TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

I am starting to get a bit concerned about the placement of Yukon Striker. It is soooo quiet around that area right now. I get it, with the construction going on, but when the water park is closed, the only use for the path that goes from Minebuster over to Timberwolf Falls is going to be for Yukon Striker. Even when SkyRider was still there, that path is pretty much unused when Splash Works is not open, and when Timberwolf Falls and White Water Canyon are closed too, that part of the park is actually very dead. I think they really need to add a few more flat rides back there. Just adding more shops is not going to increase traffic by that much. That path will be used mainly for Yukon Striker riders when the water park is not open. I'm just not sure if people heading to Yukon Striker will be stopping at any new shops. The new shop near White Water Canyon was empty every time I went in there.

Sounds like part of the plan is to liven up that area of the park. I'm sure you'll see a lot more vendors and traffic in the area. They'll find a way to make it more vibrant. I wouldn't be surprised if CW will add more attractions to that area in the park within the coming future, based on your observations. Although let's face it; parks feel less lively when their water parks are closed all together.

I am starting to get a bit concerned about the placement of Yukon Striker. It is soooo quiet around that area right now. I get it, with the construction going on, but when the water park is closed, the only use for the path that goes from Minebuster over to Timberwolf Falls is going to be for Yukon Striker. Even when SkyRider was still there, that path is pretty much unused when Splash Works is not open, and when Timberwolf Falls and White Water Canyon are closed too, that part of the park is actually very dead. I think they really need to add a few more flat rides back there. Just adding more shops is not going to increase traffic by that much. That path will be used mainly for Yukon Striker riders when the water park is not open. I'm just not sure if people heading to Yukon Striker will be stopping at any new shops. The new shop near White Water Canyon was empty every time I went in there.

Sounds like part of the plan is to liven up that area of the park. I'm sure you'll see a lot more vendors and traffic in the area. They'll find a way to make it more vibrant. I wouldn't be surprised if CW will add more attractions to that area in the park within the coming future, based on your observations. Although let's face it; parks feel less lively when their water parks are closed all together.

100% - think about how dead the areas were Leviathan and Behemoth were before they were built. They add great energy and sometimes new areas like the Behemoth midway.

And even better than those rides - Yukon Striker's interaction with the lake and the pathways will really create some amazing kinetic energy in that area.

The best way to get action in that area is to build a really great new attraction. You can't do it any other way. So I would say what they are doing is actually really good. The park needs to be more evened out in terms of attractions to keep traffic flow better among its guests.

I'll be at the park tonight! Looking forward to it as I haven't been to CWs haunt in a few years. I like that they are going a silent disco this year... those are always fun 8) -- I also love that they re-skin wonder mountain, too. Curious how it will go with the $9.99 tickets... -- though they have BOGO Fright Lane if needed... will probably need it?

I'm at the park today. Great day to be here. No lines for pretty much anything. Here is the view of the drop hill construction of Yukon Striker from the Behemoth station.

Also noticed a neat sign while waiting to get on Vortex. They did a competition with their sister coaster at King's Island... or is it Dominion? Whichever one has the suspended coaster called the bat.

IMG_20181007_1315551.thumb.jpg.cea28f3270c3d772022d4ec73d235345.jpg

IMG_20181007_1137591.thumb.jpg.3819fd272b9e806fd35043d1b28ad6b6.jpg

That capacity "battle" is actually quite interesting. Both rides have the exact same layout, and the Bat has an extra car per train, so you think that it would win. But then again, the entrance is way out in the middle of nowhere so the trains are probably less full then on Vortex. Interesting!

I didn't take pictures this weekend but at the turnaround for YS near the Flying Canoes - there seems to be going up some pretty cool rusted steel theming

Also Vortex going around the YS drop is pretty great. I really like how they incorporated the rides and lake together. Query though on the tunnel - does anyone else think it is strange the tunnel is only for the pull out after the vertical drop is finished. Oblivion and Sheikra both have the tunnels start during the vertical portion of the drop.

I really like how they incorporated the rides and lake together. Query though on the tunnel - does anyone else think it is strange the tunnel is only for the pull out after the vertical drop is finished. Oblivion and Sheikra both have the tunnels start during the vertical portion of the drop.

Without checking rcdb, i presume the ys drop is higher. This would mean more speed and a longer pullout. It would require a deeper tunnel if you started pullout after entering it.

If the tunnel is deeper than 60’ it would be considered a subway and be subject to service cuts, short turns, broken air conditioning and “tunnel fuzz”.

Hope that helps.

So if I am understanding the stats correctly, Yukon is the exact same height as Valravn. It just has a longer drop and is faster since it goes underground, right? For some reason it still seems taller to me but I guess that could be because Valravn is part of a more competitive skyline.

Maybe it might have something to do with it being less overshadowed at a park like CW, vs CP.

I didn't take pictures this weekend but at the turnaround for YS near the Flying Canoes - there seems to be going up some pretty cool rusted steel theming

That's not theming. It's shoring (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoring).

It looked pretty high and permanent - could be both. Never thought about Shoring. Good catch.

I really like how they incorporated the rides and lake together. Query though on the tunnel - does anyone else think it is strange the tunnel is only for the pull out after the vertical drop is finished. Oblivion and Sheikra both have the tunnels start during the vertical portion of the drop.

Without checking rcdb, i presume the ys drop is higher. This would mean more speed and a longer pullout. It would require a deeper tunnel if you started pullout after entering it.

If the tunnel is deeper than 60’ it would be considered a subway and be subject to service cuts, short turns, broken air conditioning and “tunnel fuzz”.

Hope that helps.

I wasn't suggesting tunnel go deeper - rather start above ground mid-drop ala Sheikra

BvZ6b4DIEAMyZn-.jpg

Hope that helps.

I wasn't suggesting tunnel go deeper - rather start above ground mid-drop ala Sheikra

BvZ6b4DIEAMyZn-.jpg

Wow! That's looks a lot better than a block of concrete eh?

But then again, Canada's Wonderland has never had a lot of theming anywhere.

^ for an AMUSEMENT park, Canada’s Wonderland has some pretty great theming. Midevil Faire immediately comes to mind. The shops and what not all have that old English towne feel to them, which is modernized and emphasized with Leviathan’s station. The simple yet effective Canadiana theming is also evident through out the new Frontier Canada, and action zone definitely feels like action zone with how things are set up and organized. Just because it’s not Disney Quality does not mean it’s non-existent. Canada’s Wonderland is one of the most beautiful parks I’ve been to and I give some of that credit to its colorful and intracate nature. Even international street, it’s a phenomenal front entrance to the park! Darien Lake has a big ole alley of asphalt with two food stands and a gift shop that lead towards a small fountain and another gift shop. Canada’s wonderland probably has more stores and theming in its entry plaza than Darien Lake has in its entirety - and Darien Lake is technically referred to as “Darien Lake Theme Park Resort”, where wonderland is “Canada’s Premiere Amusement Park”. They know they aren’t about theming but they do it anyways!

Also looking at the natural beauty with multiple bodies of water that interact with rides, a forest like vibe that goes into Frontier Canada and both kids areas that makes you feel like you're not beside one of North America's busiest highways. All of the flowers that wow you when you enter the park is a nice addition too.

As well as it being centred around a mountain that makes Magic Mountain blush!