TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

^ Um....weren't/aren't they all steel coasters?

Otherwise, I do not understand the reference.

Only 3 B&M's have since been replaced within their original park. Iron Wolf was replaced with Goliath, Chang is being replaced by Kentucky Flyer (sorta), and Dueling Dragons is being replaced by the unnamed Harry Potter Intamin LSM coaster.

None of the other relocated or defunct B&M's have been replaced by another coaster.

Since Goliath and Kentucky Flyer are wood coasters, This makes Dueling Dragons the first B&M to be replaced by a steel coaster.

The Universal Orlando Resort has sent us a press release announcing that The TODAY Cafe will open at Universal Studios Florida later this year! The new dining option replaces the former Beverly Hills Boulangerie at the entrance of the park.

today_cafe_new_main_214b75f2652f01cbf24b5a855c8fd6bb.fit-760w.jpg.91b8962ae3acd26c5d33b94632db0350.jpg

The TODAY Cafe will soon make its way to Universal Orlando Resort’s neck of the woods. The cafe will bring together a highly-themed environment designed to feel like stepping onto the iconic TODAY show set along with specialty food and beverage options.

NBC’s TODAY informs, entertains, inspires and sets the agenda each morning for Americans. Now, guests of Universal Orlando will have the chance to start their day with America’s number-one morning show and be part of the Studio 1A experience every time they visit. Guests can step into the stage-lit set inspired by the show and catch up on top headlines from TODAY’s live broadcast, all while refueling for more theme park thrills.

The Universal Creative team behind world-class attractions and Universal’s award-winning culinary team are partnering closely with TODAY. The anchors of the show, Savannah Guthrie, Hoda Kotb, Al Roker, Carson Daly, Craig Melvin, Kathie Lee Gifford, Sheinelle Jones, Dylan Dreyer, Willie Geist and others, helped to inspire the one-of-a-kind experience that can only be found at Universal Studios Florida.

One of the standout features of the TODAY Cafe menu will be seasonal dishes inspired by co-anchor Al Roker’s favorite recipes. Every day menu options will include fresh, in-house baked pastries, salads, sandwiches and specialty, locally-roasted coffees including a unique blend made exclusively for the TODAY Cafe. Guests can grab items on-the-go, or enjoy their meal any time of the day at seating both inside and outside in an area designed to look like the TODAY Plaza.

The TODAY Cafe will offer specialty breakfast options like avocado toast and an organic acai bowl to New York-inspired sandwiches and salads. Top highlights include a new twist on a classic Italian sandwich piled high with porchetta, spicy capicola, provolone, roasted tomato, arugula, basil aioli on a crunchy baguette, and an Asian-inspired chicken salad that will combine baby arugula, cabbage, radicchio, shitake mushrooms, daikon sprouts, wasabi cashews and soy peanut vinaigrette. Additionally, in tribute to a long running tradition in Kathie Lee and Hoda's hour of TODAY, guests can enjoy wine and beer on tap with a delicious cheese platter for two.

The TODAY Cafe will be located at Universal Studios Florida, just inside the iconic arches and across the street from the Universal Studios Store – a prime location to grab breakfast, lunch or a snack before or after enjoying world-class attractions and entertainment throughout the day.

Universal Orlando’s culinary team continues to take dining experiences to the next level by creating highly-themed environments to tell unique stories through food. From award-winning restaurants to magnificently-themed eateries, there is something for every member of the family at one of the destination’s three theme parks, Universal CityWalk and resort hotels. For more information, visit http://www.UniversalOrlando.com.

806961733_Asian-InspiredChickenSalad-TODAYCafe.thumb.jpg.91be8a72d24bbd4b6da8385a765795a1.jpg

2132017776_AvocadoToast-TODAYCafe.thumb.jpg.bbde38dd1bec5389043cdd19dd874abb.jpg

438754009_CheesePlatter-TODAYCafe.thumb.jpg.e8b3fd90c8f5f2b7b91b67da34594ca6.jpg

1016697044_ExclusiveTODAYCafeCoffeeBlend-TODAYCafe.thumb.jpg.a638140749ced95493ac2aadea43bbae.jpg

185840437_ItalianSandwich-TODAYCafe.thumb.jpg.ccfa6cd6063f930f1841e0f1ab6bcebd.jpg

258538041_OrganicAcaiBowl-TODAYCafe.thumb.jpg.3e10991c68f010cab32267f3da2df0f3.jpg

1028135416_Pastries-TODAYCafe.thumb.jpg.d48d09cc1f7c17e3a6982e73107c2e03.jpg

626050337_VeganSandwich-TODAYCafe.thumb.jpg.b4f919e5856d273f5823b2cbd80d7492.jpg

While I will miss the former Beverly Hills Boulangerie (as it is basically the driving force behind me starting a cheesecake business) the new offerings at this place seems to be top notch and I welcome it! Can't wait to try it.

^ Um....weren't/aren't they all steel coasters?

Otherwise, I do not understand the reference.

Only 3 B&M's have since been replaced within their original park. Iron Wolf was replaced with Goliath, Chang is being replaced by Kentucky Flyer (sorta), and Dueling Dragons is being replaced by the unnamed Harry Potter Intamin LSM coaster.

None of the other relocated or defunct B&M's have been replaced by another coaster.

Since Goliath and Kentucky Flyer are wood coasters, This makes Dueling Dragons the first B&M to be replaced by a steel coaster.

Unnamed? Hagrids Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a suspicion that most guests who are visiting the parks for all the rides will just refer to it as ‘the motorcycle coaster’ or something along those lines and even most potter fans will probably say something along the lines of ‘The Hagrid ride’ or something similar.

I see hardcore theme park enthusiasts insisting on using its full name more than even Harry Potter fans actually.

A few Halloween Horror Nights questions:

(1) You cannot just buy admission to HHN right? It's a ticket to Universal Studios Florida (not IOA or Volano Bay) and then a separate fee?

(2) Assume Friday and Saturday are busiest days, how do Sundays tend to be? Is it recommended to get an Express Pass on a Sunday assuming I want to see ~5 attractions?

(3) Related to crowds, how well do they do with controlling the crowds in the scare experiences? I went to a similar Halloween attraction a few years back and it wasn't all that effective / enticing given they had so many people walking through at once. I obviously get the tradeoff that if fewer people go through the attractions at once, lines are longer.

I just saw Fantastic Beasts 2: crimes of Jonny Depp and it was ok... which is probably how I feel about most Harry Potter films but this one was more meh than most but I kind of realized, it's interesting this brand new ride isn't themed to this part of the franchise at all. Harry Potter isn't going anywhere, anytime soon but I find it interesting that even though this is movie 2 of 5 even this new ride is focused on a finished part of the franchise.

I mean when was the last time a park ignored a currently ongoing series for an old one. The original Star Wars is huge but Galaxy's Edge is focused on the sequel trilogy, it makes me wonder how much faith there is in the Fantastic Beasts series.

(1) You cannot just buy admission to HHN right? It's a ticket to Universal Studios Florida (not IOA or Volano Bay) and then a separate fee?

(2) Assume Friday and Saturday are busiest days, how do Sundays tend to be? Is it recommended to get an Express Pass on a Sunday assuming I want to see ~5 attractions?

(3) Related to crowds, how well do they do with controlling the crowds in the scare experiences? I went to a similar Halloween attraction a few years back and it wasn't all that effective / enticing given they had so many people walking through at once. I obviously get the tradeoff that if fewer people go through the attractions at once, lines are longer.

1) You can just get a ticket to HHN without a daytime ticket. The advantage to having a daytime ticket is you can stay in a "holding area" during the transition inside the park and get first dibs on some of the houses.

2) Honestly now a days any day is a busy day, but I'll let someone else speak to that. They have certain tickets that are good certain days and certain lengths of time for the locals and they flood the park any chance they have with their "season pass" of sorts. One ticket is good for unlimited visits the first few weeks, the other is good for unlimited visits certain days off the week. I haven't looked at this years options so this may have changed.

3) Unfortunately it's one big conga line, which really limits the scares. They don't let in small groups due to the sheer crowds and moving as many people as they can through at one time as possible.

I have a suspicion that most guests who are visiting the parks for all the rides will just refer to it as ‘the motorcycle coaster’ or something along those lines and even most potter fans will probably say something along the lines of ‘The Hagrid ride’ or something similar.

I can corroborate this, most of the people I have overheard talking about those attractions casually have always referred to them as "Harry Potter World / Land" and "The Harry Potter Ride" and "The Gringotts Ride". Diagon Alley is the only attraction I consistently hear people refer to by name, for obvious reasons.

1) You can just get a ticket to HHN without a daytime ticket. The advantage to having a daytime ticket is you can stay in a "holding area" during the transition inside the park and get first dibs on some of the houses.

2) Honestly now a days any day is a busy day, but I'll let someone else speak to that. They have certain tickets that are good certain days and certain lengths of time for the locals and they flood the park any chance they have with their "season pass" of sorts. One ticket is good for unlimited visits the first few weeks, the other is good for unlimited visits certain days off the week. I haven't looked at this years options so this may have changed.

3) Unfortunately it's one big conga line, which really limits the scares. They don't let in small groups due to the sheer crowds and moving as many people as they can through at one time as possible.

Thanks! Very helpful.

Thank you! Very helpful.

As other have stated you can get just admission. If you're gonna be there for more than one day and depending on when you are coming, I would recommend one of the multi-visit pass. For instance, the rush of fear pass generally cost the price of one night and it is for every night the first few weeks.

I haven't brought express in a while, however, I am always in the park and tend to get in at least 2 mazes before they even open the gate for those waiting outside of it. If you have the option of multiple visits, I wouldn't bother with express.

They try to "pulse" you through but it never works because half way in the house you will meet up with a slow moving to stand still conga line.

I would say when the houses are announced, kinda pick out the top ones you wanna see for sure and hit them up first.

^ Literally never works to the point that I don’t think they even try to send groups through. Every house I’ve been in at Universal has been a 100% unbroken line through the entire maze. Honestly makes it so that legit scares are basically nonexistent.

In my experiences, if there really isn't a huge line (the beginning and end of the night) they do have breaks in flow and wait until the group has cleared the door and send more in. I have experience this at both hollywood and orlando.

This is the only time I can think of where people aren't happy with a B&M being replaced by an Intamin. I'm curious to see how this turns out though. Hopefully its really well themed and the ride is a decent length.

This might have something to do with the fact that this is the only time a B&M has been replaced by an Intamin.

EDIT: Just checked RCDB. This is actually one of only 2-3 times a coaster has replaced a B&M period, the other two being Iron Wolf and maybe Chang (not sure where in KK Chang was, so IDK if a coaster has "replaced" it).

I dare you to take this challenge one day...

While at the park, walk up to 1,000 people and ask them if they know what "B&M" or "Intamin" means. I'm willing to bet you'll get ZERO people who have any idea what you are talking about. Probably most casual theme park fans wouldn't even know either. So outside of some die-hard roller coaster fandom....

giphy.gif

My thoughts on HHN is that if you are going for one single night and you don't have express, you just end up going from sizable line to sizable line (which is not great, and if you only see houses one time you will miss things due to the conga line scares) or you have to miss houses. This goes for basically any night past the first two weekends. I think the event is much more fun committing to a second night and doubling your time from 7 hours to 14 to see it.

I too cannot remember ever seeing pulsing guests happen at HHN, including owning a multiple night ticket for the last 5 years and actually working a house 1 year. Definitely have seen it Howl o Scream (and other local haunts), which I think is the better "I only have 1 night and I've never done a haunt before" event.

The Universal Orlando Resort has sent us a press release announcing the upcoming projection experience "Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle" at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade.

960178832_DarkArts-WWoHPatUniversalStudios.thumb.jpg.60d5f726f59c728efef922d6e2f8ddaa.jpg

Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort invite guests to experience an exciting new dimension of sorcery at “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” with the introduction of the “Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle,” a powerful, original and breathtaking projection experience.

The “Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle” will illuminate Hogwarts castle and “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” nightly from April 13 – 28 at Universal Studios Hollywood then return from May 25 – 27.

Universal Orlando Resort’s experience will debut later this year with dates to be announced at a later time.

This exciting all-new experience in “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” will cast a mesmerizing display of light, music and special effects, unleashing the darkest creatures and villains, including the powerful Dark wizard Lord Voldemort.

Illuminating a darker side of the Wizarding World, this spectacular new light projection experience will be a departure from previous “The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle” and “The Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts Castle.” “Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle” will bring more intense tones and drama that reflect the Dark creatures and wizards that challenge goodness in the Wizarding World.

Guests will be asked to summon their inner strength and bravery in the face of the all-consuming Dark Arts as some of the awe-inspiring moments and creatures inspired by the films come to life within the majestic light display.

As darkness falls on Hogwarts castle, Dementors™, Death Eaters and other unspeakable creatures from Aragog and Mountain Trolls to Thestrals will cloak the castle with sinister images from the darker side of magic—even conjuring the visage of Lord Voldemort™ himself, until the Patronus spell—one of the most famous, difficult and powerful defense of the Dark Arts charms in the wizarding world—is cast.

The “Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle” will be accompanied by an exclusive musical arrangement that will emanate in a surround sound environment. It was conducted by prolific arranger William Ross and recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra in London, based on the original scores composed for the film series created by Academy Award®-winning composer John Williams.

Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters that were brought to life in the Warner Bros. films, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort is a masterful recreation, faithful to the visual landscape of the fiction and films, including as its iconic focal point, Hogwarts castle.

From its snow-capped roofs and cobblestone streets to the historic British sensibilities that characterize the whimsical look and feel of the land, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” transports guests of all ages to the very places they watched on the silver screen.

With so much to see and do at Universal Studios Hollywood, the all-new 2019 Season Pass invites guests to experience the fun throughout the year for $149 when purchased online. Blackout dates and restrictions apply. Visit http://www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com for more details.

At Universal Orlando, guests can take advantage of an unprecedented offer featuring up to six months free on any Universal Orlando Annual Pass if purchased before April 4, 2019. Click here for more details about Annual and Seasonal Pass options.

I just saw Fantastic Beasts 2: crimes of Jonny Depp and it was ok... which is probably how I feel about most Harry Potter films but this one was more meh than most but I kind of realized, it's interesting this brand new ride isn't themed to this part of the franchise at all. Harry Potter isn't going anywhere, anytime soon but I find it interesting that even though this is movie 2 of 5 even this new ride is focused on a finished part of the franchise.

I mean when was the last time a park ignored a currently ongoing series for an old one. The original Star Wars is huge but Galaxy's Edge is focused on the sequel trilogy, it makes me wonder how much faith there is in the Fantastic Beasts series.

Being a very big HP fan and knowing others as well, general consensus is: First FB was OK at best until the Depp reveal (audible groaning of dismay in theater) which killed much interest in any sequels. I think it's a tryhard attempt to catch the spark (and the cash flow) of the original series that was doomed to fail from the beginning, even Rowling herself can't seem to recapture it (Cursed Child read more like amateur fan-fiction than a canonical addition to the lore). So from having a vested interest in the IP I'm glad they're not pivoting to a Fantastic Beast focus. They've got some merch from it in the stores and that's good enough for me; additional beasts in the pet shop is a perfect fit for example.

What would have probably worked better is to make a movie about Fantastic Beasts be about.... pretty much just the beasts! But no, they got too greedy for that sweet sweet franchise cash. This could have translated to a HP park pretty well too, kind of like a magical version of Animal Kingdom, something along those lines. Ah well.

Hey everyone,

So as some of you know, I'm visiting Universal Orlando (both parks) on Wednesday the 27th, and I need advice! I'll be staying the whole day from open to late in the evening (7:00-8:00 I'll be leaving), so keep that in mind when responding. Because this is part of a school trip, I can't add any more days, unfortunately.

1. What is the best order to hit up the rides and attractions? Must rides for me at IOA are Hulk, Spiderman, Jurassic Park, Kong and Forbidden Journey. Must rides for me at USF are the four coasters (I only have 1/4 credits), plus Transformers, maybe Jimmy Fallon, Men In Black, Simpsons, and maybe Fast and the Furious. This question is CRITICAL because I only have one day here, and I'd really like the best advice possible.

2. What are the best restaurants for lunch and dinner? (best snacks in the park would be a nice bonus too )

3. "Magic" seats or the best rows/seats on coasters? I love trying multiple seats for the best possible ride so I always ask those questions when trip planning.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

So as some of you know, I'm visiting Universal Orlando (both parks) on Wednesday the 27th, and I need advice! I'll be staying the whole day from open to late in the evening (7:00-8:00 I'll be leaving), so keep that in mind when responding. Because this is part of a school trip, I can't add any more days, unfortunately.

1. What is the best order to hit up the rides and attractions? Must rides for me at IOA are Hulk, Spiderman, Jurassic Park, Kong and Forbidden Journey. Must rides for me at USF are the four coasters (I only have 1/4 credits), plus Transformers, maybe Jimmy Fallon, Men In Black, Simpsons, and maybe Fast and the Furious. This question is CRITICAL because I only have one day here, and I'd really like the best advice possible.

2. What are the best restaurants for lunch and dinner? (best snacks in the park would be a nice bonus too )

3. "Magic" seats or the best rows/seats on coasters? I love trying multiple seats for the best possible ride so I always ask those questions when trip planning.

Thanks!

1. So the day you are going to is listed as a 9/10 on Undercover Tourist Crowd Calendar, and Early Park Admission is at Universal. That will force some long waits for a few of these attractions as it's not feasible to hit all the heavy lines in the early morning. The highest average waits at Universal Parks are for Kong/Gringott's, Hulk, Rockit/Despicable Me in that order.

What I would do if I was down for a ton of walking to start my day: Arrive well before open, go into to Universal Studios side asap and only ride Rip Ride Rockit. Leave and go to IOA, Hit Hulk through Single Rider, then straight to Kong through Single Rider. Then backtrack to Spiderman Single Rider, then Jurassic Park Single rider, then Forbidden Journey Single Rider. This should all take less than 2 hours even on a busy day. The rest of the day you have single rider available at Mummy, MIB, Transformers, and Gringott's, Jimmy Fallon and F&F you can book through UO App, the others just find a good time to ride or wait it out.

What I would do if I was down for less walking or didn't arrive until 9AM-Start just at IOA instead, literally just hit the park in a circle from the left, do the rides in order as long as you get to Kong before 10AM or it's posting over 30 minutes on UO app. You can usually power through the headliners of Islands in 2-3 hours even if it's real busy.

2. You should eat Lunch at Three Broomsticks or Leaky Cauldron, even though these can be busy (avoid noon-130). The theming is amazing, the food is not cheap, but it's quality. Simpson's Fast Food Alley has great variety. Florean Fontescue's has the best ice cream.

3. Single Rider Lines give you no choice on seats, you can request in regular queues however. But there are no magic seats on the UO Coasters really anyways. Rockit is usually much rougher in the back (but a couple pops of air), Hulk is more exciting in the Front seat or the Rear of train. Personally I find all UO's coasters to be Front Seat rides.

Have Fun!