Photo TR: Boldy's Beer and Airtime Adventures

UPDATE: Flitzer Farewell
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Photo TR: Boldy's Beer and Airtime Adventures

Postby boldikus » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:40 am

bert425 wrote:that's a great report, and glad you had a good time at SFOG.

I was there for the first time on the TPR USA trip a few months back, and I loved it too - tho Acrophobia was down during our visit.

I actually really liked Scorcher, but hated DDD.

disappointed to see pics from Monster Mansion but not Kissyface! she's the star of the show :p

Thanks Bert. I was pretty disappoint Acro was down, especially since I saw it reopened not long after my visit. My Monster Mansion ride was a blur (I mean that in a good way) and I don't really recall taking any of those photos. :lol: What's not to like about Dare Devil Devil? Its not gonna change anyones life but I think its a fun little ride.

Canobie Coaster wrote:The sign at the Flash Pass store didn't list Twisted Cyclone as a one time only (I think only the website does) and the employees confirmed it was an unlimited option. I find it funny that the new hotness allows unlimited rides while a 20 year old Batman doesn't (though the Flash Pass set up is wonky there).

Yeah it wasn't on the sign but I'd seen it on the website so that's what I was prepared for. I should have asked but I didn't. I felt a bit better about going HAM on Twisted Cyclone once I'd heard from other folks who visited and had the same thing happen. A little regretful about not hitting Batman. Ah well, next year.

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Nice report! Twisted Cyclone is such an incredible ride. While I'd give the edge to Twisted Timbers, it's really hard for me to compare the top-tier RMCs, they're all just so good

Thanks! And agreed. I just know I prefer the straight drops over the barrel roll. I enjoy it, and its unique, just love a ride starting with a burst of air. And Twisted Cyclone is great because it has both.

larrygator wrote:Wear some Big Boy pants (literally) next time and ride the glorious Georgia Scorcher!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: I LOL'd.

jynx242 wrote:Awesome report. I always enjoy your trip reports and appreciate your take on the parks. It adds extra "umph" that you like my home park so much!!

Thanks! Oh man its such a great park. I know people rave about Fiesta Texas but I haven't been there yet, but I have done all four of the "east coast" Six Flags now and while I like SFNE and Great Adventure, SFOG is just a different level of niceness.

A.J. wrote:Was a pleasure, my friend. I'm still reeling over Twisted Cyclone, for what it's worth!

Yeah dude. It was great to meet ya and share a few rides and always nice to put a face/personality to other forum regulars.

Philrad71 wrote:Great report, Boldy - I HAVE to get to this park!!

Thanks! And you do! Just do it - its so close to the Atlanta airport and there are three hotels next to the park. Its such an easy park to pop over to.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:54 am

boldikus wrote:
bert425 wrote:that's a great report, and glad you had a good time at SFOG.

I was there for the first time on the TPR USA trip a few months back, and I loved it too - tho Acrophobia was down during our visit.

I actually really liked Scorcher, but hated DDD.

disappointed to see pics from Monster Mansion but not Kissyface! she's the star of the show :p

Thanks Bert. I was pretty disappoint Acro was down, especially since I saw it reopened not long after my visit. My Monster Mansion ride was a blur (I mean that in a good way) and I don't really recall taking any of those photos. :lol: What's not to like about Dare Devil Devil? Its not gonna change anyones life but I think its a fun little ride.

I think it was the vertical lift I didn't care for. . . . I wasnt' blown away by Impulse at Knoebel's either (only rode that once too).

I DID like Fahrenheit at Hershey tho. . . so most likely it's a combo of the Small Train & Vertical Lift that I didn't care for.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby coneyislandchris » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:58 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome report. Kills me that I'm going to be so close to it next week but won't be around during the weekend. I really need to change this and take the entire family down there soon. Thanks again for a killer (as always) report!
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

Postby boldikus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:42 am

bert425 wrote:I think it was the vertical lift I didn't care for. . . . I wasnt' blown away by Impulse at Knoebel's either (only rode that once too).

I DID like Fahrenheit at Hershey tho. . . so most likely it's a combo of the Small Train & Vertical Lift that I didn't care for.

I'm not a big fan of them either, I love Fahrenheit and don't even like it there. I get sometimes its for space reasons but it usually feels like an uncomfortable novelty, kinda like the slow jojo roll on Hydra. Meh.

coneyislandchris wrote:Awesome, awesome, awesome report. Kills me that I'm going to be so close to it next week but won't be around during the weekend. I really need to change this and take the entire family down there soon. Thanks again for a killer (as always) report!

Thanks Chris! Make it happen!

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Dombot » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:46 am

Great report! Twisted Cyclone looks so good, really excited to head over there next year.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Postby boldikus » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:34 am

^ Thanks dombot!

So here is more or less a quick photo dump of the last batch of photos taken on my crapshit Android, and I'm not writing out much of a report, since they're from Wildwood, and its not as if there is any shortage of Wildwood photos in this thread. I'm basically just trying to get these out there since I'm much more excited to share the following update detailing a wonderful weekend down in Virginia in October featuring a f*ckton of much better photos from my shiny new iPhone.

Anyways, the weekend after my trip down South, I headed down to visit my folks and get some last rides on Flitzer, as I had plans the weekend the ride was scheduled to close.

00.jpg

I took the (local, long) bus down on Saturday morning. It was a gorgeous day. Once I got into town I hung out with mom and dad and had a few drinks while we got caught up. They weren't up for the boards so I headed up solo in the middle of the afternoon. The boardwalk felt busier than expected that early in the day, so I bee-lined right for Surfside Pier to hit up the ol' zippy Zierer before it got any sort of line.

01.jpg

Jokes on me, it already had a line. Meanwhile, everything else on the pier was deserted.

02.jpg

Most people assume the Jersey Shore towns go into hibernation after Labor Day weekend, but Wildwood has "event" weekends throughout September and October - Irish Weekend, The Italian Festival, Biker Weekend, and Firefighters weekend, which was happening starting today.

03.jpg

While the water parks are all closed, and Moreys has already shuttered Adventure Pier, the other two piers are operating and most of the boardwalk is still very alive.

04.jpg

Moreys also recently started doing Oktoberfest in late September/early October, but typically only keep Mariners (the center) Pier open for that event. It's really all they need with the lighter crowds, though I'd have no problem if Surfside was open too.

05.jpg

I waited about 10 minutes for a ride on Flitzer, unusual for the middle of the afternoon in the middle of September, but these are special circumstances.

06.jpg

Also unusual: the ride ops were not only allowing people to hold their cameras and film themselves on rides, they were actually encouraging it.

10.jpg

Fun facts: The Flitzer was built in 1969 by Zierer, and bought used by Moreys in 1983 for $150,000. It's the oldest operating coaster on all three piers. It received a full rehab in 2005, including a new "surf" theme, lighting package, magnetic breaks, tracks, control system, and cars.

08.jpg

I'll really miss Flitzer. Yeah its great Moreys is getting a new, modern coaster, but I've literally been riding this little sh*t every summer since I was 5. As an adult, it's never been the first thing we'll run to, but we've always made a stop when the line wasn't too long.

09.jpg

*sobs* It's a piece of my childhood, damnit! :lol:

07.jpg

And they just bulldozed it onto the beach! :cry: :cry: :lmao:

11.jpg

Calm down, Larry. I'm joking. Kinda. The realist in me completely understands this move, but I can still be butthurt about the destruction of a piece of my childhood and what is most definitely a small part of the reason I'm here typing to you all.

12.jpg

Yeah so needless to say I took a bunch of last photos.

13.jpg

And got a few final rides in.

14.jpg

And watched a bunch of happy kids and parents take their last rides. Then I went up to Joe's Fish Co to drown my sorrows in a few beers. :lol:

15.jpg

As always great view of the pier and beach from up here. I hadn't seen any activity from IT, not too much of a surprise considering how cranky its been all season. And then all of the sudden...

16.jpg

I chugged that last beer and ran right over. But they tested it a few times and then everyone walked away. Boooooo.

17.jpg

Only one cure for these blues: sweet, buttery, greasy bliss.

18.jpg

After my slice w/ birch beer I walked back down to Surfside to see if IT was running at all, but still nothing. So I stopped for a drop on Atmosfear, then threw all my crap in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo and gave the Nor'easter a spin.

19.jpg

It was a nice evening for some seaside rides.

20.jpg

Yeah, this is definitely the best SLC going right now. Prove me wrong. :lol:

21.jpg

The ride actually went down just as I went for the full-body scan but I hung around and got in a last-row ride as the sun set.

22.jpg

Kinda bored, with no signs of life @ IT, I got back in an even longer line for Flitzer. Last ride ever.

23.jpg

A moment of silence for our since departed friend...

24.jpg

Pour one out for the homie, ya'll.

25.jpg

I'm not crying, you're crying! :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMAG6312_1.jpg

And here's a few photos from my morning run the following day.

IMAG6308_1.jpg

IMAG6319_1.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Scorecard:
Flitzer x3
Nor'easter x1
Atmosfear 1x
Macks x1
Joes x1

Postby coasterbill » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:53 am

Great report! I'll definitely miss Flitzer. I understand the move but that stupid little coaster was way too much fun for what it was. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:08 am

Great report! I wasn't impressed by Flitzer, but I completely understand all the nostalgia you have for it. It's how I feel about another Zierer, Rudy's Rapid Transit at Santa's Village. At least kids will now get to grow up riding the most Wildwood themed coaster ever.

With this Flitzer closing, I think Jenkinson's may have the last permanent one in the US (though I heard a rumor that new SBF spinner could go in its place).
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- California's Great America & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby boldikus » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:13 am

Yeah seems to be true.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:34 pm

Great photos of Flitzer. I really didn't expect it to be as good as it was. Morey's won't be the same without it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!