TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

That was not what I was expecting to see when I went in this thread. That's terrible to hear since it was such a one of a kind ride. I'm thankful it was operating when I went in April.

My sister is going to be bummed. That was her favorite coaster (yes she liked it more than Intimidator, SFNE's Superman, Skyrush, Phoenix, etc).

Yeah, there are so many fun but generic coasters out there. This was not one of them. Super happy I got another ride in 2017. Remember being fascinated by this coaster when I was younger due to a roller coaster book I loved. Very disappointed about this as it rode so nice.

Wow!! I am glad that the one and only time I visited KD, I was able to ride!!! I was planning a trip there for the summer and hoping it would be open, but I guess not!

Sucks more that, since it was down so much, they couldn't give it a Season Finale.

CIP(Coast In Peace) Volcano!

Damn that sucks. I loved this ride and this was one of the most popular rides in the park too. Going to be really interesting to see what they do with the mountain itself since it's been there for a long time. I'm curious to see if they knock that down completely as well or decide to try to incorporate a new ride into it.

Edited by Satans Hockey

This one definitely hurts more than most. I had no problem with Cedar Fair removing their old Vekomas (Boomerang, Stinger, Firehawk), but this removal is definitely the largest and most iconic of them all. I'm glad I rode it 4-5 times in 2017. I really appreciate the coaster's uniqueness. There was nothing like it when it was built and even 20 years later, it still stood as the only launched full-circuit invert.

That being said, nothing lasts forever. And knowing Cedar Fair and Kings Dominion, I'm sure the replacement down the line will be worthy. Cedar Fair really is cutting the crap with their overly-high-maintenance coasters. They're not playing any games.

Alright, I’m not even gonna lie, reading that blog update made me cry. I’ll admit it & I don’t care. I know Volcano was a pain to keep up, but I did NOT think they would throw in the towel on it this soon. I never thought I’d be hurt by the removal of a coaster, but this truly hurts. Volcano was my first ever launched coaster and it was my first coaster with inversions, so it holds a very special place in my heart and I really hate to see it go smh...wow, I really can’t believe this. But, I know KD will replace it with another amazing coaster someday, I hope. Just a shame the one and only launched full circuit invert coasters will soon be no more. It’s saddening...truly. It had one of the best launches I’ve ever experienced & I’m glad I got a MANY rides on it.

C.I.P. Volcano: The Blast Coaster May you erupt in coaster heaven.

This is truly a sad day in the coaster world, what was once (and still somewhat was) a unique coaster experience is lost forever. There really wasn't anything else like it, and Intamin only made 3 inverted coasters to begin with. Of course like many revolutionary rides the maintenance costs finally caught up to it, not too mention it's capacity was never the greatest. One of my all time favorites though, will easily be missed.

With that being said, if they decide to keep the mountain, we may just see a clone or something similar to Canada's Wonderland Guardian ride since they too had a mountain to work with. Not sure how feasible that would be but it could work and makes sense. If not, they should remove the mountain for future expansion whatever that may be. Possibly a Mack coaster like at Carowinds, who knows.

Man this blows. I always feel like a douche being upset about ride removals but (not to be corny) there is pain in losing something that always brings/brought you so much joy. Volcano wasn't the best coaster but it was super unique, had a couple badass launches, and was just a weird and wonky machine that always put a smile on my face. Not to mention, this is my first year with a KD platinum pass, and part of the reason for the purchase was hoping they'd had a year to sort out these issues and Volcano would be back in business for 2019. I'm not like... gonna go burn my pass or anything lol but it's a little annoying for that reason.

Definitely one of the best coasters in the park and let's not forgot how it ALWAYS had the longest line in the park. I know part of that was capacity but I also know people LOVED the sh*t out of this ride (just look at the comments on their FB page).

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when the last time it actually operated was? We did get a lap on it on opening weekend 2018 and I know it went down shortly after that.

While this announcement is sad, it isn't very surprising. I think the law of diminishing returns finally caught up with Volcano. I'll miss this unique coaster, which I always had to ride first thing in the morning before the days of Fast Lane Plus. Those two launches were incredible.

Well I have our visit planned for the first week of June, and had Volcano on the bucket list! Scratch that!!

Shame really as it looks like a fun ride (when it is working!). That still leaves I305, Dominator and Twisted Timbers to look forward to though....so it isn't all bad.

It would be interesting to know the decision making process behind removing a (popular) ride from a park. Factors of cost, safety, maintenance, will it be replaced with something "better" etc etc. Whilst it can be frustrating for coaster fans, I am sure there are lots of factors at play...and this is not a decision they take lightly.

a real shame, but I guess if it's sitting there SBNO for most of the season, the mechanical issues must be a nightmare to deal with.

so this is now the 2nd super unique coaster (the other being Hypersonic) that Kings Dominion tried with, and eventually just had to give up on.

I really liked this coaster, and glad I got to ride it, but have faith that KD will put something unique and neat in that position (tho wouldn't surprise me if a flat goes in there, since that area of the park is so "coaster heavy". .and no guarantee it would get replaced with a similar ride - ie: coaster ).

Hell, they could put in a bathroom over there (the area *really* needs one), since KD already has such a great coaster lineup.

I am super sad that Volcano is leaving before FoF, as the midcourse brakes on that just kill the flow of the ride, and didn't enjoy it much on either of my trips. . . . tho it DOES seem to be popular with the public based on lines for it that I've seen, and the announcement does mention "Guest satisfaction"

FoF *is* right next to Volcano tho. . imagine how much space that would open up if both went out

Well I have our visit planned for the first week of June, and had Volcano on the bucket list! Scratch that!!

Shame really as it looks like a fun ride (when it is working!). That still leaves I305, Dominator and Twisted Timbers to look forward to though....so it isn't all bad.

don't skip Racer. ..the retracking they did had it running AMAZING in the summer of 2018.

(sure it's just an out and back racing woodie. . but man, was it fun. . and in the rain it was *flying*)