TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Mexico (SFM) Discussion Thread

• 4 months later...

To anyone who has been to the park recently, are both Medusa and Wonder Woman not on the Flash Pass? Based on the park map and the pages for those two rides, it doesn't appear so.

I wanted to check though since I remember Medusa had the Flash Pass last year when I visited. Admittedly it was an awkward set-up where you had to go through half the main queue before you reached the Flash Pass line though. I just hope Medusa is running a bit better this time around.

It will 6+ years since I went there (with TPR) and boy do I miss it!

One of The Best Six Flags parks, IMhO, that I can remember. It also had,

surprisingly, both a pretty good SLC AND a just as good Boomerang, too!

Miss you SF:M

IMG_1705.thumb.JPG.c5e88884500c6c6fd1f24416fac3b638.JPG

This one really surprised me, comfortably! (o; TPR 2013 Mexico Tour.

^ Their SLC had incredible dispatch speeds and pretty good theming around it, but it was still a very unpleasant experience. It may have been a bit smoother than your average SLC, but it still bashed my head around.

The Boomerang was decent though.

^ Well, between then (2013) and now (2019) anything's possible.

But back then, the Batman SLC was a really smooth (to me) ride.

And the Boomerang was great, too. Back then. I was impressed.

^ Forgot those! They were awesome to go through, too!

CoasterNo.600_MedusaSixFlagsMexico.JPG.2bd5b0faf42586565499efa2b08d49d5.JPG

My #600 ~ Before it became Twisty Snakes! Great queue. (o; TPR Mexico Tour ~ March 24, 2013.

And my thing about numbersss? I rode my No.600 - 6 Days - before I turned - 60! :smile:

Thinking of taking a quick trip there this spring/summer.

How far is it from the airport? And what's the safest way to get there? I see taxis available but not sure how reliable.

Also, is there a decent hotel nearby?

And finally, what are the crowds like? Any need for FlashPass?

Thanks to anyone who's been to this park!

I went last year on a Friday before Cinco de Mayo (and I'll actually be there again in a week).

I used Uber last time and plan to use it again. It's super cheap in Mexico (I think it was $10-15 USD for a 1-1.5 hour ride). Plus Mexico City traffic is really bad so at least you know the fixed rate with Uber. For safety, Uber tells you how many rides your driver has given so I'd like to think a driver who has given 1000+ rides won't break bad all of the sudden. Uber also has a feature where they can let someone else know when you've arrived.

The pick up and drop off point at the Mexico City Airport is clearly marked. The pick up point by Six Flags was a bit uncomfortable. You are picked up on the street just outside the parking lot entrance and it's a complete cluster of cars and buses. The latter were aggressively trying to get me to board.

I stayed in downtown Mexico City last time in what I believe was their financial district. It was a very nice hotel and reminiscent of the financial districts you've seen in the US. This time I'm staying at the airport for convenience. I remember seeing hotels close to Six Flags, but (maybe I'm wrong) the buildings nearby looked a bit rundown so I'd be hesitant to stay there.

Crowdwise, Six Flags Mexico can get pretty busy. Their Flash Pass is a bit different and an amazing deal. For $20 USD, you get 10 skip the line vouchers you can use on any eligible ride. You can use this on the same ride repeatedly or different ones. Unfortunately Medusa appears to be off the Flash Pass now and it had one of the longest waits in the park.

From what I saw, most people rope drop Superman since it's at the front so if you go to Medusa early, you can marathon it before the line builds. The line also cleared out at the end of the day. Meanwhile Superman was consistently a 30-60 minute wait all day, but on the Flash Pass.

I hope you enjoy it because Six Flags Mexico has a nice one-two punch and is one of the best looking Six Flags parks. The theming in their queues is surprisingly great.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on Medusa.

It's not listed on the website, but Medusa is still on the Flash Pass.

They have made another Frankentrain. They put the orange lead car on the front of the red train. They also removed the back car again so Medusa only has a 5 car train.

On the bright side, it's running so much faster than last year and they have a 10 man crew dispatching trains in 30 seconds.

I'm so confused right now.

IMG_20190122_101556.thumb.jpg.ce5ef6039c3c4547795ca2fa588e36d8.jpg

This is some German fair circuit stuff right now.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys!

I'm just doing some fact-finding for a potential Mexico City trip in a few months. I'm assuming the answer is "no" because it's Six Flags, but do they have a ride refurbishment schedule anywhere? I assume that they take rides down from time-to-time since it's a year-round park. I didn't see one but maybe I'm blind.

Since Christmas in the Park runs through mid-to-late January I was thinking about doing a trip towards the end of the event. Is that still a pretty busy time or is that sort of their slow season? I'm actually sort of hoping to hear the former since I assume that means there's less of a chance of anything noteworthy being down for refurb.

In addition, any fun suggestions for things to do in Mexico City aside from parks would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

^ I went about a week after HITP ended this year. There was no rehab schedule, but it was definitely a slower time since the coasters only ran one train. The only things closed were the free spin, the rapids, and the kids area (the latter due to construction).

In both visits, the park has been packed so definitely get a Flash Pass since it's like $15 to skip 10 rides.

Driving in Mexico City is like the traffic of NYC with nonsensical roadways so I strongly recommend Uber since it's so cheap.

La Feria is nearby. They do have some rare rides, but that place has some of the worst ops I've ever seen. They have staggered openings and could close every major thrill ride with no warning.

I recommend you to visit the park on the second or third week of january, most schools have already started classes and you won't find the park packed.

If you go on a friday or sunday you will find good 2-train ops and is least likely for them to close rides for maintenance (they usually do that from monday to wednesday).

About La Feria, although they have made great improvements to the park and it's operations throughout this year, it's still slow compared to SF, and the park is too crowded on weekends no matter what time of the year is it. My suggestion is for you to visit La Feria on a wednesday or thursday, most rides are walk-ons!

I live in Mexico City, so don't hesitate to ask me for any local advise you need

I recommend you to visit the park on the second or third week of january, most schools have already started classes and you won't find the park packed.

If you go on a friday or sunday you will find good 2-train ops and is least likely for them to close rides for maintenance (they usually do that from monday to wednesday).

About La Feria, although they have made great improvements to the park and it's operations throughout this year, it's still slow compared to SF, and the park is too crowded on weekends no matter what time of the year is it. My suggestion is for you to visit La Feria on a wednesday or thursday, most rides are walk-ons!

I live in Mexico City, so don't hesitate to ask me for any local advise you need

Thanks so much! It's awesome to hear from a local and I may pick your brain a bit between now and the trip.

We're booked for the weekend of the 11th and 12th because we assume that it will still be Christmas in the Park and we want it to be Christmas in the Park because I love theme park Christmas events. If that means we have to buy Flash Pass I'm actually okay with that trade-off.

Does going to La Feria on a weekend increase the likelihood of them actually running everything?

Also, I don't want to hijack the thread but if you have any non-theme-park related tips on things to do, let me know. Teotihuacan is definitely on the list.

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome!

Christmas in the Park lasts until the third week of January, that would be the 19th so you will catch it for sure, and the flash pass for 10 rides costs between $15 and $30 USD depending on the demand of the day.

About La Feria, yes, going on weekends increases the chances of them running everything, although operations tend to be slow.

There's a new small park built on top of a mall in the south-east part of the city, near Xochimilco, called "Kataplum!" that features a Vekoma Family Inverted Coaster, a Spinning Wild Mouse and many other fun rides:

kataplum-m%C3%A9xico.jpg

About non-park related things to do, it really depends what you're into. Teotihuacan is a must-visit definitely.

Chapultepec Park is beautiful, and you can visit many atractions there besides La Feria like the Anthropology Museum, the Chapultepec Castle and the lakes:

chapultepec.jpg

Castillo-de-Chapultepec.jpg

Near Chapultepec is the luxurious Polanco neighborhood, there you will find Plaza Carso, home of the Soumaya art museum and Acuario Inbursa (the biggest aquarium in Latin America, which is completely underground):

In the west part of the city, also close-ish to Chapultepec is Parque La Mexicana, a relatively new urban park with fantastic views but not really much to do:

BUSOLINEA_LA_MEXICANA_gobierno_CDMX.jpg?fit=fit&fm=jpg&h=150&ixlib=php-1.2.1&w=150

Those are the places that come to mind, don't hesitate to ask me for more specific recommendations!