TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

So one question I have. Unless I am mistaken, It appears as though the restaurant, ice cream parlor, and retail shop will be accessible from both inside and outside the park. How will they handle this?

My guess is that they'll only be accessible from the front when the park is closed (as Chocolatetown will be open year-round).

So one question I have. Unless I am mistaken, It appears as though the restaurant, ice cream parlor, and retail shop will be accessible from both inside and outside the park. How will they handle this?

My guess is that they'll only be accessible from the front when the park is closed (as Chocolatetown will be open year-round).

So that begs the question, what defines ChocolateTown? From reading, the fountain, carousel, Starbucks, etc, are all considered part of ChocolateTown. Yet, the carousel, fountain, and starbucks are located within the park and the restaurant, ice cream parlor, and retail are accessible from both (just found that out). I guess this is to be answered later, so will the carousel, starbucks, and fountain be open year round?

First and foremost, this expansion looks dope. I’m definitely in the “the current entrance is cool and quaint but it doesn’t work for a park this large” group.

Another interesting thing for me as a local, and something that’s become increasingly interesting over the years, is the Hershey/Dorney dichotomy. In the late 90’s I would say they were fairly similar in stature; you could even give Dorney the edge because Hershey didn’t have a waterpark at the time, but it’s crazy to see the different routes each has taken. Hershey has emerged into a destination park with a roller coaster collection that stacks up with the best in the country, and Dorney has remained relatively stagnant and has been relegated to a local, sort-of-regional-but-not-really park that I would imagine most enthusiasts/park goers are ambivalent about.

I have the same fascination with as you say, the Hershey/Dorney dichotomy.

I live in Eastern PA and we always had many large amusement parks to choose from, but for the most part Dorney was the park of choice in the late 80's/early 90's. As you said the water park was a big reason.

What really gave Dorney the edge was when they built Hercules, which made the headlines as a record(and back) breaking coaster. Then they added Steel Force several years later and it seemed to cement Dorney as the go-to park in this region.

Then the late 90's-today happened and Hershey just blew them out of the water(pun intended) with steady coaster additions and eventually their own water park(with arguably better water rides).

Not that Dorney is bad, but Hersheypark is just superior in almost every single way. This new entrance looks absolutely stunning, and you can't really go wrong with a B&M hyper.

I'm excited for this time next year when I assume they will announce the specs of the new coaster.

As for the coaster, every B&M hyper is awesome and I'm sure this will be too. They have mass appeal and everyone loves them. I do think it's pretty weird to have two hypercoasters right next to eachother right up front but they'll undoubtedly feel like drastically different experiences. I'll never complain about any park building a super fun, high capacity B&M hyper.

I agree with this 100% - And yes, while I wouldn't "complain" about a big, new, fast, high capacity, B&M being built, it also doesn't make me want to go out of the way to make a special visit to the park.

To get you to visit again though I see they are adding a......2,200-square-foot Starbucks® Store also.

In my opinion, Dorney really stopped having a leg to stand on against hershey in 2012, when Skyrush opened and blew everyone's minds. Ranking a coaster that intense, that mind numbingly insane against Steel Force? I don't think so, honey.

I highly doubt they would do that.

Agreed, Bobby. This felt largely like a way to counter the fact that the Chocolate World experience is outside of the park. It always felt like a huge loss on the concession-side for the park the the most immersive part of the Hershey chocolate experience was outside of the park AND there was nothing really inside the park that was as comparable.

I don't understand. People keep saying things like this as though there never was a restaurant, snack locations, or a shop outside the park, but hasn't there ALWAYS been a restaurant, snack locations, and a shop in that front area entrance that you have to pass by on the way to Chocolate World?

It's not as though this new front entrance area is going to introduce things like a restaurant, shops and snack locations that are a new concept for Hersheypark, these things have ALWAYS been there, right?

I look at it this way: it didn't matter if there were shops at the current entrance. Most people -- park attendees and people passing through the town, get their souvenirs at Hershey's Chocolate World. It is a destination anchor attraction unto itself. The gift shops within the park are not. You're right: the additions themselves are not remarkably different concepts. The point though is that this is re-branding and the PR will definitely make it seem as such (as you have already witnessed in the reaction). Why?

Another way to think of it is that we all know many, even thrill seekers, would choose one (Chocolate World) over the other (Hershey Park) for the mere fact that I visit Hershey, PA for the chocolate experience. It was really a blunder that the brand (chocolate) became more identified with the attraction across the lot from the park rather than the park itself. It would be as if Legoland would build the largest LEGO Emporium in the country across the street from LEGOLAND Park (as you really would want Lego lovers to go to the park). If Coca-Cola had a park, I would expect the World of Coca-Cola to be within the all-day park experience not a separate attraction (even if I loves coasters, I would drive to experience coke. Hershey really is no exception). Destination tourist will pay for either, but stand to spend more money at the park rather than a mere store.

I see this really as a re-branding (if I love chocolate, I should want to go the Hershey Park). Especially with locating the larger scale chocolatier confecture experience and the largest Hershey chocolate merchandising venue now within the park gates, as Chocolate World was previously host to both claims to fame in the country).

This is a win-win all around for the Hershey Company.

So that begs the question, what defines ChocolateTown? From reading, the fountain, carousel, Starbucks, etc, are all considered part of ChocolateTown. Yet, the carousel, fountain, and starbucks are located within the park and the restaurant, ice cream parlor, and retail are accessible from both (just found that out). I guess this is to be answered later, so will the carousel, starbucks, and fountain be open year round?

Oh my god, it's a glorified new entrance and gift shop. No.

Listen to Robb. "ChocolateTown" is a gift shop and a new entrance that's replacing an existing entrance and gift shop. Given the amount of people falling for this marketing ploy hook, line and sinker I feel like Cedar Point missed out on marketing gold by not calling their new entrance area "KeyholeTown" when they built Gatekeeper.

Thank you. That's what I had thought. While I love the whole idea of this new entrance area as I absoultely HATE what is currently there now, I think people are seeing this announcement and going "Oh, man... it will be GREAT that Hersheypark will now have restaurants, shops, and snack locations OUTSIDE of the park! WOW! What a great idea!!!"

But these things have ALWAYS been there. At least in the 20-something years I've been going to the park. They aren't new, they are just getting a much, MUCH needed rebuild & update!

I remember seeing the restaurant and it looked pretty drab in person. With the other great offerings at Hershey Lodge, we didn't even consider eating there. Hopefully this refresh will make any restaurants or shops look more appealing. I'm sure it will, as intended. Although the whole area looked 'quant' and 'nice,' it was easy to walk by all of the shops without even paying attention to them. They didn't do anything to draw us in. Aside from when we had to go to Dunken Donuts for hangover sandwiches and strong coffee...

Although some people will be upset about the loss of the nostalgia, this seems to be a much needed refresh. For those who want nostalgia, Knoebels has it by the shit load and is not too far away. Hershey Park has different intentions of making money while pleasing guests. They do it well.

Here, look. This is the new entrance... I mean, "ChocolateTown". Everything in red is clearly only going to be open when the park is open aside from maybe the bathroom because there would be no reason for any of it to be open otherwise. The rooftop bar is obviously inside the park and will only be open when the park is open.

looklooklook.thumb.png.39bbbfde855140656cf96afd756f7310.png

Agreed, Bobby. This felt largely like a way to counter the fact that the Chocolate World experience is outside of the park. It always felt like a huge loss on the concession-side for the park the the most immersive part of the Hershey chocolate experience was outside of the park AND there was nothing really inside the park that was as comparable.

I don't understand. People keep saying things like this as though there never was a restaurant, snack locations, or a shop outside the park, but hasn't there ALWAYS been a restaurant, snack locations, and a shop in that front area entrance that you have to pass by on the way to Chocolate World?

It's not as though this new front entrance area is going to introduce things like a restaurant, shops and snack locations that are a new concept for Hersheypark, these things have ALWAYS been there, right?

I look at it this way: it didn't matter if there were shops at the current entrance. Most people -- park attendees and people passing through the town, get their souvenirs at Hershey's Chocolate World. It is a destination anchor attraction unto itself. The gift shops within the park are not. You're right: the additions themselves are not remarkably different concepts. The point though is that this is re-branding and the PR will definitely make it seem as such (as you have already witnessed in the reaction). Why?

Another way to think of it is that we all know many, even thrill seekers, would choose one (Chocolate World) over the other (Hershey Park) for the mere fact that I visit Hershey, PA for the chocolate experience. It was really a blunder that the brand (chocolate) became more identified with the attraction across the lot from the park rather than the park itself. It would be as if Legoland would build the largest LEGO Emporium in the country across the street from LEGOLAND Park (as you really would want Lego lovers to go to the park). If Coca-Cola had a park, I would expect the World of Coca-Cola to be within the all-day park experience not a separate attraction (even if I loves coasters, I would drive to experience coke. Hershey really is no exception). Destination tourist will pay for either, but stand to spend more money at the park rather than a mere store.

I see this really as a re-branding (if I love chocolate, I should want to go the Hershey Park). Especially with locating the larger scale chocolatier confecture experience and the largest Hershey chocolate merchandising venue now within the park gates, as Chocolate World was previously host to both claims to fame in the country).

This is a win-win all around for the Hershey Company.

God damn... You love parenthesis.

Here, look. This is the new entrance... I mean, "ChocolateTown". Everything in red is clearly only going to be open when the park is open aside from maybe the bathroom because there would be no reason for any of it to be open otherwise. The rooftop bar is obviously inside the park and will only be open when the park is open.

[attachment=0]looklooklook.png[/attachment]

You had me at "Coaster that's not as good as Skyrush"

I love this new entrance area. When I went with some friends in the spring, we got there around opening and the security line was wayyy back up the hill you walk down into the entrance area, making us believe that we were in for a slammed park day, when it really didn't end up being very busy at all, it's just that they only had room for like 2-3 security checks across.

Whoever said that "thrill seekers" and other people are going to visit would choose Chocolate World over Hersheypark or whatever, you're drunk.

I don't really understand why anyone would care whether the rebuilt food stations/bar are inside or outside the park gate, especially if they won't let you walk around the park holding a drink anyway. If Starbucks is pre-gate, get it then go through security after. If the bar/restaurant ends up being pre-gate, just exit then re-enter when you're done?

Also...didn't they file with the planning board a few months ago for an attraction "no more than 220 feet in height"? If those are accurate, that should put to bed any rumors about it being a Giga and not a hyper. It looks fun, but I'm most excited about it drawing people towards it instead of Skyrush.

IMO, Leviathan and Fury do offer "different" experiences than their hyper-counterparts....

But that "difference", mainly lying in them simply being better...

Having an ejector air-time hyper in Skyrush and then a more graceful B&M hyper will be quite a dynamic duo.

I don't think there can ever be a more dynamic duo than MF and Steel Vengeance though...

Fix'd

I see everyone saying it's going to be a hyper... did I miss something, or is that just the going theory? "Tallest fastest longest sweetest" compared to what, exactly?

Whether it's a giga or a hyper I don't care, this new development looks awesome! Hershey is already one of my favorite parks and it's getting even better! I can't wait to see this unfold and I'm definitely going to add it to my list of "must visit" parks for 2020.

You had me at "Coaster that's not as good as Skyrush"

I love this new entrance area. When I went with some friends in the spring, we got there around opening and the security line was wayyy back up the hill you walk down into the entrance area, making us believe that we were in for a slammed park day, when it really didn't end up being very busy at all, it's just that they only had room for like 2-3 security checks across.

Whoever said that "thrill seekers" and other people are going to visit would choose Chocolate World over Hersheypark or whatever, you're drunk.

I don't really understand why anyone would care whether the rebuilt food stations/bar are inside or outside the park gate, especially if they won't let you walk around the park holding a drink anyway. If Starbucks is pre-gate, get it then go through security after. If the bar/restaurant ends up being pre-gate, just exit then re-enter when you're done?

Also...didn't they file with the planning board a few months ago for an attraction "no more than 220 feet in height"? If those are accurate, that should put to bed any rumors about it being a Giga and not a hyper. It looks fun, but I'm most excited about it drawing people towards it instead of Skyrush.

They actually have 6 or 7 security checks crammed in that tiny area! That's how insanely packed it gets in there. Also, yes there are FAA filings at 220 ft so no giga.

And Bill also had me at coaster that is not as good as Skyrush

It looks fun, but I'm most excited about it drawing people towards it instead of Skyrush.

I love B&M hypers but I really love Skyrush so this is basically how I feel about the new ride.

Haha, yeah totally. This is just a bigger version of what's already there. It'll probably be more efficient, which means you can get to early entry on Skyrush faster. Yay.

Take a Google Walkthrough and you can see the issues. I'm going to Hersheypark for the first time this spring. Looking forward to Skyrush for sure!

Anyways, you can see the congestion issues that could arise from the narrow walkway, people using the shops, and just stupid people. Look at all the big parks, they are all going to a minimalistic, open and very "user-friendly" entrances. Sure, not the charm, but charm rarely sells ticket (unless you're a county fair).

Lotte World has been doing this for years with the shopping mall restaurants in Underland. Normal entrances in the mall, themed on the park side and then a small divider fence in the restaurant with areas to place orders either side.

Found some pics from my old TR.

Fenced one.

This one wasn't fenced and you can see the mall from the park. The staff would check tickets and unlock the gate if I remember correctly.

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. Hersheypark Place was good, but it was a bit of a pain to go out and then have to go back through security and all. Would be nice not to have to do that. Although over here it'd probably have to be more than just a fence since Americans are awful and would probably try to slip contraband items across.

How about Hershey KING SIZE. for the name or ... Hershey's Drops... King Size.

Oh wow. We're already playing the name game...

ffck my life

If it were up to me, I'd name it "This Ride Is Much Better Than Skyrush" so I can ride Skyrush more. But that's just me.