TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Pretty cool they spoke to you. . tho doesn't say why?

do they just know around the office you're a coaster fan, and so talked to you about it?

(they don't identify you via chyron, so wondering)

Yeah, the woman who did the story is friends with a lot of my friends on Facebook and they referred me to her. I don't think they gave me a title because I have never been in an official roller coaster club which I have always wanted to join. That being said, I am not the that credible of a source and more of a huge coaster fan (almost like GP status) being interviewed.

Still pretty cool they talked to you.

and hey, ClubTPR (with all the great benefits) is right here

For me, if a ride is a clone I don't really care if it's not the best version of that clone if it's still awesome.

Prime example: B:TR

Absolutely. We were at Magic Mountain last week and even though over the years we've probably been on the Great Adventure one almost 100 times and even though neither of us "needed the credit" there was no way in hell we were skipping it. If that ride wasn't a clone then enthusiasts would declare it one of the best rides in the park (even at Magic Mountain which is loaded with awesome coasters).

I agree with both of you. Batman is one of the best rides in every Six Flags, especially if they turn on thr air conditioning in the sewer tunnel. Without AC, though, that part of the queue suuuuuucks.

Jokers Jinx launches 10mph slower than all of the other clones.

I know it's fun to talk about, but I really don't see the park getting a replacement coaster within the next few years. The park has always had a stacked coaster lineup for it's yearly attendance, even with Volcano gone. I see a flatride, or a coaster in at least four years probably more.

Good job, man. Thanks for sharing.

After the interview, she told me she also interviewed the "Head of Maintenance" of the ride and he gave a more detailed description, reason, and problems that were involved with the closing and removal of the coaster.

And by "Head of Maintenance" she meant former board operator....? Your part was awesome and well said, Kudos!

After the interview, she told me she also interviewed the "Head of Maintenance" of the ride and he gave a more detailed description, reason, and problems that were involved with the closing and removal of the coaster.

And by "Head of Maintenance" she meant former board operator....? Your part was awesome and well said, Kudos!

LOLOLOL, that's why I put it in quotations because it sounded far fetched or more than likely I heard her wrong. Kristin, the reporter, did make her own conclusion that the mountain will definitely not be staying after digging around during her report and interviews. She called KD directly and they obviously declined to comment on anything. I don't know who else she interviewed to come up with that conclusion, but I think it's coming down too because it would make it so much easier to dismantle the coaster. Also, it would have to be more cost effective as well I would assume... Anyway, what the heck do I know... She didn't even want to put my name at the bottom of the screen

Just gonna put this out there:

Take a look at the shot of the Volcano in the news report posted above about 55 seconds into the video.

I'd be very surprised if the mountain stays.

I am not seeing anything that would make anyone come to that conclusion . . .

I know I'm late to the wake, but yeah, it's gonna be missed around here. The kiddo was only a couple of inches away from making the height requirement, and he's pretty disappointed as well that it's another coaster he'll never be able to ride. Personally, I'm happy for the good memories I had on it, but there's no denying that it was a total maintenance nightmare just from the sheer amount of downtime it's had. I hope whatever they end up replacing it with ends up faring a little better for the park down the road.

^We got lucky in 2015 with our one and only visit. It was operating all day.

If they'd just left the temporarily closed sign out front until next season no one would have known the difference. Isn't it part of the themeing, anyway? You wouldn't have had Facebook users demanding their money back for 2019 Season Passes.

I wonder when they'll start demolition. Seems like it would be a lot of trouble to save that tired looking volcano. I don't think it'll stay.

I hope the volcano itself stays. It's one of the unique things about the park.

very few Parks have anything as unique as this left anymore. I like roller coasters, but I also like to have a theme park experience as well.... not just concrete and trash cans.

There's a little outdoor bar in Candy Apple Grove near Windseeker that serves cocktails, wine, and beer. KD has their own line of beer brewed by Center of the Universe Brewery in nearby Ashland.

Unfortunately, I think that bar was only temporary.

KD could definitely improve their alcohol offerings. I would just absolutely love if there was an indoor spot with an actual bar that served drafts for any amount under $10.

Interesting news, but not overly surprising about Volcano. Great idea, totally original, but a maintenance nightmare over the years.

I agree with those that said that the launches and theming were both great, but the barrel rolls were somewhat boring and even a bit uncomfortable when they slowed the launches down.

I can see them tearing down the mountain/coaster and the top spin and completely re-theming that area.

As much as the old Paramount "jungle theme" for that area seemed cool, it seemed quirky with those two rides, a bobsled and Outer Banks all mixed together. LOL

Just gonna put this out there:

Take a look at the shot of the Volcano in the news report posted above about 55 seconds into the video.

I'd be very surprised if the mountain stays.

I am not seeing anything that would make anyone come to that conclusion . . .

Is the Volcano supposed to look like this or is it just a weird angle?

volcano..PNG.f19ff0bfe7fbd58ad6b4122d3f172d93.PNG

Even from the "correct" angles it always looked a little... off, this was taken in 2015 and it looked "off" then too.

Probably has something to do with the giant yellow roller coaster coming out of the top.

That's one of the things, I love, about Kentucky Kingdom. They have Taco Tequila Bar and a Craft Beer pavillon with Bourbon Shots and you can walk anywhere around the park with your drinks.

Kentucky Kingdom is pretty much a beech bar in the middle of the Midwest that has roller coasters. It's like the cool version of Holliday World.

I'm really sad to hear about this closing down and that I never got to ride it but it seemed like it was inevitable with all the downtime it was having. It would be cool to built another launch coaster into the volcano like a Mack or even a B&M invert but I'm guessing the volcano was a big part of the maintenance issue so it will probably go. The saddest thing is there are so many horrible SLCs out there that have outlived this unique invert.