TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Not sure which Cedar Point some of these last posts were talking about, but we had a blast last Friday and Sunday at the Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio.

The park was beautiful, the haunts were fun, the rides had mostly short lines, and the food carts scattered throughout the bottom half of the park were a welcome addition. To put it simply, we had fun.

Now we didn't go Saturday, but any quick search in this forum would have told you to avoid Saturday.

Steel Vengeance was a wild ride, but Maverick is still #1 in my heart. Thanks to all you guys for convincing me to hit up Sky Ride, Cedar Downs, and the museum. The park has some real hidden gems if you look past the amazing coasters.

And thanks for the Magnum seatbelt trick.

I was there this past weekend (Friday, Saturday, left Sunday morning) as well. Overall, it was a blast. Lines were great Friday night (as usual) and shorter on Saturday when we compared them to going last October. We did Magnum, TTD, and then Magnum two more times in a half hour starting around 11.

The new band on the midway was pretty great. Definitely a nice addition this year.

The outdoor haunts were definitely weaker this year. It's probably all related to staffing but I still took note of them:

- Bayou was a favorite of ours for the past 3 years and this year a good chunk of lighting was out and there was a noticeable lack of "screamsters". Also, a lot of standing around and no attempts to scare us or groups around us. Weakest one by far this year.

- Trail of the Forsaken was short when the previous haunts (Screamworks and Fright Zone) went the full length of Frontier Trail. The regular screamsters (which there were plenty of) weren't doing much at all but the sliding ones and one with the horn were on their game.

- Harvest Fear was alright. It never stuck out to us too much in the past but it's fun one that doesn't need many staff to make it good thanks to all the booths to look at (even if they only take 5 seconds of our time).

- Tombstone Terror-tory was fun. A lot of fun interactions even if they weren't scaring us. (No sir, we don't want to buy your horse!)

- Cut Throat Cove...wow. Simply the best this year. In past years it was pretty average but this year, every single screamster was on point. My group (5 of us) got "spooked" a good 3 times each, every time we went through.

- Skipped CornStalkers since we only saw one screamster last year and there was a line this year. Paired with the obvious staffing issues, skipping seemed like a good idea.

Well worth the trip and we'll probably do HalloWeekends in September again next year, maybe the second weekend though. Probably won't do late October again.

Has anyone notices this Last Coffin thing on the Cedar Point Site. Has anyone done this yet?

https://www.cedarpoint.com/halloweekends/haunt/attractions/frontier-fling-buried-alive

They added it to my location so I had the chance to do it (and operate/supervise a coffin lol). If you're claustrophobic, I think it will very much play with your mind. Otherwise, I think its simply and cool fun experience. It basically takes you from wake to burial, with a variety of effects, smells and movements to make you feel like you're moving in a hearse and getting buried 6 feet under.

People seemed to really enjoy the $15 combo deal this weekend that includes the coffin and Frontier Fling.

See Bill, that's an issue I have. Just because I'm an enthusiast and pass holder, does that justify the bad operations

Again, I don’t disagree that it’s not acceptable. That’s not what I’m saying.

I’m saying that when this continues to happen year after year after year (see your post from last year that I just linked to) at some point you need to adjust your expectations or vote with your wallet and stop going. If enthusiasts who should know better keep going and keep acting surprised by this at some point it becomes partially on them.

Bill, just accept the fact that some people aren't happy unless they're bitching. I have no idea why enthusiasts subject themselves to the same circumstances every year and expect a different outcome. Numerous alternatives have been suggested, but no one listens. There's always some kind of road block in front of the logical choice.

It's better to just sit back, relax, and watch people rage out.

It's worth noting that attendance is still down this year even with a strong July/August (something Cedar Fair reported on publicly, which they basically never do otherwise). It's easy to say that we're the only people complaining, but apparently something has trained the guests to stop coming until mid-summer.

Realistically on a Saturday during Halloweekends with Fastlane+ you can still get multiple rides on just about everything you want right? I get that you might not be able to marathon Steel Vengeance and Maverick but 1 or 2 rides on those and multiples on everything else is pretty doable isn't it?

It's worth noting that attendance is still down this year even with a strong July/August (something Cedar Fair reported on publicly, which they basically never do otherwise). It's easy to say that we're the only people complaining, but apparently something has trained the guests to stop coming until mid-summer.

I agree but I think that's a separate point. I'm not saying people aren't complaining, I'm saying if you go year after year and experience the same things over and over again and act surprised every time but KEEP GOING with unrealistic expectations then you're insane (especially if you consider yourself an enthusiast). I totally understand why people would go and then decide not to go back. That's a much more sensible response.

Realistically on a Saturday during Halloweekends with Fastlane+ you can still get multiple rides on just about everything you want right? I get that you might not be able to marathon Steel Vengeance and Maverick but 1 or 2 rides on those and multiples on everything else is pretty doable isn't it?

Easily... especially if you exercise a bit of common sense in planning. If you start at the marina gate I promise you could have multiple rides on Millennium, Valravn, Gatekeeper and Raptor (since it's an early entry ride now apparently) before the park even opens. Then grab a wristband, wait for Dragster to open, hit that, hit Iron Dragon and at that point you can basically do whatever.

Just don't go to Frontiertown during Early Entry if you're getting Fastlane. That's stupid.

I strongly recommended Millennium Force for early entry. You will have no lines, can get the front with minimal added wait, and reride quickly thanks to the wonders of the magic gate.

Millennium Force's FastLane merge point is pretty far back and if you want the front, it can take 30-45 minutes easy later in the day.

Any strategy recommendations if we don't have early entry and just Fastlane+? Our lodging plans are still in flux but sounds like the rest of my group prefers to either get an Air BnB or head back to Cleveland that night instead of staying on property, they're lame haha.

Any strategy recommendations if we don't have early entry and just Fastlane+? Our lodging plans are still in flux but sounds like the rest of my group prefers to either get an Air BnB or head back to Cleveland that night instead of staying on property, they're lame haha.

If you don't have early entry then strategy doesn't really matter. I guess I'd probably suggest riding things like Iron Dragon, Rougarou, Magnum and Dragster early... Iron Dragon because there's no Fastlane, Magnum and Rougarou because you have a long wait from the merge point and they'll be walkons at that point and Dragster because it's going to break 100,000 times later in the day.

Then again, aside from Dragster nobody really wants to get to Cedar Point and run to one of those rides so just do whatever.

If you don't have early entry then strategy doesn't really matter. I guess I'd probably suggest riding things like Iron Dragon, Rougarou, Magnum and Dragster early... Iron Dragon because there's no Fastlane, Magnum and Rougarou because you have a long wait from the merge point and they'll be walkons at that point and Dragster because it's going to break 100,000 times later in the day.

Then again, aside from Dragster nobody really wants to get to Cedar Point and run to one of those rides so just do whatever.

I've always wanted to do that on a day when I know I won't have a problem getting on a park's flagships rides. Show up and run to anything other than one of the park's flagship rides, just for the lolz. More points if it's a ride that people don't even like.

It just struck me that Valravn's color scheme is very close to the branding colors of the park itself. I think the idea was to have the style guide colors of Cedar Point showing prominently on the skyline, right in the middle of the park. The orange/brownish color is an update over the red, but the basic color combination is close to what's been used past and present on uniforms, the website, the logo, etc.

Even the white strip along the spine of Valravn's track fits with the park's use of white text & logotype.

valravn.jpg.6baf03ef886977bdb50cda009d09b32a.jpg

Website menu colors

valravn_1.thumb.jpg.fb8546e2ba7940075ec0c56ba49c080b.jpg

It just struck me that Valravn's color scheme is very close to the branding colors of the park itself. I think the idea was to have the style guide colors of Cedar Point showing prominently on the skyline, right in the middle of the park. The orange/brownish color is an update over the red, but the basic color combination is close to what's been used past and present on uniforms, the website, the logo, etc.

Even the white strip along the spine of Valravn's track fits with the park's use of white text & logotype.

Do you think they'll repaint Valravn when they change the park's colors? I wonder how long it will be until they repaint Dragster and other prominent coasters on the skyline to match the park's style guide.

Do you think they'll repaint Valravn when they change the park's colors? I wonder how long it will be until they repaint Dragster and other prominent coasters on the skyline to match the park's style guide.

If you're being sincere, no, the park isn't going to do that. I notice that this might be sarcasm toward me and the idea of a park referencing a style guide, but it isn't a new concept. My employers and clients have them, update them periodically, and adhere to them. Some people scratched their heads at Valravn's unique colors when the ride was first announced, and the colors make more sense if the park wanted to use them for branding purposes, too.

I deal a lot with corporate style guides. I wish they were all supplied to me as roller coasters rather than PDFs, it would make my job a lot more interesting.

Hah, agreed! I've gone over color swatches with branding teams, and sometimes I'll think, "Oh, now that would be a handsome coaster."

Just watched a video on instagram of Steel Vengeance flying through the mid-course, not getting trimmed at all. The user reported that every single run was like that, the trims have never activated.

The video was on @mac.rides instagram story if you'd like to see it for yourself.

^I rode it about 6 times last night. One was trimmed hard but most of them were only slightly trimmed, to the point where you could barely feel it at all. It’s overcast and a little chilly today, as it was last night as well, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the ride isn’t trimming as hard as the trains might be going slower to begin with.

I spent Saturday at Cedar point for my first visit in like 11 years and we had an absolutely incredible day. The weather was great and it was crowded but with Fastlane+ we were able to get multiple rides on everything with no issues. I think our longest wait with fastlane+ was maybe around 50 minutes for Dragster but it might have been down before that so the line backed up a bit. I think we managed something like 30+ total rides included multiples on everything in the park (2 on Dragster/MF/GK/maverick, 3 on SV/Valravn/Raptor/magnum) on a Saturday during Halloween so the Fastlane was totally worth every penny. Just a few thoughts.....

The park was really clean and looked great, I didn't see anything anywhere that looks like what was described in this thread a few pages back. We didn't eat at any restaurants but had plenty of snacks and drinks and the food lines were all perfectly manageable. Chik Fila line was spilling out of the building at one point but the food trucks n stuff were all fine.

Operations on the rides were incredible, whatever staffing issues people were talking about last weekend didn't seem to effect the rides, 3 trains on almost everything from open to close and the crews were all great.

It had been a while since I'd been to CP but all of the stuff that was "new" to me looks incredible, the boardwalk area and kids section around Gatekeeper and WT, the Midway around Valravn, the Gemini Midway, the main entrance, the whole place just felt really alive and vibrant. Also, that park at night is something else, all of the light packages they've added to the ferris wheel, wind seeker, and the coasters just really looked awesome at night.

The Halloween event, looked great, the Midnight Syndicate show was kinda cheesy/fun, the kids stuff all looked like a blast......but the scare zones ugh, not very good. The house lines were pretty long so we avoided them, but did go through Deprivation and.......WTF was that? No wonder there was no line for it. Based on the other reviews and the scare zones I'm glad we didn't waste any time on the houses.

Steel Vengeance: Wow, what else can be said, totally awesome ride. I didn't find it "rough" or "uncomfortable" but it was very intense. The intensity alone kind of reminded me of Voyage opening year when it was still smooth and good, we got off Vengeance kind of out of breath from bracing through the whole thing but it was awesome. We got 3 rides on it, 2 up front and 1 in the back, don't really know where I prefer it's just awesome all over but.......

Maverick: Still my favorite at the park, and in the world, this thing is just awesome, the launches, the intensity, the variety of inversions yeah maverick is still my favorite coaster in the world.

Valravn: The surprise of the trip, I was just expecting Sheikra, one trick pony big drop and then a boring layout, but that thing was so much fun. Incredible view from up top, loved the lights under the drop, fun layout, and the Fastlane line was super short so we hit it like 3 times. Loved it.

Millennium Force is still fun, still an incredible drop, there was bit more floater air on the two hills than I remember but layout after the drop is still mostly forgettable but whatever, it's long and super fast and smooth.

Rougarou: So much better as a Floorless, and I love the colors of that thing. Another surprise.

Gatekeeper: This was new for me, it's not a top 10 ride or anything but I loved the keyhole interactions and the wing over drop thing. A bit more intense then I was expecting, really fun ride. Also, do people still complain about the B&M vest restraints? I had absolutely no issues with them, don't see what the fuss is about.

Raptor: Still rocks after all these years, my goodness that thing is intense and I love it. The tracer lights on teh ground under the cobra roll were a really cool touch, and the same thing with the lights under the drop on Valravn, super cool.

Magnum: Running great, I ended the night on it and stayed on for a couple of laps, clearly not the star of the park anymore but just as fun as I remember. Also, the trim in the turn around wasn't on at all, has this been the case for a while? With no trim the return run to the station was violent, but in a good way haha.

Great day overall, can't wait to get back again maybe sometime sooner than 11 years this time.