Parks of the Deep South 2006 Photo Update!

SFOG, Myrtle Beach, White Water, MORE!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Parks of the Deep South 2006 Photo Update!

Postby robbalvey » Wed May 31, 2006 10:57 pm

Hey everyone!

We've just added a 14 page Photo Update from our insane travels in the deep south:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/south2006/sfog1.htm

While most everyone was in the mid-west over Memorial Day Weekend, we went down to the deep south, where it was a little quieter!

Overall, it was a GREAT trip! Goliath was a lot of fun. Probably my favorite of the B&M hyper coasters. The only thing one that could probably beat it would be a "brakeless" ride on Raging Bull (hasn't run like that since 2001!) While I had heard reports of "ejector" air all over the ride, we didn't find any, but we DID find a lot of strong "floater" air. If you want an example of ejector air, that could be found across the park at Cyclone! ;)

We headed off to Myrtle Beach to visit the Pavilion during it's closing season. We actually quite enjoyed this park. It wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't anything terrible, which were the reports we had heard. It kind of reminded me of Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The coaster, on the other hand, Hurricane, leaved a LOT to be desired. Wow, what a rough POS! The hills had a lot of airtime, but it was just so rough I was the only one in our group who bothered to take a second ride!

Then we went over to Family Kingdom, home of the Swamp Fox. Wow, what a DUMP this place is! Rivals Williams Grove, Conneaut Lake, and Little A-Merrick-A for some of the worst parks in the US I've been to. The coaster was "ok" but the entire place was like a day at Nara Dreamland. I'd say Family Kingdom is like the US version of "Rotunda." Pretty craptacular place. I wouldn't bother wasting my time to stop there once the Pavilion closes. The Swamp Fox isn't bad, but it's not worth the time, IMO.

We did some random credit whoring, a few stops of Carrabbas, and then we finally made it to Six Flags White Water in Georgia. A really NICE water park, IMO! Had a Tornado slide and a bunch of other cool, somewhat unique slides. Nice setting too. Well worth the visit if you want to do a water park while out visiting SFOG.

So we survived yet another park (Family Kingdom), "black biker week", really liked Goliath a lot, and got to see Joe's man boobs!!!

It was a pretty kick ass time for all.

Anyway, check out the photo update and then post your shocking responses!

Enjoy.

--Robb
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 pm.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:33 pm

Great trip report! Now you have me wanting some Varsity Burgers and Monster Plantation goodness - unfortunately they are 8 hours of the most boring drive in the universe away.

Dammit.

It's all about the Me-hi-cans

Postby smells_like_team_disney » Wed May 31, 2006 11:45 pm

Awesome update, Alveys! It's too bad about Myrtle Beach Pavillion. It really does look like a decent park. I gotta agree about that Giant Chicken... WTF? ::shock::

There be Me-hi-cans in R-Kansas.... who would've thought.

You just lost the game

Postby the sound » Wed May 31, 2006 11:52 pm

I saw on RCDB that there was some 'gay dolphin park' in that area. It says the coaster closed down a while ago, but does anyone know if the park still exists?

Anyway, nice photos. Looks like Six Flags makes pretty reasonable water parks, am i correct?

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Wed May 31, 2006 11:52 pm

And here I was the whole weekend doing nothing...when the beach is like 1.5-2 hours from me lol...

Jarvis "next time I can give you an indepth look at black bike week!" Morant
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed May 31, 2006 11:56 pm

jarmor wrote:Jarvis "next time I can give you an indepth look at black bike week!" Morant

Crap! I didn't even think about that! Dude, that would have ROCKED!!!

--Robb

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Screamomatic » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:18 am

Nice Update, looks like Goliath is fun... Anyway, I read the whole thing, how many points do I get?

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:28 am

OMG! The single most disturbing photo ever on TPR. You two should be proud! The only thing this man sandwich needs is a slice of deep fried Elissa in tha middle.
OMG1.jpg
I will sleep well tonight.

My That's A Big Drink!

Postby rollermonkey » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:11 am

^Guy, you suck!

You made me see that picture twice in one day?!?

:roll:

:lover:
Ooh, a vague reference! I'm flabbergasted!

That must be the fringe benefit of either:
a. attending the UK Trip,
b. driving you guys around Japan,
c. postwhoring my way to 650+ posts in May,
or
d. it wasn't about me, and I need to quit being so self centered, now shut up Monkey Boy!

Nice Photo TR, as always. However, if y'all don't stop putting up photos like THAT ONE^! I'm going to go blind soon!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Suga_Rush » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:32 am

Cool update guys! Cant wait to vist SFOG myself :)

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!