TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Laughing at the people who now say “gee, NOW this really makes me want to visit BGT for the first time!” As if it wasn’t already one of the best parks in the world

THIS.

Yeah, this.

BGT continues to hold its place in my memory as one of my top parks, and its coaster collection always comes to mind as one of the best and highest-quality I've encountered. But as a (not that this is rare or special) big fan of Steel Vengeance, this new RMC is the icing, the cherry, the....[drools]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there! I'm thinking of traveling to BGT for their Halloween event. I've been to the park before (back when Shriekra was the latest, so it's been a while), but never for Halloween.

I know their Halloween event in a separate ticket, but about how much does it cost? And I imagine it's probably very crowded... do they sell a "fast pass" type ticket? And if so, is it good for haunt mazes only, or haunt mazes and rides? If not, do they sell sort of "day/night" combo ticket? Because we'd like to do the park rides as well as the mazes, but would rather not pay for two separate tickets in one day.

I'd check the site myself, but it's so early in their season, they don't have any info on that posted yet, so I thought I'd ask from advice here to get an idea.

They do sell Quick Queue with an option to use it for rides and haunts.

The last time we went there was no combo ticket (though I wouldn't be shocked if this has changed), but if you hold a day ticket and a night ticket you don't have to leave the park. You can go to the restaurant in Pantopia and get a wristband and stay in the park. They keep the rides that will be operating for Howl O Scream open (Generally all of the coasters except for Scorpion and Falcons Fury) and you can ride those while you wait for Howl O Scream to start. Sometimes there are delays as they transfer additional trains on for Howl O Scream.

Enjoy! It's a great event.

A sit-down coaster.

Lapbar restraints.

>90 degrees.

210 ft

W.

T.

F.

Mate.

You may not have been on many RMCs, Macks, or the new generation loopers, but once you get on them, you'll wonder why OSTRs were ever a thing in the first place. The restraints are much more freeing and comfortable, but they're just as secure as an OTSR is. With the way that you're sitting, there's no way you could ever get out. And considering the fact that the RMCs actually do have high risk elements, while most B&M coasters (other than the hypers) are just pure vertical G's, its even more head scratching as to why the non-hypers all have OTSRs.

I'm also not a huge hater on the comfort collars. The collars are unnecessary, yes, but they're not as bad as straight up classic, clunky OTSR's. So I think that Tigris should still give some good hangtime.

My favorite options at BGT Howl o Scream are either Fright Feast or VIP Guided, for what you get.

Vip Guided started last year at $99 for the lowest priced nights. It included 3 hours of guided front of line to the houses, included alcohol, and including the ticket itself. That's cheaper than just the express passes for Universal HHN most of the time.

Fright Feast is what I've gotten 4 years running. Last year it was $33 after taxes, you also need to buy HOS ticket. You can enter the park 1 hour prior to regular park closing (time to do the Safari train or a coaster), then you have an open buffet in Pantopia Grille for 1 hour, and a mini-performance of the Fiends Show. Then you get 1.5 hours of Front of the Line Access to every Haunted House, I was able to do 5 out of 6 houses twice during that timeframe, so basically zero wait for all of them. Honestly I think Fright Feast is the best value of anything I've ever purchased in a theme park. You can do almost the whole event in 2 hours and get food, then the rest of the night is extremely chill.

Edited by BlahBlahson

And considering the fact that the RMCs actually do have high risk elements, while most B&M coasters (other than the hypers) are just pure vertical G's, its even more head scratching as to why the non-hypers all have OTSRs.

It's not just about preventing people from "flying out" - in many cases, it's about keeping the riders' bodies in place and upright. If you were to ride Intimidator 305 without the vests, what condition would your back and neck be in when the ride was over? Or Olympia Looping, or the Edmonton Mindbender, with insanely-fast transitions to forces of over 5 Gs, without the shoulder bars? Or a ride where you hang over the edge, but without that vest or shoulder harness that your body can safely fall into?

I would argue that B&M coasters' heavy positive G forces are exactly what necessitates the use of their vest harnesses, for the above reason. And for the coasters that don't necessarily need them, why should B&M waste all of their resources developing a brand-new seat, restraint, and related mechanics when what they already have will do the job just fine?

Also, for B&M's existing coasters, like Kumba, Montu, and SheiKra, a conversion to a more modern, possibly free-bodied lap restraint is virtually impossible due to the need for more space per seat (since the bars stick out on either side, as opposed to being strictly forward then down, like a traditional shoulder harness).

I'm not saying you're wrong here, but a lap restraint on its own, overhead or otherwise, isn't always the correct solution. Rocky Mountain obviously knows how to design a coaster that is comfortable (or easy) enough in the positive-G sections to not have to worry about riders' bodies curling forward.

Edited by A.J.

My favorite options at BGT Howl o Scream are either Fright Feast or VIP Guided, for what you get.

Vip Guided started last year at $99 for the lowest priced nights. It included 3 hours of guided front of line to the houses, included alcohol, and including the ticket itself. That's cheaper than just the express passes for Universal HHN most of the time.

Fright Feast is what I've gotten 4 years running. Last year it was $33 after taxes, you also need to buy HOS ticket. You can enter the park 1 hour prior to regular park closing (time to do the Safari train or a coaster), then you have an open buffet in Pantopia Grille for 1 hour, and a mini-performance of the Fiends Show. Then you get 1.5 hours of Front of the Line Access to every Haunted House, I was able to do 5 out of 6 houses twice during that timeframe, so basically zero wait for all of them. Honestly I think Fright Feast is the best value of anything I've ever purchased in a theme park. You can do almost the whole event in 2 hours and get food, then the rest of the night is extremely chill.

That's some great advice! But I know I'd also want to do many of the rides (since I haven't been to this park since Shriekra)... and I'd imagine the ride lines are huge? Definitely want to also do Falcon's Fury, and CoasterBill was saying that's closed during Howl o Scream (Cheetah Hunt is also a must). Or is there a way to also add ride FoL?

No, Falcon's Fury is open for Howl O Scream (unless it's broken which I mean... probably). The ride lineup is generally all adult coasters (except for Scorpion) and Falcon's Fury. Everything else is usually closed except for U Banga Banga Bumper Cars where they usually do some zombie thing.

The ride lineup is generally all adult coasters (except for Scorpion)

Correction: Scorpion has been open the past two years I've been to the event. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it definitely has operated during HOS in the past and I wouldn't count it out.

Helpful hint. We do this and it works for us. Get the early entry. If you get there early enough you can get on the skyride and Scorpion before the "Shutdown" We didn't do the show/food in the big hall but instead chose to do a few rides with little or no wait. Head to the front of the park when the houses open as these will fill up fast and work towards the back of the park. You will be able to hit all the houses early with very little waits and then have time to ride all night long with very little waits. The ride lines later in the eve are very short as most people are going for the haunts. To me, I love riding the coasters at 1 or 2 in the morning with little waits as opposed to waiting in line for an hour for a house.

And considering the fact that the RMCs actually do have high risk elements, while most B&M coasters (other than the hypers) are just pure vertical G's, its even more head scratching as to why the non-hypers all have OTSRs.

It's not just about preventing people from "flying out" - in many cases, it's about keeping the riders' bodies in place and upright. If you were to ride Intimidator 305 without the vests, what condition would your back and neck be in when the ride was over? Or Olympia Looping, or the Edmonton Mindbender, with insanely-fast transitions to forces of over 5 Gs, without the shoulder bars? Or a ride where you hang over the edge, but without that vest or shoulder harness that your body can safely fall into?

I would argue that B&M coasters' heavy positive G forces are exactly what necessitates the use of their vest harnesses, for the above reason. And for the coasters that don't necessarily need them, why should B&M waste all of their resources developing a brand-new seat, restraint, and related mechanics when what they already have will do the job just fine?

Also, for B&M's existing coasters, like Kumba, Montu, and SheiKra, a conversion to a more modern, possibly free-bodied lap restraint is virtually impossible due to the need for more space per seat (since the bars stick out on either side, as opposed to being strictly forward then down, like a traditional shoulder harness).

I'm not saying you're wrong here, but a lap restraint on its own, overhead or otherwise, isn't always the correct solution. Rocky Mountain obviously knows how to design a coaster that is comfortable (or easy) enough in the positive-G sections to not have to worry about riders' bodies curling forward.

I realize, I don't buy it though. I think its just about insurance rates and perception.

I've ridden a ton of coasters with OTSR's, and every time I get off I always silently think to myself either:

1. That as a great/good/pretty good/etc. ride, but imgagine how much better it would be with lapbars.

2. That was a bad ride. But it may have been a little better with lapbars.

Never in my life have I gotten off a coaster with lapbars and wanted an OTSR. I think that the heavy duty RMC lapbars do a great job of keeping you in place, and there's no real value that an OTSR could add. Its not just personal preference and comfort, but many people with anxiety issues really get freaked out by being in massive obstructed harnesses as well. And there's the CTE issues that we're learning more and more about that headbanging can potentially cause (its not just a coaster enthusiast nitpick anymore).

The ride lineup is generally all adult coasters (except for Scorpion)

Correction: Scorpion has been open the past two years I've been to the event.

That's nice to hear. I never really understood why they kept closing it for the event (especially while keeping the mouse open).

I realize, I don't buy it though. I think its just about insurance rates and perception.

I've ridden a ton of coasters with OTSR's, and every time I get off I always silently think to myself either:

1. That as a great/good/pretty good/etc. ride, but imgagine how much better it would be with lapbars.

2. That was a bad ride. But it may have been a little better with lapbars.

Its not just personal preference and comfort, but many people with anxiety issues really get freaked out by being in massive obstructed harnesses as well. And there's the CTE issues that we're learning more and more about that headbanging can potentially cause (its not just a coaster enthusiast nitpick anymore).

Never have I've heard of a person being "freaked out" by a harness. If anything, its the opposite. I commonly hear about guests being frightened by lap bars only, even on B&M hypers. I still remember my friends being so shocked when Diamondback opened in 2009, "How are they're only lap bars!" They said

As for "CTE issues', the new vest restrainsts (not just for B&M, but Vekoma as well), make headbanging a thing of the past.

If you don't buy it, than how exactly would a lap bar keep your body in an upright seated position, on its own, during, say, Montu's batwing element? Even with a shoulder harness I can really feel the strain on my neck.

If you don't buy it, than how exactly would a lap bar keep your body in an upright seated position, on its own, during, say, Montu's batwing element? Even with a shoulder harness I can really feel the strain on my neck.

Coasters without floors might be an exception. Even then, I at least prefer a light comfort collar or something like that. I can see with T3 and Sky Rush that no floor and lapbars cause thigh crushing issues, and possibly other ones too. I think that having a floor gives your legs something to push down on when the going gets tough. But personally, I'd still take the open free feeling.

One thing with high positive G's people do sometimes pass out and ragdoll people on, for example, I305's twisties sounds like a really bad idea. Another is that I must admit my back feels great after a good B&M OTSR stapling.

One thing with high positive G's people do sometimes pass out and ragdoll people on, for example, I305's twisties sounds like a really bad idea. Another is that I must admit my back feels great after a good B&M OTSR stapling.

When I blacked out on Millennium Force my head was between my knees. It wasn't comfortable and with a ride that has more G forces it could be a major problem.

Another reason some rides should have OTSRs is if there are strong forward Gs that are found in elements like batwings. RMC coasters don't have very many forward Gs because all their inversions are rolls and not inversions that are exited vertically with the exception of Goliaths dive loop. Therefore no OTSRs are needed on their rides.

^ Yes CB at first it does seem insane to close a water ride in Floriduh in August, but, when they are doing this makes sense from the parks' POV. Schools are back in session here and the park is totally dead during that time. I mean really dead, as in the parking lot for disabled and premium passers is open to the general public. (or used to be) If you go at that time, it is a very odd experience as you feel like you have the entire park to yourself. It can actually be kind of spooky how dead it can be.