TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planet Coaster (PLC) Discussion Thread

^You will love it. I've been playing RCT3 since the day it came out in 2004, so it was pretty hard for me to transition, but I have been playing solely Planet Coaster for a few months now, getting the hang of everything, and I don't miss RCT3 at all. The coaster building on Planet Coaster is superb.

Although I do still have issues here and there, and I was wondering if somebody could answer a question I have. I recently built a brand new park, with three major roller coasters (all with across-the-board green ratings for excitement, fear, and nausea), along with 5 or 6 flat rides that also have pretty great ratings (no reds and at least one green). Why is it that people are FLOODING to my three roller coasters (completely full queues), but nobody is touching the flat rides at all? Every ride in the park has at least 80% queue/ride scenery rating, and they all have favorable ratings that aren't too nauseous, scary, etc. Why is this?

It's driving me nuts. I built this decent sized park with lots of theming and scenery at EVERY ride, and the roller coasters are great but the flat rides are completely empty, maybe one or two people here and there (some not even that much) and that's it. I'm on Sandbox mode, so I made all my rides free since I'm not worried about a profit. Why are people completely ignoring every flat except for the three coasters?

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20180701014358_1.thumb.jpg.dfb3cfb00045738d136bfa9f29ba6a25.jpg

Both with 100% queue scenery rating and 500-530 Prestige rating...

I certainly wish I could properly help, but it boggles my mind just as much as you.

I think Planet Coaster has a complex algorithm that awards players with suuuper intricate theming not only above and around the queue line, but around the entire ride. If people get dumped out to an area with lots of seating, some shops and bathrooms, and decent theming, I think more guests will be more prone to hanging out around that ride more and thus wait longer to ride... but that's just light unconfirmed observations on my end.

I'm not an expert, I'm trying to figure this stuff out too.

20180701013706_1.thumb.jpg.fe640982b13eed3d5b1f1ba58ce6236e.jpg

Minimal theming work, picks up and dumps guests off main pathway that lead to other key rides.

20180701013803_1.thumb.jpg.435140c67b07b665989f100e68dad3e4.jpg

Ride sits in its own dead-end area with shops and bathroom and seating. Covered queue with some minor intricate details.

^Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I took a few screenshots as well just to portray how much of a difference it is between the flat rides and coasters.

Tsunami.thumb.jpg.834e944161006510f23d256e89373d92.jpg

This is my Intamin Hyper (Skyrush/Hyperion style) and the queue is absolutely packed. I picked a peep and opened the first person camera and waited in line, and I timed it to be about 18 minutes.

1759624116_PiratesRevenge.thumb.jpg.6e0f6b5e4b2f7b246d7bad204ba0637e.jpg

This is a very-long GCI woodie that runs three trains, and this line is longer but moves a tad faster since it has better capacity than the Intamin. I timed this line to be about 15 minutes.

438906940_PelicansPrey.thumb.jpg.1724ffc38446a094a58d47eec8d58336.jpg

On the other hand, here is one of my flat rides. This Gerstlauer Sky Fly is actually one of the few flat rides where you can actually get two green ratings on, and I have one in another park that people flood to, but I don't know why this one is totally empty all the time.

93826362_FlyingSubmarine.thumb.jpg.4ca92e888dafda68c129eea140861bb6.jpg

And another flat ride, again one of them that you can avoid red ratings on. It also has a 100% themed queue line. Absolutely no queue, and never more than one or two people riding.

I really need to figure out what the algorithm is and work around that as best I can. I guess there is a good and a bad with having really smart peeps on PC. The ones on RCT3 are complete idiots and will flood to almost any ride.

One trick for flat rides I've found is to modify the ride cycle. If you add on to the default or create your own, it tends to help attract people.

Even this doesn’t make much of a difference. I modified each of my flat rides to do the most exciting and least nauseating cycle (I found a useful chart online), but it still is not helping. It just boggles my mind.

There's a tiny rumor floating of a paid DLC coming too, but don't hold your breath for it.

Welp... Not much of a preview, but the rumors held true.

Available to Purchase 10 July 2018. Revisit traditional attractions and enjoy a more classic look in your parks with the new Planet Coaster Vintage Pack. Create your own classic-style amusement parks with timeless charm, and have your guests go on a journey filled with nostalgia!

Purchased the Vintage Pack today. I really like it for what it is. They added some old school flats (my favorite being Rock-O-Plane!) as well as a couple new woodies, one of which being a super vintage wooden coaster train ala Coney Island Cyclone. Haven't tried out the vending machines yet.

I'm glad they're still updating this game. Hopefully in a few months we'll see even more coaster types and flat rides. They are still so many more the game could use!

I just downloaded Planet Coaster for the first time last night. Most of my time was spent figuring out how to move my view and to navigate; is there a quicker way to get around? If I remember correctly, you could just drag your mouse in RCT2 to pan across? Either way, it's just my start so there will be a learning curve.

Are there any suggested shortcut/tutorial videos? I mean besides the 6 or so that Planet Coaster posts themselves. I'm excited to get into this game!

I just downloaded Planet Coaster for the first time last night. Most of my time was spent figuring out how to move my view and to navigate; is there a quicker way to get around? If I remember correctly, you could just drag your mouse in RCT2 to pan across? Either way, it's just my start so there will be a learning curve.

Are there any suggested shortcut/tutorial videos? I mean besides the 6 or so that Planet Coaster posts themselves. I'm excited to get into this game!

I use W-A-S-D and clicking/scrolling on the center mouse wheel. It is definitely different than RCT3, but I've been playing exclusively PC for a few months now and it feels natural. I went back on RCT3 the other day and it drove me nuts that I couldn't navigate as well as I used to!

Also, if you press T on your keyboard, it toggles to another navigation mode when W-A-S-D will take you in the direction you're facing (like NoLimits). This mode is better for fine tuning details inside buildings and things like that.

Hope that helps.

^Thank you for the help! I figured out over the last couple days (and a sore arm!) how to navigate, but it's going to take more practice on my part.

I have a park, and it's finally turning a profit. Here are some questions I have:

1 - The only way I could turn a profit is by charging for rides AND park entrance. Is this the way to go? It would seem either entrance free/charge for rides or vice-versa?

2 - I keep giving my shop employees raises and training, but they get bored and quit. Even with a few extra vendors, there seem to be many places with no vendor... they are always in transit.

3 - I'm confused with the work rosters. It would seem this is the same as the blue highlighted squares in RCT2 (I never got into RCT3, so not sure what it looked like in there), where each employee is assigned... I started some new rosters, and drag the cursor over a large area. Is there a place to see that highlighted area? It's all a bit confusing to me.

4 - Can you change what the employees look like? The janitor looks so old and sad :/

5 - When I start the game, I get this message:

1.thumb.jpg.6bf2950131dd7c193d0cecd112314863.jpg

I click on that, then I get this message:

2.jpg.03d22d7ad30c9da51c5606cdd513a94e.jpg

I close that, then play the game. There seems to be no purpose for this?

5 - When I start the game, I get this message:

2.jpg[/attachment]

I close that, then play the game. There seems to be no purpose for this?

You need to disable the Game DVR/Game bar. It's a feature in Windows 10: https://www.howtogeek.com/273180/how-to-disable-windows-10s-game-dvr-and-game-bar/

I'd just disable everything under "Gaming" in W10. That should stop the pop-up.

^Hey that worked, thank you!

CLONE.thumb.jpg.6f3fc2bf3091bc54ccb23e17a259290d.jpg

I was very excited to see the vintage pack, so a tribute to the Texas/Coney Cyclone was one of my first orders! Doing some playing around, I found the friction to be a touch too high on the wooden coasters (not sure about the others). Luckily, there is a way to adjust that. My No Limits days are coming back to me... this game is like a great in-between between NL and RCT.

As a lover of truly classic coasters, it would be nice if the program offered the ability of geometry-based designs. The old school way... the way GCI does NOT approve of: "circles and lines." You know, the stuff that makes a classic coaster fun!

Going back a couple years when this was released, I'm remembering why I didn't get the game then. There was no Schwarzkopf coasters in the previews... am I still missing something? Surely they couldn't leave those out.

Coming back to the issue with getting people to ride rides, I've found a way to get a small boost of ridership (or visitation to any attraction/shop) is to set signs out and select what they're advertising. It might not be a significant boost, but it's helped with some rides I've had that had virtually no ridership.

Edit: Setting out multiple seems to boost its popularity. The more signs set to advertise the thing, the better.

20180716215616_1.thumb.jpg.21234a7a914ae4de12ab0dd6234a537e.jpg

20180716215723_1.thumb.jpg.7e808c12a9926f0a913b7f1d5364cc30.jpg

• 1 month later...
As a lover of truly classic coasters, it would be nice if the program offered the ability of geometry-based designs. The old school way... the way GCI does NOT approve of: "circles and lines." You know, the stuff that makes a classic coaster fun!

Going back a couple years when this was released, I'm remembering why I didn't get the game then. There was no Schwarzkopf coasters in the previews... am I still missing something? Surely they couldn't leave those out.

I have learned that using the angle snap tool, you can essentially create any geometry-based design you like. I tend to use angle snap almost exclusively on Arrows, old school woodies, and sometimes RMCs to create nice parabolic hills and drops, but I pretty much do GCIs, Intamins, and others almost entirely free-hand (except for the station, lift, and brakes of course). I basically never create B&Ms because it is so difficult to get their style right, and it is almost impossible to do with or without angle snap.

The more I play Planet Coaster, the more I really appreciate the versatility of the coaster building tools. Man, it is light years better than RCT3 yet no where near as complicated or scary as No Limits. Oh, and yes, I REALLY want Schwarzkopf coasters too!

Also ^, nice note about putting up signs. I think I'll try that on some of my "abandoned" flat rides.

EDIT: Also, if I were to come up with anything to add to the coaster building tools, it would be continuous rolling. That is the one feature of No Limits I really appreciate.

• 1 month later...

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/34179-Free-Update-1-8-coming-soon!?p=240638#post240638

Hi coaster friends!

We hope you're having a wonderful time, wherever in the world you might be!

We're happy to announce that we're preparing another update for you, which as per usual is a free update combined with a new special Pack! We're going to hold on to the Pack info a bit longer, but would love to share all the free stuff that is coming in update 1.8 soon!

(Please note that the recently announced Thememaker's Toolkit is not included in the 1.8 update, but in a future one this year instead!)

12113e55-663b-4af6-a59b-223f153f63f2.jpg.bd1d22e9c3b66145d096103da6c9abfb.jpg

RESTAURANTS

The PlanCo chefs have been working hard to prepare the most mouth-watering menus for the brand new restaurants you can now place in your parks! Have your guests get together for a yummy daytime or evening meal to enjoy in one of the fine establishments you choose to build. Restaurants are built very similarly to hotels by creating a restaurant facility that guests enter, and increasing its capacity with additional expansions. You can of course dress it up to your liking or use one of the provided in-game blueprints. Once your guests have finished their meals, they will leave with a boost to their happiness, food, and drink rating - which will vary on what your restaurant offers and what your guests have bought. You can customise what your restaurants offer by choosing from the different in-game brands and creating a menu; the more items being served, the higher your running costs. You can increase the effectiveness of your restaurants by using perks to attract different guest demographics and increase their star rating.

You can also play around with restaurant capacity (very similar to how hotels work). Each box represents a group of 4 at a table, so if you place 20 boxes inside your restaurant, you have space for 80 guests to dine. Guests who have a meal at a restaurant will feel spoiled and luxurious, so do try them out for yourself!

NEW SCENERY

We're adding some extra vending machines, building on the ones that were released in previous update 1.7! You can now also expect to find Chief Beef, Hotdog Squad, Pizza Pen, Cosmic Cow ice cream, Mexcelente, Tiki Chiki, Monsieur Frites and Missy Good donuts. It's looking like a yummy update already...

8f865f24-76d4-4df4-b91f-33db42255cdf.jpg.c82386c64ff4f54d0d3dc609c1110c41.jpg

OBJECT BROWSER IMPROVEMENTS

We've added more tags to better categorise and identify objects in the building menus for Planet Coaster. You can add your own tags to scenery and blueprints, or based on projects you're working on, so that you can more efficiently find your more commonly used pieces. We've also created a Favourites category, which is an easier way to find the items you use all the time! You can now use the search bar to search for these tags, which should hopefully help with the endless scrolling for that one wall piece or, my favourite, the Dragon Poo.

TRIGGER EVENTS FOR DOORS

All door animatronics have been changed in the game so that they have extra trigger options, and you can now open and close them as you please. This much-requested change allows you to perfectly time coaster doors with their coasters or tracked rides, right up until the last 100th of a second.

NEW FIREWORKS

A host of new firework shapes including letters and Planet Coaster iconography are ready to shoot into the skies, and will give your park that extra spark of excitement.

CUSTOMISE OPERATION STAFF

Another much-requested feature, you can now customise the staff colours of the ticket booth staff and the ride operators! Time to make those green and purple aliens!

91f79a08-3217-4072-b463-cd3b0bb9a050.jpg.d024689bf288d5a0d0d1c96307d38007.jpg

COASTER IMPROVEMENTS

Lapping has been added to 38 coasters, which allows you to lap the train through the station multiple times! We've also improved the Operations Tab with a dropdown menu showing only the possible operations mode for a specific coaster: Standard, Lapping, and Block section.

EVEN MORE NEW ADDITIONS!

You thought that was it? Think again! We've also removed the blue glow around selected scenery items, making it easier to change their colours; we've added new audio effects to the camera effects introduced in update 1.7, and triggerable speakers now have the option to change their pitch by trigger, meaning you can bend or snap to that pitch by up to an octave.

We hope you're excited about this amazing free update, and we will be telling you even more about the additional Pack really soon. Please be sure to tune in TONIGHT [Note: the stream already happened] at 7PM BST to watch Lead Artist Sam Denney and Gameplay Programmer Robert Chisholm talk about the 1.8 free update (and Sam's promised us to not drop any spoilers about the upcoming Pack...) over at http://www.youtube.com/planetcoaster/live

We hope to see you there!

Bo

Wait a sec... what's this about a Thememaker's Toolkit?

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/34140-Coming-Soon-to-Planet-Coaster-Thememaker-s-Toolkit

823e1b70-a40f-4711-b6d8-23debc0b746f.jpg.00a0240c0b998c4eb622ad7ca69f398c.jpg

Hello coaster friends,

One of our favourite parts of Planet Coaster is seeing all the amazing, funky, and creative blueprints our players display on the Steam Workshop. There's so much attention to detail, so much originality and creativity, and it blows us away every day to see what you've put together - whether that's a recreation of your favourite theme park, a super spooky haunted mansion, an elaborate Go-Karts track through the gears of a clock, or a scene straight out of a Hollywood action movie. There seems to be no limit to what you all build and create!

The team have been hard at work as we’re getting ready for another Planet Coaster update, but we've got a very special announcement for you today, which we hope enables and strengthens that creativity even further:

Thememaker's Toolkit

The Thememaker's Toolkit is a pipeline system for 3D models to be added as scenery items to your parks. It is a free feature we have been working on for a while now, and will truly challenge players who'd love to try their hand at creating all-new items for their parks! Skilled artists within the community will be able to create a host of items such as a sci-fi spaceship, or an amazingly crafted piece of foliage. The Thememaker's Toolkit will give you the ability to bring your 3D models to life and share them with everyone.

This much-requested community feature will make its way into the game later this year. We wanted to let you know today as some Thememaker's Toolkit files will be visible in the game folders after our next update. We also hope this gives you plenty of time to prepare your gaming stations with the necessary tools, or start planning your next creations which will be infused with boundless variety once the feature launches.

We will have even more news for you soon regarding the next Planet Coaster update, but for now: thank you for your ongoing support!

Bo

p.s. We've also got a Support FAQ for you if you have any more questions, but feel free to pop any below this forum post as well.

Lapping has been added to 38 coasters, which allows you to lap the train through the station multiple times! We've also improved the Operations Tab with a dropdown menu showing only the possible operations mode for a specific coaster: Standard, Lapping, and Block section.

The thing I am most excited for!!!

• 2 months later...

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

https://www.planetcoaster.com/en-gb/news/magnificent-rides-collection-coming-18-december

PlanetCoaster-MagnificentRidesCollection_MindMelt1_low.thumb.jpg.32b6c74fd90974d4a3d973e6233c7ebd.jpgAs we come to the end of 2018 we celebrate another year of incredible content, including three new themed packs including Studios, Vintage and the World's Fair. In addition we also launched the Thememaker’s Toolkit – a brand new tool that allows you to convert your 3D model creations into Planet Coaster scenery items.

However, the year is not over just yet, and we are thrilled to reveal the final content of 2018:

The Magnificent Rides Collection, coming to you on December 18, 2018. The collection will have nine new rides, with one that will have two variations.

To highlight these new rides Lead Artist Sam Denney will join Community Manager Chanté Goodman for a developer livestream on December 12, at 7PM UTC on YouTube.

The Magnificent Rides Collection* will be available to purchase from Steam or the Frontier Store for £7.99 ($10.99, €10.99).

*Please note that you need to have the Planet Coaster game (sold separately) in order to download and play this extra content.

^9 new rides, also including...

Now, there's something a little on the negative side I'd like to point out. I was talking with a friend about him getting into Planet Coaster, and he said it'd be a tough purchase simply because it's too expensive. My immediate thoughts were that "most AAA-ish games are around $60. $45 full price for Planet Coaster actually isn't terrible. Heck, I'd even say it's more than worth the price."

But he didn't mean the base game.

He meant the game + all of the DLC's.unknown.png.136ad903d104dfb234fa2fda606832a5.png

As of 8:12pm EST, December 6th.

It's a little easy to gloss over/forget the fact that Planet Coaster's become a $108.91 video game ($80.91 if you get deluxe then add the construction kits). I'll still love and praise this video game, but I do finally see his argument. Mind you, I did see this game's DLC's recently heavily discounted, so if you do catch it at the right time, you can get the add-ons for much less than this.

You bring up a good point. It really does add up, but at the same time, I very much appreciate that the game is constantly being updated every couple months with new coaster types, flat rides, theming packages, etc.

That is one thing (among many) that I did not like about RCT3. After the Wild pack came out, the game was almost left to rot, and it was very easy to exhaust all of the coaster types and game features without downloading loads of custom scenery and other mods. After playing the game since the day it came out, I finally reached my breaking point last May and decided to give Planet Coaster a try. I haven't touched RCT3 since and will likely never go back, ever.

With that being said, I really do think they should start lumping things together and selling package deals at lower prices, because if they continue to add content every couple months and charge $10 every time, I can see people's frustration. Luckily they are very involved with the community.