TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

If this is true and, I don't doubt it, it just further highlights that SEAS has the worst public relations people on the planet. I don't know whether the parks have individual PR responsibilities or if it falls under corporate. Either way it has been a complete mess over the past few years due to cutbacks. Generating positive news for your entity through public relations is not brain surgery.

I'm not saying big promotional campaigns and teasers are needed. but major media outlets covering you demographic area should be notified and your socials needed to be used to announce and promote big news.

I've been targeted by a lot of their Facebook ads and those seem to be pretty well made ads. The discussions in the comments tend to be pretty good too. What you're talking about might be old media. It seems like they're doing a pretty good job with new media.

I feel like SeaWorld has finally (a few years too late) done a good job when it comes to marketing their animal experiences and rescue work but when it comes to marketing new rides they're woefully bad.

Can only speak to SWO, but it seems like they've upped their game for making it appealing for adults to go to drink and eat specialty stuff. So they're basically following an EPCOT model. I'll never object to parks pushing alcohol and appealing to young professionals. No beer jail, you can pretty much take your craft beer in line with you, and put it in the cubbie while you ride your rides.

SeaWorld San Diego has officially announced that Mako, a new floorless dive coaster will open at park in 2020!

90.thumb.jpeg.a3d23a842e7b2c0512b6b44dcdf7ed97.jpeg

https://www.10news.com/lifestyle/exploring-san-diego/seaworld-san-diego-says-new-dive-coaster-mako-coming-in-2020?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

SeaWorld San Diego is adding another roller coaster to its thrill ride lineup.

SeaWorld officials announced Monday that the Mako dive coaster will open at the San Diego park in 2020. Officials are calling the Mako the “tallest, fastest and longest dive coaster in California, as well as the only floorless dive coaster in the state.”

The ride, which will be built by Switzerland-based Bollinger & Mabillard, will climb over 150 feet into the air while riders’ feet dangle and suspend on a 45-degree angle at the crown of the ride before plummeting down a 143-foot facedown vertical drop at speeds above 60 mph.

The Mako ride will cover nearly 2,500 feet of track, with each floorless car able to hold 18 riders in three six-person rows.

Park officials said the ride will be located next to the Journey to Atlantis ride, in an area of the park that is currently a parking lot.

According to officials, the Mako “will focus on shark awareness and conservation, and will include a partnership with a shark conservation organization.”

The announcement comes months after the park opened the Electric Eel ride and revealed plans to open the Tidal Twister ride this summer.

I feel like SeaWorld has finally (a few years too late) done a good job when it comes to marketing their animal experiences and rescue work but when it comes to marketing new rides they're woefully bad.

You're correct. Today was a perfect example. I sign up to get e-mail "news" from practically every park I visit. Today in my e-mail I get a message from SWSD about naming a newborn dolphin calf, but it takes them two days to contact news outlets about a major ride addition.

I've been targeted by a lot of their Facebook ads and those seem to be pretty well made ads. The discussions in the comments tend to be pretty good too. What you're talking about might be old media. It seems like they're doing a pretty good job with new media.

If you are getting the targeted ads on Facebook that is the role of their advertising Agency. Public Relations entails SeaWorld (or their PR Agency) contacting all media outlets with a press release, essentially a pre-written story about a newsworthy event that both old media (newspapers. TV) and new media (digital sites/influencers/bloggers) can report.

Edited by larrygator

Well, that's a pleasant surprise! It's not one of the coaster types I'm most excited about, but it's a solid addition that will make the park more complete for thrill-seekers like us, and a better incentive for me to get back there than just Electric Eel.

(I did enjoy Valravn, for what it's worth, which helps ease my mind about the lower desirability of the vest restraints this will likely have, even though I'm not a fan of them.)

Huge surprise!!! This is great news!! Another news channel in San Diego, KUSI, is reporting it will have an Immelmann loop, barrel roll, hammerhead turn, and a flat spin. Sounds like an impressive little layout. Also of note is the 2,500 feet of track that seems to be the longest of the smaller dive coasters!

I personally love B&M Dive coasters. This was kinda out of left field since it wasn't included in any prior released document. Nevertheless I'm super stoked for this ride and it has moved SWSD up from a "I'll go one day" park to probably something I'll plan for in 2020-21. Definitely will try to include this park on my next SoCal trip!

Sounds like a solid addition! They definitely could use another coaster in their lineup.

From people who have been on the B&M dive coasters over 200 ft and some of the shorter, ~150 ft coasters, how do the shorter ones compare? I've only been on SheiKra, Griffon, and Valravn. Out of the three, SheiKra is my favorite and the shortest one, but still 200 ft.

I personally love B&M Dive coasters. This was kinda out of left field since it wasn't included in any prior released document. Nevertheless I'm super stoked for this ride and it has moved SWSD up from a "I'll go one day" park to probably something I'll plan for in 2020-21. Definitely will try to include this park on my next SoCal trip!

I've never understand why enthusiasts hate dive coasters so much. Shiekra is at my home park so I know it pretty well (rode Griffin and Valravn before but don't remember them that well). With Shiekra, what's not to love about two intense weightless drops, an immelman with hangtime, a tunnel, and a water splash effect?

Dive coasters are always a blast and they would be a great addition to basically any park.

Totally agree, dive coasters are just plain fun and the GP absolutely loves them. This a a great addition to SWSD and I really like the direction the park is going. And a B&M dive is different enough from Hangtime that it will be a completely new experience for most people.

I've never understand why enthusiasts hate dive coasters so much. Shiekra is at my home park so I know it pretty well (rode Griffin and Valravn before but don't remember them that well). With Shiekra, what's not to love about two intense weightless drops, an immelman with hangtime, a tunnel, and a water splash effect?

Not so sure, I think a lot of enthusiasts still just get caught up in "bigger, faster, better" and don't stop to just enjoy each ride for what it is and what it brings to the park it's in. I have been on 4 dive coasters and love each one and I'm looking forward to this as much as I'm looking forward to Yukon Striker at CW.

The other thing we should be excited about is what rides like this symbolize for the direction the SW parks are headed. It appears that rides and coasters will be a focus to get these parks...caught up let's say in the rides department. We already know 2019 and 2020 will be exciting years for the SW and BG properties, the next ten or so could be a very exciting period of growth.

The other thing we should be excited about is what rides like this symbolize for the direction the SW parks are headed. It appears that rides and coasters will be a focus to get these parks...caught up let's say in the rides department. We already know 2019 and 2020 will be exciting years for the SW and BG properties, the next ten or so could be a very exciting period of growth.

The implications of this are interesting for sure. SWSD has never really been on the map as far as rides go yet is one of my absolute favorite parks. It's a shame the animals don't carry the park anymore. With all these new rides the overall feel of the park will definitely change; it's already different than it was before. But ultimately it's for the better and I definitely don't see Seaworld getting rid of any animal exhibits, even in the long term (except for, of course, when all the Orcas die). If we see a couple more rides over the next 10 years then SW will definitely corner the market on the San Diego area, though, and I think the park will start seeing a lot more success.

The implications of this are interesting for sure. SWSD has never really been on the map as far as rides go yet is one of my absolute favorite parks. It's a shame the animals don't carry the park anymore. With all these new rides the overall feel of the park will definitely change; it's already different than it was before. But ultimately it's for the better and I definitely don't see Seaworld getting rid of any animal exhibits, even in the long term (except for, of course, when all the Orcas die). If we see a couple more rides over the next 10 years then SW will definitely corner the market on the San Diego area, though, and I think the park will start seeing a lot more success.

I'll never argue with prioritizing coasters over sushi ingredients. But I do appreciate any touch to make a park better. I think caring for animals is just way too expensive and impractical for a private company interested in making a profit, and you really need a government grant to make it work.

Didn't expect a new large coaster for San Diego! Great news indeed. Glad to see another B&M make it's way relatively close. I like the direction the park is heading. Oddly enough, kind of heading towards resembling SFDK.

Great addition for a park that needed another decent coaster.

I like raising awareness about any animals, but I've always been a shark enthusiast since Jaws scared the shit out of me many moons ago as a kid. lol

And as others have said - you simply can't go wrong with a dive coaster. They're fun and the GP loves them.