TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags [FUN] Corporate Discussion Thread

p. 91: Six Flags and Cedar Fair to enter "merger of equals" agreement, company will still be called "Six Flags"

Don't Frontier City, Great Escape, and La Ronde all have weird historical agreements in place that keep them from being fully branded as Six Flags parks? I know Frontier City especially has some kind of weirdness to it, stemming back from when it was moved off of the Oklahoma City fairgrounds. I just can't remember what the details were.
La Ronde has a deal with the city., Great Escape isn’t even a historical name that goes to Storytown USA. they do have the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge and brand the park Six Flags Great Escape Theme Park. It just dosent have enough thrills to be a flagship, It’s lower than SFA and SFSL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't Frontier City, Great Escape, and La Ronde all have weird historical agreements in place that keep them from being fully branded as Six Flags parks? I know Frontier City especially has some kind of weirdness to it, stemming back from when it was moved off of the Oklahoma City fairgrounds. I just can't remember what the details were.
La Ronde has a deal with the city., Great Escape isn’t even a historical name that goes to Storytown USA. they do have the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge and brand the park Six Flags Great Escape Theme Park. It just dosent have enough thrills to be a flagship, It’s lower than SFA and SFSL.

I worded that wrong. the Resort is Six Flags Great Escape, the park is Great Escape a Six Flags theme park, however they did use WB characters until 2011 and in 2019 Splashwater Kingdom becomes Six Flags Hurricane Harbor

NO Shavethewhales there is no weirdness with it being branded Six Flags Frontier City has been around a lot longer then Six Flags. It's a company choice and the current SF president said it himself he loves the charm of the park. They will not change that charm It is a one Themed park. Western Themed you brand it a Six Flags park you have to end up adding all those other brands to the park like DC comics, Looney Tunes etc. Six Flags primary goal from what I understand is to use these park to supplement their pass and membership numbers for Over Texas and Hurricane Harbor. Since both those parks are within a 3 hour drive. If they grow these parks I only seeing them add flat ride attractions. I think they are including both FC and White Water Bay as one park. So this year FC gets the remodeled kids area with new rides and a kiddie coaster. Next year I bet nothing gets added too FC and White Water bay gets a new attraction. White Water Bay history is that it used to be owned by Silver Dollar City 's Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation and sold to the old premier parks (Tierco) back in the early 90's.

so got the survey today (I'm on the "Six Flags Review Board". . or something like that, so they send me surveys a couple of times a month). . asking what I think about Mobile Ordering for restaurants at the park.

and asking for my opinion on a list of names.

I dunno. . per the app they had me Beta Test during the survey? it seems they don't make the food until you "check in" at the restaurant, even if you pre-order via the mobile app. so doesnt' that mean if there's a big line, then you still have to wait until orders in front of you are done before they make yours?

tho I'd assume you'd drop in before all those waiting in line who have not ordered.

they teased names like "Fast Flash Click". . . so maybe this will be a chargable thing, similar to Flash Pass?

willing to wait until it's rolled out before judging it, but seems that mobile ordering (and byproduct of a slowdown of the "standby" order line) might be coming to Six Flags Parks.

we shall see, I guess.

so got the survey today (I'm on the "Six Flags Review Board". . or something like that, so they send me surveys a couple of times a month). . asking what I think about Mobile Ordering for restaurants at the park.

and asking for my opinion on a list of names.

I dunno. . per the app they had me Beta Test during the survey? it seems they don't make the food until you "check in" at the restaurant, even if you pre-order via the mobile app. so doesnt' that mean if there's a big line, then you still have to wait until orders in front of you are done before they make yours?

tho I'd assume you'd drop in before all those waiting in line who have not ordered.

they teased names like "Fast Flash Click". . . so maybe this will be a chargable thing, similar to Flash Pass?

willing to wait until it's rolled out before judging it, but seems that mobile ordering (and byproduct of a slowdown of the "standby" order line) might be coming to Six Flags Parks.

we shall see, I guess.

I took the survey too and thought the same thing. I thought the food should be done by the time you get there. Maybe they're worried about having a lot of food that's done and people not there to pick it up? I work food service and when people make call-in orders for 10 minutes sometimes they're there in 5 minutes and sometimes in two hours. That's in a relatively small town that takes like 5-10 minutes to walk or drive from most other parts of town, let alone a theme park with tons of distractions and attractions that can take longer than people anticipate.

Still, this should be a huge improvement on the system they have now. I'm sure there will be bugs to work out when it first rolls out, but I'd much rather order and pay ahead of time than deal with the food lines as they are now.

Let's be reasonable. Disney doesn't start making your food until you check in either. Neither do McDonald's, Sonic, or anyone else. There was always zero chance Six Flags would make your food before you check in.

I don't do any mobile ordering, so bear with the noobie question:

Is it more of a demand gage instead of dealing with specific orders? Like realizing we'll have 70 orders over the next 30 minutes instead of just 20...

It does look like the chain is trying to address the food service problems on multiple fronts. Here at SFoG (opening day) I was pleasantly surprised to find new "refill stations" at numerous locations around the park. These are not Freestyle but simply a bank of fountains. This will most certainly limit frustration from guests that simply want to refill their souvenir bottle without having to wait in a food line. Hopefully this is chain-wide.

Also, our park decided to replace Panda Express with not Chop Six, but a new chicken wing place; Strutters Famous Chicken Wings & Brews. Are any other SF parks getting a "Strutters?" I had not heard of this before. We did use our dining passes there and it was actually pretty good.

Anyway - I posted numerous photos on the SFoG page but I will drop these here too....

20190309_154515.thumb.jpg.0a3663e86f7e64c78503051b0f9fc211.jpg

New at SFoG: Strutters Famous Chicken Wings & Brews (Formerly a Panda Express location)

20190309_154624.thumb.jpg.ab6e0ff64c2bbdb1ddee92f9901985a0.jpg

Close-up of the new logo. Conveniently fits in the frame of the old Panda Express sign

20190309_155501.thumb.jpg.c3669a6fb886fd172b732ae3862de47a.jpg

These "refill stations" are a nice addition! Go ahead SF...put 'em EVERYWHERE!!!

Let's be reasonable. Disney doesn't start making your food until you check in either. Neither do McDonald's, Sonic, or anyone else. There was always zero chance Six Flags would make your food before you check in.

as I noted, I'm absolutely willing to give it a chance once it goes live and we see how they plan it to actually work, so open minded about it now.

but I'd think if you pay when you order? then your food would be ready when you walk in.

(one of the questions on the survey I took was basically, "when would you be willing to pay for the food" -- and the options were like: when you order, before you arrive. when you arrive at the restaurant. when you get your food).

so they might be considering the options.

but again, open minded and willing to give it a chance

Looks like Jim Reid-Anderson will be retiring early next year.

Six Flags on the hunt for new CEO

By W. Scott Bailey – Senior Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal

Mar 8, 2019, 1:42pm EST

Six Flags Entertainment Corp. has launched a search to replace its chairman, president and CEO, James Reid-Anderson.

Reid-Anderson informed the Grand Prairie-based theme park company, which owns and operates Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio, that he plans to retire by February 2020, according to a recent filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Reid-Anderson, who was enlisted to lead Six Flags (NYSE: SIX) in July 2017, had been executive chairman of the company since February 2016 and replaced John Duffy, who retired. He’s had an extended track record with Six Flags, having previously been its chairman, president and CEO from August 2010 to February 2016.

On Reid-Anderson’s watch, Six Flags charted a new strategic course and made several significant operational improvements.

Last month, I reported that Six Flags finished 2018 strong, with overall revenue for the year increasing by $105 million to $1.5 billion. That year-over-year revenue growth was driven in part by a 5 percent increase in attendance, a 2 percent increase in guest spending per capita and a 4 percent increase per capita in park admissions.

The company — which owns and operates more than two dozen theme parks in the U.S., Mexico and Canada — saw net income increase by more than $2 million in 2018 to nearly $276 million. However, net income for the fourth quarter was down $19 million to $79 million.

Last summer, Fiesta Texas President Jeffrey Siebert told me heightened interest in Six Flags’ annual pass program was driving new momentum that could carry over to 2019.

“We have had a lot of interest in our new membership program, which we hope will lead to higher levels of attendance,” he said.

In November, there was industry speculation that Six Flags might be a suitor for SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. (NYSE: SEAS). But one theme park expert told me such a move is unlikely.

“I don’t think there is a chance it will happen,” International Theme Park Services Inc. President Dennis Speigel said.

One of the main challenges are the two companies’ financial situations.

“Six Flags is leveraged with debt. So is SeaWorld,” Speigel said.

Reid-Anderson said last month the company’s pricing power, membership strategy and in-park spending programs, combined with its domestic and international park expansion initiatives, “will provide a strong platform for growth for many years to come.”

Fiesta Texas leaders are banking on that momentum, which new leadership will have to help sustain.

Six Flags said its board will evaluate internal and external candidates for its CEO position. While it has set no timeline for hiring, the company is aiming to secure a successor prior to Reid-Anderson’s departure. Separately, the board will evaluate candidates for a new chairman following Reid-Anderson’s retirement.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2019/03/08/six-flags-on-the-hunt-for-new-ceo.html

as I noted, I'm absolutely willing to give it a chance once it goes live and we see how they plan it to actually work, so open minded about it now.

but I'd think if you pay when you order? then your food would be ready when you walk in.

(one of the questions on the survey I took was basically, "when would you be willing to pay for the food" -- and the options were like: when you order, before you arrive. when you arrive at the restaurant. when you get your food).

so they might be considering the options.

but again, open minded and willing to give it a chance

I get that. I just don't expect them to innovate at all. Right now all the fast food apps have you prepay then check in when you arrive, and Disney has followed suit. It's a model that works, and it's a relatively small percentage of customers. Six Flags will want to tap into this but not rock the boat. It's their MO.

Here at SFoG (opening day) I was pleasantly surprised to find new "refill stations" at numerous locations around the park.

I give it until about July 1st before those refill stations are where every single fruit fly in a 25-mile radius congregate. Outside without a constant eye on being clean, probably being used non-stop.

I guess I'm just used to Starbucks and Subway mobile ordering where the food is ready by the time you get there. It gives you a time estimate (e.g. 15 minutes) based on how busy they are so that you can plan to arrive when the food/drink is ready.

The way Starbucks does it is super convenient and I never have to wait in line at Starbucks anymore using the app. I've never had a problem getting the wrong drink or having my drink stolen either. I look at people waiting in line (which is long and slow at my college town) and wonder why everyone doesn't just use this service.

I did run into an issue once with Subway where I ordered and paid for something they had run out of, and they had to call me and make me a different sandwich and issue me a cash refund for the price difference when I arrived at the store. I'd hate to pay for food at Six Flags to find out that they ran out of what I wanted and there is nothing else I can eat at that location due to my dietary restrictions. I'm sure they'd figure out some way to make it right, though.

Unfortunately, I never tried mobile ordering when I was last at Disney, so I don't know how their mobile ordering works. That would probably be a better gauge to work with than Starbucks or Subway.

Here at SFoG (opening day) I was pleasantly surprised to find new "refill stations" at numerous locations around the park.

I give it until about July 1st before those refill stations are where every single fruit fly in a 25-mile radius congregate. Outside without a constant eye on being clean, probably being used non-stop.

The refill stations that were located outside were adjunct to a snack stand and had an attendant. (Someone has to keep away the freeloaders...and keep it clean also.) I do not share your 'fruit fly' prediction.

This may be Six Flags but give them a break for once...let's not attempt to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I guess I'm just used to Starbucks and Subway mobile ordering where the food is ready by the time you get there. It gives you a time estimate (e.g. 15 minutes) based on how busy they are so that you can plan to arrive when the food/drink is ready.

The way Starbucks does it is super convenient and I never have to wait in line at Starbucks anymore using the app. I've never had a problem getting the wrong drink or having my drink stolen either. I look at people waiting in line (which is long and slow at my college town) and wonder why everyone doesn't just use this service.

I did run into an issue once with Subway where I ordered and paid for something they had run out of, and they had to call me and make me a different sandwich and issue me a cash refund for the price difference when I arrived at the store. I'd hate to pay for food at Six Flags to find out that they ran out of what I wanted and there is nothing else I can eat at that location due to my dietary restrictions. I'm sure they'd figure out some way to make it right, though.

Unfortunately, I never tried mobile ordering when I was last at Disney, so I don't know how their mobile ordering works. That would probably be a better gauge to work with than Starbucks or Subway.

Oh interesting. I live in a college town too, just don't like Starbucks.

Sonic had an issue with an order I placed on the app, and they couldn't make it. They refunded me and brought out a substitute, all on their offer. I thought that was really great of them.

As for Six Flags, undoubtedly there are going to be issues, especially in the beginning. They'll figure out what works for them. I just see them leaning really hard on what has been done before.

• 2 months later...

Six Flags is really conservative, and they tend to stick with proven strategies. That's why you see the same names over and over, even for different rides, because those names have proven to be successful at attracting new guests. If MaxxForce goes over well, they'll do it again in markets where it makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone holding their breath regarding Six Flags in Dubai can relax. I'm sure SF is happy to have the $7.5 million

https://www.apnews.com/c71008aa669c4cabaa7747da1f999aa0

Dubai firm pays $7.5M for cancelling Six Flags park plans

AP NEWS

July 3, 2019

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A Dubai firm said Tuesday it will pay $7.5 million to Six Flags after abandoning plans to build a version of the U.S. amusement park in the United Arab Emirates amid a slowdown in the economy.

DXB Entertainments, which runs Dubai Parks & Resorts, said it agreed with Texas-based Six Flags Entertainment Corp. to pay the amount as “a right of first refusal.”

In February, DXB Entertainments announced it was cancelling plans to build the $454 million Six Flags, citing financing constraints. The company, which owns other theme parks in Dubai, posted a first quarter net loss of $59 million and visits were down 11% over the same period.

DXB Entertainments is majority-owned by Meraas Holding, a development company owned by Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.