Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure

P. 4: Tower of London, Tower Bridge, London Eye & more!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure (HP1)

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Our first stop during our time in London was the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter. We'd had little samples of this experience at the Celebration of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando, but with my wife being a huge fan of all things Potter and me being a fan of the films and the moviemaking process, there was no question about us visiting while in Europe.

The Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter is a giant collection of soundstages and outdoor spaces playing host to set pieces, props and practical effects big and small that were used in the creation of the Harry Potter films. The experience continues to evolve with new additions and seasonal overlays of portions of the tour. The experience is self guided, though you have the option to pay for a deeper-level guidebook and/or a VIP tour with a guide (this is definitely something we'll get the next time we visit).

Many tour companies recommend three hours in the experience, but it is my recommendation for you to allow more time than that... We were only half way done as of three hours in. Depending on your degree of fandom/interest, you could easily spend closer to six hours there like we did. There are some interactive elements and a few neat photo/video ops (some free and some up-charge). But what is truly amazing about this place is just how much detail is revealed, not only in the making of these films, but in the attention to detail that was put into the design. In theme parks, we recognize the outstanding achievements of parks that bury little details in the background to be discovered... But in film, it almost seems gratuitous to take the time, money and effort to layer detail into the background of scenes that a viewer will never get close to... And yet, it is without question a feat that those involved in the making of these films gone the extra mile to pour writing, labels, background effects and overflowing detail in every corner. That is what makes this experience so surprising--the level of discovery to be had within.
1.JPG
Quite the entrance statement... Some notable statues from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
2.JPG
Once inside, you walk down this long hall covered with notable quotes from the films...
3.JPG
Most people know this one.
4.JPG
The Triward Cup from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is prominently displayed at the entrance of the exhibit space.
5.JPG
Harry's original room under the stairs is among the first things you see upon arrival inside...
6.JPG
It has been preserved from the films.
7.JPG
I won't give away the reveal that takes place before this moment (no photographs allowed) because it is honestly quite an amazing moment.
8.JPG
The Great Hall is one of the most impressive portions of the entire tour. The detail within is overwhelming. The space receives various holiday overlays throughout the year but during our visit, it was set up in the normal way.
9.JPG
It is doubtful you ever saw this fireplace up close in any of the films, but the detail on the Hogwarts crest and the fake fire effect is incredibly impressive!
10.JPG
The age spell surrounding the Goblet of Fire is recreated here for guests to attempt to cross.
11.JPG
All of Hogwarts' most well known professors are at the front of the Great Hall, positioned where their actors stood when filming.
12.JPG
It is always impressive to see how many different creative minds have been involved in these films.
13.JPG
It is easy to forget the Chris Columbus, the director of Home Alone 1 & 2 was also the director of the first two Harry Potter films.
14.JPG
It is amazing to see just how many props were created for single shots in these films. These props were used as a part of the decor for the Yule Ball scene in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
15.JPG
Fans of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Florida will recognize the Leaky Cauldron, which has been recreated in Florida.
17.JPG
A full map of the total experience.
18.JPG
One fact that surprised me was that the costuming team for the final two Harry Potter films (Deathly Hallows Parts 1 & 2) created a progression of faded costumes for Harry and Voldemort that represented their respective journeys from the start to end of these two films. Voldemort's robes are dark and defined at the beginning and faded at the end where Harry's colors are subtle at the start and bold by the end... The two characters switch the scales in strength from start to finish, a detail that most would not likely pick up on as purposeful when watching the films.
19.JPG
The moving staircase and the talking portraits can be seen here.
20.JPG
This practical effect makes it look like the water is flowing freely, but in reality the prop features a series of transparent colored pipes that contain the flowing water.
21.JPG
The Gryffindor Boys Dormatory set is small and charming on the inside...
22.JPG
But getting to see how it was assembled from the outside, shows that is a much larger set piece that you'd expect.
23.JPG
There were no shortage of unique wands created for these films.
24.JPG
The Mirror of Erised.
25.JPG
One of my favorite pieces in the entire tour...
26.JPG
It may seem obvious but the invisibility cloak effect was achieved by chromakey.
27.JPG
Some of the details that were in the background in the films and minor points in the books have gone on to have a significant presence in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park lands around the world. Pumpkin Juice is an example of this, and the packaging is incredibly accurate in the parks compared to what was used on screen.
28.JPG
Gorgeous!
29.JPG
The entrance to Dumbledore's office...
30.JPG
If you've experienced Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey's queue, you're likely familiar with this view.
31.JPG
The set for Dumbledore's office is perfectly recreated in the parks.
32.JPG
The Dumbledore family has a connection to phoenixes... This is elaborated upon in the latest Fantastic Beasts film.
33.JPG
The memories Dumbledore extracts are kept in vials here in his office...
34.JPG
Though you never get this close to them onscreen, it is amazing to see in person the written detail of the labels on each of the vials.
35.JPG
Looking into my own memories...
36.JPG
The egg prop from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is neat to see in person.
37.JPG
Some key, smaller props from the films.
38.JPG
The prop that started it all...
39.JPG
Another major prop from the first film.
40.JPG
Troll armor, something you see more of in Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Florida.
41.JPG
Skelegrow is another recognizable prop from the films.
42.JPG
Voldemorts many horcruxes.
43.JPG
Snape's potions class...
44.JPG
Each vial has its own unique label and ingredients inside.
45.JPG
Another look at how the talking portraits inside of Hogwarts are made.
46.JPG
Hagrid's Hut is surprisingly a pretty small set.
47.JPG
Though it looks bigger on the inside.
48.JPG
A focus on the moving, practical props from the films.
49.JPG
You have the ability to fly on a broom in front of a green screen to take pictures and to make a video...
50.jpeg
I had to get one.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure (HP2)

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:00 pm

(Continued)
51.JPG
A few more major props that were used in front of a green screen.
52.JPG
The doorway to the Chamber of Secrets is an entirely practical prop, despite it looking so fluid. Seeing it move in person is unreal!
53.JPG
The Womping Willow beating the car is another practical effect that is amazing to watch.
54.JPG
The Weasley residence...
55.JPG
The many set pieces were accompanied by costumed mannequins with matching the placement of their respective characters from the film scenes.
56.JPG
Tom Riddle's grave.
57.JPG
The Black Family tree.
58.JPG
Dolores Umbridge's office...
59.JPG
The iconic statue from the Ministry of Magic.
60.JPG
I've seen these gates before!
61.JPG
Time to go into the Forbidden Forest!
62.JPG
Buckbeak is here in the form of a gorgeous animatronic.
63.JPG
Aragog is here too.
64.JPG
For guests looking for an extra souvenir, this passport and stamp experience can be enjoyed throughout the tour.
65.JPG
It is a neat little takeaway for sure.
66.JPG
Another huge space...
67.JPG
Most people will recognize the image of the Hogwarts Express... This is the one used for all of the stationary filming for the Harry Potter films.
68.JPG
Amazing how similar the end result was for the version at Universal Studios Florida.
69.JPG
Neat little photo op.
70.JPG
Time to go in!
71.JPG
You can actually see the various passenger cabins onboard the train. The experience is perfectly recreated in Florida--I didn't realize it until I saw this in person.
72.JPG
The costumes of Harry, Ginny, Hermione and Ron from the epilogue scene at the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.
73.JPG
Harry and Ron on the Hogwarts Express during their first trip to Hogwarts.
74.JPG
So many of these treats from the trolley are now available for sale in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
75.JPG
A recognizable piece of imagery from the chase through London scene.
76.JPG
Halfway through the tour, you'll find a place to indulge in your inevitable craving for Butterbeer.
77.JPG
Classic Butterbeer and Butterbeer Ice Cream are both available for purchase... I did find them each to taste a little different than their stateside counterparts but both were still great.
78.JPG
There is an outdoor section of the tour that features full size sets from the films including the Knight Bus and the Privet Drive house...
79.JPG
You can walk through the Privet Drive house where Harry grew up...
80.JPG
Despite being a full size home on the exterior, only portions of the first floor are built out.
81.JPG
Harry's cupboard under the stairs is here...
82.JPG
Details...
83.JPG
Such a cool scene to see in person.
84.JPG
A behind the scenes look at how sets are built and weathered to look like brick homes...
85.JPG
The long covered bridge from Hogwarts is outside and available to be walked for photo ops.
86.JPG
Godrick's Hollow where Harry's parents were killed is also here.
87.JPG
More chess pieces from the finale of the first film.
88.JPG
John Cleese's prop head from his role as Nearly-Headless Nick in the first two films.
89.JPG
There are informative digital presentations throughout the second half of the tour featuring Warwick Davis who played several roles in the Harry Potter film franchise (and in the production of Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts at Universal Studios Florida).
90.JPG
A look at how some of the creatures of the Wizarding World were created using animatronics...
91.JPG
Shades of the Monster Horror Makeup Show in Florida...
92.JPG
The Hogs Head should be familiar to many fans of the parks.
93.JPG
More animatronic creatures from the films.
94.JPG
Animatronic innards.
95.JPG
Having fun being Dobby.
96.JPG
Park fans might recognize this dragon.
97.JPG
Another prop carefully recreated in Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.
98.JPG
Some Mad Eye Mooney props.
99.JPG
I've officially found my spirit animal.
100.JPG
The decapitated head of the basilisk is mounted on the wall...
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure (HP3)

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:00 pm

(Continued)
101.JPG
In the home stretch... Or rather, the hat stretch.
102.JPG
Diagon Alley is one of the largest set pieces in the tour.
103.JPG
Years ago when Diagon Alley opened in Florida, we had the chance to talk to the stars of the film franchise and they all expressed their amazement with seeing these very sets turned into a fully immersive environment. I didn't realize how much of a different there was between the two until I saw this set for myself.
104.JPG
Interestingly enough, the facades and the placement of the shops isn't exactly the same throughout the land.
105.JPG
Lots of detail to take in though.
106.JPG
Florean Fortescue's is very different here... And sadly I couldn't get any Salted Caramel Blondie/Apple Crumble mix ice cream.
108.JPG
This I recognize!
109.JPG
One last look...
110.JPG
Moving on to the paper craft and models section of the tour.
111.JPG
Really neat to see the design part of the process here.
112.JPG
I didn't realize this actually existed outside of the parks.
113.JPG
Pretty impressive!
114.JPG
Lots of cool things to see.
115.JPG
These models helped the filmmakers to prepare for their cinematography in these scenes before the sets had been built.
116.JPG
Sight lines are important.
117.JPG
Having seen the full sized, practical set piece, this was neat to see the earliest stage three dimensional model.
118.JPG
Detail.
119.JPG
The scene conceptualized here looked pretty spot on in the final product.
120.JPG
And now the grand finale... The Hogwarts Castle model used for all aerial imagery in the films...
121.JPG
It is huge, the lighting is dramatic and the detail is unreal. You get to circle around the castle as you descend towards the exit.
122.JPG
Another Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey locale.
123.JPG
Just incredible.
124.JPG
The exit is like the end credits to a film...
125.JPG
Each of the wand boxes represents the name of someone involved in the films...
126.JPG
See if you can spot the notable ones.
127.JPG
Lots to be found here.
128.JPG
Pretty cool.
129.JPG
The smaller version of the Triward Cup from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is displayed at the exit.
130.JPG
The gift shop features many of the candies from the parks plus a few that we don't have stateside.
131.JPG
PYGMY PUFFS!!!
132.JPG
BOWTRUCKLE!
133.JPG
There was a small section dedicated to the upcoming Fantastic Beasts film as well.
134.JPG
The Harry Potter Studio Tour does see several seasonal events and overlays to change things up throughout the year.
135.JPG
It may surprise you to hear that the exhibit is growing significantly still. According to one guide we met, the tour will nearly double in size in the next five years!
136.JPG
On the way back to London proper, I saw a credit... And I happily passed it by without stopping... Because credits aren't important.
137.JPG
Stopping off at Camden Market...
138.JPG
This is apparently a really well known place, but I really don't like cereal or milk, so I passed.
139.JPG
POFFERTJES!
140.JPG
After years of seeing Robb & Elissa hype these, I was glad to get to try this deliciousness myself!
141.JPG
Back in Picadilly, we decided to catch a cheap show through TKTS... But before then, dinner! And no, I didn't go to dinner at Bubba Gumps... But I did buy a shot glass while I was there.
142.JPG
If you're ever in Picadilly, I would strongly recommend going to Baby Bao.
143.JPG
Time to see Matilda for the first time!
144.JPG
Our cast for the night...
145.JPG
And our Matilda!
146.JPG
The show was really fun! The cast (primarily the kids) were all really awesome and the sets were fun and inventive. Definitely worth the visit if you have the chance!
147.JPG
A great end to a fantastic day!

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure

Postby jlp94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:18 pm

I f :lmao: ckin loved the Harry Potter tour when I visited England in June! Glad to see you did too! Great photos
Top 10 Steel: 1. Expedition GeForce 2. Steel Vengeance 3. Storm Chaser 4. X2 5. Twisted Colossus 6. Nemesis 7. Millennium Force 8. Maverick 9. Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast 10. Raptor
Top 10 Wood: 1. Lightning Rod 2. Voyage 3. Goliath 4. Boss 5. Cornball Express 6. Screamin' Eagle 7. Legend 8. Thunderhead 9. American Thunder 10. American Eagle

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 am

Awesome report! Will definitely have to visit this place whenever I eventually get to England.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:09 am

Great report as always Adam, I'm not the biggest Potter fan but I'd love to check that out if I'm ever in London. I wonder if the expansion is going to be just more of the same type of exhibits or if they're going to add anything else.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:44 pm

After our time at the Harry Potter Studio Tour London and Matilda, it was time to begin the portion of our trip dedicated to exploring London... While throwing in a few touristy attractions and lots of good food! We started with The London Dungeon and were off!
1.JPG
Take note of the Buckingham Palace advertisement...
2.JPG
Our next morning started out with a visit to the London Eye complex...
4.JPG
While we wouldn't be riding the Eye until later the next night, it was neat to see this iconic attraction up close during the day.
25.JPG
Stopped off for a quick bit at The Breakfast Club for a fine cup of coffee...
26.JPG
And a very atypical breakfast.
5.JPG
This was why we were here...
6.JPG
I'd always been intrigued by the concept of The London Dungeon. The first attraction of its kind to open in stateside opened in San Francisco which we haven't been to yet, so this was the closest I was going to get to experiencing a Merlin Dungeon.
7.JPG
There's no photos or videos allowed inside but I was pleasantly surprised to see this experience presented as a linear flow of shows and attractions rather than an indoor park that you could choose to skip and revisit offerings as you saw fit. Unfortunately The Tyrant Boat Ride was closed for refurbishment, but getting to experience all of the mini-shows was fun... Keep in mind, there's lots of plague and toilet humor involved, so this is definitely not a family attraction for those under the age of 13 (Shrek's Adventure next door appears to follow the same model as the London Dungeon with a lighter content) and probably better for guests in their late teens and above. Overall, I expected roughly an hour and a half and we were in the Dungeon for close to 2.5 hours. The closest comparison I can make is to a house at Halloween Horror Nights with little shows in each room with scares and effects in each show.
8.jpeg
One ride that was open was Drop Dead, a hanging-themed drop ride that rather than lifting you up to drop you roughly 15 feet, actually loads from the top and drops in darkness briefly before returning to the loading platform (the floor retracts). It was a fun little pop of air that my wife had no intention of joining me for.
9.jpeg
There are a few fun photo opportunities to enjoy here.
10.JPG
We considered checking out Shrek's Adventure since we enjoyed the unique style of the London Dungeon, but since the attraction took longer than we expected, we opted to save more time for city sightseeing.
11.JPG
Parliament and Big Ben are really sights to be seen. Big Ben was being refurbished during our visit, but having seen it before, I am enamored with the entire architectural complex surrounding it.
12.JPG
Sea Life is also a part of the London Eye complex... It was easy to see how the original conceit of the Orlando Eye complex came together with the Eye, Sea Life and Tussaud's (also nearby in London) being so closely located. I'm just bummed a Dungeon style attraction hasn't made its way to Central Florida yet.
13.JPG
It was odd not seeing the aftermath of the Silver Surfer's visit here... It must've taken a lot of effort to fill the gaping hole in the Thames after that moment in history.
14.JPG
And we're... moving on.
15.JPG
It wouldn't be a London trip report without a photo of this sign from somewhere.
16.JPG
Westminster Abbey is gorgeous...
17.JPG
But unfortunately no photos allowed inside.
18.JPG
London has no shortage of gorgeous, storied structures in a very short distance from each other.
19.JPG
My wife had great interest in visiting royal establishments during our trip... So to the Mews we went!
20.JPG
Royal carriages aplenty here...
21.JPG
Almost gold leaf as I've consumed at Amorette's Patisserie at Disney Springs.
22.JPG
About as close as you can get to the Royal Steeds but still neat.
23.JPG
This is stunning.
24.JPG
I feel like this is a water fountain at the Italy Pavilion in Epcot.
27.JPG
Next up was Afternoon Tea at Fortnum & Mason. We originally figured Harrod's would be the place to go but we were recommended to go here instead... Pictured here is one of the best tea's I've ever tasted... So I bought some to bring home!
28.JPG
The best part of the experience? Everything was all you care to enjoy!
29.JPG
(With the exception of this beauty...) This lobster omelette (topped with fresh truffle) was easily one of the best things I've ever consumed. Legit tears during consumption.
30.JPG
Not as much gold leaf as I've consumed at Amorette's Patisserie at Disney Springs, but delicious all the same.
31.JPG
I was in fine food HEAVEN!
32.JPG
Like Harrod's, Fortnum & Mason is like a retail playground with fresh foods, sweets, ice cream, tea, clothing, accessories... This place was simply insane.

And here's lots of Turkish Delight.
33.JPG
We had a lot of macaroons this trip.
34.JPG
Iberico Ham just waiting to be carved on demand. I nearly cried.
35.JPG
A Scotch Egg bar. London has Orlando beat.
36.JPG
Can't escape American football even in England.
37.JPG
Famous places with famous signage.
38.JPG
After such success with TKTS the night before with Matilda, after that show we decided to run back to see what else we could get... And we landed on Kinky Boots.
39.JPG
We simply weren't prepared for how AMAZING this show was. The music and energy of the show is infectious and the message is a wonderful one. If you haven't had the chance to see Kinky Boots, I would HIGHLY recommend it!
40.JPG
Such a phenomenal cast!
41.JPG
After the show we ran over to Chinatown to experience Opium, a speakeasy themed to the Orient with each rooming hosting a different menu and style inspired by a varying region of China.
42.JPG
The atmosphere here was wonderful.
43.JPG
All of the drinks were regionally inspired with unique ingredients and clever presentations. It was all wonderfully overwhelming.
44.JPG
My smoky mezcal drink was easily the best of its kind that I've had and the presentation was fantastically aromatic.
45.JPG
My wife's drink included safe and vodka and it came with a sugar paint and a sugar wafer that could be painted, dipped in the drink and then consumed! It was amazing!
46.JPG
Being conveniently located in London's Chinatown, we were able to order dumplings and shu mai... Later that night we saw runners carrying these steam trays from their restaurants up to Opium, which was pretty neat!
47.JPG
My third drink was bourbon based but came with a multi-grain cracker and a sugar-printed butterfly, all of which was safe for consumption... I was in a great place by the end of our time at Opium and it was a great note to end a fantastic day on.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Great report! I've always wanted to try one of these dungeon attractions.

Also thanks for reminding me that Silver Surfer movie exists. :?r
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Galaxyland & World Waterpark

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:30 am

Great report as always, I remember visiting the London Dungeon as a kid (maybe not the best attraction for a 10 year old but I think I turned out okay) and just being blow away by it. Would love to experience it again as an adult and see if it's as much fun as I remember.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:15 pm

That is a fantastic day in London! All the noms look amazing!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!