Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 733 - Two Villainous New Thrill Rides for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 am

Exactly. Tons and tons of parks that have added launch coasters have needed to upgrade their infrastructure along with it.

Carowinds had tons of power issues when they added Carolina Harbor and they're adding a launch coaster as we speak. Amazing how that happens...

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:25 am

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:29 am

coasterbill wrote:Exactly. Tons and tons of parks that have added launch coasters have needed to upgrade their infrastructure along with it.

Carowinds had tons of power issues when they added Carolina Harbor and they're adding a launch coaster as we speak. Amazing how that happens...

And to add on to that, Carowinds has been updating their grid in anticipation of Copperhead Strike as they knew for a couple years it was coming.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby SFOGchick » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:42 pm

boldikus wrote:

^ You just had to did you? :lmao: :lmao:
Top 5 - 1. New Texas Giant 2. Batman: The Ride 3. Twisted Cyclone 4. Georgia Scorcher (SFOG) 5. Titan

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Danrarbc » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:04 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Oh bother, we've gone off the rails again.

This rumour almost certainly comes from Mr. Freeze at Six Flags St. Louis. It was scheduled to open in 1997, but was delayed a year due to power issues. The St. Louis County electric grid wasn't strong enough in that area and they would have frequent rollbacks.

So you know what they did? They paid Amren a sh*tton of money to upgrade the grid, and behold the coaster opened in 1998. And lo, did Six Flags cash in.

If there's one constant in human nature it's that people are stupid, but if there's a chance to profit, we turn on ingenuity.

Mr Freeze was delayed a year because the Texas version had a major collision in testing. The LIM fins ended up raming in to the LIM motors. There were other related issues with the housings.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130324040452/http://home.roadrunner.com/~gep2/mrfreeze.html

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:26 pm

^Did the LIM motors at least enjoy the fins ramming into them..?

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:52 am

Well, it was the 90s. Mr. Freeze was younger and the culture encouraged him. These days he's gentle and makes sure he has consent.

Thanks for the Wayback link, very interesting.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Lotologist492 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:12 pm

coasterbill wrote:Exactly. Tons and tons of parks that have added launch coasters have needed to upgrade their infrastructure along with it.

I have no doubt SFoG can do whatever is needed to upgrade their power capacity to support a launch coaster. We are talking metro Atlanta after all. The only real restriction on ride construction is the height limit due to nearby Brown Field Airport. If SFoG is actually considering a "West Coast Racers" or Maxx Force" clone, those rides stay below that height limit.

Speaking of expansion plans, I asked some employees about the new "ScreamPunk District" and the space where it would actually occupy. It seems the plan is to convert part of the existing Lickskillet area, including the Sky Buckets, Thunder River entrance, go-carts, two eateries and the walkways leading up to the 'Piedmont' (former French) section to the new theme. This area would of course include the new Pandemonium ride along with the repurposed former Whistlestop/Thomas Town area. Miner's Cookhouse, the ShenaniGuns show stage and areas beyond that would retain the Lickskillet theme. The employee in the gift shop across from Cookhouse said that location would feature merchandise themed to both areas. Having visited the only other Six Flags park with a ScreamPunk District (SFMM), I admit I am excited about this cool theming coming to our park!

Postby prozach626 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:03 pm

That link (about Mr. Freeze) is (really) cool (too say it very lightly), but the author loves (the shit out of, of course) parenthesis.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby cparkes92 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Danrarbc wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Oh bother, we've gone off the rails again.

This rumour almost certainly comes from Mr. Freeze at Six Flags St. Louis. It was scheduled to open in 1997, but was delayed a year due to power issues. The St. Louis County electric grid wasn't strong enough in that area and they would have frequent rollbacks.

So you know what they did? They paid Amren a sh*tton of money to upgrade the grid, and behold the coaster opened in 1998. And lo, did Six Flags cash in.

If there's one constant in human nature it's that people are stupid, but if there's a chance to profit, we turn on ingenuity.

Mr Freeze was delayed a year because the Texas version had a major collision in testing. The LIM fins ended up raming in to the LIM motors. There were other related issues with the housings.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130324040452/http://home.roadrunner.com/~gep2/mrfreeze.html

1997 was not a good year for launched coasters. Neither Mr. Freeze opened at all that year, and Chiller (at SFGAdv) opened briefly.
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!