Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1050: 2020 park and water park additions announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Marineland's future is very much in doubt and Dragon Mountain is actually really, really good. I'd suggest going to the park for a few hours and then checking out the falls on the same day. You only need a few hours at Marineland even if you're like us and you like the animal exhibits. The price point is kind of high for a park that's objectively a sh*thole but I think it's worth it just because the park may not be long for this world and the coaster and drop tower are legitimately very good.

As for Niagara, I can't recommend the Hornblower / Maid of the Mist enough if you haven't done it.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby anonymouscactus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Cave of the winds. USA side. You're welcome.

It's ranked #1 thing to do in the falls on TripAdvisor for a reason.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-d283344?m=19905

(While they did add an annoying "pre-show" (well it's informative but us locals know the drill :-p) the upside is you can now get a return time instead of waiting in line for an hour or two. You can view the falls from up top (which is a sub par view on the USA side but, eh) while you wait so make sure you get your ticket FIRST and then stroll around the park.

PS: the poncho does nothing. lol.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:56 pm

Niagara Falls Fun

I did Journey Behind the Falls a few years ago. Walking behind the falls was completely lackluster, but it gives you access to a viewing deck at the base of Horseshoe Falls.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Well . . . I might have to add a new park and tourist attraction to my "Canadian Adventure Trip!" ;)
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:46 am

nicman wrote:That is probably the reason why they finished the coaster so early.

When will people realize that almost ALL B&M installations done with CF have been done around the same exact time? It's not early, it's on schedule as planned. Finishing in Jan/Feb is common.

Fury was finished Jan 30th.

Gatekeeper was Feb 27th.

Banshee was Jan 23rd.

Leviathan was in Feb sometime.

And so on...!
-Steve

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby WolfBobs » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:24 pm

Invertalon wrote:
nicman wrote:That is probably the reason why they finished the coaster so early.

When will people realize that almost ALL B&M installations done with CF have been done around the same exact time? It's not early, it's on schedule as planned. Finishing in Jan/Feb is common.

Fury was finished Jan 30th.

Gatekeeper was Feb 27th.

Banshee was Jan 23rd.

Leviathan was in Feb sometime.

And so on...!

Please don't ruin enthusiast conspiracy theories... It's not like CF strives to actually have their rides open with the parks opening day and on rare occasions miss them. It's not like they choose to open new attractions after Memorial Day like another regional chain.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Invertalon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:28 pm

WolfBobs wrote:Please don't ruin enthusiast conspiracy theories... It's not like CF strives to actually have their rides open with the parks opening day and on rare occasions miss them. It's not like they choose to open new attractions after Memorial Day like another regional chain.

My thoughts exactly! :lmao:
-Steve

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:39 pm

Well . . . Yukon Striker track is finally done! =) :lover: =)
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: how to visit wonderland

Postby Doppel Looping » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:39 am

Some friendly tips for people coming to ride Yukon Striker:

Wonderland is a pretty good park with an improving collection of coasters and some diverse flat rides. It's water park is not bad either. Early season weekdays before school lets out before ~late june, are the best time to go to Wonderland to avoid lines. It gets crazy busy from then on to september.

If you have a season pass or platinum pass, you can get ERT Sunday mornings 9:00am to 10:00am when the park opens to everybody else. I usually go for ERT and the first hour or two, and then go home as the park gets busier. I can get lots of rides in 2.5 hrs and then have the rest of the day to do other things. Each week they rotate the ERT area between Behemoth, Leviathan, and up til now Vortex area. On the website they have a calendar of what areas have ERT on a given weekend, though clearly i am not very good at reading websites. They also have Slashworks ERT where passholders get in an hour early there too (it opens later than the main gates).

Toronto has an international airport which has direct flights to lots of cities as it is one of Canada's big hub airports. Flying to US from here, you actually clear US customs on this side, so when you land in US it is treated like a domestic flight (factor in extra time to clear customs on the ride home). Lots of rental car options there. Or you can drive here, our roads connect you yours via buffalo, detroit and the thousand islands.

We have our own currency which you can get from bank machines, or rely on lousy exchange rates at places that take us cash.

You pretty much need a car to get to Wonderland. Technically there is a bus that takes you there but is a pain in the arse and takes a long time. Wonderland is north of the city, and in good traffic i can get there in 30 min from downtown, it can take much longer during rush hour depending on where you are coming from.

Toronto is a great city with lots to do. Public transit in the city is not bad and you can get to theatre, restaurants, bars, breweries pretty easily. I own Junction Craft Brewing which is a 20 min drive straight south of Wonderland (in good traffic). Tell them you are one of Doug's rollercoaster friends and you will be looked after. (or message me)

We have an island in our harbour that is a city park with a small amusement park, Centerville. They have an old log flume, some antique cars, an indoor scrambler, the Haunted barrel works and a steam train that takes you around the island. No extreme thrill rides, but a nice park. bring a picnic, it is fun, and has great views of the city. You need to take a Ferry boat over. Open weekends in may to september. http://www.centreisland.ca/

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby thedlr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:49 am

^ We'll be visiting late May. Thanks for all that great info. I've added your brewery to my bookmarks!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!