TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Musicals

IceDragon

This just in! Promotional photo posted at http://www.broadway.com for

Moulin Rouge ~ The Musical

The musical starts previews tomorrow in Boston. Then, on to The Broad Way!

So excited to see Aaron Tveit back on Broadway, it looks amazing!

Interesting to read customer reviews in Boston. Mixed bag. The talent, the technical work and the pure spectacle of the show are greatly applauded. But the main disappointments seemed concerned with the adaptation of the music and writing. Some found it too "gimmicky" and "hokey." But I suspect it will attract audiences for all its positives - surely for its 'ole razzle dazzle!'

Alice

^ Honestly, you never know these shows. It's all right time of the year, the economy,

travelers from out of town...who knows what really keeps a show going or not?

But, it also reminds me that "Finding Neverland" got totally blocked from any TONY noms...and still managed

to run for a decent amount of time, AND even tour.....which I think it's still doing? Not sure. But even so.

Also, just to add... I am sooooo happy I lived and went to the earlier years of Broadway, being the 1970s-90s.

I saw so many original musical, and not pay through the roof (nowadays) to see such shows. And a a lot of times,

TIX in Times Square gave me many 1/2 price shows to enjoy, truth!

I saw Richard Burton in Equus (1976) w-1/2 price ticket!

^ Honestly, you never know these shows. It's all right time of the year, the economy,

travelers from out of town...who knows what really keeps a show going or not?

But, it also reminds me that "Finding Neverland" got totally blocked from any TONY noms...and still managed

to run for a decent amount of time, AND even tour.....which I think it's still doing? Not sure. But even so.

Also, just to add... I am sooooo happy I lived and went to the earlier years of Broadway, being the 1970s-90s.

I saw so many original musical, and not pay through the roof (nowadays) to see such shows. And a a lot of times,

TIX in Times Square gave me many 1/2 price shows to enjoy, truth!

I saw Richard Burton in Equus (1976) w-1/2 price ticket!

Richard Burton in EQUUS! 1/2 price ticket! Whatta major coup! You lucky, lucky guy! (I saw Equus, but Burton was no longer in it.) What a magnificent play! (Hard to believe I actually got a call-back for the young girl's role -- but I was in England then...and no way were they not getting a "name" for that part. But it was fun to see John Dexter at the open call. And it was equally fun to - many years later - win an original EQUUS tee-shirt at Bdway's annual Shubert Alley raffle - (black with that beautiful horse head graphic)!

Yup! I agree 100 percent with you that the "Golden Age of Musicals" was a cool time to be around. You saw more Broadway musicals than most of my friends - and you have the greatest collection of music and posters!

Alice

• 3 weeks later...

This just in.

Craig Zadan, Trailblazing Smash Producer Who Reignited Musicals on Screen, Dies at 69

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/193110/craig-zadan-trailblazing-smash-producer-who-reignited-musicals-on-screen-dies-at-69/

I have loved several of his musical productions, either live on stage, on tv (i.e. Bette Midler in Gypsy, 1993; Smash),

or in the movie theatre (i.e. Chicago 2002). I will miss him.

CraigZadan.jpg.74b2e40eb5a9a2f162dd3edb64624a56.jpg

This just in.

Craig Zadan, Trailblazing Smash Producer Who Reignited Musicals on Screen, Dies at 69

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/193110/craig-zadan-trailblazing-smash-producer-who-reignited-musicals-on-screen-dies-at-69/

I have loved several of his musical productions, either live on stage, on tv (i.e. Bette Midler in Gypsy, 1993; Smash),

or in the movie theatre (i.e. Chicago 2002). I will miss him.

A sad loss of an exceptional talent. He leaves a legacy that the Broadway world will deservedly keep alive!

Alice

Neil Simon, Tony & Pulitzer Winner of Lost in Yonkers & The Odd Couple, Dies at 91.

He also wrote the libretto of a several musicals in his time...."Sweet Charity," "They're Playing Our Song," and "Promises Promises," to name a few...

A giant in the theatre world. He will be missed.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/193120/neil-simon-tony-pulitzer-winner-of-lost-in-yonkers-the-odd-couple-dies-at-91/

Neil Simon, Tony & Pulitzer Winner of Lost in Yonkers & The Odd Couple, Dies at 91.

He also wrote the libretto of a several musicals in his time...."Sweet Charity," "They're Playing Our Song," and "Promises Promises," to name a few...

A giant in the theatre world. He will be missed.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/193120/neil-simon-tony-pulitzer-winner-of-lost-in-yonkers-the-odd-couple-dies-at-91/

Neil Simon was a gem. (I'd forgotten about his musical librettos.) His prolific comedies kept so many actors working during the 'golden age' of tours and dinner theaters! It was fun to do his shows - they all had a similar comedic style that set up every 'punchline.' He was a genuine talent, and I truly feel sad that yet another Broadway legend, and a nice guy, is gone....

Alice

And one more Broadway Light, gone forever....

"Carole Shelley, Tony Winner for The Elephant Man & Original Cast Member of Wicked, Billy Elliot, Dies at 79."

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/193180/carole-shelley-tony-winner-for-the-elephant-man-original-cast-member-of-wicked-dies-at-79/

I actually got to see her as part of the ensemble cast in "The Norman Conquests", with Estelle Parsons, Ken Howard....in March of 1976.

CaroleShelleyWicked2003.jpg.eb1637288c93e468c54990cbbd3f948c.jpg

The original Madame Morrible in Wicked. R.I.P. Carole.

And as well....

It looks like this IS The List of CDs for the 2017-18 Broadway Season. 11 this time 'round. Last Season's(16/17) was 17!

And next Season's is already starting up, with Pretty Woman:The Musical cast cd out this fall!

And the off-Broadway smash Be More Chill has just announced it's coming to Broadway next Spring!

So get the off-Broadway cast cd of it available now on Amazon, before it sells out!

The2017-18Season.JPG.3d908fb906ef1a76d842f55a2563e328.JPG

Started with A Prince (Harold) and ended with A Queen (Summer).

BeMoreChilloff-B.jpg.f0e34c8b5943154c545a7dd8ccc295af.jpg

Coming to Broadway next Spring.

PrettyWoman.jpg.490e62d6ddc6aef154d91e445f495807.jpg

Coming your way in late October. (o:

Edited by Nrthwnd

I know that Broadway will probably not dim its lights for Bert Reynolds, but to his genuine credit, he had a place in his heart for theater. Bert Reynold's Dinner Theater in Jupiter, FL was a special place for both audiences and its actors from around the country. He took a lot of pride in bringing theater to his beloved region of FLA. (I got a call back once for final casting in God's Favorite (I LOVED the goofy twin sister part), but alas the final director from LA called in at the very last moment, thought I was 'too much of an ingenue' and not 'goofy' enuf for his version of brooooad comedy. Yeah, boy did it hurt. ''The part that got away.' (I LOVED that Simon comedy schitck.) I had stayed at my mom's home in the FL area, practically being assured by Director No. 1 that I had the part!! Depression time! Anyway! I know many performers who DID work at Bert's theater and it was an excellent experience! How sad that this legend is gone....

Alice

And as well....

It looks like this IS The List of CDs for the 2017-18 Broadway Season. 11 this time 'round. Last Season's(16/17) was 17!

And next Season's is already starting up, with Pretty Woman:The Musical cast cd out this fall!

And the off-Broadway smash Be More Chill has just announced it's coming to Broadway next Spring!

So get the off-Broadway cast cd of it available now on Amazon, before it sells out!

Merci!

Alice

This one is really sad for me.

Marin Mazzie, Platinum-Voiced Tony Nominee of Passion & Ragtime, Dies at 57

"Marin Mazzie, the beloved Broadway star who lent a powerful balance of drama and comedy to a variety of roles on Broadway, died on September 13 in New York City, according to The New York Times. The cause of death was ovarian cancer. Mazzie was 57.

Mazzie turned heads when she originated the role of Clara in Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine's musical drama Passion (1994), earning her first Tony nomination as Best Featured Actress in a Musical. A few years later, Mazzie introduced the role of Mother in Ragtime (1998), a musical version of E.L. Doctorow's iconic novel adapted by Terrence McNally, Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty. The show netted Mazzie another Tony nom, as Best Leading Actress in a Musical.

Mazzie struck gold again with a comedic turn as Lilli Vanessi/Katharine in a Broadway revival of the Cole Porter-scored musical Kiss Me, Kate (1999). The production earned Mazzie another Tony nod as Leading Actress in a Musical. She later reprised her acclaimed performance in London, earning a 2002 Olivier nomination.

In 2010, Mazzie and real-life husband Jason Danieley replaced in the roles of married couple Diana and Dan Goodman in Broadway's Next to Normal. In addition to this shared stage turn, the couple regularly performed cabarets at venues including midtown's Feinstein's/54 Below. Mazzie and Danieley met in 1996 while rehearsing the play Trojan Women: A Love Story; they married in 1997.

Mazzie's additional Broadway credits include Man of La Mancha (2003), Spamalot (2008), Enron (2010), Bullets Over Broadway (2014) and The King and I (2016), which marked her last Broadway credit. Her off-Broadway work included roles in And the World Goes 'Round (1991), The Vagina Monologues (1999), Carrie (2012) and her final New York stage turn, McNally's Fire and Air (2018).

In 2017, Mazzie was inducted into the Theater Hall of Fame."

I wanted to post all of the obit from http://www.Broadway.com ~ She had a wonderful voice, and one of the best "acting voices" around. I think one of my most favourite parts she played, was that of the Mother in the Off-Broadway (smash) production of CARRIE. "When There's No One" is still a chilling haunting song to me, sung by her in that production. I never got to see her live onstage, unfortunately, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating what a truly special gift she had....and was.

She will be missed a lot.

Marin_Mazzie.jpg.2f50f14c1362950d21cf018db1198554.jpg

MarinMazzieBulletsOverBrdwy2014.jpg.ebbb89ebd03d89953617c8d1e8117679.jpg

"Bullets Over Broadway" 2014.

CarrieTheMusical-2012a.jpg.447ea14ea7c99d08f63a66d792b3c735.jpg

Taking bows, with Molly Ranson, in "Carrie" 2012.

This one is really sad for me.

Marin Mazzie, Platinum-Voiced Tony Nominee of Passion & Ragtime, Dies at 57

"Marin Mazzie, the beloved Broadway star who lent a powerful balance of drama and comedy to a variety of roles on Broadway, died on September 13 in New York City, according to The New York Times. The cause of death was ovarian cancer. Mazzie was 57.

Mazzie turned heads when she originated the role of Clara in Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine's musical drama Passion (1994), earning her first Tony nomination as Best Featured Actress in a Musical. A few years later, Mazzie introduced the role of Mother in Ragtime (1998), a musical version of E.L. Doctorow's iconic novel adapted by Terrence McNally, Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty. The show netted Mazzie another Tony nom, as Best Leading Actress in a Musical.

Mazzie struck gold again with a comedic turn as Lilli Vanessi/Katharine in a Broadway revival of the Cole Porter-scored musical Kiss Me, Kate (1999). The production earned Mazzie another Tony nod as Leading Actress in a Musical. She later reprised her acclaimed performance in London, earning a 2002 Olivier nomination.

In 2010, Mazzie and real-life husband Jason Danieley replaced in the roles of married couple Diana and Dan Goodman in Broadway's Next to Normal. In addition to this shared stage turn, the couple regularly performed cabarets at venues including midtown's Feinstein's/54 Below. Mazzie and Danieley met in 1996 while rehearsing the play Trojan Women: A Love Story; they married in 1997.

Mazzie's additional Broadway credits include Man of La Mancha (2003), Spamalot (2008), Enron (2010), Bullets Over Broadway (2014) and The King and I (2016), which marked her last Broadway credit. Her off-Broadway work included roles in And the World Goes 'Round (1991), The Vagina Monologues (1999), Carrie (2012) and her final New York stage turn, McNally's Fire and Air (2018).

In 2017, Mazzie was inducted into the Theater Hall of Fame."

I wanted to post all of the obit from http://www.Broadway.com ~ She had a wonderful voice, and one of the best "acting voices" around. I think one of my most favourite parts she played, was that of the Mother in the Off-Broadway (smash) production of CARRIE. "When There's No One" is still a chilling haunting song to me, sung by her in that production. I never got to see her live onstage, unfortunately, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating what a truly special gift she had....and was.

She will be missed a lot.

Hard to believe that such a talented, vibrant performer has been taken at such a young age. She was so full of life. I wish I'd seen her cabarets. I bet they were spectacular! I'm glad that Broadway dimmed the lights for her....she so deserved that.

Alice

^ If you haven't got it already, you should try and get her live act CD, at 54 Below....

Amazon.com ~ "You think you know three-time Tony Award Nominee Marin Mazzie from her recent show-stopping turn in BULLETS OVER BROADWAY, her corseted characters in RAGTIME and PASSION or maybe from the scene-chewing screwballs of KISS ME KATE and SPAMALOT... or possibly you thought you gained a glimpse of her as the star of NEXT TO NORMAL (heaven help us if that is really her in the guise of Margaret in CARRIE!). Come hear the real Marin Mazzie as she steps back into her formative years with an evening of fun and fantasy as we get inside the head of a Midwest girl and the music she loved."

Review

'Marin Mazzie embodies the description 'all woman' more completely than almost anyone else on Broadway.

An amusing, savvy show... she sets off sparks from the opening number.' --The New York Times

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Kind-Music/dp/B00WMCOQS6/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1537051424&sr=1-4&keywords=marin+mazzie&dpID=61m37QmpDxL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch (Of course, at this time now, it's Temporarily Out of Stock.)

I expect that there is a big sales surge now, on whichever CDs Marin has sung on or with. So IMhO....Buy "Carrie" NOW!

https://www.amazon.com/Carrie-Musical-Premiere-Cast-Recording/dp/B008VTRJQ0/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1537051704&sr=1-2&keywords=carrie&dpID=61sF1XJBJ6L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch My "OMGomgOMGomg...Insanely Brilliant!" Review of it is on the last page (5) of Reviews. And the review is still true today, nearly 6 years later.

MarinMazzie54.jpg.ddb2937a29e8fa9ca094ba8fc60a0bfa.jpg

Thankfully, we have her wonderful voice on so many CDs.

On and Off Broadway; Concept musical albums... awesome!

Edited by Nrthwnd

^ If you haven't got it already, you should try and get her live act CD, at 54 Below....

Amazon.com ~ "You think you know three-time Tony Award Nominee Marin Mazzie from her recent show-stopping turn in BULLETS OVER BROADWAY, her corseted characters in RAGTIME and PASSION or maybe from the scene-chewing screwballs of KISS ME KATE and SPAMALOT... or possibly you thought you gained a glimpse of her as the star of NEXT TO NORMAL (heaven help us if that is really her in the guise of Margaret in CARRIE!). Come hear the real Marin Mazzie as she steps back into her formative years with an evening of fun and fantasy as we get inside the head of a Midwest girl and the music she loved."

Review

'Marin Mazzie embodies the description 'all woman' more completely than almost anyone else on Broadway.

An amusing, savvy show... she sets off sparks from the opening number.' --The New York Times

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Kind-Music/dp/B00WMCOQS6/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1537051424&sr=1-4&keywords=marin+mazzie&dpID=61m37QmpDxL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch (Of course, at this time now, it's Temporarily Out of Stock.)

Thanks! Will check it out!

Alice

Saw this little gem on Sunday. Gotta say, I was very surprised at what a great show it was. I had seen the movie but heard nothing about the musical. Great performances. The children were freaking amazing! Like Matilda amazing! the music was fantastic. I am thinking this Andrew Lloyd Webber dude is quite a talent. I see great things in his future.

Next Sunday I am taking the whole family to Avenue Q! None of them have ever seen it before. Including Alana. I am so very excited!

2094650216_SchoolofRock.thumb.jpg.d067bf94dace01c819decfda1bcf2d27.jpg

Great family show!

Saw this little gem on Sunday. Gotta say, I was very surprised at what a great show it was. I had seen the movie but heard nothing about the musical. Great performances. The children were freaking amazing! Like Matilda amazing! the music was fantastic. I am thinking this Andrew Lloyd Webber dude is quite a talent. I see great things in his future.

Next Sunday I am taking the whole family to Avenue Q! None of them have ever seen it before. Including Alana. I am so very excited!

So Guy....how did you and your family enjoy Avenue Q?

Alice

^ I love the look of this stage set with the wings as part of the street itself!

When I saw it in previews in London, I don't think the wings were as elaborate

as these. Glad everybody enjoyed it, Guy!

We're coming up on our third go, seeing "The Book of Mormon" Wednesday evening.

Then (I treated myself), I'll be seeing the show again on Sunday. My fourth time!

EDIT(27th): We saw it last night, and it - was - just as awesome - as the last two times we saw it!

Everybody was on their feet the second the curtain came up for the bows. And we had "Mormon Virgins"

sitting beside us, who just howled at everything! All 4 women told us they were definitely seeing it

again, next time it came into town, We agreed with that. And I see it another time on Sunday!

And I even bought the t-shirt!