Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 130 - Six Flags 2019 Announcements
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Re: Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

Postby DirkFunk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 am

I never carry my pass - I've got it on my phone, so why bother? It's inevitable that they'll go that route. You can order by app and pick up at McDonalds or Little Caesars, for crying out loud. Only a matter of time with theme parks.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:10 am

DirkFunk wrote:Then they can move the staff back to primarily working on making it.

... or just cut those positions entirely and keep churning out food at the same glacial pace that they do now. My money is on that option.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:16 am

coasterbill wrote:
DirkFunk wrote:Then they can move the staff back to primarily working on making it.

... or just cut those positions entirely and keep churning out food at the same glacial pace that they do now. My money is on that option.

But you would think that if you're going to cut back on any staff, that you shouldn't be doing it for the stuff where people are actually willing to hand over their money to you.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:29 am

bert425 wrote:^ sorry, but no. Disagree with you completely based on my experiences.

the sheer number of times we've been stuck behind someone trying to find their Membership (if they don't have that hanging lanyard), or dig a pass out of their wallet. . or the sheer number of times, the scan doesn't work?

back up the lines in every store/food service place.

cash is oh so much faster, and for a place like Six Flags to go completely cashless would be a huge mistake.

Disney? (where they load everything on a Magic Band that everyone wears on their wrists?). . . yep, perfectly fine with it at a place that's used to dealing with huge amounts of people and invests in the technology to make it work.

but Six Flags? nope. .don't want a cashless park

Agreed. We had quite a time on Tuesday trying to get our Dining plan to work, and had to hoof it back to Guest Services twice only for them to completely fail to get the dining plan to work and they had to issue us paper vouchers instead. Technology is one area where Six Flags can stand improvement, although I will say their app is fantastic. Only Disneyland has a better one, imo.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:35 am

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:But you would think that if you're going to cut back on any staff, that you shouldn't be doing it for the stuff where people are actually willing to hand over their money to you.

I've spent way too much time standing in beer lines at Great Adventure in the middle of the summer when the park is "fully staffed" wondering who I had to blow to get a beer as I watched the one incompetent bartender pour beer into the center of the cup with 99% head to think that they care about speeding up food and beverage service (and that's at a bar where nobody is using a dining plan and every single person is paying with cash or on a card and the profit margins are ridiculous).

You're right, but they don't care and they've never cared.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby pryonisys » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:41 am

coasterbill wrote:

I would agree with this completely.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:45 am

coasterbill wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:But you would think that if you're going to cut back on any staff, that you shouldn't be doing it for the stuff where people are actually willing to hand over their money to you.

I've spent way too much time standing in beer lines at Great Adventure in the middle of the summer when the park is "fully staffed" wondering who I had to blow to get a beer as I watched the one incompetent bartender pour beer into the center of the cup with 99% head to think that they care about speeding up food and beverage service (and that's at a bar where nobody is using a dining plan and every single person is paying with cash or on a card and the profit margins are ridiculous).

So it seems to me like if the general consensus on here is that Six Flags is in good shape financially, and they have some smart guys making decisions at the executive level that the logical conclusion is that they don't really give two shakes about auxiliary revenue from concessions and retail, and are perfectly happy making their money off of memberships, passes, and ticket sales. The armchair executives and armchair analysts always seem to obsess over in-park spending, but if SF really cared about that, they'd make sure that everybody who wanted to spend money in the park, could very quickly and easily.

In my opinion, there's a good chance that SF just really pulls in a ton of money getting people into the park, and that's enough to keep them happy.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:47 am

coasterbill wrote:

You're lucky. I have visited SFStL on busy summer weekends where they're fully staffed at there isn't a bartender at all. Anywhere at the whole park.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:02 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
coasterbill wrote:

You're lucky. I have visited SFStL on busy summer weekends where they're fully staffed at there isn't a bartender at all. Anywhere at the whole park.

Gotta love my Florida parks. Pretty much every park in the state that I've been to has no beer jail at all, and you can bring booze in line with you. The other day I brought put my beer in the cubbies at BGT when I was riding. Talk about the ultimate "hold my beer" experience. No beer jail at BGT, SWO, both Universals, all four Disneyparks, and both FunSpots. Not sure about Legoland and the other rando' kiddie parks.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:20 am

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:the logical conclusion is that they don't really give two shakes about auxiliary revenue from concessions and retail

I'm not willing to go that far, I just think they like to mitigate risk / overhead by keeping staffing levels at an absolute minimum. Do they lose out on some revenue on busy days by doing that? Probably. Do they make more money over the course of a long season? I have no idea.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!