TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

I'm just thrilled they're putting out a big thrill coaster to make up for the loss of Dragons.

Let's not make the assumption it's a "big thrill coaster" just yet. From what I've been hearing, we may be seeing something more along the lines of Cheetah Hunt, which is great because I love that coaster, but I'm not sure it would "make up" for Dragons.

Especially, when, if you think about it... if it does end up being something more like Cheetah Hunt, isn't that *kind of* what the are building right now in place of Dragons?

I'll be very curious to see how this develops...

^That’s what I was thinking. Aren’t they opening a semi-intense Intamin launch coaster this year? Would be strange to see them open a second one in 2020. Almost seems like some rumors got jumbled together in a game of telephone.

IDK. Is Maverick roughly the same intensity as Cheetah Hunt? Because it's supposedly going to be similar to that.

To say that those coasters are on the same level of intensity is like saying a B&M hyper stands a chance against an Intamin mega... except in this case, Cheetah Hunt is still a good ride

No. Not at all. People really need to stop comparing these two coasters. They are nothing like each other in any way.

I ask the question, "What's a Blitz coaster?" as a joke all the time because there is no qualifier as to what a "Blitz coaster" is. In reality, the only objective similarity between Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, Taiga, Taron, and the like is that their launch(es) are powered by LSMs as opposed to being yanked by a cable and a hydraulic system. Everything else is subjective, and it's why Intamin just calls them "LSM coasters" now because that's literally what they are.

Really, if this Universal coaster gets built the way we think it will, its closest "competitor" will probably be Copperhead Strike, of all things.

Is Maverick roughly the same intensity as Cheetah Hunt?

No. Not at all. People really need to stop comparing these two coasters. They are nothing like each other in any way.

Gotcha. So basically, Pottercoaster = Cheetah Hunt, and Jurrassic Park coaster = Maverick.

Gotcha. So basically, Pottercoaster = Cheetah Hunt, and Jurrassic Park coaster = Maverick.

We don't know enough about the JP coaster to make that assumption. I'm only guessing it was going to be more like Cheetah Hunt because that's what I've been told. So if that is the case then it would be Pottercoaster = Cheetah Hunt, and Jurrassic Park coaster = Cheetah Hunt.

Which is exactly why I said above:

if it does end up being something more like Cheetah Hunt, isn't that *kind of* what the are building right now in place of Dragons?
Edited by robbalvey

We don't know enough about the JP coaster to make that assumption. I'm only guessing it was going to be more like Cheetah Hunt because that's what I've been told. So if that is the case then it would be Pottercoaster = Cheetah Hunt, and Jurrassic Park coaster = Cheetah Hunt.

Which is exactly why I said above:

if it does end up being something more like Cheetah Hunt, isn't that *kind of* what the are building right now in place of Dragons?

You may be right. I'm just going by what I've gathered.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody! I’m taking a trip down to Universal for the first time in a couple years and saw that they have been moving away from the older fingerprint lockers, in favor of scanning tickets for lockers. The website says that admission is through biometrics and that there is no ticket to print. How do I use the lockers? Thanks!

I think maybe 1 or 2 L*cker locations still use Fingerprint ID when choosing a l*cker, and returning. Most of them have moved on to scanning your park ticket to rent and then return. It's extremely easy to use and free. The only annoyance is not having your cell phone to peruse while waiting if the line is long.

I think maybe 1 or 2 L*cker locations still use Fingerprint ID when choosing a l*cker, and returning. Most of them have moved on to scanning your park ticket to rent and then return. It's extremely easy to use and free. The only annoyance is not having your cell phone to peruse while waiting if the line is long.

When I purchased the tickets, it said that admission is through fingerprints. How do I use most of the lockers if I don’t have a paper ticket because I got in through fingerprints? Or do I need to scan a paper ticket and use a fingerprint to get into the park?

^You will still have a ticket. Either a paper ticket, print out, or mobile. All of these can be scanned at the l-cker.

Thank you!! I haven’t been there in a few years, wasn’t totally sure if it meant only biometrics or if there is still a paper ticket involved

Took my daughter to UO for her 11th birthday this past weekend and had a wonderful time. It was a bit more crowded than I expected, the various calendars suggested it would be low but they were fairly packed even on Monday, but not to the point where we ever felt like we needed fast passes and it didn't impact our visit much. I think the shine is finally off the apple a bit for me for the park, it's a case of having gone too much too often, but experiencing with my daughter for her visit was great and her excitement was infectious. For example normally I am not a fan of shows and events, I'm at parks for the rides, but she loved the Mardi Gras parade so much that we both really got into it, and the excellent performers didn't hurt any either.

We got to see E.T. with the lights on as it broke down just before our first attempt at boarding, so that was pretty cool to me to get some 'backstage' views. But pretty much everything was standard operation and what you'd expect. Lot of screens, lots of involuntary mini-showering. The new(ish) ticketing system for your stuff seems to work better than the fingerprint style, although the navigability of these areas is still a special little slice of hell.

Clearing work is going strong in back of the JP Discovery Center with a lot of activity going on there. There didn't seem to be as much action on the new HP coaster side but it could just be the work is quieter than heavy earth moving equipment. Also very quiet was the Dudley Do-Right refurbishment which was the one downer of the trip, it's such a great flume and I knew it was going to be closed ahead of time, but still.

So this is random but I’m watching CNBC and Universal Orlando is apparently now running ads promoting Diagon Alley and (a few scenes later) the Jaws ride as if it’s still a thing. Has anyone else seen these?

... what the f*ck are they doing?

It's an ad for both coasts. Still a jaws portion on the studio tour. I agree it doesn't separate that well in the commercial though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk