TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I know parks are generally a warm weather thing, but I love that parks are doing winter events. I honestly don't get why enthusiasts scoff at the idea of riding big fast things in the cold. People do all sorts of outdoor activities in the winter - skiing, snowboard, sledding etc.

Put on a scarf, gloves and a friggin' hat, sit down, shut up and keep your hands inside the ride at all times.

I know parks are generally a warm weather thing, but I love that parks are doing winter events. I honestly don't get why enthusiasts scoff at the idea of riding big fast things in the cold. People do all sorts of outdoor activities in the winter - skiing, snowboard, sledding etc.

Put on a scarf, gloves and a friggin' hat, sit down, shut up and keep your hands inside the ride at all times.

Don't forget to secure all loose articles or leave them with a non-rider

I honestly don't get why enthusiasts scoff at the idea of riding big fast things in the cold. People do all sorts of outdoor activities in the winter - skiing, snowboard, sledding etc.

Because people are bitches.

Honestly I'd much rather go to a park when it's in the 30's than some of those brutal 100+ degree, ridiculous humidity days we experienced at the Florida parks last June. You can dress for the cold. You can'd do anything about heat and humidity.

Riding coasters in the cold is the best, in part because of the absurdity of it all but also because it's just flat-out fun. It's also terrific drinking weather (especially since parks always roll out warm, spiked deliciousness) and tons of firepits.

... OMG can it be Holiday in the Park like... now?

What's worse than waiting on line for 4 hours for Anaconda? Sitting at home commenting about it.

I'm was pretty sure the 240 minutes was a mistake when I saw it posted by boldikus. I went to queue times when I saw his post (maybe an hour after he posted it) and the Anaconda wait was 45 minutes, while all the other wait times were about the same time.

Due diligence people.

:lol: I assumed it was a mistake too but would make for a funny post.

And for the record, that was not doctored/shopped, I did screenshot that just as it looks.

I know you didn't doctor it, but I knew it couldn't be true having been at the park a week ago when the park had the same size crowds and Anaconda was 60-90 minutes it just didn't make sense. Anaconda still draws a line, people love their loop de loops.

I've been the park quite a lot since 2006 and I've only seen anaconda with more than a station wait maybe three times? All on a saturday. I don't think I have ever seen it with a longer line than Italian Job.

And I see here a lot that nobody ever has to wait for Intimidator, thats true for mabye half my visits other times the wait ranges from 15-60 minutes with one train, which for a giga coaster is not long at all but to say it always has a station wait is simply not true.

:lol: I assumed it was a mistake too but would make for a funny post.

And for the record, that was not doctored/shopped, I did screenshot that just as it looks.

I know you didn't doctor it, but I knew it couldn't be true having been at the park a week ago when the park had the same size crowds and Anaconda was 60-90 minutes it just didn't make sense. Anaconda still draws a line, people love their loop de loops.

and the bang-da-bangs

tho to be fair, when we were there in late July, while still rough it was not terrible, and only got a minor head-bang coming out of the corkscrew over the water.

Quick TR from this weekend. Pictures minimal.

So I arrived for opening on Friday night, a little bit after opening at 7. Decent enough crowds...

DSC_0549.thumb.JPG.c52f10d0a171ad46c95eb1b076c8df3f.JPG

Made my way into Old Virginia and came across one of their roving troupes of musicians.

DSC_0551.thumb.JPG.c864fdd31e5b717058c57bacafd6cd69.JPG

I then Tollway Terror, their driving haunt, as it is known for huge lines and is not available on the Fright Lane program.

DSC_0555.thumb.JPG.410aecf3079bf6d6a4491f8f145be7b9.JPG

DSC_0556.thumb.JPG.ac6419eb3f9bfb6cfce3a94f121c04bb.JPG

Not too bad.

This is often the best of their haunts, since it allows some space between cars/groups. I have to admit a few of the actors actually got me good.

Hopped on Grizzly with a station wait...

DSC_0559.thumb.JPG.0523c4547469d985a18e72b3e5168c03.JPG

And didn't get beat up too bad, so 7/10.

I then hit up Blood on the Bayou, which was actually grouping people to leave some gaps. This was the only house I experienced this on all weekend, much to my disappointment; all of the others (and this one one Saturday night) were just sending continuous streams of people trough. Given that the lines were reaching 2-3 hours on Saturday night, I guess this is necessary, but kinda ruins the experience.

I then went to Anaconda for a decent wait, and found it a lot smoother than I remember. Never go away. 6/10.

Backlot Stunt Coaster and Intimidator's line was full siwtchbacks, so I passed. The Lockdown house had a line out into the midway. Saw Volcano had a fence erected by its entrance/FL queue...hope this doesn't bode poorly for this rides future.

DSC_0570.thumb.JPG.30338e4ac53daeeedcc0e77573ed3d2b.JPG

I saw Avalance had a substantial line, so I just headed back to the hotel, as I had the entire day at the park the next day ahead.

Day 2, I arrived right at 10:00 for opening and quickly hopped on Dominator (definitely has that B&M rattle, 6/10) and Berserker, which I haven't been on an inverting ship in probably a decade. Classic ride.

Tried to go towards Avalanche with Platinum Pass early entry, but apparently they weren't doing it today, so just hung out for a while until the rest of the park opened.

Hit Woodstock Express for the first public train of the day, then it was onward to Intimidator 305, which had a decent line but didn't take more than 20 mintues. 10/10 as always.

The hopped on front row of Backlot after a brief 2 train wait. 7/10.

Wandered back towards Twisted Timbers and found a substantial line and one-train operations, so decided to grab some breakfast (a double cheeseburger) at the Juke Box Diner. I was the only customer, and had to order via a screen, and then wait about 15 minutes for a super-dry burger. Not impressed.

I then went for Bad Apple, Racer 75, and Drop Tower, all with minimal waits, and decided to head back to the hotel for a nap and to get ready for the night's festivities.

Got back to the park at around 5:45, and bought both Fright Lane and Fastlane Plus passes after seeing the security lines. This would turn out to be a great purchase, especially the Fight Lane.

DSC_0595.thumb.JPG.293d36f1c39f88e41bb59e67c35dadb7.JPG

So from here I get a bit fuzzy on the order (forgot to take pictures as I went through), but I did all of the other mazes (except Blackout) and found them par for the course for Cedar Fair haunts - decent artistry but no real scares. No Vacancy: Condemed was nearly black inside but they gave flashlights to just about everyone which eliminated the point. Notably all of the mazes had 2-3 hour lines, extending well beyond their setup queue lines, often backing up to nearby maze lines and getting mixed together.

As for rides, I hit Avalanche (please never remove this, 8/10), Twisted Timbers (10/10), and the swings.

I also got a burger from the food truck Mambo Burger, which took much longer than it should have for a only halfway decent burger.

Day 3, I swung back into the park just for a front row ride on Twisted Timbers, and then made by way back to Delaware.

Next Trip: KD for Winterfest.

Edited by Mike240SX

^There was a taco truck in Candy Apple Grove near Racer a few weeks ago.

The only way to do Tollway Terror without a fairly long wait is to get Fright Lane and queue up for the ride when it just starts getting dark (not as much fun in broad daylight).

You're right about the "artistry" in the mazes. I think Knott's is a pretty strong influence on the other Cedar Fair Haunts (but the talent used is variable).

Edited by cfc

^Where in the park is the "foot" truck?

Good catch.

The Mambo Burger food truck was near the rear of Candy Apple Grove, next to the Taco truck and smoking zone, and across from the Beer truck, near Racer 75/Windseeker/Twist&Shop.