TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

I did my first Horror Nights last night . It was good. We headed straight to Stranger Things, I have never seen but my friend is obsessed . It was pretty good and had some good scary moments . The we did the houses at the back end of the park and just soaked up the atmosphere .

My highlight was meeting Zombie Boy George, tho the photo I got was quite blurred still was so funny. I really enjoyed the Vamp 1985 NYE show.

Overall thoughts on Universal, probably like many others , too many “wear glasses and have a drop of water thrown at you” rides . I’m also over Rip Ride Rockit. I used to quite like it and always choose Beastie Boys or NoDoubt as my soundtrack. However it was rough as anything. It’s also pretty ugly i realised . But hey just my thoughts.

The Mummy remains a fun ride too. And got plenty of re rides

I will forever be upset they didnt move Dragon Challenge to Springfield, paint it green and have it themed to Kodos and Kang. But a guy can dream.

Jimmy Fallon ride was a waste of time . Overall had a great day.

Sidebar: I still mourn Twister and the flying cow

Can't wait to check out Universal for the first time this weekend! I'll save HHN for another time as it looks like going on a Sunday evening would still be crazy per the picture above. They days are going to be long as is with 7am-8pm park hours and then all of the bars and restaurants to take in! Not to mention the surrounding places like Fun Spot, Disney Springs, etc. around the corner for evening fun.

After finally getting the last of the houses in for the first time, I can definitely say that this is one of my favorite years in recent memory for Halloween Horror Nights house-wise. I think my rankings for the year are as follows:

• 1. Poltergeist
    2. Carnival Graveyard
    3. Trick r Treat
    4. Scary Tales
    5. Stranger Things
    6. Seeds of Extinction
    7. Slaughter Sinema
    8. Blumhouse
    9. Dead Exposure
    10. Halloween 4

Yep, avoid waiting in that mess outside the gate at all costs... Stay and Scream.

Avoid that crowd and get early entry. We often the past few years always knock out 4 or 5 houses with minimal or no wait before the crowds roll in. Do it right, you won't require express at all. Or knock 5-6 houses out and then use express when it gets busy!

Will be there Halloween Night this year and a few nights after, can't wait!

^We were able to get Stranger Things (a whopping 10 minute wait, mostly consisting of walking through the giant queue), Poltergeist and Scary Tales done before the park officially opened to regular guests last Saturday thanks to Stay and Scream. And when we were done with those, we were already positioned inside of the park to start hitting the other houses while the lines were short. Especially on the weekend nights, Stay and Scream is definitely the way to go.

^We were able to get Stranger Things (a whopping 10 minute wait, mostly consisting of walking through the giant queue), Poltergeist and Scary Tales done before the park officially opened to regular guests last Saturday thanks to Stay and Scream. And when we were done with those, we were already positioned inside of the park to start hitting the other houses while the lines were short. Especially on the weekend nights, Stay and Scream is definitely the way to go.

Yep... Been flying down to HHN since 2004 and never had any issue getting through all the houses and zones in a single night (we often go 3-4 nights per yearly trip). Stay and Scream is a must, for sure! We often get through each house some 4-8 times by the end of our trip, which makes a BIG difference in “soaking it all in”. Going through a house just once won’t cut it… Bad cast, timing or other things can really make an epic house be ho-hum. The worst part is just waiting in the hold areas for the hour or whatever, especially when hot. But we have been pushing our past two years back to end of October and have been fortunate to get amazing temps in the low 70's vs. 90's that our mid Sept visits were often... Then those cool nights in the low 60’s or high 50’s, even. Love it.

I did see where they reached capacity this year on a night. It seem's Stranger Things really brought in the crowd as a lot of people were wearing shirts, hats and other paraphernalia from the franchise. I didn't think it was that popular!

Those crowds are CRAZY! If I had bought a ticket for that night I honestly would just leave if I had to wait to get in all the way from NBC Sports Grille.

I'm happy that I got Rush of Fear this year, without Bill and Ted I don't need to go on the last night of the event anymore, and these October crowds are varying from "workable" to "sold out and insane" on random nights, whereas September is still reasonable and even pleasant on some nights. I really wish they would add more shows back, 1 main show and Vamp 85's mini dance off are probably the least they've had in that department since the event's inception.

Is there an official capacity for the place published?

From what I can find online it seems that the capacity for Islands Of Adventure is 35,000 and the capacity for Universal Studios is 27,000.

No idea how accurate those numbers are thought. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for posting that Robb!

I thought the Killer Klowns had a house at Universal this year? (or were they just a scare zone)?

the Poltergeist house, the Blumhouse Pictures, and the Stranger Things houses are my favorites from your video.

well done!

The Universal Orlando Resort has announced that the Halloween Horror Nights "Stranger Things" house will reopen to all day guests on November 6th in celebration of Stranger Things Day.

For the first time ever, Universal Orlando Resort will give guests the opportunity to brave an entire, fear-filled Halloween Horror Nights haunted house during the day, after the event has closed.

On November 6, the Upside Down will return to Universal Studios Florida as the incredibly-popular “Stranger Things” haunted house returns for one day to commemorate the anniversary of Will Byers’ disappearance in the critically-acclaimed Netflix series.

Guests will walk in the footsteps of Will as they encounter iconic scenes, characters and environments from the first season of the series – including the menacing Hawkins National Laboratory, the Byers home adorned with an erratic display of flashing Christmas lights and the predatory Demogorgon…which will stalk their every move.

Guests will also be able to enjoy foods and beverages inspired by Netflix’s “Stranger Things” at select locations within Universal Studios on November 6, including San Francisco Pastry Company, Beverly Hills Boulangerie and a special Benny’s Burgers food tent.

The “Stranger Things” haunted house will open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, November 6, and access is included with admission to Universal Studios Florida or with an Annual or Seasonal Pass. Passholders will also get access to the haunted house’s Express line by showing their valid pass at the entrance to the house.

The “Stranger Things” haunted house may be too intense for guests under 13. To purchase park tickets, including Annual Passes which are now available with up to six months FREE, visit http://www.universalorlando.com.

1746547142_StrangerThingsHauntedHouseRe-OpeningonNov.6.thumb.jpg.31bf7709019a1c3785fc15e700698f2e.jpg

Oh man I thought they were going to say they're just going to keep it open nightly going forward, haha. It would be so cool to have a year round haunt and change the story/IP every quarter.

Stranger Things...Day? Okay everyone gets one I guess.

When is it Theme Park Review day?

Oh man I thought they were going to say they're just going to keep it open nightly going forward, haha. It would be so cool to have a year round haunt and change the story/IP every quarter.

Many locals are assuming this is kind of a 'test' to see if we'll get a year round house similar to USH.

Stranger Things...Day? Okay everyone gets one I guess.

When is it Theme Park Review day?

November 6 was the day Will Byers disappeared in the show.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night TPR was invited to attend a media preview of this year's Holidays at Universal Orlando offerings! Across both parks, Universal puts their own spin on the holidays, offering extra entertainment, decor and delicious treats for all guests to enjoy.

At Universal's Islands of Adventure, guests can experience Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter which includes holiday decor, a special holiday set for the Frog Choir and The Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts Castle, a nighttime projection show on Hogwarts Castle itself... And in time for the season, Warm Butterbeer makes its delicious return! The Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular returns this year for guests at Islands of Adventure. This classic show debuts a new set this year, which looks fantastic--and the Grinch is as terribly fun as usual!

Over at Universal Studios Florida, Christmas in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter carries over to London and Diagon Alley with additional decor and a holiday show for Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees. Universal's Holiday Parade featuring Macy's returns after its debut last year, running on select nights throughout the season. Mannheim Steamroller also returns for live performances of the holiday classics on select evenings.

Even at the resort hotels across property, you'll find special holiday decor, photo opportunities and some special moments!

And don't forget, if you're looking to experience New Year's Eve at Universal, EVE at Universal CityWalk is definitely the way to go!

There's plenty to experience this year for the Holidays at Universal Orlando--I highly recommend you plan to visit to soak in the holidays!

1.thumb.jpg.45138041b322cdd74197d83c8866c892.jpg

We’re experiencing a bit of a snow flurry tonight for the holidays media preview event!

10.thumb.JPG.4ece2dcf89dd8efe568e279e7d35d67c.JPG

Time to see one of the first showings of this awesome holiday parade!

11.thumb.JPG.48605e76466e399872ce09f6e371da5d.JPG

The characters from the Despicable Me films are the first you see in the parade.

12.thumb.JPG.d7b3704018d47973ad662afb2dfbe7c5.JPG

Float Bob!

13.thumb.JPG.12100ff93691e281295f1b7c0bb4b4e7.JPG

The Minions certainly know how to celebrate the holidays!

14.thumb.JPG.93bf59325339c30148dc0788fa9ec816.JPG

The Penguins of Madagascar lead the pack for the next group of floats and balloons.

15.thumb.JPG.86652401257e4fa51de65e88e6f5f33a.JPG

King Julien enjoys a moving throne that rolls down the parade route with a giant pineapple in tow.

2.thumb.jpg.5e82ac76a054ddc05fcc18c7ee5a38c1.jpg

Some savory options for the season...

3.thumb.jpg.5100d566b3f4cfbe0f4e5226047eacd6.jpg

Voodoo Doughnut has debuted a new Grinch-inspired doughnut for the holidays and it is easily my favorite creation of theirs so far (it had a tart pineapple filling)!

4.thumb.jpg.66c797cefd99a98a5f424be7781199b0.jpg

There are a bunch of new holiday treats to enjoy this year across the Universal Orlando Resort!

5.thumb.jpg.7093b43fc2336f29dd88476c76706c9c.jpg

Which would you want?

6.thumb.jpg.221679c8b523729d39ac5283b9badaf0.jpg

Dig in!

7.thumb.JPG.d5121ad199e0888ec0f3df39149610b7.JPG

King Julien from the Madagascar films gave us a little taste of Universal’s Holiday Parade Featuring Macy’s!

8.thumb.jpg.09c4ac8afeb318b1570b3c472fbe0152.jpg

The incredible Mannheim Steamroller returns to Universal Studios Florida for live performances of their holiday classics on select nights throughout the season!

9.thumb.jpg.e999bf4cd42ef7e331eb962ea1130ff1.jpg

This huge Christmas tree is a centerpiece of the holiday decor in Universal Studios Florida and lights up as a part of Universal's Holiday Parade featuring Macy’s.

16.thumb.JPG.9be204840a95e9aa7a3c705f66febb12.JPG

Your favorite Madagascar characters make their appearance on the parade route too.

17.thumb.JPG.e42fd86555bc001c10988eefca5e7dff.JPG

Gingy from Shrek looks awesome!

18.thumb.JPG.068981e8cd4e88d1267ed3b1ca954f5c.JPG

Pretty awesome!

19.thumb.JPG.91499cb8bb50c8da7672ecdba771932e.JPG

What's not to love about Shrek?

20.thumb.JPG.d4bd6ac4892dad8c07fb3e4385ca5753.JPG

Some more iconic imagery from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade marks the beginning of the end of the parade...

21.thumb.JPG.943b94143ca2e1aec852dbbbd1d79401.JPG

Santa's little helpers bring a flurry of snow with them!

22.thumb.JPG.3ada2117528e6c2b797144448d6128a4.JPG

The arrival of Santa Claus marks the finale of Universal’s Holiday Parade Featuring Macy’s!

23.thumb.JPG.c29b61369349457aa0b1c8d1a7fc03fa.JPG

The Whos of Whoville welcomed us to the new set of The Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular!

24.thumb.JPG.aaf048d093e0ef2c32892ecf40cf1aee.JPG

We got the chance to spend some more time with the Grinch!

25.thumb.jpg.7e4171f9aaf48fa0c8e9f361df685079.jpg

He even took the time to answer a few questions--and his responses were very honest!

26.thumb.jpg.42b9de697ae3ae89283bb1f3e527af2b.jpg

Christmas in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter sees Hogsmeade dressed up for the holidays...

27.thumb.jpg.e3841f62486037a06d835dc50d08ed35.jpg

The additions are subtle and charming.

28.thumb.jpg.6dda615f35ee69e88fa62d9aac41dfab.jpg

New magic is headed to Hogsmeade next year where Dragon Challenge/Dueling Dragons used to be.

29.thumb.jpg.4ec991c44be1da12c519efc624caf06d.jpg

That's right folks! Hot Butterbeer is back for the season!

30.thumb.jpg.dddcb1b28c36ced43a3445f287926cb9.jpg

The Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts Castle returns to Hogsmeade to enchant guests in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!

31.thumb.jpg.7775d444b05abb4f254e0fc883a919e3.jpg

The show really brings out a unique beauty in Hogwarts Castle.

32.thumb.jpg.21c4a13edd3f5c580d82586efe03948b.jpg

The color really pops during this show!

33.thumb.jpg.2280de8f82f695421a431f7c380cb30a.jpg

I love the spotlight effect too...

34.thumb.jpg.b970ee615377ce28cff6ac65366bd554.jpg

There are even a few fireworks!

35.thumb.jpg.6bebcdc0d977e4f6f4e9efbfd30bf5e4.jpg

Thanks to Universal Orlando for hosting us for this preview event! We'll definitely be visiting the resort again soon to check out all of the Holidays at Universal Orlando offerings again!