TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

I found it very strange that (for a SeaWorld Park) this park really didn’t have many animal exhibits.

In the park proper I think I only counted two (Pacific Point and the dated penguin and puffin building) and otherwise the only way to actually see any animals was to go to the shows or to leave the park (presumably getting a hand stamp) and walk across the entry plaza to go look at dolphins. Like most SeaWorld parks, it’s also light on rides which is more noticeable here due to the distinct lack of animal exhibits.

This looks great and addresses two big needs for the park. I love it. I feel like a Zamberla midi discovery is sort of a cheap and sh*tty ride for a SeaWorld Park but they ride just fine and I’m sure they’ll make it look nice. I’m most excited for the turtles anyway.

Nice to see flats being added to the park as well as larger attractions and coasters. Really turning the Sea World parks into well rounded parks. These look like solid additions to start the process of taking it into the next stage of it's life.

I'm glad to see SeaWorld continuing to invest in animal experiences in tandem with adding rides... Rides add more immediate returns, but SeaWorld's distinct approach to animal exhibits is a part of the company's DNA and something that I hope to see continue for a long time across all of the parks.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted in the SWO thread about buying a platinum pass for SWSA from out-of-state b/c it was so much cheaper and a Texas trip was in my plans anyway. I read the actual printable ticket and it says SeaWorld Texas platinum passes are valid for Texas residents only. I went back through the website and read everything I could find and could not find this information. So I repeated the process of buying a pass right up until the payment screen and did not find this information.

I called and the person at SeaWorld CS said that if purchased the pass on Ez-Pay installments that I had to be a resident of Texas, but since I paid in full, the passes would be valid. This seems very odd. I sent an email to customer service as well to confirm so I can have something in writing.

Response from SeaWorld:

Dear Mr. Glenn,

Greetings from SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment!

Thank you very much for your information request on SeaWorld San Antonio. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests, for you are the one that helps make our park a success.

I spoke to my supervisor and she said that at this time it is okay that you have the Platinum pass. Please stop at any kiosk to redeem your e-voucher and obtain your actual pass.

Sincerely,

Deborah

I just also bought a platinum pass from SWSA and am certainly not a Texas resident. I visited the park this past weekend and had no issues redeeming the pass and using it. I signed up for EZ pay as I would love to keep that low monthly payment and visit the other Sea/Busch parks, so far no issues.

I have purchased the SWSA platinum pass in the past without being a TX resident and didn't have any issues (paid in full, not EZ pay).

BUT, I was not able to successfully redeem any of the passmember offers for BGT/SWO through the online passmember portal. I was fine if it was something I could do in person in FL, but I just couldn't get it to work in advance online.

I also was denied the platinum preferred parking at BGW because they said they don't honor that for other region platinum passes, but they didn't give me any issues with a FL platinum pass this year, so YMMV.

Yeah I've had a sea world san diego platinum pass in the past and was also not able to redeem most of the offers for the platinum at other parks. I had emailed before, and they replied saying that the offers were only good for home park with the exception of the florida passes which are by far the most expensive. However if its a perk that does not require online redemption I've had no issues in the past redeeming it. I've also always gotten the preferred parking at every park but I do know that BGW has changed their pass structure a lot in the past year so while that would be a bummer to lose there its not a deal breaker especially at the price the SWSA platinum pass is. So all in all still think its a wonderful deal.

I posted in the SWO thread about buying a platinum pass for SWSA from out-of-state b/c it was so much cheaper and a Texas trip was in my plans anyway. I read the actual printable ticket and it says SeaWorld Texas platinum passes are valid for Texas residents only. I went back through the website and read everything I could find and could not find this information. So I repeated the process of buying a pass right up until the payment screen and did not find this information.

I called and the person at SeaWorld CS said that if purchased the pass on Ez-Pay installments that I had to be a resident of Texas, but since I paid in full, the passes would be valid. This seems very odd. I sent an email to customer service as well to confirm so I can have something in writing.

I don't see anywhere on SWSA's website that you have to be a resident of Texas in order to purchase a Platinum pass from that park. It doesn't even say you have to be a TX resident to use EZPAy( however I attempted to purchase myself to see, and it would only allow full payment so it would appear you must be a resident of TX to get EZPay). The only thing it references in terms of usage is that you have to redeem it there first before using at any of the other parks:

Platinum Pass Passport eVoucher must be redeemed at SeaWorld San Antonio for first use.

Full Details:

The electronic and printed version of this Annual Pass may not be copied, transferred or resold and is valid only for the person listed above. The Park and Park’s exhibits are subject to closure at the Park’s discretion. The electronic and printed version of this Annual Pass will be voided if altered. Tickets and Annual Passes are non-refundable. Valid for admission at SeaWorld Orlando, SeaWorld San Diego, SeaWorld San Antonio, Aquatica Orlando, Aquatica San Diego, Aquatica San Antonio, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Sesame Place, Adventure Island, & Water Country USA. Excludes Discovery Cove in Orlando, FL. Platinum Pass Passport eVoucher must be redeemed at SeaWorld San Antonio for first use. Please present your electronic or printed Annual Pass to the Toll Booth Attendant for FREE preferred parking at SeaWorld San Antonio. Reserved Seating valid at Shamu Theater, Sea Lion Stadium & Beluga Stadium. Expires 1 year from date of purchase. Service fees not included.EZpay is a monthly payment program that requires a 12 month commitment. Pass Members will automatically remain on EZpay on a month-to-month basis after that commitment is met. Click for EZ Pay Terms and Conditions

Bring a friend free tickets are valid on select dates. Pass Member must be present with guest at time of entry. Must redeem through SeaWorldSanAntonio.com upon Log In. Additional restrictions apply.

The one-time Animal Experience must be redeemed through SeaWorldSanAntonio.com upon Log In. Additional restrictions apply.

The Annual Photo Key must be redeemed through SeaWorldSanAntonio.com upon Log In. Additional restrictions apply.

I think one thing about all these various passes is they aren't consistent between each other. BGW has Memberships, while the rest are still calling them Annual Passes...even though they were updated to be more like BGW's memberships. Also, depending on the park, you can get the Platinum level no matter what state you live in with some, but not others. Same with EzPay. While SWSA, SWO & BGT require you to live in that state to use EZPay, BGW allows residents from all 50 states to use it. That may just have to do with state laws.

I don't see anywhere on SWSA's website that you have to be a resident of Texas in order to purchase a Platinum pass from that park. It doesn't even say you have to be a TX resident to use EZPAy( however I attempted to purchase myself to see, and it would only allow full payment so it would appear you must be a resident of TX to get EZPay).

Actually, they offered me EZPay, though I chose to pay in full since this is kind of a one time thing for me, going to 2 SeaWorld parks next year. I live in southwest Missouri, so SWSA is the closest park in the chain to me. They probably have EZPay fenced geographically so that people who live closer to other SeaWorld parks can't get it, but I can confirm I am eligible even though I don't live in Texas.

I don't see anywhere on SWSA's website that you have to be a resident of Texas in order to purchase a Platinum pass from that park. It doesn't even say you have to be a TX resident to use EZPAy( however I attempted to purchase myself to see, and it would only allow full payment so it would appear you must be a resident of TX to get EZPay).

Actually, they offered me EZPay, though I chose to pay in full since this is kind of a one time thing for me, going to 2 SeaWorld parks next year. I live in southwest Missouri, so SWSA is the closest park in the chain to me. They probably have EZPay fenced geographically so that people who live closer to other SeaWorld parks can't get it, but I can confirm I am eligible even though I don't live in Texas.

It may have something to due with proximity then.

I actually wouldn't mind switching to their Platinum for the price. I'm planning to go in June. The (current) full price difference is only $12 more than what I pay a year now for just BGT & SWO. The only thing stopping me is the loss of benefits at the FL parks. I would still get free parking and in-park discounts. However I'd lose the free and reduced priced tickets for guests since those are only available at the parks in the state you buy the platinum from. There are other things as well I wouldn't be eligible for either here. While I've seen others say they were able to in the past get some of those offers at the kiosks, those were with the old pass system.

Hmm thats really weird and bizarre I bought my pass at the end of September using EZPay and I live in Ohio so nowhere near TX, wonder when it changed to only allow TX residents to use EZPay

All the parks changed their passholder structure this month (BGW started last year). So anyone buying passes after they went in effect (October 4th), may not be able to get EZPay depending on where they live. If you have EZPay already, you should be good as long as you keep in good standing since you have a contract. I know I can't get it because I live in FL. It's not even an option when trying to buy online, but can buy it all at once. That's understandable in my case since well, we have 4 parks here.

With SEA struggling it is nice to see them allowing the passes to be valid even for those living outside of Texas. It they denied people it would cause them more bad PR since it is not explicitly stated on the website. It will be interesting to see if they allow out of state residents to continue to purchase the Texas Platinum pass at the discounted price (as they allowed 7-8 years ago) or if they change the verbiage on their website.

As I mentioned in the SWO thread a few weeks ago, I inquired in August about buying a 2019 pass/membership and Guest Relations informed me the low price was online for in-state residents.

• 4 weeks later...

Just came back from a quick Thanksgiving visit. The park was a lot less crowded than I thought it would be given the holiday. Does this park ever get crowded? I have been getting email ads for cheap day tickets for the entire year even though my pass is with one of the other parks.

The Beluga whale / dolphin show was sad, but the other shows were fine. I was shocked by how few animal exhibits they had in general (I didn’t realize that the shark exhibit is actually outside the park proper...). Christmas lights and the corresponding late closing time were super nice.

Steel Eel : fun floater air time for the first half, but the block breaks take much of the momentum out of the ride and occur much earlier in the ride than you’d expect. I ride twice in the back and once in the front.

Great White : supposedly this is a Batman clone, but I guess I haven’t ridden enough of those to notice. Aggressive snappy positive g forces and disorienting inversions, but neither of those is really my thing.

Wave Breaker : kind of ugly on the lake, and it felt meandering in spite of the launches. This rollercoaster did nothing for me, and I just rode once. I guess the marquee was nice.

Anyhow, I’ll be visiting some of the nearby Six Flags parks a bit later in the week.

Just came back from a quick Thanksgiving visit. The park was a lot less crowded than I thought it would be given the holiday. Does this park ever get crowded? I have been getting email ads for cheap day tickets for the entire year even though my pass is with one of the other parks.

The Beluga whale / dolphin show was sad, but the other shows were fine. I was shocked by how few animal exhibits they had in general (I didn’t realize that the shark exhibit is actually outside the park proper...). Christmas lights and the corresponding late closing time were super nice.

Steel Eel : fun floater air time for the first half, but the block breaks take much of the momentum out of the ride and occur much earlier in the ride than you’d expect. I ride twice in the back and once in the front.

Great White : supposedly this is a Batman clone, but I guess I haven’t ridden enough of those to notice. Aggressive snappy positive g forces and disorienting inversions, but neither of those is really my thing.

Wave Breaker : kind of ugly on the lake, and it felt meandering in spite of the launches. This rollercoaster did nothing for me, and I just rode once. I guess the marquee was nice.

Anyhow, I’ll be visiting some of the nearby Six Flags parks a bit later in the week.

The park can certainly get crowded. It was slammed on Saturday for example. Also since this is the biggest Sea World even if it’s moderately busy it can seem like the park is dead.

I’ve always felt that Steel Eel is vastly underrated when it comes to airtime. I can’t help but feel that you didn’t get a good ride on it since the bunny hops at the end are sometimes crazy.

With Wave Breaker a lot of people were expecting something different since it was built by Intamin. A ton of people immediately thought it would be more intense but that kind of ride wouldn’t have fit well with the parks clientele.

Luckily, the turtle addition will help with the lack of animal exhibits. There are a ton of rumors out there about additional exhibits/restaurants/rides. The last few years have been such a great improvement and the next few will help the park even more.

The park can certainly get crowded. It was slammed on Saturday for example. Also since this is the biggest Sea World even if it’s moderately busy it can seem like the park is dead.

I had to check Wikipedia to confirm, since I was thinking there is no way that San Antonio is the largest. Orlando is much more of a chore to walk around (although that may have just been the heat and humidity being unbearable in Florida).

I’ve always felt that Steel Eel is vastly underrated when it comes to airtime. I can’t help but feel that you didn’t get a good ride on it since the bunny hops at the end are sometimes crazy.

I did _like_ Steel Eel. It’s nice get rides from less prolific manufacturers.

It’s very likely that Steel Eel wasn’t running well. Since it the park was uncrowded, they were sending out trains that were half empty (if that).

With Wave Breaker a lot of people were expecting something different since it was built by Intamin. A ton of people immediately thought it would be more intense but that kind of ride wouldn’t have fit well with the parks clientele.

Yeah, I get that it was supposed to be a family coaster. But I’m the type of weirdo that likes mild coasters. I’m not quite sure why I was unimpressed by Wave Breaker.

Anyhow, I’ll upload pictures later. It is pretty painful for me to forum on a cell phone.

With SEA struggling it is nice to see them allowing the passes to be valid even for those living outside of Texas. It they denied people it would cause them more bad PR since it is not explicitly stated on the website. It will be interesting to see if they allow out of state residents to continue to purchase the Texas Platinum pass at the discounted price (as they allowed 7-8 years ago) or if they change the verbiage on their website.

As I mentioned in the SWO thread a few weeks ago, I inquired in August about buying a 2019 pass/membership and Guest Relations informed me the low price was online for in-state residents.

Struggling? Past few quarters say otherwise but.......

My daughter is going to San Diego for spring break, so we are going to Texas next month to pick up our SW/BG passes so she can go to SWSD on that spring trip. We are going to do SFOT and SFFT as well. We are driving, so probably hitting OWA Foley and SFOG on the way back.

We are taking 8 days to do this so we will probably have time for a little sightseeing as well (Alamo, River Walk, ???).

Riverwalk is a must if you have the time, and if possible I'd reccomend staying along the riverwalk. It's so nice to be able to go out drinking and have a nice albiet tipsy walk back along the river haha. Alamo is kinda you've seen it move on kinda thing haha but enjoy San Antonio its by far one of my favorite cities I've ever visited.