TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay kicked off their 60th Anniversary Celebration with the announcement that a new RMC steel/wood hybrid coaster built upon elements from the former Gwazi coaster will debut in 2020! This new coaster will become North America’s tallest hybrid, and the fastest, steepest hybrid coaster in the world!

521725764_BUSCHGARDENSTAMPABAY2020KEYVISUAL.thumb.jpg.c7f0308bdc281d8d7a6d164299ff4f78.jpg

Celebrating six decades of unforgettable experiences, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay shares even more exciting news with park guests during the 60th Anniversary Celebration Kickoff this evening. In addition to debuting a new menu for the 2019 Food & Wine Festival and the launch of the all-new Pin Trading program, the park reveals more details for upcoming attractions including Tigris, Florida’s tallest launch coaster, and a new attraction coming in 2020.

Opening on March 16, the Food & Wine Festival returns with an exciting new menu, featuring more than 35 dishes inspired by regional cuisine around the country. Guests can sample over 100 wines, craft brews and specialty cocktails while enjoying world-class concerts of all tastes, including Daughtry, Justin Moore, El Gran Combo, Boyz II Men, Foreigner and more! The park recently announced a NEW performance for Stone Temple Pilots on Saturday, April 6. The full menu and line-up, including VIP packages, can be found online at BuschGardensTampa.com.

Also as part of the park’s 60th Anniversary, Busch Gardens launches a NEW Pin Trading program today. With more than 150 pins now available in the park, guests can begin collecting and trading the pocket-sized souvenirs. From fan-favorite animals, attractions, and events to exclusive collections not sold in stores, guests can trade pins with employees as they explore the park.

Excitement is building with the eagerly anticipated spring opening of Tigris, Florida’s tallest launch coaster. With the recent arrival of the ride vehicles, testing for the new attraction will begin soon to prepare for opening day this spring.

“We’re moving quickly to open our ninth roller coaster, Tigris, with a tenth coaster already underway for next year,” said Stewart Clark, President of Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and Adventure Island. “This cadence of back-to-back new attractions is unprecedented for our park, and continues our legacy as Florida’s thrill ride leader.”

The buzz continues with more history in the making at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, as construction begins on a NEW hybrid coaster arriving in 2020. When it opens next year, the ride will become North America’s tallest hybrid, and the fastest, steepest hybrid coaster in the world.

Manufactured by Rocky Mountain Construction, the newest addition at Busch Gardens will be a wood and steel hybrid coaster design, featuring a maximum height of more than 200 feet tall. The ride will feature all-new thrill elements, as well as restored elements of Gwazi. Coaster enthusiasts can follow the progress of Tigris and the new 2020 attraction through the park’s social media channels and using #TakeOnTigris and #2020Rising.

Be the first to know about new events, special deals and future announcements by following Busch Gardens Tampa Bay’s blog and social media channels on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Best Way to Play

MORE VALUE, MORE OPTIONS WITH ANNUAL PASS - Pick your way to play in 2019 with a Busch Gardens Annual Pass, starting at $10.99 a month for Florida Residents. Guests can select from four pass levels for the benefits they want most – including FREE parking, discounts on merchandise and food, as well as animal encounters – to gear up for a calendar full of special events plus EXCLUSIVE pass member ride time for the opening of Tigris, coming in 2019. Add more parks – Get a 4-park pass to Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, SeaWorld and Aquatica, starting at just $15.99 a month.

FREE Preschool Card- Kids 5 and younger can enjoy FREE admission to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and Adventure Island throughout all of 2019 with the Preschool Card. There’s never been a cooler time to be a kid! Florida residents only, other conditions apply, visit BuschGardensTampa.com to register.

1265739495_BGTBTigrisCaronTrack.thumb.jpg.594775ac4acd0f5eb653b1db950ea419.jpg

43799333_BGTBTigrisConcept.thumb.jpg.06a41b6baf6d3b5408b802a4642a2e0f.jpg

1878072989_BGTBTigrisReverse.thumb.jpg.dee6e09ee2636508d597b9a6ab78d750.jpg

1351232666_BGTBTigrisTrackComplete.thumb.jpg.4bdc498c0e29c99a3f5a77d0cdfe67d8.jpg

785125808_BGTB_PINTRADING_1.thumb.jpg.3b50228a1635509fde64ea428f0dd638.jpg

1168459223_BGTB_PINTRADING_2.thumb.jpg.539faa4fe6e6cf5e7bafacf73f11b9f4.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Perhaps Zadra? According to RCDB’s it’s about the same size as SV, perhaps a bit shorter, but Zadra’s announcement was a while ago, and it’s possible it may have changed. It’s also possible that there’s another hybrid in the works yet to be announced that will take the world record.

It’s also possible that there’s another hybrid in the works yet to be announced that will take the world record.
It’s also possible that there’s another hybrid in the works yet to be announced that will take the world record.

giphy.gif

Yep. I think this solidifies our plan to finally visit the Florida parks in 2020. Not that they all weren't amazing already, but this coaster looks nuts. I can't believe this will be in the same park as Kumba, Montu, and Falcon's Fury (among others). Talk about a totally world-class ride collection.

I am REALLY interested to see if that rendering of the first drop with the big gap between the top and bottom supports actually happens.

Maybe it allows some give to "pop out" some airtime with the flex of the ibeams, but anyway, this looks to be another insane RMC creation. Never been to BGT, but I gotta say, this certainly makes the possibility more attractive!

Eh they were really light on the details

Seriously, WTF did you expect??? They still have another NEW COASTER that has yet to open this year. Why would they steal the thunder away from that ride with lots of details on a 2020 coaster when they still have the 2019 one to open and focus on???

It honestly amazes me the level of ignorance some people on this forum still have about theme parks. Like, if you're here, you should KNOW BETTER about how parks do things.

giphy.gif

WOW, I'm shocked. This came totally out of left field. I can't fathom how they're even going to achieve this. SV was one thing - Mean streak was ~150ft tall already, and had a very large, drawn out footprint and structure that favored all the extra space those new, large elements took up (after all, it has to scale up a LOT when you add 50ft to it - think of that first hill on SV). Same goes for White Whale (?) at NSL - unreal that parks are actually doing this to these rides, but physically fathomable for me - they (especially White Cyclone) were already big rides. But now, RMC dares to add a whole 100 ft to Gwazi? Holy hell.

Honestly, I was really expecting it'd be wishful thinking if BGT would even keep both sides ala and not just chop one out entirely ala Storm Chaser. Clearly, not the case. BGT is blowing sh*t out of the water.

I can't believe how the mid-2010's has gone and how the early 2020's is looking. This scene for new attractions is unreal. Entire park's dynamics are changing. CGA, for example, will look completely different. RMC definitely has reinspired the coaster wars (I'm sure the economy has a lot more to do with it, but I can't help but see the nod to RMC's in other companies' new work and general attitude to try to outdo RMC). Disney had me sh*tting myself back in 2017 with the D23 announcement for their master plan till 2021. Universal is making some huge bold moves right now, and when I first heard about the up-and-coming Fantasy World (or what have you) I couldn't believe that it flew right under my nose. The land for that development is HUGE and totally changes the dynamic for Universal and Orlando, and you can't understate that. Pair that with them going back in the right direction (keeping this brief as to not get touchy about Dragon's Challenge here - I only mean to say that they seem to be going back to physical attractions like we've all longed) and the JP coaster looks to be an intense duo to the Hagrid coaster. Unreal. And that's Orlando alone.

The closer we get to 2020, the more and more amazing stuff we hear about, especially internationally. Everyday I keep thinking there's no way anything more could possibly be announced but all the time I keep getting shocked.

I've been out of the hobby a little bit lately as I entered college and my life changed a lot, and haven't been keeping up too much with this board like I used to. I only know there's a lot coming that I'm completely missed. But the excitement of this upcoming time is definitely reeling me back in quickly.

2020/21 is starting to feel like all the enthusiast's pipe dreams that died in the 2000's rolled up and executed all at once and I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

I am REALLY interested to see if that rendering of the first drop with the big gap between the top and bottom supports actually happens.

Don't count on it, that "rendering" is a very obvious NoLimits simulation that someone ran the automatic wooden support generator on. The layout that we're seeing may be correct, but not the supports.

Maybe it allows some give to "pop out" some airtime with the flex of the ibeams, but anyway, this looks to be another insane RMC creation. Never been to BGT, but I gotta say, this certainly makes the possibility more attractive!

I don't see the supports being like that, like someone else said, its like default NoLimits supports.

I'm guessing it'll have the cool looking steel lift structure like a few of the other RMCs with big lifts.

Dear SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment:

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has Tempesto, and would like one of these RMCs, too.

Thank you.

BGT's already stellar coaster lineup is just getting better.

Laughing at the people who now say “gee, NOW this really makes me want to visit BGT for the first time!” As if it wasn’t already one of the best parks in the world

There are a lot of people who would prefer that their Orlando vacations stay in Orlando. Can't say that I blame them for that with Orlando having so much on its own.

This ride will DEFINITELY bring me back, but I've opted to skip the park on my visits the last few years.

I was expecting some big things from this, but I was honestly not expecting it to dethrone Steel Vengeance's records. So exciting for BGT!!

This thing will look and feel MASSIVE on the Tampa skyline. Sheikra already feels twice as big as it really is and this is going to top that. Can't wait to start seeing it take shape.

Thank you.

BGW also has a GCI they could convert!

#WhoCaresIfItJustOpened

Thank you.

Dear CFC,

We would love to accommodate your request, but Kingsmill

thank you,

SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment

Edited by larrygator

^ Don't worry. You are going to have a blast even though the next coaster is not ready. BGT is really a cool place that is all about the experience of the moment. Not of the future, but what is there will wow you, and will keep calling you back like a mythological Siren. It has for me and I live here.