection.com/park-information/

Epic. What a weird and cool looking ride this will be.

Any farther update/talk around town about possible opening? My return trip depends on it being open by June or not. Im gunna show horn KI instead. Playing chicken with myself on how long I should wait to book tix back and gamble on it being open or not

I see two sites reporting that several recently-installed pieces of track have since been removed from the top of Steel Curtain's big Drachen Fire dive/drop. I'm not sure if the sites are TPR-friendly to include the links, but they're easy enough to find.

Without a set opening date beyond the broad span of "this summer," my fingers stay crossed that the coaster is pulled off without trouble and is a great experience. Alterations and tweaks happen with new coasters, but no one wants a reason to doubt or be reminded of Gale Force's wearisome issues. Hopefully construction continues confidently. In S&S We Trust!

Yes I saw that as well. It seemed pretty confirmed. It happens, I get it. That said, an opening by June 9 seems highly unlikely (elsewhere someone seemed to think the park was now aiming for July, at earliest) so I am giving up my KW plans. Which is fine, I can go next year esp after hearing reviews. OR if itll be open late season (the site seems to indicate not all rides are open at later dates) I may just make a trip up there for it