Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Attractiepark Slagharen - September
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Re: Photo TR's: JordyC's Theme Park Adventures

Postby BitterOldHag » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 am

That Caterpillar ride doesn't seem to have ANY restraints. Is that the case? Perhaps that's why it doesn't spin too fast? Regardless, that looks really weird not seeing any kind of lapbar or anything on a ride with Himalaya-style seats.

Also, that roller coaster looks awesome. There's just something about the almost homemade appearance that I would love to see in person someday. Maybe I should start saving as I'm certainly not getting any younger!

Thanks for sharing your trip reports. I have enjoyed the thus far and look forward to the rest.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby JordyC » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 am

BitterOldHag wrote:That Caterpillar ride doesn't seem to have ANY restraints. Is that the case? Perhaps that's why it doesn't spin too fast? Regardless, that looks really weird not seeing any kind of lapbar or anything on a ride with Himalaya-style seats.

Yes, that is indeed the case. It doesn't have any restraints. I forgot to mention that :lol:

BitterOldHag wrote:Also, that roller coaster looks awesome. There's just something about the almost homemade appearance that I would love to see in person someday. Maybe I should start saving as I'm certainly not getting any younger!

Well, Rodelbaan is technically home made, since it was built by the park itself back in 1930. It is an awesome classic ride, though!

BitterOldHag wrote:Thanks for sharing your trip reports. I have enjoyed the thus far and look forward to the rest.

Thank you! My trip reports from the two other parks I've visited that day will be coming soon.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Coasters: 232 || Parks: 44

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Great report! Rodelbahn looks like the definition of a homemade ride. I had no clue it even existed. Also how steep is that lift?

I thought Canobie had the last remaining Caterpillar with a canopy. I stand corrected.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Disney California Adventure & Disneyland

Postby JordyC » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:39 am

^Thanks! The lift hill is surprisingly steep, it has to be at around 45 degrees. I have to admit, going up the steep lift hill for the first time, without any real restraint was quite scary.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

Postby JordyC » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:10 am

Plopsa Indoor Coevorden - September 2018

Hello everyone!

On September 8th, I did something rather unusual. I visited three parks in one day; De Waarbeek, Plopsa Indoor Coevorden and Slagharen. They are relatively close together, at most a one hour drive.

The second park of the day was Plopsa Indoor Coevorden. Plopsa Indoor Coevorden is an indoor theme park, located next to Center Parcs in Coevorden. Like the name suggests, it belongs to the Plopsa group, which includes Plopsaland De Panne, Plopsa Indoor Hasselt, Plopsa Coo, Holiday Park, etc. Like all Plopsa parks, Plopsa Indoor Coevorden was well themed. That is probably the best part about this indoor park; the theming. Despite it being a kids park, there is a good variety of rides. There are a few flat rides, one of which was surprisingly intense, a big slide, a playground and, of course, a coaster. There is also an outdoor section, which consists of another playground, a few attractions and a small petting zoo.

DSC_0779.JPG
Welcome to Plopsa Indoor Coevorden!

DSC_0787.JPG
As soon as you enter the park, you are greeted by Samson and Gert -- a well-known duo of Studio 100.

DSC_0780.JPG
There are lots of details on all the buildings.

DSC_0799.JPG
I really love the look of the park's entrance area.

DSC_0789.JPG
There entrance area is home to some bumper cars for the smallest ones. It looks great.

DSC_0790.JPG
When you enter the park, there is a double decker carousel on the right, ...

DSC_0808.JPG
..., and a wave swinger on the left.

DSC_0784.JPG
The park's restaurant.

DSC_0794.JPG
More theming on Plop's restaurant.

DSC_0793.JPG
You can find this ride at practically every Plopsa park.

DSC_0796.JPG
A huge tree with a big slide acts as a play area for the kids (or if you're young-hearted).

DSC_0797.JPG
I am pretty sure that if you aren't from Belgium or the Netherlands, all these characters might seem a bit weird. But here, we all grew up with them.

DSC_0809.JPG
Even the lamps are themed.

DSC_0807.JPG
I will always enjoy a big slide.

DSC_0806.JPG
There is also a large theater where shows take place.

DSC_0817.JPG
There were actually more rides at this park than I thought.

DSC_0823.JPG
They have also got a disco area!

DSC_0820.JPG
Ahoy, pirates!

DSC_0834.JPG
You can take a raft to cross the little lake, or you can be boring and just use the pathways. Guess which route I took?

DSC_0837.JPG
Some more lovely pirate theming.

DSC_0838.JPG
Woeste Zee (Rough Sea) is the park's rockin' tug.

DSC_0852.JPG
The ride itself isn't that great, but the theming certainly is.

DSC_0824.JPG
Vuurtoren (lighthouse) was next.

DSC_0875.JPG
It is a fun ride, where you even get a few small pops of airtime.

DSC_0874.JPG
Wickie the Viking is another themed area that is home to the park's only roller coaster.

Wickiebaan (3.5/10)
The main attraction of the park is Wickiebaan, a Zierer junior coaster. It has a standard layout, but the theming is what really makes this ride. The lift hill takes you through a skull into the very dark indoor section of the coaster (I know, an indoor section in an indoor park). There is some nice theming in there. Apart from the majority of the ride being in the dark, the coaster itself isn't that memorable. The first drop does give a small pop of airtime in the back seat, though. It is also fairly smooth and takes you around twice. While Wickiebaan is just a junior coaster, I actually really enjoyed it. This proves again how a bit of theming can make a ride so much more enjoyable.

DSC_0876.JPG
Time to ride Wickiebaan.

DSC_0832.JPG
It looks like he enjoyed it.

DSC_0855.JPG
The dark "indoor section" is where most of the action happens.

DSC_0857.JPG
Wickiebaan is quite smooth and gives you two laps.

DSC_0893.JPG
Flying passed those rocks.

DSC_0897.JPG
It is a fun little ride, nothing special. The theming is what makes it, though.

DSC_0873.JPG
Time to ride Anubis.

DSC_0882.JPG
It is a bit like a frisbee ride, where it spins you around while rocking back and forth, but on a much smaller scale. Because of this, the swinging is actually pretty intense, more than I expected it to be. It doesn't do a full 360, but it swings you up practically vertical. It also spins quite fast, which made it even more intense. The cycle lasted for a good 2 minutes, too.

DSC_0884.JPG
I really enjoyed Anubis. It ended up being my favorite ride at the park.

DSC_0899.JPG
The outdoor section of the park is home to Plopsa's famous fountains.

DSC_0900.JPG
Again, lots of play equipment to enjoy.

DSC_0904.JPG
They have also got a little petting zoo.

DSC_0903.JPG
Just three random goats in a row, only at Plopsa.

DSC_0910.JPG
You can even learn how to drive a car, isn't that great?

DSC_0907.JPG
Or if that's not for you, you can learn how to be a firefighter as well.

DSC_0911.JPG
Or you can just enjoy all the play equipment.

So overall, I had quite a good time at this indoor theme park. The main highlight was Anubis, a fairly thrilling flat ride for what is basically a kids park. The other highlight was the coaster and just in general experiencing this park for the first time. I know it is a kids park, but I really liked this place. Not necessarily for the rides, but for the atmosphere and theming at this park.

Thanks for reading!
Quality Over Quantity

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:17 am

Awesome report! That park looks incredibly cool. I especially like the look of that mini frisbee. I'm not sure if I'll ever make it there considering their lack of a star coaster and my time in Europe would always be limited.

I never realized there was a second Skull Mountain. :lol: I'm guessing this one doesn't play heavy metal music like Great Adventure's though.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Disney California Adventure & Disneyland

Postby JordyC » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:56 am

^Thank you! I'd say that when you're in the area, it is certainly worth a visit. You can even maybe do the same as what I did, and visit these three parks in one day. But I can definitely see why someone would give priority to other parks, especially when your time is limited.

What if I told you that there is even a third Skull Mountain, at Plopsa Indoor Hasselt. :p
Quality Over Quantity

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:44 am

I love seeing theme-heavy indoor parks like this! Thanks so much for sharing another excellent report!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby JordyC » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:11 am

Attractiepark Slagharen - September 2018

Hello everyone!

On September 8th, I did something rather unusual. I visited three parks in one day; De Waarbeek, Plopsa Indoor Coevorden and Slagharen. They are relatively close together, at most a one hour drive.

The final park of the day was Attractiepark Slagharen. It is a Wild West themed park and holiday park that is located in Slagharen, the Netherlands. Slagharen consists of two areas, which are connected by a Mainstreet with shops and restaurants. I simply love Wild West theming, and all the theming at this park is very well done, especially the Mainstreet and the buildings around it. The atmosphere at this park was also fantastic, with lots of themed music playing around the different areas. Despite the park itself being rather small, there is a good variety of rides and attractions. They have a couple of water rides, lots of different flat rides, a classic cable car, a surprisingly good dark ride, a junior coaster and, of course, Gold Rush -- the park's Gerstlauer Infinity coaster that replaced the iconic Schwarzkopf Looping Star in 2017.

DSC_0912.JPG
Welcome to Slagharen!

DSC_0921.JPG
Let's start with a ride on the park's log flume.

DSC_0935.JPG
It has two drops, but none of them will make you wet.

Mine Train (4/10)
Mine Train is the park's junior coaster, a standard model from Vekoma. While these are fun, they don't really do much. The drop provides a bit of airtime if you're in the back seat. The rest of the ride consists of a couple more turns which are all quite smooth. Like most rides at Slagharen, it was also nicely themed.

DSC_0916.JPG
Next up, Mine Train.

DSC_0913.JPG
Mine Train is the park's Junior coaster.

DSC_0914.JPG
The drop provides a bit of airtime, while the rest of the ride consists of a few turns.

DSC_0945.JPG
Smile for the camera!

DSC_0947.JPG
It is an excellent family coaster.

DSC_0956.JPG
Slagharen is also home to a Jules Verne themed area.

DSC_0958.JPG
Phileas Fun House isn't a fun house, but a giant indoor play area for the kids.

DSC_0963.JPG
You can learn how to drive in Jules Verne style.

DSC_0957.JPG
It is a very pretty park, with lots of theming.

DSC_0960.JPG
The park is also home to a classic Enterprise, which is manufactured by Schwarzkopf, not Huss.

DSC_0964.JPG
Flying elephants at Slagharen.

DSC_0967.JPG
A small carousel for the kids.

DSC_0969.JPG
Expedition Nautilus is another water ride.

DSC_0968.JPG
It is probably one of the least themed rides at the park.

DSC_0979.JPG
Slagharen really has a great variety of rides.

DSC_0980.JPG
The park's rockin' tug looked nice, despite the ride itself being not that great.

DSC_0977.JPG
There is also a cable car that takes you from one side of the park to the other. I love these kind of rides.

DSC_0997.JPG
The cable car takes you over the Mainstreet to the other area of the park. I really like that you literally went above the other guests.

DSC_0982.JPG
Lots of shops and places to eat at Slagharen.

DSC_0983.JPG
El Torito was my next ride. It looks very nice, but the ride itself wasn't very forceful and you barely spinned. You did get a long cycle, though.

DSC_0988.JPG
The park is also home to what is probably the most unique wave swinger ever.

DSC_0994.JPG
The monorail passes through the building, where you get a tiny dark ride section.

DSC_1003.JPG
The drop tower didn't really fit in with the rest of the park, in my opinion. It had no theming and just didn't look nice when you compare it to the rest of the park.

DSC_0992.JPG
The ride itself wasn't very good either. The best part of the ride are the views you get from the park.

DSC_1008.JPG
Slagharen's giant and unique carousel.

DSC_2001.JPG
The Mainstreet is home to lots of shops and restaurants and connects the two areas of the park.

DSC_2002.JPG
It is also the best themed area at Slagharen.

DSC_2007.JPG
I simply love Wild West theming.

DSC_2006.JPG
The atmosphere in this area was fantastic.

DSC_2004.JPG
El Teatro is a 4D cinema. I didn't ride it.

DSC_2003.JPG
The park is also home to a huge ferris wheel.

DSC_2012.JPG
Are we in Paris now?

DSC_2017.JPG
It is a gorgeous park.

DSC_2024.JPG
Some more themed buildings.

DSC_2058.JPG
This is quite possibly the shortest Antique Cars ride ever. It goes out of the station, around this tree, and then back into the station. All set and done in less then 40 seconds. What a ride!

DSC_2063.JPG
There are also lots of play areas for the kids.

DSC_2082.JPG
Convoy Race. It is not really a race, though.

DSC_2084.JPG
Lots and lots of flat rides. This one is a classic, but I always enjoy these.

DSC_2085.JPG
The park's Pirate Ship.

DSC_2136.JPG
Wild West Adventure was the biggest surprise of the day. I knew that it was a dark ride, but I didn't know that it would be this good. It is a boat ride that takes you through the Wild West, passing Cowboys and Indians. The theming in there is simply fantastic and so are the special effects. There even is fire! It is located near the back of the park, so make sure you don't miss this one. It is a very good dark ride.

DSC_2089.JPG
Even more play areas.

DSC_2087.JPG
The park's other, smaller ferris wheel.

DSC_2141.JPG
Eagle VS. Cobra

DSC_2140.JPG
There aren't that many of these left, so I made sure that I rode it. It was quite enjoyable.

Gold Rush (8/10)
The newest ride at Slagharen is Gold Rush, the new-for-2017 triple launch Infinity Coaster. Gold Rush is very well themed, and has lots of little details throughout the queue and in the station. The ride was fairly smooth, but it did have a bit of a rattle. It didn't take away from the ride experience at all, though. Your ride begins when you gently launch forwards for the first time. After going up for about a quarter on the first element, you roll back into the launch. This backwards launch is way more snappy than the first one, and really pushes you forwards out of your seat. You then travel up into the dive loop, where you hang upside down for what has to be at least 4-5 seconds while experiencing one of the best hangtime moments on any coaster ever. Seriously, it is insane, even more so when you're in the back of the train. Next, you travel back down and are launched for a third and final time. After this very snappy launch, you are going full speed and shoot straight up on the ride's top hat. At the top, you get some great views of the holiday park, before flying out of your seat the whole way back down; floater airtime in the front, ejector in the back. The ride's first inversion is taken at high speed, but still provides a bit of hangtime at the top. After some high G's exiting the Sling Loop, you travel over an airtime hill that gives strong ejector airtime. A high-G overbanked turn over the queue is followed by Gold Rush's final and best inversion, the Dive Loop. This inversion aggressively throws you out of year seat when you make a quick left twist before diving upside-down towards the ground. The launches then act as brakes and guide you back towards the station.

Gold Rush is a very good coaster, and a great overall experience. It is short ride, but it really packs a punch and does a lot of different things. It has fantastic hangtime, ejector airtime and it is well themed. The fact that Gold Rush's trains are also very open and only have lap bars make the fast transitions, airtime and hangtime even better. Gold Rush is an excellent coaster and worth a trip to Slagharen just for that.

DSC_2020.JPG
It is finally time to ride Gold Rush.

DSC_2145.JPG
It is the new-for-2017 triple launch Infinity Coaster that replaced the park's iconic Schwarzkopf Looping Star.

DSC_2144.JPG
Gold Rush is well themed and has lots of details around the ride.

DSC_2054.JPG
The ride starts when you launch forwards, whereafter you roll back into the launch. This backwards launch is more intense than the first one.

DSC_2123.JPG
You travel up backwards into the dive loop, where you hang upside down for what seemed an eternity.

DSC_2124.JPG
Seriously, this is one of the best hangtime moments you'll ever experience.

DSC_2032.JPG
After the third launch, you fly full speed straight up on the ride's top hat.

DSC_2111.JPG
Some excellent views from up there.

DSC_2072.JPG
You are out of your seat the whole way down. Awesome!

DSC_2115.JPG
After plummeting back down, you travel up the first inversion.

DSC_2077.JPG
It is taken at a high speed, but you still get some unexpected hangtime.

DSC_2093.JPG
You experience some high G's while exiting the Sling Loop.

DSC_2104.JPG
The airtime hill that follows takes you over the station.

DSC_2050.JPG
Great ejector airtime!

DSC_2146.JPG
Despite the slight rattle, Gold Rush is quite smooth.

DSC_2128.JPG
The overbanked turn guides you over the queue towards the final inversion.

DSC_2091.JPG
Gold Rush ends with its final and best element -- the Dive Loop.

DSC_2135.JPG
This inversion aggressively throws you out of year seat when you make a quick left twist. The lap bar makes it even more insane.

DSC_2138.JPG
You then dive upside-down towards the ground, where the launches act as brakes and guide you towards the station.

DSC_2074.JPG
It is a short ride, but it does a lot of different things. And it does it all very well.

DSC_2041.JPG
Gold Rush is a fantastic coaster, and an even better overall experience.

So overall, I had a great time at this lovely Wild West park. The main highlight was Gold Rush, easily one of the best coasters in the Netherlands. The other highlights were the dark ride and just in general experiencing this well themed park. Slagharen was actually a lot better than I originally thought. I love all the theming at this park, and the atmosphere is outstanding too. Combine all of this together, and you have one of my favorite small theme parks.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by JordyC on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:54 am.
Quality Over Quantity

Postby JordyC » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:18 am

jedimaster1227 wrote:I love seeing theme-heavy indoor parks like this! Thanks so much for sharing another excellent report!

You're very welcome. Yes, me too! I love theming, and when it is all indoors it makes it even more lovely.
Quality Over Quantity

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!