TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I used to work for a park and a concern was raised of putting a strain on the local grid when adding a few new water attractions due to having to run several new pumps and other filtration equipment. The park ended up adding their own sub-station and that was that. Costly, but was all done and everything converted within about 3-4 months in the off season. If that's even a problem at SFOG. Considering their size, they probably already have one, and if it had strain on it, they could just expand it next year when they add their Free Spin and do the launch coaster the following year.

Or Screamscape is just at it with the pipe dreams. Billy.

“Billy”

If there is any truth to Six Flags wanting to put a launch coaster in at SFOG I’m in favor. I feel like all parks should have a launch coaster in there lineup if there isn’t one it feels like something is missing but luckily I still have fun because I’m at an amusement park.

Oh bother, we've gone off the rails again.

This rumour almost certainly comes from Mr. Freeze at Six Flags St. Louis. It was scheduled to open in 1997, but was delayed a year due to power issues. The St. Louis County electric grid wasn't strong enough in that area and they would have frequent rollbacks.

So you know what they did? They paid Amren a sh*tton of money to upgrade the grid, and behold the coaster opened in 1998. And lo, did Six Flags cash in.

If there's one constant in human nature it's that people are stupid, but if there's a chance to profit, we turn on ingenuity.

Exactly. Tons and tons of parks that have added launch coasters have needed to upgrade their infrastructure along with it.

Carowinds had tons of power issues when they added Carolina Harbor and they're adding a launch coaster as we speak. Amazing how that happens...

Exactly. Tons and tons of parks that have added launch coasters have needed to upgrade their infrastructure along with it.

Carowinds had tons of power issues when they added Carolina Harbor and they're adding a launch coaster as we speak. Amazing how that happens...

And to add on to that, Carowinds has been updating their grid in anticipation of Copperhead Strike as they knew for a couple years it was coming.

This rumour almost certainly comes from Mr. Freeze at Six Flags St. Louis. It was scheduled to open in 1997, but was delayed a year due to power issues. The St. Louis County electric grid wasn't strong enough in that area and they would have frequent rollbacks.

So you know what they did? They paid Amren a sh*tton of money to upgrade the grid, and behold the coaster opened in 1998. And lo, did Six Flags cash in.

If there's one constant in human nature it's that people are stupid, but if there's a chance to profit, we turn on ingenuity.

Mr Freeze was delayed a year because the Texas version had a major collision in testing. The LIM fins ended up raming in to the LIM motors. There were other related issues with the housings.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130324040452/http://home.roadrunner.com/~gep2/mrfreeze.html

I have no doubt SFoG can do whatever is needed to upgrade their power capacity to support a launch coaster. We are talking metro Atlanta after all. The only real restriction on ride construction is the height limit due to nearby Brown Field Airport. If SFoG is actually considering a "West Coast Racers" or Maxx Force" clone, those rides stay below that height limit.

Speaking of expansion plans, I asked some employees about the new "ScreamPunk District" and the space where it would actually occupy. It seems the plan is to convert part of the existing Lickskillet area, including the Sky Buckets, Thunder River entrance, go-carts, two eateries and the walkways leading up to the 'Piedmont' (former French) section to the new theme. This area would of course include the new Pandemonium ride along with the repurposed former Whistlestop/Thomas Town area. Miner's Cookhouse, the ShenaniGuns show stage and areas beyond that would retain the Lickskillet theme. The employee in the gift shop across from Cookhouse said that location would feature merchandise themed to both areas. Having visited the only other Six Flags park with a ScreamPunk District (SFMM), I admit I am excited about this cool theming coming to our park!

Mr Freeze was delayed a year because the Texas version had a major collision in testing. The LIM fins ended up raming in to the LIM motors. There were other related issues with the housings.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130324040452/http://home.roadrunner.com/~gep2/mrfreeze.html

1997 was not a good year for launched coasters. Neither Mr. Freeze opened at all that year, and Chiller (at SFGAdv) opened briefly.

I'm really enjoying myself reading through the Freeze page. But, this made me laugh:

I think. But it would be a welcome change if Six Flags would switch to considerably higher-standard uniforms more like Disney parks have. I guess that's mostly just a fantasy, but it sure would be an improvement in the overall "feel" of the parks. The current Six Flags outfits (both for regular park cast members and even for the character costumes) just don't have the nice fabrics, rich detailing, and quality "drape" that contribute to the "first-class" feel one gets so outstandingly at Disney parks. Sort of like the difference between a clearly expensive-looking suit, and some cheap-looking lightweight polyester garment that came off the rack at a bargain-basement clothier.

It seems that even all the way back then people bitched about other parks not being on-par with Disney.

Who gives a fckk about uniforms?

Headed to see the Christmas Lights! Anyone else visiting the park tonight? If you see me make sure to speak!

I was there from the minute the gates opened. I wish I had seen your post beforehand - we had a blast!

A few observations from my visit to this opening day of HitP:

The stage show "Because it's Christmas" - huge improvement over last year in terms of casting. Lots of new and returning talent.

Twisted Cyclone - got in 3x rides (could have gotten many more as there was only station waits all evening but we had other fun stuff to do!)

Today being my birthday - and the first time I have ever been able to celebrate it at a theme park - I got the festivities started with a ride on Twisted Cyclone!

Metropolis Park (including Justice League; Superman): Flash pass staff told it was closed for the season and no Skip passes were available. A little later on we bumped into park President Dale Kaetzel who was roaming the park. We asked him about that area and he assured us it was open. Sure enough - We got in rides on Justice League and Superman. Lines were non existent so skip passes were unnecessary. All was good.

Hot Chocolate cups are YELLOW this year.

Park seemed busy with lots of guests but the major ride lines were all very short or non-existent. It was a great day to visit! I will be back on Monday, including a member event and early ride time. If anyone else in TPR land will be there, message me!

20181117_163521.thumb.jpg.a5059aa9ab1449180b511edd914c7b8a.jpg

This is a great addition to the Holiday in the Park lineup!

20181117_181449.thumb.jpg.47c8e5e46bcbfefdc867a2c02d9999cb.jpg

The Georgia Christmas section continues to be my favorite every year.

20181117_185134.thumb.jpg.b0fc1d6758034a65e527fa3bb0854fa2.jpg

Much improved "Because it's Christmas" show in action!

Last nights visit was nothing short of GREAT! The atmosphere was amazing, the weather was nice (chilly, but not cold enough where I couldn't enjoy the rides), and everything was basically a walk on! I didn't even stop by the flash pass office to get my two skip passes. I have to give it to the decoration team too! All the lights were so beautiful! I dont think I stopped smiling last night. Christmas lights are my weakness. LOL

My only disappointment last night was Monster Mansion. Many of the effects weren't working for some reason. I immediately noticed that the little guy that usually flies above your head as you enter the main show building wasn't moving at all. The show also seemed out of sync. Billy Bob's 'Stay out of the Marsh' warning didn't start until we were already going up the lift. We also didn't get the air-horn treatment at the end. I know this seems silly to complain about but Monster Mansion is one of my favorite dark rides so it saddens me to see them neglecting it.

Anyway, I only spent a couple of hours in the park but I was able to get on everything I wanted to ride so I was satisfied! I didn't make it back to the Metropolis Park area but i'll be sure to check it out when I return. And yes, I WILL be returning before Holiday in the Park is over.

--Ride Count--

Scorcher - 1x

Twisted Cyclone - 2x

Acrophobia - 2x

Goliath - 1x

Batman - 2x

Mind Bender - 2x

Monster Mansion - 1x

IMG_1552.thumb.JPG.d5a21c7ddcf76197d1d06d81ac535c42.JPG

What a welcome!

IMG_1553.thumb.JPG.65fa074cc0f36bd4b7a7ba0e0e0e243e.JPG

So many lights!

IMG_1554.thumb.JPG.38f64f3ac92b19fe803d835930563007.JPG

IMG_1555.thumb.JPG.a0e914c0a2f269de5665d23ea7cd1786.JPG

IMG_1557.thumb.JPG.0a65350a9ee9aaaf109cd0a1b299ecbe.JPG

IMG_1560.thumb.JPG.09caaabf748686768e55b3e3d2964718.JPG

IMG_1564.thumb.JPG.5a78dd0f6ec68e900d092f9771397009.JPG

IMG_1566.thumb.JPG.f2c35c2f69049b961b0117f3a8d34d51.JPG

IMG_1568.thumb.JPG.08f86d5e415fc809a7eafc5d0ff9e669.JPG

IMG_1569.thumb.JPG.face67fcb6c17115fd1d772f33079531.JPG

SMORES!

IMG_1570.thumb.JPG.f9c11154bdbea5d75f05e2b06a138f73.JPG

IMG_1575.thumb.JPG.fef84ea670bb559664a52033b8496af9.JPG

IMG_1576.thumb.JPG.85921690bbd6a63768d5a719dd3ebbc5.JPG

Gotham!

IMG_1577.thumb.JPG.4d4d2b0ff02a0fd0a967f49beb45ae09.JPG

I also loved the projections!

IMG_1579.thumb.JPG.86f57b9f1625065dc031dae0e6651396.JPG

IMG_1580.thumb.JPG.457d85a5c50db525361ef7476f68abfa.JPG

Im not really a fan of them removing the Batmobile but it works for them I guess...

IMG_1582.thumb.JPG.9e20caa88ba7a4e4d7afc00e393c4dc8.JPG

I haven't seen them turn the Mindbender sign on all season.

IMG_1585.thumb.JPG.0ed617fe3f7534335c7fc86749dc1092.JPG

I used to work for a park and a concern was raised of putting a strain on the local grid when adding a few new water attractions due to having to run several new pumps and other filtration equipment. The park ended up adding their own sub-station and that was that. Costly, but was all done and everything converted within about 3-4 months in the off season. If that's even a problem at SFOG. Considering their size, they probably already have one, and if it had strain on it, they could just expand it next year when they add their Free Spin and do the launch coaster the following year.

Looking at some aerial views there is a substation almost across the service road from SUF and going back it looks like it has been there the whole time the park has been around. Considering how much the park has grown and how rides are a lot more high-tech now it stands to reason there have been updates to the electrical system as well. If the park needs some updates to their electrical system to make a coaster happen, then they will update their system.

Last nights visit was nothing short of GREAT! The atmosphere was amazing, the weather was nice (chilly, but not cold enough where I couldn't enjoy the rides), and everything was basically a walk on!

Glad we both got to enjoy what may have been one of the best days to visit this season! I will most certainly be back; tomorrow and several more times before the end of the season! I also did notice last weekend Monster Mansion with a few effects not working although "Billy Bob's warning and that annoying (sorry!) air horn at the end were working OK. In years' past, MM would get some seasonal overlay for Halloween and then for Christmas. This year and last the park has not added any of those extra elements to this ride.

Anyway - Hope to see some fellow TPR folks at the park!

My first time visiting the park and it couldn't have gone better. Place wasn't crowded at all today and was completely dead by the end of the night. Towards the end of the night I rode twisted cyclone 4x in the last row without even having to get up since there was no one in the queue. Weather was perfect really, not that cold and only a slight mist of rain here and there but nothing bad. I'm guessing that and black Friday shopping kept the crowds away.

I've been on a lot of RMCs but I never fail to enjoy every single ride on one no matter which one it is. Twisted cyclone is a shorter ride but damn it's a fun one.

Goliath was a lot of fun, walked straight on dare devil drop to the front row. I think the only thing I skipped that was open was the stand up because I don't care about credits at all and wanted to actually enjoy myself instead of putting myself through that misery.

The park looked beautiful with the xmas lights but don't waste your time with the train ride. We didn't wait at all but it wasn't worth it at night, the view of all the lights is better if you just walk around instead.

Overall a wonderful day and I definitely enjoyed the park a great deal but I wouldn't make a trip down here just for the park. I'm down here for something else so it just worked out perfectly.

I've been on a few stand ups and I've never enjoyed any of them, I should have said personal misery lol

I wonder if it's just specific body shapes/sizes?

My son and I both enjoy it (similar height/build). My daughter is shorter and isn't a fan.

I think the only thing I skipped that was open was the stand up . . . putting myself through that misery.

I rather enjoy Georgia Scorcher.

Certainly not misery.

I've been on a few stand ups and I've never enjoyed any of them, I should have said personal misery lol

I’ve hated or at least disliked all stand ups but Georgia Scorcher is one of my favorite coasters.