TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Screamscape:

Park News - (9/16/18) Various confidential sources have all chimes in with similar stories, claiming that both El Diablo and King Cobra are leaving the Six Flags property and heading to other parks.

I mean, still take it all with a grain of salt, but it's interesting that these conversations seem to be continuing rather than dying out. I like El Diablo but certainly won't miss it. King Cobra, pfft, good riddance. We were supposed to get retrofitted drop towers instead, anyway.

Screamscape:

Park News - (9/16/18) Various confidential sources have all chimes in with similar stories, claiming that both El Diablo and King Cobra are leaving the Six Flags property and heading to other parks.

I mean, still take it all with a grain of salt, but it's interesting that these conversations seem to be continuing rather than dying out. I like El Diablo but certainly won't miss it. King Cobra, pfft, good riddance. We were supposed to get retrofitted drop towers instead, anyway.

As I've never been to GAdv's Hurrican Harbor (and why is it separate admission and why no path or shuttle to it from the dry park?); why good riddance to King Cobra?

And yeah, if the retrofitted drop towers refers to modifying Zumanjaro so it and KK can run at the same time, I'm all for that.

I like Diablo, I dont want it to leave. If the operator gives you the extended edition it's a fun ride.

Removing King Cobra is insane unless they plan on adding 12 replacement slides. The negligence shown towards Hurricane Harbor is criminal and Senator Booker should investigate.

...I know Im going to get booed for this, but Fright Fest....should I go this weekend or next weekend? Do more people go for the first weekend, or does nobody think about fright fest until October?

As I've never been to GAdv's Hurrican Harbor (and why is it separate admission and why no path or shuttle to it from the dry park?); why good riddance to King Cobra?

And yeah, if the retrofitted drop towers refers to modifying Zumanjaro so it and KK can run at the same time, I'm all for that.

It's separate admission because they make more money that way, and with it way out there there's no obstacle to it.

They used to run a tram to the waterpark (and Safari tour bus back before the days of Off-Road Adventure). With all of the barricades they put up for the Preferred/Diamond whatever parking lot, there's no way for the tram to get to the main gate, so they stopped it. That, and they disbanded the parking lot department...Fun fact: I used to drive and spiel on the that very tram in my youth.

A bunch of the rides in the late 80s had three-year lifespans. Ultra Twister, Shockwave, and Condor each were only around for three years, and Sarajevo Bobsled was around for about four. Also, some of the rides added in 1999 were taken out after only three years, too.

Went to fright fest on Saturday. Had a good time.

Feel free to direct any fright fest related questions my way.

Hot tip: After 11pm, everything was a walk-on. Did 2 of the mazes in 10 minutes total. Diablo was a walk-on. Got in line for Toro at 11:55pm, empty station. Could have done another round but GF wasnt feeling good.

Ka was stuck on one of the little hills on the way back to the station, with people being walked down the stairs. Surprisingly, it was back up in the evening. App said 100+ wait so I didnt attempt, but was likely a walk-on at park closing.

• 2 weeks later...
Seeing more and more people talking about El Diablo leaving the park. What's the last ride here that had a lifespan this short? It was only added in 2015. Curious to see what they do with that spot now if this is legit since it doesn't make sense to remove it otherwise.

Rumor is that they're replacing it with the newer version of the Larson Loop without the joystick since they don't like it and neither does New Jersey. However rumor is that it will be shipped to La Ronde for Chaos.

I don't know why they'd replace an existing ride with the same ride when I'm sure it's more than possible to just add a new control panel. I guess we'll see.

Not in Jersey. The state is so draconian with laws regarding modification of existing rides that it makes it easier to tear down and rebuild than to modify. Look no further than King Cobra, getting taken down and shipped to Mexico instead of being modified for safety.

Plus, it's a "two birds, one stone" type of deal. They get the NJ government off their backs and can still use the ride in a park (La Ronde) which needs it.

Well, I'll be making my trip up there on Columbus Day.

I don't really plan on getting a FP (someone said many pages back that Columbus Day isn't really that crowded) for the rides, but may for the Haunted Attractions

Which show(s) and haunted attractions do you all recommend?

Well, I'll be making my trip up there on Columbus Day.

I don't really plan on getting a FP (someone said many pages back that Columbus Day isn't really that crowded) for the rides, but may for the Haunted Attractions

Which show(s) and haunted attractions do you all recommend?

I really enjoyed the acrobatic show in the theater (Unleashed I think?). The first showing was at capacity so either get their early or try a later one

Blood Drums was fun too. Its just outside, standing, so you can watch a bit and leave if you like, zero time commitment.

Aftermath was the best maze of the ones I went through. Hell Fest was the worst.

It looks like yesterday was one of those "This is why we give up trying to predict crowd levels for Great Adventure" kind of days.

75 minutes for Skyway??

150 minutes for Kingda Ka??

Almost an hour for Skull Mountain??

... on a Sunday (albeit some people are off today)??? Damn, sounds like everybody had themselves a Six Flags day.

It looks like yesterday was one of those "This is why we give up trying to predict crowd levels for Great Adventure" kind of days.

75 minutes for Skyway??

150 minutes for Kingda Ka??

Almost an hour for Skull Mountain??

... on a Sunday (albeit some people are off today)??? Damn, sounds like everybody had themselves a Six Flags day.

80 degrees in October...

I think weather is the number 1 indicator for crowds

It was a nice day for sure but Saturday was 70 degrees and perfectly nice also and pretty much every other park in the region had larger crowds on Saturday than Sunday (according to Queue Times at most parks and personal experience at Knoebels, though they did have an event going on).

PS: No Fright Fest today, weather is about the same as Saturday, most people have to work and...

43487517_10155786049462314_2384894691205185536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&oh=736c816debf9c0c05b47fd89c4521523&oe=5C191BF8

From the Great Adventure Connoisseurs Facebook group

... just give up trying to make sense of it.

I thought there is Fright Fest today? The park used to be open until 8 on Columbus Day and they changed it to 10 a few years ago. When I would go the park that day, I would wait until around 5 to get there when crowds weren't bad getting in and with people going to the mazes. Ride lines were usually not bad later in the day. 10+ years ago the park also used to make Columbus Day bring a friend free day combined with some groups visiting the park and there were 2 hour lines.

I thought there is Fright Fest today? The park used to be open until 8 on Columbus Day and they changed it to 10 a few years ago.

You know what, I actually may be wrong on that. I saw a few people saying that but I don't see it on their website. Forgive me, I don't pay a ton of attention to the goings-on at Fright Fest aside from what pops up in my news feed since I generally avoid the event entirely.

Yeah that's understandable avoiding Fright Fest, I used to only go to the park that time of year on Friday nights when crowds were reasonable. Now when some of the coasters are getting hour waits even on a Friday night in September, I won't visit again until next month.

I don't think I can comprehend how insane FrightFest at Great Adventure gets after I've been to Kings Dominions Halloween Haunt and Scarowinds on Saturdays before. Holy crap there are way too many humans in these places for Halloween.

It was a nice day for sure but Saturday was 70 degrees and perfectly nice also and pretty much every other park in the region had larger crowds on Saturday than Sunday (according to Queue Times at most parks and personal experience at Knoebels, though they did have an event going on).

PS: No Fright Fest today, weather is about the same as Saturday, most people have to work and...

43487517_10155786049462314_2384894691205185536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&oh=736c816debf9c0c05b47fd89c4521523&oe=5C191BF8

From the Great Adventure Connoisseurs Facebook group

... just give up trying to make sense of it.

That picture makes no sense to me, why aren't the season pass holder doubling the membership line?

Not joking, two weekends ago 1 out of every 2 people in that line had a season pass and got turned away at the gate. Either needs a sign saying "no season passes" or a guy checking people's pass. Now this is a first world problem!

Not my photos, taken from the GA Conn group. Apparently its a little busy.

ga.thumb.jpg.729ca87361ded54287f3b60191178c41.jpg

ga2.thumb.jpg.8dc3c0ea6640ed43e622695e8eb17afc.jpg

ga3.thumb.jpg.e898b7be200e4b74152dfa768a33e01d.jpg

ga4.thumb.jpg.ebc8a16fe78121ecd1de0df7a2dfa1a9.jpg

579995872_Screenshot_2018-10-13SixFlagsGreatAdventureQueueTimes(1).png.e6d75cc3c4ae5329d6f7190a416107fb.png

1942512664_Screenshot_2018-10-13SixFlagsGreatAdventureQueueTimes(2).png.940c2d5bd4122ef3ff211bcb3f0ec802.png

547596800_Screenshot_2018-10-13SixFlagsGreatAdventureQueueTimes(3).png.98cfa75e5b0aaa7f352f4bf24c62b039.png

1534455442_Screenshot_2018-10-13SixFlagsGreatAdventureQueueTimes(4).png.0fc032b2f65617591809a842ee211593.png

Nice to see The Mountain holding its own. And no surprise no one feels like walking to Guam for the worlds tallest drop ride.