TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Okay, this has me stoked. Never been to Carowinds, but this, combined with Fury , has convinced me I need to plan a trip there. Never had much desire to make a special trip there before. The park has really upped their game in recent years.

Plus Afterburn is one of the best inverts!

Okay, this has me stoked. Never been to Carowinds, but this, combined with Fury , has convinced me I need to plan a trip there. Never had much desire to make a special trip there before. The park has really upped their game in recent years.

add Intmidator (a fun, and different version than the KD one), and Afterburn (a fantastic suspended coaster) to your list as well.

Freak accident at the park yesterday, as a maintenance worker lost his hand while inspecting wind seeker.

Worker's hand severed during ride inspection. I pray for this man, and hope he can recover from this.

[March 6, 2019] A contractor at the Carowinds theme park in Charlotte, N.C. was rushed to the hospital after severing his hand while inspecting a thrill ride ahead of the park’s reopening on March 23. At around 9:15am, the maintenance contractor, was checking a cable pulley inside the 'Windseeker' ride tower. Caleb Bryan was working at the base of the ride when he heard screaming and looked up to hear "my hand's cut off - it's bleeding everywhere, I'm scared, I need help real bad!’" A Carowinds official says the man was inspecting the Windseeker, a 301-foot-tall chair swing - the second tallest attraction at the park. “He had his hand on the pulley or something and the ride somehow got tripped and started pulling up and it caught his hand and it pulled it off or cut it off,” Bryan said. “He just kept saying ‘someone please hurry. I’m bleeding out.’”

Bryan says the worker was alone at the top of the ride. He was trapped for more than five minutes with his wound wrapped in a rag. “He was so high up, I think he started freaking out. I'm just glad he didn't pass out and bleed out.” Officials added that the contractor was rushed to the Carolinas Medical Center after being lowered to the ground.

Carowinds straddles the border of North and South Carolina. This ride is on the South Carolina side. The state agency that will inspect it before the park re-opens in a little over two weeks, saying: "This is a worker safety issue not a rider safety issue. The riding public would not be exposed to whatever hazard caused the worker to sustain a hand injury today. The ride passed inspection a year ago and the OSHA is on site investigating any violations that may have caused this incident. A report could take up to two months.

Story is from Amusement ride Accidents.

Link to the story on Facebook...

Am I being insensitive by wondering why there is so much media coverage on this? A firefighter died in our neighboring town during a structure fire, two days ago. There was far less coverage in the St. Louis area. I get that it happened at a theme park, but it must be a slow time for news.

Am I being insensitive by wondering why there is so much media coverage on this? A firefighter died in our neighboring town during a structure fire, two days ago. There was far less coverage in the St. Louis area. I get that it happened at a theme park, but it must be a slow time for news.

This is probably because this sort of a accident is quite a bit more rare than things like firefighter deaths, or at least most people are less used to hearing about this type of accident. While this is nowhere near as tragic as a firefighter death (not that this incident isn't awful in its own right), the media likes to report on what they believe the public sees as more uncommon, shocking, theatrical, and/or interesting.

This I believe is the same reason that every tiny aviation incident gets over sensationalized while car accidents (which pose far more of an actual threat to safety) often get little more attention than what is needed for the traffic report.

Yes. I understand how the media works. I was just trying to express that this seems even more ridiculously covered than normal. It's an injured hand.

Also just FYI... Firefighter deaths aren't really common.

Copperhead Strike IPA: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/08/carowinds-popular-charlotte-brewery-collaborate-on.html

I personally think Sycamore's IPAs are all too malty for my taste, but this is a pretty cool tie-in. It will be on-tap at Carowinds.

Cedar Fair does a great job on picking the breweries they work with. I'm a fan of all the collabs they have put out.

So I live 40 minutes outside the beer capital of the world Grand Rapids. I have tasted lots and lots of craft beers. Cabarrus Brewing company in Concord outside of Charlotte holds its own with them. They would of had my vote

I admittedly laughed too much at this. My girlfriend is a bartender and sent me this text earlier today.

Sorry to tell you, she's not the one.

Bummer about the worker who lost his hand. It didn't really say if they retrieved the hand and I have no medical expertise so I have no idea if they'd be able to reattach it after that or not,

Also, that Copperhead Strike POV is amazing! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait until I can get a chance to ride it. Looks like fun and I have no idea who would think it doesn't.