TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

I’m not from California and don’t really know how things work there. However if every gondola/ chairlift in Norway had to be removed after a breakdown all our ski resorts would be out of business And when they stop the temperature is usually between -5C to -20C (23F to -4F)

Yeah, but the difference here was this was a theme park ride with average guests. Not skiers, active, and dressed for cold weather.

I’m not from California and don’t really know how things work there. However if every gondola/ chairlift in Norway had to be removed after a breakdown all our ski resorts would be out of business And when they stop the temperature is usually between -5C to -20C (23F to -4F)

Yeah, but the difference here was this was a theme park ride with average guests. Not skiers, active, and dressed for cold weather.

Yeah that’s true I think it will be fine though

Sorry if I missed it, but how far up off the water are these things? Like aside from the baby and paralyzed person, would it be possible to safely jump into the water?

"OK everyone just go ahead and jump. It's the only way down. Except the baby and the paralyzed person. Just leave them there. "

The NWS forecast issued yesterday afternoon for coastal San Diego County was for winds of 15-20 MPH with gusts of up to 30 MPH.

Three peak wind gusts from nearby locations last evening:

San Diego International Airport / 33 MPH / 6:20 PM

Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport / 23 MPH / 6:35 PM

Scripps Pier (La Jolla) / 44 MPH / 6:20 PM

Ultimately, if Bill's got the right number here:

...a ride with a wind limit of about 20 MPH...

...then with a forecast for 30 MPH gusts, they should have never been running the ride.

Sorry if I missed it, but how far up off the water are these things? Like aside from the baby and paralyzed person, would it be possible to safely jump into the water?

"OK everyone just go ahead and jump. It's the only way down. Except the baby and the paralyzed person. Just leave them there. "

We laugh at this but it reminded me of the girl who jumped down from a similar style of ride. I don't remember why she was hanging. I want to say it was her fault. Oh and 49 is cold

https://globalnews.ca/news/3554176/girl-hangs-six-flags-amusement-park-ride/

I want to say it was her fault. Oh and 49 is cold

we're in Texas tho.

Texas "cold" counts about as much as California "cold". . .LOL. . as in . . not really.

People thought it was "cold" when I went to Fiesta Texas on Sat, and it was in the low 60's.

(I moved to Texas when I was 7, so I remember New Jersey winter. . THAT is "cold")

ETA: it *is* a bit chilly in Austin today, with the temps hovering around 42, and drizzling all day. So I wouldn't argue it was chilly, or "cold" if someone wanted to describe it that way today. . .

Ultimately, if Bill's got the right number here:
...a ride with a wind limit of about 20 MPH...

I don't know the exact number for that specific ride but basically every Von Roll seems to have a limit of 20-25 MPH and they often post this (I believe Great Adventure is 23). That said, each park is different with how they handle it. Great Adventure's ride will automatically stop if the computer detects a strong gusts, other parks will rely on a phone call to the ride platform telling the crew to shut the ride down. It's not always an exact science.

In their defense, the gusts that came through yesterday caught a lot of people off guard. For example: this took place at a nearby Safari park. I've heard that riders experienced a 60mph gust at the top of the Skyway and that's probably about right but I haven't been able to confirm it and haven't really tried that hard.

Occasionally random, crazy gusts on days with otherwise light winds are going to happen though. I'm not going to play Monday morning quarterback.

Edited by coasterbill

In their defense, the gusts that came through yesterday caught a lot of people off guard.

That would be a shameful defense for a park operator, because it's literally part of their job to know the forecast and not operate rides in situations where the winds are expected to become too strong for safe operations.

The forecasts aren't always right. You said yourself that they only predicted guests up to 30 mph. Wind speeds were likely double that so (if true) they totally blew the forecast. If you have cells moving through and you can track their wind speeds as they approach then sure... they screwed up. If there's a pop up storm or gust that comes out of nowhere then there's only so much you can do.

I'm not going to play Monday morning quarterback because I don't know what happened but based on the forecast you gave nobody should be jumping to conclusions and rushing to blame the park. I'd expect any park to run a Sky Ride with a forecast of "15-20 MPH with gusts of up to 30 MPH" if they haven't yet exceeded their wind limit.

I would just add to this that I highly doubt Sea World has their own weather station/meteorologist on staff, so like coasterbill mentioned, they can only go off what they are given from their weather service of choice.

The weather has been "crazy" by southern california standards in the last month---there was even a day recently where a 20% chance of rain turned into a large thunderstorm that was definitely not in the forecast.

In their defense, the gusts that came through yesterday caught a lot of people off guard.

That would be a shameful defense for a park operator, because it's literally part of their job to know the forecast and not operate rides in situations where the winds are expected to become too strong for safe operations.

Please let me talk to everyone about weather forecasters continued amazing accuracy!!!

Love the 15 year old boy and his dad that were freezing cold and scared the gondola was going to drop at any minute.

Update on the honest-to-god adult and his teenage son who almost froze to death: Not only was it almost 50 degrees but every cabin was equipped with blankets under the seats and ride crews have an intercom on the towers that they used to tell them this.

The father is a jackass and is setting an embarrassing example for his son.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Today it was announced that Sesame Place San Diego will open in Spring 2021 on the site of the current Aquatica San Diego. The new park will integrate attractions from the existing water park while adding new Sesame Street-inspired experiences to make this new Sesame Place location unique.

73070645_138108467570180_902454022814826496_o.thumb.jpg.439ef7da76fc8b3457bab1458a6aad31.jpg

https://sesameplace.com/san-diego/blog/a-new-sesame-place-theme-park/

SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: SEAS), a leading theme park and entertainment company, and Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street®, today revealed the location of a new Sesame Place® theme park, the second Sesame Place® in the United States. The new park will open in San Diego in spring 2021 and will be the first Sesame Place on the West Coast.

“As we celebrate Sesame Street’s 50th Anniversary, we are excited to share the news of a major opportunity for kids and families to connect with and learn from the brand and its beloved characters,” said Steve Youngwood, President, Media & Education and Chief Operating Officer, Sesame Workshop. “The opening of Sesame Place San Diego will give guests a unique and powerful way to experience Sesame Street, enable us to connect with even more families, and further our educational mission.”

Sesame Place San Diego will feature all the fun, laughter, and learning of Sesame Street in a highly immersive way, with exciting family rides, water slides, live character shows, parades and interactive experiences that will extend the laughter and learning of Sesame Street. The original Sesame Place, currently the only U.S. theme park based entirely on the iconic children’s program, opened outside Philadelphia in July 1980 and has been a premier destination for families countrywide for nearly 40 years.

“We share Sesame Workshop’s goal of educating and entertaining generations of children, and the opening of a second park, the only one of its kind on the West Coast, furthers our company mission to provide guests with extraordinary experiences,” said Marc Swanson, Interim Chief Executive Officer, SeaWorld Entertainment. “ We are thrilled to be able to grow the presence of Sesame Place theme parks in the United States, and San Diego is the perfect complement to our Philadelphia location.”

Sesame Place San Diego will open as a Certified Autism Center (CAC), mirroring its Philadelphia sister park, which was the first theme park in the world to achieve this designation. Staff-wide autism sensitivity and awareness training will be completed prior to the park’s debut, and robust pre-visit planning resources, including a park-specific sensory guide will be featured on its website, making it easier for parents to plan activities that satisfy their child’s specific needs and accommodations. Designated quiet spaces with adjustable lighting and comfortable seating will be incorporated into the park’s design.

“We are proud to be opening this new park as a Certified Autism Center and are committed in our efforts to offer families inclusive activities for children with autism and other special abilities,” added Swanson. “Providing fun and memorable experiences through exceptional service is a part of that.”

Sesame Place San Diego will be located on the site of the current Aquatica San Diego, extending SeaWorld’s commitment to not only the local community but also establishing this new park as a premier tourist destination in the western United States.

SeaWorld has been Sesame Workshop’s exclusive theme park partner in the United States for almost 40 years. Sesame Street Bay of Play opened at SeaWorld San Diego in 2008 and SeaWorld Orlando recently opened Sesame Street Land™, a brand new land with six themed rides, over 30 innovative and educational ways to play, and the park’s first ever parade. There is also a distinct Sesame Street land inside the SeaWorld theme park in San Antonio.

660x410_FlyingFish_2.jpg.899673c7429469c3c7d223d5ea6229e6.jpg

72568555_138110060903354_6748510356462632960_o.thumb.jpg.edc9d14b7df87c6c173aa90bc86ecf4b.jpg

74335431_138108820903478_4227434600332263424_o.thumb.jpg.cf263956d9af13af2cf4b699c64469fb.jpg

75265006_138109300903430_1747790512510730240_o.thumb.jpg.05f786e729ca1d14af3173c85c0a3e9f.jpg

Julia.jpg.2690f8f0831505a6dfbddfb0586aa61f.jpg

1041865600_GirlinTube.jpg.ac328adf66c2e1cb2f03d770709387b2.jpg

That's a pretty exciting announcement, I love the idea of stand alone water parks incorporating amusement park style rides. This type of park is absolutely perfect for my kids at the age they're at, if we lived in a market with this type of park we'd go all the time.

I'm assuming there will a pass option available for this with Sea World so that's a pretty exciting option to have in that area.

I was not expecting them to completely retheme an Aquatica to Sesame Street, but I don't blame them for milking such a profitable IP.

I was shocked as well, but it sounds like this is more of a strategic play, both to reduce the cost of acquiring land and building infrastructure from the ground up, while leveraging a property that has brand familiarity with families. I don't think I ever comprehended just how powerful of a brand Sesame Street was until I walked through the new land at SeaWorld Orlando earlier this year and watched how the land was full, and the daytime parade brought an energy to the park that I'd never seen before.

SeaWorld has always been heavily reliant on their own branding as IP but post-Blackfish, they've needed to move away from that, so leaning on timeless IPs like Sesame Street and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer seems like a smart move for them right now.

Very Strange Indeed. Judging By the concept art it still appears to be more than 65% water park still as well. But there are two things that I know are popular: water parks and sesame street. Maybe the intersection of the two will print money. But Keeping the Tornado slide and the body slides do seem to kind of go against the demographic just a little bit. And I cant imagine this park attracting teens and young adults anymore like Aquatica does.

But Keeping the Tornado slide and the body slides do seem to kind of go against the demographic just a little bit. And I cant imagine this park attracting teens and young adults anymore like Aquatica does.

Eh, I wouldn't look too far into that, those slides are only 48" so a lot of kinds under the age of 10 can and will go on those especially the tornado slide, they'll fit the demographic just fine.