Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks for the photos! Can't wait for testing to start. Looks like a really fun ride.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:17 am

Cavan wrote:This post is for the Copperhead skeptics. I was once one of you, but laying eyes on this thing destroyed all my doubts.

I say this in a completely non confrontational way, but skeptical of what? It doesn't matter if it doesn't make your top ten, bro. It will still be fun. Shit, even Kentucky Kingdom's new roller coaster will be fun. We take no responsibility for neither the design, nor the construction of these rides.

Also, Six Flags St. Louis says STFU! (joking... kinda)

Thanks for the pictures, sir. Thanks for contributing so early in your TPR posts. Copperhead looks great. I'm really starting to think that Cedar Fair has a contract with Orange Paint Incorporated (OPI), but they're making it work.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:45 am

It is crazy how many of the recent Cedar Fair coasters have been orange or really dark red. Valravn, Rougarou, Railblazer, Yukon Striker, Copperhead Strike, Twisted Timbers, and Steel Vengeance all dark red or burnt orange. At least Hangtime was blue. :lol:
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

Postby prozach626 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:38 pm

The blue paint was a test product from OPI, but it was discontinued after not selling well.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:08 am

We’re down in South Carolina visiting Brit’s parents for Christmas and since they live about 10 minutes from Carowinds we finally broke down and checked out our first Cedar Fair Christmas event last night. We’re used to Six Flags so it’s nice to see another chain’s take on a Christmas event and we really enjoyed ourselves.

The lights were excellent and objectively a slight step up from what you would find at most Six Flags parks. They also seem to have singers and holiday characters at every turn and they went through the trouble of overlaying just about everything in the park for the holidays. Their merchandise game is also on point also with tons of ornaments and ugly sweaters (some of which were Carowinds themed).

On the flip side, while we knew about the limited ride lineup going in it’s very glaring. The real issue is that the park was absolutely slammed as people are (understandably) flocking to the park in droves but with such a limited ride lineup the queue for every ride was the longest I’ve ever seen it (though we haven’t attended Scarowinds). We waited about 45 minutes for the back row of Afterburn and aside from that just avoided rides as every queue seemed to be overflowing. Hopefully their overwhelming success prompts them to open a few more rides in the future. With crowds like that and nowhere for them to go the midways are insane.

That said, we had a great time and it’s a great way to spend a few hours. Previously the big Christmas events in the area were at the speedway and Mcadenville and while both are nice, they generally take a long time to get into and neither of them are as immersive or impressive as Winterfest. I wouldn’t suggest traveling for this event (especially not when SFOG and Dollywood exist where you can actually ride things) but if you’re in the area you should absolutely stop by. It’s a lot of fun.

0B34AB76-01A3-41A1-A25B-BB168DDB9CD5.jpeg
The lights are excellent

A7F49D3F-B9A4-4B10-9B2A-AC6A95CC58F8.jpeg
These look awesome in person. The camera makes the trees appear more visible than they really are. In reality it looks like they’re flying.

C269DBEE-CAE0-4EA9-B87D-060ABDBACC54.png
Lights for days

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:07 am

Great report! I agree 100% that Cedar Fair beats Six Flags on the lights and shows, but Six Flags is better in the ride department.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Funtown U.S.A. & Palace Playland

Postby coasterbill » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:31 am

Yeah, Six Flags is more of an all day event where this is just a place to spend a few hours. It’s very nice, but a totally different type of thing.

I liked Winterfest but I’d take Holiday in the Park any day, though I feel like in some aspects Six Flags could learn a lot from Cedar Fair (see: merchandise and selling those weird igloo cabana things).

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:50 am

coasterbill wrote:Yeah, Six Flags is more of an all day event where this is just a place to spend a few hours. It’s very nice, but a totally different type of thing.

I liked Winterfest but I’d take Holiday in the Park any day, though I feel like in some aspects Six Flags could learn a lot from Cedar Fair (see: merchandise and selling those weird igloo cabana things).

I think that the problem is that Six Flags just runs on a shoestring budget. While the sticker price for admission may be in line with Cedar Fair, they really sell some cut rate season passes. And as a result, most of the people who go to the parks are there with their season passes or part of special group rates. So many teenagers end up paying less than $10 per visit because or how cheap the passes are and how often their parents use SF as a babysitting service.

And it looks like Six Flags may be fine with it. They just put up some rides and coasters, put up a few posters for the "theming", understaff the park, and the financials balance themselves out.

Cedar Fair does charge more for admission, but the season passes are also realistic multiples of the single day tickets. So they end up making more per visitor, and can afford to spend more money to give the guest a better in-park experience.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:02 pm

What?

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:Cedar Fair does charge more for admission, but the season passes are also realistic multiples of the single day tickets. So they end up making more per visitor, and can afford to spend more money to give the guest a better in-park experience.

A more realistic multiple? What, 1.75 instead of 1.5? Most people don't buy CF Platinum passes.

Season pass prices are based on what the market itself demands in pricing and high per capita spending isn't necessarily relevant to the guest experience. In fact, it's a totally overrated and misunderstood metric that people hype. The last management crew that pushed increasing it finished the job of driving SF into bankruptcy.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!